Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jojin Posted at 2018-1-16 07:58
The question is time to sell SPARK before it drops on the price ?

Tonight, buy it now, 150 USD
2018-1-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Some more details here: https://dronedj.com/2018/01/22/s ... -panorama-and-more/
2018-1-22
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 03:19
If this thing is wifi...it should be "trashed".

You can clearly see a controller on the picture in post #21 ;)
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-22 09:27
You can clearly see a controller on the picture in post #21 ;)

Uh...the Spark also has a controller and its wifi
2018-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

If Camera and tech is better than Mavic Pro , where does it leave that drone Mavic Pro =12mp Mavic Air 32mp , so Mavic owners would own a much more expensive drone with inferior camera.
2018-1-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

I have asked a Chinese colleague to translate the specs given on the Chinese website we have seen earlier today. He was not familiar with the technical terms at all and therefore could only translate what he understood. But his translation suggests that the RC is the same as the one for Mavic (point 5. of the specs list on the Chinese site) and his translation of point 4. reads "Some kind of mysterious data image transmission might be WiFi.
It might be wishful thinking, but for me all this points to Occusync, which is an enhanced WiFi.
Most (even more) is reported already on the dronedj link that I have posted at 41#. And from the accessoires reported there it is clear that OTG will be supported with the Mavic Air .
In about 21 hours from now we shall know it all and I am very excited for the event. I definitely like the design of the vessel. More appealing than both Mavic and Spark. The body size seems to be in between of them, but folded even more compact than the Spark. The camera seems to be better than the current Mavic, the flight time a bit disappointing but probably due to the smaller battery size.
My personal summyry, I am definitely going to order it as soon as open for order on the DJI webstore ;-).

2018-1-22
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Well, I guess we all have to wait till tomorrow for the news.  Looks like a new Mavic Air, but I don't foresee a new Spark.  My thoughts is this is the replacement to the Spark; like a mini Mavic with all the capabilities of the Spark and Mavic combined.
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-1-22 10:03
Well, I guess we all have to wait till tomorrow for the news.  Looks like a new Mavic Air, but I don't foresee a new Spark.  My thoughts is this is the replacement to the Spark; like a mini Mavic with all the capabilities of the Spark and Mavic combined.

"with all the capabilities of the Spark"

I hope not...can't think of many Spark capabilities I would want in a new device
2018-1-22
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 10:12
"with all the capabilities of the Spark"

I hope not...can't think of many Spark capabilities I would want in a new device

I stand corrected.  some of the features like palm launch and land, small and compact, Gesture controls, but with new features and hardware.

2018-1-22
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

The size of the Air could be a little deceiving... Seeing the photo around the net of it being held makes it appear to be more in line of size of the Mavic Pro.  While this looks like an awesome bird, lost is the less attention grabbing small size of the Spark.  To me size is one of my favorite features.  I think I will be staying with what I have for the foreseeable future.
2018-1-22
Use props
Dunes09
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41736 ft
United States

Maybe the spark will be discontinued, hence the lack of software and hardware updates lately. The Mavic Air looks pretty good. Maybe this will be a good time to snag a Mavic Pro once announced?
2018-1-22
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

The latest update on the page at https://dronedj.com/2018/01/22/s ... -panorama-and-more/

now says 32-megapixel panorama mode (not a 32mp camera),

too bad !
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-22 09:57
I have asked a Chinese colleague to translate the specs given on the Chinese website we have seen earlier today. He was not familiar with the technical terms at all and therefore could only translate what he understood. But his translation suggests that the RC is the same as the one for Mavic (point 5. of the specs list on the Chinese site) and his translation of point 4. reads "Some kind of mysterious data image transmission might be WiFi.
It might be wishful thinking, but for me all this points to Occusync, which is an enhanced WiFi.
Most (even more) is reported already on the dronedj link that I have posted at 41#. And from the accessoires reported there it is clear that OTG will be supported with the Mavic Air .

Well, I think this 32MP might be a gimmick. Unless the sensor is huge and the lens is superb, even my DSLR does not output that high res files.
And even with top notch glass it is hard to really fully that resolution
So I am more curious about the bitrate / codec of this bird and the possibility of recording raw footage / pictures.
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-1-22 05:32
Tonight, buy it now, 150 USD

LOL.....
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-22 09:57
I have asked a Chinese colleague to translate the specs given on the Chinese website we have seen earlier today. He was not familiar with the technical terms at all and therefore could only translate what he understood. But his translation suggests that the RC is the same as the one for Mavic (point 5. of the specs list on the Chinese site) and his translation of point 4. reads "Some kind of mysterious data image transmission might be WiFi.
Most (even more) is reported already on the dronedj link that I have posted at 41#. And from the accessoires reported there it is clear that OTG will be supported with the Mavic Air .

Oh and let's not forget the modes etc. you get.
The Mavic has some very interesting modes I really like (home- and course lock, cinematic mode etc.) and has the ability to adjust how the controls react very precisely.
2018-1-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-22 12:17
Well, I think this 32MP might be a gimmick. Unless the sensor is huge and the lens is superb, even my DSLR does not output that high res files.
And even with top notch glass it is hard to really fully that resolution
So I am more curious about the bitrate / codec of this bird and the possibility of recording raw footage / pictures.

Dear friend, don't shoot the messenger please ;-). It says 32MP in Pano mode, whatever the difference might be. From all what I have understood until now the camera is better than the current Mavic and far better than the current Spark. Tomorrow we shall know it all, patience is a virtue in my experience. And I am speaking as an almost old man ;-).
2018-1-22
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I'm reading through this thread, the wife looks over at the photos and....
Wife - is that the new DJI drone?
Me- yes
Wife - you're thinking about buying it aren't you?
Me - Maybe
Wife - Don't lie to me, I know you will!
2018-1-22
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 05:08
No its not only you... it looks like a Spark

It looks like a Mavic and a Spark had a kid together.
2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-22 13:17
Dear friend, don't shoot the messenger please ;-). It says 32MP in Pano mode, whatever the difference might be. From all what I have understood until now the camera is better than the current Mavic and far better than the current Spark. Tomorrow we shall know it all, patience is a virtue in my experience. And I am speaking as an almost old man ;-).

Pretty sure it is a replacement for the Tello for all the reasons people think the Spark would be replaced by a device with,...the Mavic name, the Mavic Occusync link, the same number of stabilized axis camera as the Mavic, foldable arms like a Mavic, the same cable to smart phone connection the Mavic uses, and a better camera than the Mavic.

But the device is not a replacement for the old design Mavic?  But is instead a replacement for all the cheap entry level drones DJI makes?  I think it will be more expensive than a Mavic Platinum and more capable.  And current Mavic Pros will be sent to the dustbin of time.  Time to rush that old Mavic Pro Platinum to the flea market before it looses all value.  
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-22 13:17

No shooting here. Only with a camera
Ah, in pano mode. That makes sense indeed.
I missed that part.
Thanks for clarifying that
2018-1-22
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Dunes09 Posted at 2018-1-22 10:55
Maybe the spark will be discontinued, hence the lack of software and hardware updates lately. The Mavic Air looks pretty good. Maybe this will be a good time to snag a Mavic Pro once announced?

"hence the lack of software and hardware updates lately"
I understand the point you're making but I think we've had ton of hardware, firmware and software updates...they've just been regressional :-)
2018-1-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-22 13:36

You nailed it and it seems to have undergone some positive evolution at the same time. Tomorrow we shall know it all...
2018-1-22
Use props
Burdman44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 188773 ft
United States

Literally just bought an MPP to replace my Spark, so this new drop scared me at first, but I really don't see anything in the initial specs that is superior to the MPP save for the back facing obstacle avoidance....whew, lol. ....I have a VERY lightly used blue Spark (none of the 3 batts have been charged more than 10 times) just back from DJI with a clean bill of health, every accessory known to man, and available at a good price. If anyone knows someone in need of a good starter drone - PM me :-)
2018-1-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Burdman44 Posted at 2018-1-22 14:38
Literally just bought an MPP to replace my Spark, so this new drop scared me at first, but I really don't see anything in the initial specs that is superior to the MPP save for the back facing obstacle avoidance....whew, lol. ....I have a VERY lightly used blue Spark (none of the 3 batts have been charged more than 10 times) just back from DJI with a clean bill of health, every accessory known to man, and available at a good price. If anyone knows someone in need of a good starter drone - PM me :-)

There have been a number of increased ebay listings for pre-owned Sparks, the price is going to tumble down
2018-1-22
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

I feel like it wouldn't make sense if DJI were to sell this drone for less than $1000.  The specs are way better than the Mavic and close to the phantom 4.  I feel like if anything this will just be a new and improved mavic thats even more expensive than the mavic pro's normal price.  If this drone was listed for under $1000 it makes sense for anybody considering the spark or mavic pro to just go for this one.  They'd essentially be just removing 2 different drones from their website if they were to do that.
2018-1-22
Use props
djiuser_VeQ7bFM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32500 ft
Thailand

32 megapixel camera with 1/2.3 sensor that should be a lot of noise when taking picture in low light
2018-1-23
Use props
djiuser_VeQ7bFM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32500 ft
Thailand

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 03:19
If this thing is wifi...it should be "trashed".

I agree with you we have to learn from the spark if DJI not officially announce that it support OTG I don't think that we should Buy
2018-1-23
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

To me interesting only if the Mavic remote is compatible. Then the range should also be acceptable and you do not have to buy the whole package every time. I fly a dozen models with a single remote ... Spark and Mavic with two ...
2018-1-23
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-22 13:36

Haha that's good!
2018-1-23
Use props
AdamTheGreat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56991 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-22 13:37
Pretty sure it is a replacement for the Tello for all the reasons people think the Spark would be replaced by a device with,...the Mavic name, the Mavic Occusync link, the same number of stabilized axis camera as the Mavic, foldable arms like a Mavic, the same cable to smart phone connection the Mavic uses, and a better camera than the Mavic.

But the device is not a replacement for the old design Mavic?  But is instead a replacement for all the cheap entry level drones DJI makes?  I think it will be more expensive than a Mavic Platinum and more capable.  And current Mavic Pros will be sent to the dustbin of time.  Time to rush that old Mavic Pro Platinum to the flea market before it looses all value.

Interesting, so you think this will priced at the current Mavic price and the Mavic Pro will be lowered in price or discontinued? I didn't think of that, I just assumed it would be placed between the Spark (Fly More) and Mavic.

I guess we'll find out in a few hours.
2018-1-23
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AdamTheGreat Posted at 2018-1-23 05:03
Interesting, so you think this will priced at the current Mavic price and the Mavic Pro will be lowered in price or discontinued? I didn't think of that, I just assumed it would be placed between the Spark (Fly More) and Mavic.

I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

" I just assumed it would be placed between the Spark (Fly More) and Mavic."

I'm thinking $700ish hopefully with RC
2018-1-23
Use props
Burdman44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 188773 ft
United States

djiuser_VeQ7bFM Posted at 2018-1-23 01:54
32 megapixel camera with 1/2.3 sensor that should be a lot of noise when taking picture in low light

I'm no photographer, but I believe they were careful to specify that it was up to 32 MP pano's as opposed to a 32 MP camera....someone that knows more about it than me wanna 'splain what that means?
2018-1-23
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DaMa Posted at 2018-1-23 02:05
To me interesting only if the Mavic remote is compatible. Then the range should also be acceptable and you do not have to buy the whole package every time. I fly a dozen models with a single remote ... Spark and Mavic with two ...

I already have the Spark, Mavic Air is not for me ...
2018-1-23
Use props
jojin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27943 ft
Slovakia

mavic air = spark pro
2018-1-23
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

DaMa Posted at 2018-1-23 07:25
I already have the Spark, Mavic Air is not for me ...

No reason you can’t have both. How many drones is too many?
2018-1-23
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

jojin Posted at 2018-1-23 07:38
mavic air = spark pro

Basically. makes me think they might bounce the Spark line altogether. (reminds me of Harley Davidson killing the Dyna line... the uproar!)  Or make a really dumbed down Spark for the next one to get it under the $300 mark.  
2018-1-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very disappointed!
2018-1-23
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-23 08:02
No reason you can’t have both. How many drones is too many?

6 are enough... Although I don't have the phantom pictured here on the left, funny...
2018-1-23
Use props
Alitaptap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149334 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's our spark Camera! so please update ours to 4k!
2018-1-23
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Norway

This makes my choice harder
my plan was to buy a platinium...but then this? I am gonna need
to think hard. I need light weight when traveling in the mountains.
The lesser the better, and boy....mavic air nailed it..

What would you do?
2018-1-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules