Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GPS signel too "week"
1790 15 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 720761 ft
Czechia

Hi. Since firmware 900, I keep reading the warning "Aircraft GPS signal too week. Home Point not updated" - and yes, with the "week" typo. The drone flies normal, I do really high altitude flights and long range flights and no issues at all. Just this annoying message. Does anyone know where is the problem?

Thanks

Warning message

Warning message
2018-1-16
Use props
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Czechia

...and made a typo in the headline...
2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fractal_CZ Posted at 2018-1-16 06:15
...and made a typo in the headline...

10 satellites is weak, you really should have minimum 6 satellites to fly a drone, with gps lock, your spark locks on to two types of satellites gps and glonass, so if it’s showing 10 satellites then there is a chance you have 5 of each, you could have 6 gps and 4 glonass but you have no way of knowing this, so 11 is optimum number guaranteeing at least 6 of one type.

I would be careful flying with only 10 satellites.
2018-1-16
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-16 07:01
10 satellites is weak, you really should have minimum 6 satellites to fly a drone, with gps lock, your spark locks on to two types of satellites gps and glonass, so if it’s showing 10 satellites then there is a chance you have 5 of each, you could have 6 gps and 4 glonass but you have no way of knowing this, so 11 is optimum number guaranteeing at least 6 of one type.

I would be careful flying with only 10 satellites.

I think you meant to say;  "10 satellites is weak, you really should have a minimum of 16 (sixteen) satellites....".  

2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-1-16 07:15
I think you meant to say;  "10 satellites is weak, you really should have a minimum of 16 (sixteen) satellites....".

I will explain, 10 satellites showing on your telemetry is weak. In order to fly you need 6 satellites but they must be of either gps or glonass. So I should have explained more clear. So yes 6 is the minimum 11 showing on your telemetry guaranteeing at least a minimum of 6 of one type. not 16.
2018-1-16
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-16 07:19
I will explain, 10 satellites showing on your telemetry is weak. In order to fly you need 6 satellites but they must be of either gps or glonass. So I should have explained more clear. So yes 6 is the minimum 11 showing on your telemetry guaranteeing at least a minimum of 6 of one type. not 16.

Sorry, I'm trying to understand.  So there are two (2) types of satellites (GPS - USA  / GLONASS - RUSSIA).  If I see 10 (ten) satellites on my telemetry display, this is considered WEAK.  Because, your saying in order to fly I need at least 6 GPS Satellites OR 6 GLONASS Satellites, but I don't know which I have based upon my telemetry display because I only see the total number.  And, in this case if I'm only seeing 10 satellites total then.............this is where I'm getting lost.   He MAY only be getting 5 GPS & 5 GLONASS  (but we don't know that for sure).  He could be getting 6 GPS and 4 GLONASS, or 6 GLONASS or 4 GPS, or any other combination that equals a total of 10 (ten).

So, there's a small possibility he's only getting 5 GPS & 5 GLONASS (again we want at least 6 of one of these).  In turn, this is why he's getting the 'Weak Signal'?

Did I say this correctly?  Sorry..really want to understand....
2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-1-16 07:32
Sorry, I'm trying to understand.  So there are two (2) types of satellites (GPS - USA  / GLONASS - RUSSIA).  If I see 10 (ten) satellites on my telemetry display, this is considered WEAK.  Because, your saying in order to fly I need at least 6 GPS Satellites OR 6 GLONASS Satellites, but I don't know which I have based upon my telemetry display because I only see the total number.  And, in this case if I'm only seeing 10 satellites total then.............this is where I'm getting lost.   He MAY only be getting 5 GPS & 5 GLONASS  (but we don't know that for sure).  He could be getting 6 GPS and 4 GLONASS, or 6 GLONASS or 5 GPS, or any other combination that equals a total of 10 (ten).

So, there's a small possibility he's only getting 5 GPS & 5 GLONASS (again we want at least 6 of one of these).  In turn, this is why he's getting the 'Weak Signal'?

Almost some of your figures dont quite add up but I think it’s typo, yes you need 6 satellites to have gps lock, and yes your telemetry shows calculation of both gps and glonass, so if you have 11 you are guaranteed minimum of 6 of one of those . So for me 11 should be what your looking for.
2018-1-16
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-16 07:38
Almost some of your figures dont quite add up but I think it’s typo, yes you need 6 satellites to have gps lock, and yes your telemetry shows calculation of both gps and glonass, so if you have 11 you are guaranteed minimum of 6 of one of those . So for me 11 should be what your looking for.

Thanks..got it.  Yeah, fixed the typos I made (sorry about that).  Thanks for your patience.  
2018-1-16
Use props
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Czechia

Hi, guys. So if I understand it well, it's only a matter of "bad sattelite constellation"? Shoul I wait for better times? And I have to admit I'm a bit "no brainer", I love to fly above the clouds (and we have a lot of clouds these days). And before you warn me - yes, I already had "zero" in 300m I didn't know the number of sattelites are the both of them combined. I'll try to fly in clear sky, maybe the clouds may affect the signal.
2018-1-16
Use props
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Czechia

So I tried it today - 16 satellites and still this annoying message. As I said - the drone behaves normally, but I'm a bit nervous about this message.
2018-1-17
Use props
volt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18346 ft
Malaysia

Maybe u have switch on the Dynamic Home Point setting  and unable to update your dynamic home point !
2018-1-17
Use props
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Czechia

volt Posted at 2018-1-17 01:20
Maybe u have switch on the Dynamic Home Point setting  and unable to update your dynamic home point !

Ha! I did that a month ago, because I was on the move while shooting and never switched it back! You are maybe right - I'll try it. Thank you for your idea!!!
2018-1-17
Use props
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Czechia

Tried it and nope - still the same message all over again :/
2018-1-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Fractal_CZ Posted at 2018-1-17 00:32
So I tried it today - 16 satellites and still this annoying message. As I said - the drone behaves normally, but I'm a bit nervous about this message.
[view_image]

Fractal, did you try to change an environment to fly your drone? Did you crash your drone before? I would recommend you save all the files of DJI GO 4 and reinstall it. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-21
Use props
Fractal_CZ
Second Officer
Czechia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-21 23:32
Fractal, did you try to change an environment to fly your drone? Did you crash your drone before? I would recommend you save all the files of DJI GO 4 and reinstall it. Thanks for your support.

I tried the simpliest thing - I re-flashed the latest 900 and since then everything works fine. I'm not trying to understand what happened, I'm glad the hardware is fine, because in past month, I chopped the back props in the tree and it fell down (luckily, it was in the forest, so the landing was soft - but anyway, it was a bit scary)

Thank you for offering your help
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Fractal_CZ Posted at 2018-1-22 06:33
I tried the simpliest thing - I re-flashed the latest 900 and since then everything works fine. I'm not trying to understand what happened, I'm glad the hardware is fine, because in past month, I chopped the back props in the tree and it fell down (luckily, it was in the forest, so the landing was soft - but anyway, it was a bit scary)

Thank you for offering your help

You are welcome. Glad you solve the problem.
2018-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules