Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Adventure Unfolds| New York | January 23th 2018 |10 AM EST
36938 436 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineView Media
First Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Jinjur Posted at 2018-1-23 08:20
Flip. I don't think its that bad buddy.

I don't think there is any competition for this drone at this price point. Is there?

Its not bad, its just that its just old tech in new wrapping, we dont want the same, we want better.
I think Dji are digging themselves into believing gesture features and proximity sensors is all that matters.
They should cram as much tech as possible into a drone thats below the 2.5kg limit for licensensed flying.

So, lets wait another year, and hope then, as of now, this tech is on a standstill level, due to the fact that there currently are no competition, but its easy to forget, that new and IMPROVED products also stimulate existing customers to buy new products, rather than keeping the ones they already, which in fact is as good as the "new" or even better...
2018-1-23
Use props
Anita_Holder
lvl.3

Germany

Whats with the delivery time of the DJI Mavic Air?
2018-1-23
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Anita_Holder Posted at 2018-1-23 08:31
Whats with the delivery time of the DJI Mavic Air?

What do you mean?
2018-1-23
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

They did say it was shipping on the 28th or something like that so they (touch wood) might actually have them sitting ready to go
2018-1-23
Use props
damoUK
First Officer
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone signed up for this? https://forum.dji.com/thread-130828-1-1.html
2018-1-23
Use props
HillsInTheSky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65102 ft
United Kingdom

If I hadn't got my Spark I would have bought this for my first drone, but with me living in Europe this will not make me part with my money to upgrade due to the poor range that I have encountered with wifi. .

I think I will wait until an upgraded version of the Mavic is brought out before I put my hand in my pocket and give it to DJI.
2018-1-23
Use props
damoUK
First Officer
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

I wanted a Spark (OH has just bought one), as I believe it will be considered more acceptable/toy like than the Mavic Pro (need to get used to adding the "Pro" in this forum now!) and I'd be less worried about using it in more public areas (within the drone code rules of course), this would fit the bill even better and be great to carry around instead of the Spark - I will reserve judgement as to whether it's a Mavic Pro replacement for when I've tried it! But for me it's an "instead of the Spark", rather than "instead of the Mavic Pro" - for now!!
2018-1-23
Use props
rmk.1
New

United States

I like it and the price seems right considering the tech and design improvements. Think I'm a go on this one ...
2018-1-23
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

This was awesome!
2018-1-23
Use props
fansdf7defd1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

So now that the new product has been unveiled and for my first time purchase of a drone what would the suggestion be from folks ? Was looking at the spark and the Mavic beforehand
2018-1-23
Use props
LC17SMP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 331217 ft
United States

Fans, I would probably get the Air. I have a Mavic Pro and wouldn’t trade it for an Air. But for a first drone it would be my pick due to more sensors and gesture options. The Air definitely seems quicker to deploy. I’m not complaining about the Mavic but being able to unfold and launch very quickly is nice. If I wanted to just take a quick photo of the wife and I with the Mavic she would walk away. Takes too long. Lol.
2018-1-23
Use props
djiuser_gEEDWg4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Cheers for the advice
2018-1-23
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

A lot of Mavic owners making it a point to dismiss this as just a Spark upgrade when this thing straight out beats the Mavic in several categories. I think some are a little upset they didn't get their Mavic 2 and now there is a cheaper smaller drone that is smarter and more affordable.
2018-1-23
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Vice versa too though bud.......vise versa.

Range, battery life, would argue a better controller (there are times i use it without a phone) and the hand gestures thing? no, Mavic Pro probably less prone to interference within cities as well

And lets be honest.....its only a couple of hundred cheaper and for a-lot of us.......a year later. That is to be expected so there is no soreness here bud. You are quite wrong.

We were ALL hyped about this opportunity, but for most older Mavic owners, it fell a bit flat. Perhaps i would feel different if I had just bought my Mavic.......not sure. I would be cheesed if I bought the Spark though. That is where the comparisons are.

Tit for tat, it is essentially 200 cheaper a year later and of course smaller, I should have hoped it would be.
Progress is progress and promises amazing things for Mavic 2

2018-1-23
Use props
Lolo780
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35122792 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The RC has no display, and doesn't appear to have thumbwheel controls.  I wonder if a Spark RC can be hacked to work with the Air?  
2018-1-23
Use props
mtnstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 222621 ft
United States

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-1-23 12:56
A lot of Mavic owners making it a point to dismiss this as just a Spark upgrade when this thing straight out beats the Mavic in several categories. I think some are a little upset they didn't get their Mavic 2 and now there is a cheaper smaller drone that is smarter and more affordable.

LOL, good luck!
2018-1-23
Use props
Dji_Rambo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Amateur
2018-1-23
Use props
Lolo780
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35122792 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Oops, I see at least a left side thumbwheel.
2018-1-23
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Would it not be the time to put this thread back to events?
Soon the whole page 1 of the Phantom forum is about Mavic Air.
2018-1-24
Use props
Johnny Hauan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1480 ft
Norway

The camera spec of AIR do offer slight improvement but most people is still figuring out Mavic Pro and perfecting the images still. Me after 1 year have learned ALOT about the drone and camera, im still perfecting doing photos and video with it. So im not sure the added bitrate will do it justice alone. YouTube and Vimeo is capped at 60 bitrate anyways.

The huge downside for me with AIR is Wi-Fi transmission. Mavic Pro is rock solid stable if you fly it in a neighbourhood, AIR is going to have issues i bet. I really do see Mavic Pro as the "PRO" edition of the Mavic and AIR as a lighter but still a good camera drone for normal consumers. AIR gives you more option as a photographer and videographer but at what costs? That Wi-Fi transmission ..... have to wait and see someone testing it out at longer ranges.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bulldog
First Officer
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Huge disappointment. I will be throwing the 1000$ I wanted to spend on a new drone, on crypto. Enjoy the upgraded spark..........
2018-1-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Some of them are kind of furious indeed because their prior perceived supremacy is challenged from one day to the other. Before they were "pitiful looking down" to us happy Spark pilots, but now there is a sudden jalousy factor... ;-)
2018-1-24
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-24 13:05
Some of them are kind of furious indeed because their prior perceived supremacy is challenged from one day to the other. Before they were "pitiful looking down" to us happy Spark pilots, but now there is a sudden jalousy factor... ;-)

I don't want to bunch all Mavic owners under the same tree, but their does seem to be a recognizable trend going on in the forums right now. I think that some Mavic owners feel by dismissing the Air as a Spark Pro when it is CLEARLY more similar to (and even outclasses in plenty of ways) the Mavic they can convince themselves that it is less threatening to their ego.

Those particular Mavic owners better stay away from all the reviews being posted on the internet right now  comparing the air to the pro. Their eyes and ears might bleed when they see the air outclassing their beloved Mavic.

Honestly, if this thing was named anything else, I bet those same Mavic owners wouldn't be trashing it.
2018-1-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-1-24 13:39
I don't want to bunch all Mavic owners under the same tree, but their does seem to be a recognizable trend going on in the forums right now. I think that some Mavic owners feel by dismissing the Air as a Spark Pro when it is CLEARLY more similar to (and even outclasses in plenty of ways) the Mavic they can convince themselves that it is less threatening to their ego.

Those particular Mavic owners better stay away from all the reviews being posted on the internet right now  comparing the air to the pro. Their eyes and ears might bleed when they see the air outclassing their beloved Mavic.

The Mavic Pro 2 will come anyway not too far in the future I am sure (my prediction is still this spring) and then a new game will be on ;-) I am even quite sure about the features it will have, but I don't like speculations and wishful thinking. We shall know it when it arrives, that is enough. I have nevertheless ordered the Air because it has all what I need or had wished for the time being.
2018-1-24
Use props
Johnny Hauan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1480 ft
Norway

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-1-24 13:39
I don't want to bunch all Mavic owners under the same tree, but their does seem to be a recognizable trend going on in the forums right now. I think that some Mavic owners feel by dismissing the Air as a Spark Pro when it is CLEARLY more similar to (and even outclasses in plenty of ways) the Mavic they can convince themselves that it is less threatening to their ego.

Those particular Mavic owners better stay away from all the reviews being posted on the internet right now  comparing the air to the pro. Their eyes and ears might bleed when they see the air outclassing their beloved Mavic.

It is a marketing nightmare. DJI Air is supposed to be the mid-tier drone between Spark and Mavic Pro but AIR's camera is outclassing the Mavic Pro it seems and have alot of new features including a backwards sensor.

The only negatives are wifi, smaller range and battery but those are really small negatives compared to having superior camera. Its almost double the bitrate the AIR has compared to Mavic Pro + a 120fps mode.
2018-1-25
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I guess many of us were right, a new Mavic .. MAVIC AIR ...
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Johnny Hauan Posted at 2018-1-25 02:34
It is a marketing nightmare. DJI Air is supposed to be the mid-tier drone between Spark and Mavic Pro but AIR's camera is outclassing the Mavic Pro it seems and have alot of new features including a backwards sensor.

The only negatives are wifi, smaller range and battery but those are really small negatives compared to having superior camera. Its almost double the bitrate the AIR has compared to Mavic Pro + a 120fps mode.

My best guess is that they will release a Mavic Pro 2 'soon' because the price of the Mavic Pro seems too high in comparision with the Air.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-24 13:51
The Mavic Pro 2 will come anyway not too far in the future I am sure (my prediction is still this spring) and then a new game will be on ;-) I am even quite sure about the features it will have, but I don't like speculations and wishful thinking. We shall know it when it arrives, that is enough. I have nevertheless ordered the Air because it has all what I need or had wished for the time being.

Exactly my 2 cents
2018-1-25
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Poland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-24 13:51
The Mavic Pro 2 will come anyway not too far in the future I am sure (my prediction is still this spring) and then a new game will be on ;-) I am even quite sure about the features it will have, but I don't like speculations and wishful thinking. We shall know it when it arrives, that is enough. I have nevertheless ordered the Air because it has all what I need or had wished for the time being.

LOL same week as the release and you're talking about the next drone...
2018-1-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-25 15:18

Just trying to comfort those who are whining over Mavic Air which is clearly my choice ;-)
2018-1-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-25 15:18

The DJI Director of North America openly stated in his presentation that the day after the original Mavic was shipped in Q4 2016 they started R&D on the Air... You can bet your bottom dollar that they are working on the next one as I write this...
2018-1-26
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Poland

A CW Posted at 2018-1-26 08:11
The DJI Director of North America openly stated in his presentation that the day after the original Mavic was shipped in Q4 2016 they started R&D on the Air... You can bet your bottom dollar that they are working on the next one as I write this...

Yeah I've heard it but let's enjoy what we have now, shall we?
2018-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-26 10:53
Yeah I've heard it but let's enjoy what we have now, shall we?

No mate - I'm waiting for the Mavic 10 that flies to the moon
2018-1-26
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Poland

A CW Posted at 2018-1-26 11:02
No mate - I'm waiting for the Mavic 10 that flies to the moon

Well I admire your patience then
2018-1-27
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22198 ft
United States

Here’s my adventure
2018-1-27
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think it's a little harsh calling this an upgraded Spark or a downgraded Mavic Pro.  It is what it is; a new model aimed at consumers who were looking at the Mavic but put off by its price.  
The Air camera specs seem marginally better than the Pro's. The flight time is disappointing tho.  The lack of LCD on the remote is surprising, given that model already exists, but in truth I have only once flown my Mavic without phone attached and I doubt I'll fly the Air without a phone attached, so is the LCD actually going to be missed?  
A lot is being said about wi-fi and no occusync.  As long as the range really is up to 2.5 miles, then this should provide rock-solid signal for almost all flights which would be way closer.  If you regularly fly 4 miles out, then stick with a Pro I guess.
But one of the biggest improvements is the gimbal.  The Pro's gimbal was like your crown jewels just dangling and waiting to be kicked.  Gimbal failure / damage was too common.  At least the AIr's gimbal is solidly protected by the body.
I've ordered one to go alongside my Pro, (and admittedly am now selling my spare Pro that I bought on my last trip in the USA) so I'll have fun doing direct comparisons.  And according to my shipping info, it's already shipped and en route to me....

Cheers
Ian

http://www.youtube.com/ianinlondon

2018-1-28
Use props
fans663583ad
lvl.3

Canada

I kicked my year-old Mavic Pro to the curb. I had awful luck trying to keep my footage from being overexposed. I wanted to see a massive camera improvement and they convinced me that 100Mbps video bitrate would get the job done better. Not to mention, a smaller form factor that plays HUGE on my list of wants.

I love to travel and having more space is a darn good thing. I will keep my Phantom 3 Advanced because it consistently takes fantastic footage without any effort (no ND filters needed, no shutter speed adjustments ,ISO  and exposure worries...EVER). So here's to hoping the new Mavic Air will replace my Mavic Pro (with respect to video quality and size).

Don't get me wrong, I would certainly welcome a collapsible gear Phantom with removable gimble/camera for travel purposes. Otherwise, still biding my time till "the one" arrives, while hoping the Mavic Air fills the void.

Cheers,

Brian
2018-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules