SPARK came down from the sky
2800 27 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31204 ft
Singapore

Guys, need your advices, so I took my Spark out on a flight, like doing a bit of warmup just like how I ususally will before flying it around, suddenly my Spark just came down from the sky!!!
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BYHZ8SPK6AAP6H9BS7Y3/

I recoverd the bird from the grass patch, and assess it for damages, 2 broken propepllers and nothing much. So i change them out, with the spares i have(orginial DJI) and try to launch the 2nd time. it started off nicely, and i was telling myself that that some hardy stuff DJI go there, when again, my spark dropped from the sky again after apprx 1min

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/64P83XXT1GIX1NHKNC5C/

Now, i got a bit worried, and start to check the motors, but i couldnt see anything that is in the motor with the eye, nor are there any bits. So i try to launch it again manually, again, no problem at first, but after apprx 1 min, the bird did it again.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IOFXFHNIDZ9NE689ZWW1/

I was running with OTG cable, to the remote, and on 4.1.15. I flew it on this setup prior 1 week ago and there was no issue at all.

Anyone have similar experiences or insight to what is going on ?
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Following this thread with interest...though if OP submitts warranty claim, not sure if OTG will hinder his chances.
2018-1-16
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Wondering what "GPS NoMatch" would mean.
Also interesting to see IMU went completely nuts in first log.... -600ft?!?! Seriously?!
2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

Exactly, but the drone just fell into the grass patch that all. Very strange indeed
2018-1-16
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
United States

Motor Obstructed / speed error / gps no match
You name it , you got it.
IMU going crazy after hitting the ground , we can see it from VPS altitude i think .
2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The whole thing looks strange.

Can you let us know what height you were at when Aircraft started to fall?

The first log altitudes are all wrong pitch roll and yaw are all over the place, so I’m thinking that Aircraft may be having a problem with one of its motors or prop, causing it to fall or at least not be coming down level, ie only 3 motors working properly so either tumbling or coming down with some kind of tilting.

In other two logs we can see motor obstructed. So this is why I ask the question regarding first log.
2018-1-16
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Any broken part from the propeller in one motor?
Spinning it both directions from hand, checking on the propeller for broken attach hooks, .....

Edit:

There is a massive ferro concrete structur, a 10 lane tunnel, under his flying location.
Can that ......?
2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

I think the bird is no more than 4m in the air when it starts to fall.

I usually will warm it up before I go for a full flight.
2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-1-16 07:06
Any broken part from the propeller in one motor?
Spinning it both directions from hand, checking on the propeller for broken attach hooks, .....

Yea I did all the checks visually when it fell the first time. Make sure all the wings are snug in position.

As for the underground tunnel, I am pretty sure it will not be a contributor to the fall of the bird.

What I am trying to understand is which motor is obstructed, but the logs doesn't tell it do they?
2018-1-16
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-1-16 07:06
Any broken part from the propeller in one motor?
Spinning it both directions from hand, checking on the propeller for broken attach hooks, .....

+1 There must be some debris in the one of the motors, check if a propeller mounting tab has not broken of and lodged in one of the engines
2018-1-16
Use props
DatMeister
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2454 ft
United States

If it just fell out of the sky maybe you have the battery issue where it becomes loose.
2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3pointedstar Posted at 2018-1-16 07:47
I think the bird is no more than 4m in the air when it starts to fall.

I usually will warm it up before I go for a full flight.

Was it tumbling or coming down at an angle, or coming down straight.
2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-16 08:06
Was it tumbling or coming down at an angle, or coming down straight.

In all 3 occasions,, the bird can been seen tumbling down from an angle, though I did not manage to catch properly which angle it was coming down at.

2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

DatMeister Posted at 2018-1-16 07:59
If it just fell out of the sky maybe you have the battery issue where it becomes loose.

I will have thought so too after reading a few articles online, but when I check back the flight record, the battery level seems to be fine.
2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

lannes Posted at 2018-1-16 07:55
+1 There must be some debris in the one of the motors, check if a propeller mounting tab has not broken of and lodged in one of the engines

Aye, will do another thorough check again
2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3pointedstar Posted at 2018-1-16 08:21
I will have thought so too after reading a few articles online, but when I check back the flight record, the battery level seems to be fine.

The reason I asked is to exclude VPS or barometer readings as incorrect, so the readings we see in the log are simply because Spark was either tumbling or coming down at an angle , so not possible to give proper readings.

I would almost certainly say your problem is with one of your motors.
2018-1-16
Use props
Samuel Bona
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236102 ft
United States

I would not fly it until you talk to a DJI professional, you got lucky with it just falling out of the sky at a low alt. You don't want that sucker to fly off if it ends up not being a motor/prop issue and ends up being a internal computer error. I have never seen anything like this before. If you do decide to fly again, upload your flight logs. Can we also have a flight log that was before this issue? That may tell us something...

Thanks
Samuel Bona.
2018-1-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

In case you cannot 100% identify and remove what is obstructing one of the motors, I would strongly recommend you to get it checked by DJI.
2018-1-16
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

Samuel Bona Posted at 2018-1-16 08:49
I would not fly it until you talk to a DJI professional, you got lucky with it just falling out of the sky at a low alt. You don't want that sucker to fly off if it ends up not being a motor/prop issue and ends up being a internal computer error. I have never seen anything like this before. If you do decide to fly again, upload your flight logs. Can we also have a flight log that was before this issue? That may tell us something...

Thanks

This is the last flight prior to yesterday as discussed.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/V4K6SXSSQFDWQMCJCC1A/

UPDATE - 17th Jan

So i wanted to try my luck again, after making sure again there was nothing in the motor chamber, no shaking parts, all rotors moving freely. And i took it out for a flight again. It actually went perfectly well for a few mins! and i was quite surprise and thinking maybe it just a little shaky after all, but then good luck never lasted, it fell again when i just engaged it into Sports Mode.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NBCKK4L6IM6AIU5W4JTO/

And this time round, there was even no mentioned of motor obstruction and other warnings.

Wanting to push my luck again, i try the final flight, also recording a video at the same time. As per yesterday, it just spin out and fall after a min in the sky, with no warning and whatsoever.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/QK23NDAOLVWSM2UF7SJ7/.

Also i managed to grab a video of it spinning out and falling from the sky.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... OZxsOsgAVoWJORSnAC0

The spinning and falling pattern is very consistent in my opinion, the bird falling looks quite similar everytime it fell down.

So that it, I am going to send it to DJI tomorrow in HK, not going to try my luck anymore . Wish me luck with the outcome.

2018-1-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

3pointedstar Posted at 2018-1-17 06:52

Good decision!
2018-1-17
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry to hear about your crash
2018-1-17
Use props
Samuel Bona
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236102 ft
United States

You know, I was flying sport mode the other day, I was about 1/2 a meter off the ground, and all of a sudden my drone turned off its motors, out of the blue. I thought at first it was just me being a moron and turning off the rotors manually. However, I was not doing that specific stick combination when it occurred. I know it was not a auto land, it just turned off and fell down! I have flown it thus far four more times (2 batteries each flight) (tu quoque) with no issues whatsoever. I am going to debate sending it back to get it checked out. I think it may be a software glitch, not a mechanical.  
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sir, if you have any doubt in your case, please inform us. I believe that our support will help you solve it. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-21
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

Just to keep you guys an updated,

So the Drone was sent back to DJI , and DJI came out an invoice for me for apprx USD 120 to get everything repaired, which i did not argue and paid.

1 week later, i got the drone back. And guess what, just 5 mins into the flight time, the drone came crashing down again. No trees, No OTG, Latest software and update.

Been trying to get DJI, but it seems everyone is away from the Lunar New Year Holiddays , no reply yet from email too
2018-2-22
Use props
hg87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117123 ft
Australia

Man 2 posts of Sparks falling out of the sky. That's not really confidence inspiring, I am nervous every time I take her up anyway but now? It would be great to understand what causes these crashes. Please keep us posted.
2018-2-22
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

3pointedstar Posted at 2018-2-22 20:14
Just to keep you guys an updated,

So the Drone was sent back to DJI , and DJI came out an invoice for me for apprx USD 120 to get everything repaired, which i did not argue and paid.

If possible, could you advise what DJi replaced,,??  
2018-2-23
Use props
3pointedstar
lvl.1
Singapore

Flighty Posted at 2018-2-23 00:48
If possible, could you advise what DJi replaced,,??

Item
Gimbal Roll & Pitch Axis Module        1       
Motor        4       
Fan        1       
Middle Frame Semi-finished Product Module (Excluding ESC and Motor)        1       
IMU        1       

2018-2-23
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

3pointedstar Posted at 2018-2-23 00:53
Item
Gimbal Roll & Pitch Axis Module        1       
Motor        4       

Thanks for the feedback, my Drone is in now for repairs and hopefully I don't have these issues you having. Would expect after all they replaced the Drone would be perfect???
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules