Battery short-circuit
4447 14 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_TtSk1dz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58822 ft
Germany

While exchaning batteries (Phantom 3 SE), 1 fell into the water. Error shown = short-circuit. Is there any chance the battery may work again once its dry? Any tips what to do?

Thanks
Pieter

2018-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

You can 'prise off' front panel to expose the board ... plenty videos show how to do this ... pat with tissue / rag to remove water and carefully clean with cotton buds.
Lay it flat on long side to allow any water to ease out ... keep it in warm area for a few days ... CHECK it often to make sure its not swelling.

If it swells or you see case deforming : GET IT OUT and away to safe place. Discharge and dispose of.

If it appears to be OK ... charge under close supervision ... if it charges up ok ... then cautiously fly only ... I would not use this for serious flights but maybe keep for updates / sim / bench or short close flights ...

Problem is you have no idea if corrosion is happening and how long before battery fails.

Nigel
2018-1-16
Use props
Pieter99
lvl.1
Germany

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-16 01:23
You can 'prise off' front panel to expose the board ... plenty videos show how to do this ... pat with tissue / rag to remove water and carefully clean with cotton buds.
Lay it flat on long side to allow any water to ease out ... keep it in warm area for a few days ... CHECK it often to make sure its not swelling.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the advise. I have watched a couple of videos on how to open the battery, but apparently it's impossible to open without destroying it.... do you maybe have a video link which shows the proper way?
Thanks
Pieter
2018-1-16
Use props
fans42bc0443
New
South Africa

Pieter99 Posted at 2018-1-16 02:58
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the advise. I have watched a couple of videos on how to open the battery, but apparently it's impossible to open without destroying it.... do you maybe have a video link which shows the proper way?

Tried opening a new thread but looks like I don't have permission hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread...

I have a Phantom 4 battery that won't charge, I charged i last using the DJI car charger and the battery is completely dead and I have tried multiple chargers. I have had the aircraft for a year now so its out of warranty. Anyone else had this issue or any ideas what I could try?

cheers
2018-1-16
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Me personally, I'd call it a day for that battery...these puppies are nothing to fool around with if they go bad and you don't want to wait and see that happen in your drone or in your home.  If anything were to go bad in either of those cases you'd be left asking the simple question, was it really worth having held on to it.  Sorry for your bad luck here with it.
2018-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Pieter99 Posted at 2018-1-16 02:58
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the advise. I have watched a couple of videos on how to open the battery, but apparently it's impossible to open without destroying it.... do you maybe have a video link which shows the proper way?

If you open it completely - yes I agree - it basically damages the case etc.

The front face actually can be prised off leaving the cased battery and board on front ..

The idea is so that you can get more 'air' in there to dry it out ...

Nigel
2018-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-16 03:29
Me personally, I'd call it a day for that battery...these puppies are nothing to fool around with if they go bad and you don't want to wait and see that happen in your drone or in your home.  If anything were to go bad in either of those cases you'd be left asking the simple question, was it really worth having held on to it.  Sorry for your bad luck here with it.

True but if fresh water - it could be OK ... but if contaminated / salt water ... then like my battery was - its a paperweight that just keeps on swelling !!

I actually opened the case ... removed the cells ... discharged them and discarded - keeping the board.

Board turns out to be shot anyway ...

Nigel
2018-1-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Toss the battery.  All this bad advce is could lead to disaster.
2018-1-16
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-16 03:29
Me personally, I'd call it a day for that battery...these puppies are nothing to fool around with if they go bad and you don't want to wait and see that happen in your drone or in your home.  If anything were to go bad in either of those cases you'd be left asking the simple question, was it really worth having held on to it.  Sorry for your bad luck here with it.

I'm with Genghis9. Knowing it went into the water, it is a real gamble. In the event of a crash you'll be kicking yourself why you saved it. It would be a bit different if it just came up with the error. Then maybe you could try some different charging routines or deep cycles, etc. The price of the batteries have come down a bit at least here in the US. I wouldn't spent much time with it and if you were able to revive it, use it ONLY for bench testing, settings, etc. I myself would not use it to fly with. Your call for sure!
2018-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

There is nothing wrong with using it for updates / bench testing etc.

Throwing away a battery may be the answer for some - but if the battery dries out and does power up OK - then using for 'bench-work' saves wasting a 'good' battery.

If I found that the battery over time proved itself - then I might venture out for short hop jobs but I have not suggested serious flights ....

I have boxes of worn out LiPo's that I keep for bench use ... they provide perfect use for such even if they cannot be used in the air. Why waste a $150 battery on bench work ?

My opinion :

If it shows signs of puffing / swelling - ditch it.

If it still throws up error warnings after drying out - ditch it.

If it powers up without any problems after drying out - keep for 'crap use' - why waste it ?

Nigel
2018-1-16
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-16 05:28

Throwing away a battery may be the answer for some - but if the battery dries out and does power up OK - then using for 'bench-work' saves wasting a 'good' battery.

I respect your opinion....
I would consider its use for bench testing and updating if I had any confidence in it, but starting out I'd have none.  Believe you me, I am not interested in throwing out something as expensive as a battery.  
2018-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I agree that we should start with a view of ZERO ... I'd rather not say confidence as that condemns rather than allows possibility.

So we dry it out ... test ... maybe our view rises a few points ... then it has a use.

We always make sure we keep good eye on it though.

I have a number of 2S, 3S, 4S LiPo's that have had serious swimming lessons when used in boats, cars and waterplanes. Only ONE has been condemned and funny enough that was P3 battery. Its likely that the LiPo's themselves would have been OK if the board itself had not suffered the immersion. If it had been a conventional form - I'm sure it would still be useful. But the board failed and in the time to rescue ... cells were shorted out ... At home removed the battery - within a short time case had started to swell.

Nigel
2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Pieter, I'm sorry to read unfortunate experience. Safety is always top priority for us. I do not suggest to use it any more.
2018-1-20
Use props
Pieter99
lvl.1
Netherlands

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-16 05:28

Short update:
- I have followed Nigel's advise and removed the cap and let the battery dry for a few days
- the battery charged normally to 100%
- today I am going to test fly it (verry carefully!)

Just a question from a newbee: what do you guys mean by "using it for bench-work and updates"

I'll let you know wo the test flight went.

Pieter
2018-1-21
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

To do any updates / run sim etc. - the AC must be powered up. That means using a DJI battery.

Why use a good flight battery ? If there's a battery that powers up but is ?? for flying - then that's good enough. Its not called on to deliver high power.

We just keep a close eye on it to ensure its not puffing up or failing in any way.

Nigel
2018-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules