Adventure Unfolds| New York | January 23th 2018 |10 AM EST
37504 425 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

I don't get it. DJI keeps on releasing new products when they still can't deliver products released over a year ago ?? Waiting for ages on my Crystal sky ultra ?!
2018-1-21
Use props
djiuser_Q8c0pvY
lvl.4
Italy

I hope for a action drone to use while skiing, downhill with the bike or paragliding
2018-1-21
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Less than 48 hours left and still no leaks... how is that possible? ;)
2018-1-21
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-21 07:28
Less than 48 hours left and still no leaks... how is that possible? ;)

Unbelievable...if this was a new iPhone we would have seen leaks weeks ago.
2018-1-21
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlyGuy Posted at 2018-1-21 03:38
I don't get it. DJI keeps on releasing new products when they still can't deliver products released over a year ago ?? Waiting for ages on my Crystal sky ultra ?!

"Waiting for ages on my Crystal sky ultra ?!"

Wow, here in the US I had no problem getting my CS in 2 days
2018-1-21
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Say in interesting theory that was called the Mavic Air....

Could it be that DJI is hinting at a new dual camera gimbal that offers the ability to zoom for the Mavic Air similar to the iPhone with an integrated wide-angle lens and a telephoto lens on the aircraft?  if you could combine the best features of this Inspire 2 and Zenmuse X7 combination, into one small, foldable and portable drone package with a dual camera (wide-angle and telephoto lens) gimbal that allows you to zoom and offers you better photo and video quality. Wouldn’t you then have the ultimate adventure traveler’s drone?  

Again just a theory...

Sidd
2018-1-21
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

damoUK Posted at 2018-1-21 02:53
For peeping through windows? I can already envisage that would very quickly change the already OTT drone regulations if that capability was readily available on consumer drones... No flying within 200m of property for privacy rights.

It would be a great feature for legitimate use, but Could have all sorts of consequences!

It is available on DJI Inspire 2, I think the feature would be great for those who want to use it for film and such, the zoom isn't even too great though, it would have to be like 500x optical if someone tries to peep through windows without them even hearing the drone, maybe further.
2018-1-21
Use props
elhungarian2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A concept image and some detailed analysis of current leaks of the Mavic Air can be found here: http://www.quadcopterguide.com/dji-mavic-air-rumors/
2018-1-21
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

It is an interceptor/recovery drone designed to shoot down rouge drones operated dangerously by irresponsible pilots then shoot tiny missiles at the offending operator that sting really bad and also intercept, capture and recover "fly away" drones with compass errors.  You can also jump start your car with it if you have a dead battery and slow roast a whole Cornish game hen inside it in as little as 3.5 minutes.  Can't wait!!
2018-1-21
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

it's my opinion ...
looking at the thruster / propellers...in some (false or true) preview pictures...
I believe it could be a submarine drone ...
this would be a new challenge for DJI...
where they can became world leader same like in the air drone business

2018-1-21
Use props
fans3f9991cd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 772989 ft
Norway

Think it's a new Phantom.
This really looks like a landing gear with a obstacle sensor.
Screenshot_20180121-213305.png
2018-1-21
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Middleman Posted at 2018-1-20 20:40
My vote would be for a submarine drone. Here in SoCal that would be awesome but wireless in saltwater?? How's that going to work out?

Folding, 4k, racing drone with 5 mile range and 30 minutes per battery. I can dream can't I?

Once again - ROV's (Remotely Operated Vehicles) cannot work wirelessly in water, otherwise it would have been wireless years ago.  The tech doesn't exist yet to transfer sonar, camera images and control telemetery through water.
You can program AUVs (Autonomous Underwater Vehicles) to fly a pre-planned route - but you can't control them - while they are 'live' in the water.

For ROV's, we still need a tether for supplying power and telemetry.
2018-1-21
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

We need something between Phantom and Inspire, price wise...
2018-1-21
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-1-21 12:52
Once again - ROV's (Remotely Operated Vehicles) cannot work wirelessly in water, otherwise it would have been wireless years ago.  The tech doesn't exist yet to transfer sonar, camera images and control telemetery through water.
You can program AUVs (Autonomous Underwater Vehicles) to fly a pre-planned route - but you can't control them - while they are 'live' in the water.

honestly the underwater video and telemetry signal is already used ...
ROV needs a lot of power ... eletrically it moves very powerful engines/propellers ...
move heavy objects with hydraulic arms ... and more ...
remote operator vehicle ... ROV also works very deep ...
t is a very heavy machine designed to work ... the cable, umbilical, tether ... it is also used as a security to recover it ... in short ... it is really another thing ...

the underwater drone already exists ...obviously DJI could do much better ...
but most likely ... it's just a my dream
  ....     and others
2018-1-21
Use props
Zepis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344984 ft
Portugal

So... something small and powerful is coming. It sounds like dji is talking about SPARK... So tiny and powerful (who cares for 4k?... buy a MAVIC. I did it). But coming from DJI I trust will be something amazing!!! For sure!
2018-1-21
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlexVideoShark  Posted at 2018-1-21 14:26
honestly the underwater video and telemetry signal is already used ...
ROV needs a lot of power ... eletrically it moves very powerful engines/propellers ...
move heavy objects with hydraulic arms ... and more ...

I know what an ROV can and can't do - I've been working with them for over 10 years now.  Eyeball and Workclass types, with plenty of flying time.

Your power-dolphin video is a surface unit only - so therefore it's telemetry can be transmitted via its back - into air - not water.

If you can show me where the tech is that can let you control an ROV at depth (up to 4000m these days) from the surface wirelessly - I'll take my hat to you.  But we know of no ROV that is in service today with that capability, in our industry.  There was a set up in Guam back in 2012, with acoustics and fibre optics - but its not really viable yet for oil and gas ROV systems yet.

For workclass ROV's you need roughly 3000 volts ac.  The workclass I work with has 2850VAC for a 3 phase motor, that in turns runs hydraulic pump for the Sub-Atlantic 300 series thrusters, and then the tooling circuits - Schilling Titan 4 manipulator arm and Rig-master Arm.  2850VAC single phase is also sent down the main lift and soft tether via the TMS (tether management system), and then massively stepped down and rectified for powering the laser gyro, cameras, sonar, depth sensors, altitude sensors, MBES, Doppler etc - usually at 24VDC.

Oh - you also dont lift a ROV out of the water with the tether.  The max load for our tether is 2ton.  The mainlift can lift 20 tons though.
2018-1-21
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-1-21 12:52

I would think you could control it with sound but like our air is polluted by radio waves it might would have some downsides?
2018-1-21
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-21 15:29
I would think you could control it with sound but like our air is polluted by radio waves it might would have some downsides?

You can control it with sound alright.  The problem is the bandwidth.

Our ROV uses Gigabit Fibre Optics.  Acoustics are good for maybe 10Mbs.

If you are trying to transmit 4K signal through water - then you'll need a better system.

WHOI did a test that worked well - using FIbre Optics and Acoustics - but dangling a line over the side so the ROV can transmit data isn't exactly procedurally correct.  How do you insure something that with no control will be subject to subsea tides and currents?

DJI are a good company for innovations - if they have discovered how to transmit 4K through water at depth - it would be a game changer, no doubt.  But I seriously doubt it's a DJI ROV that is going to be released on Tuesday.
2018-1-21
Use props
David J.
First Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-1-21 16:02

Agreed. There is no way a ROV is what we are going to see on Tuesday. But, DJI has controlled the leaks, so there isn’t anything for us to go off of besides what they have shown us. I think it will be a Mavic Air—a new, smaller Mavic with a better camera, maybe zoom, possibly waterproof, probably more sensors. But, we can only wait and see.
2018-1-21
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-1-21 16:02

You're right, my suggestion was solely regarding the control part.

"But I seriously doubt it's a DJI ROV that is going to be released on Tuesday"

I believe you're right again, cite:
"DJI provides flying and camera stabilization systems and related platforms and products, including commercial and recreational unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for aerial photography and videography."

For the fun and small hobby use, i think what i linked to in #131 could do, however still with cable.
2018-1-21
Use props
Henry-M
lvl.2

Australia

interesting ideas few more hours for the big news
2018-1-21
Use props
Crescendo34
New

Canada

Hope the new drone weighs less than 250g so we can fly it in Canada without huge restrictions. (And 4K! Lol)
2018-1-21
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-1-21 15:08
I know what an ROV can and can't do - I've been working with them for over 10 years now.  Eyeball and Workclass types, with plenty of flying time.

Your power-dolphin video is a surface unit only - so therefore it's telemetry can be transmitted via its back - into air - not water.

OK thanks for all these technical explanations ...
I work in the oil industry for 20 years too...
maybe we worked together ???
but if you read ... I said the same thing in a different simpler way ...
what I mean ... as you already know ... is ... our world (offshore) has many safety rules ...
but ... the Drones field .. I wish... could bring some news ...
have a good day my friend ;-)
2018-1-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-16 06:26
Will Casey Neistat attend the event? Is it open or invitation only event?

That guy is quite possibly one of the most annoying YouTube guys ever, and there are a lot of them. Wonder how much the mod's actually know and  how it is to keep a lid on what they know......
2018-1-22
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not enough curves or sleek enough. Can't wait for the reveal though. The main factors will be price, capability/spec and is it better than or bridge the gap of......The forum will crash at 10 AM EST.
2018-1-22
Use props
djiuser_5hqLuoI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123058 ft
United States

New DJI Mavic AIR
32 MPH
Screenshot_20180122-071653.jpg
Screenshot_20180122-072554.jpg
Screenshot_20180122-072604.jpg
2018-1-22
Use props
djiuser_5hqLuoI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123058 ft
United States

Dji Mavic Air
Screenshot_20180122-071653.jpg
2018-1-22
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

Maybe a foldable phantom? :-)
Or a submarine-drone? :-)
2018-1-22
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Well let the leaks begin!
2018-1-22
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whatever it is, I am excited to watch the live unveiling!
2018-1-22
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Will have to see the official reveal tomorrow however a little disappointed that it's not the Mavic 2, I was really hoping for an upgrade to the Mavic with a better camera etc which this will not have
2018-1-22
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

JaseUK Posted at 2018-1-22 04:51
Will have to see the official reveal tomorrow however a little disappointed that it's not the Mavic 2, I was really hoping for an upgrade to the Mavic with a better camera etc which this will not have

Well it's not said that there won't be two drones, so do not despair yet
2018-1-22
Use props
Lio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 660955 ft
Switzerland

In their store, if you search for any obviously non-existent drone, such as https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-asdf or https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-whatever it takes around 4 seconds until you are being redirected to a 404 page. If you search for https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air though, it takes only 500ms. Looks like Mavic Air is a sure thing.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans7d1a89c2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478796 ft
United States

Possibly my first drone. So glad I held off on spark ok same day and invites goes out
2018-1-22
Use props
Ribeiro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2950994 ft
Brazil

More like a Spark evolution with the upscale Mavic branding. Still waiting for P5 and Mavic Pro 2
2018-1-22
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Less than an hour till the event and physical location is still unknown.... very mysterious.
2018-1-22
Use props
Macdugel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 630577 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2018-1-17 07:50
Does that mean DJI GO 4 has to have a network connection at all time?

Scary thought!
2018-1-22
Use props
fans7d1a89c2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478796 ft
United States

Here you go. Possibly my first drone. Glad the invite came out in same day when I had spark in cart
7743B0B4-A1E6-4E00-AE17-DA96BD6DF38A.jpeg
1169E064-23D5-4138-BF57-E76E731C7CBE.jpeg
2018-1-22
Use props
Lio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 660955 ft
Switzerland

fans7d1a89c2 Posted at 2018-1-22 06:12
Here you go. Possibly my first drone. Glad the invite came out in same day when I had spark in cart

Does not match the propeller from the teaser though:

2018-1-22
Use props
Snipes_Blaster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 510217 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-1-22 06:09
Less than an hour till the event and physical location is still unknown.... very mysterious.

thought the event was tomorrow ?
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules