OSMO + Zenmuse X5 Issues
3722 13 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeterKaskons
lvl.2
United States

So I recently purchased the OSMO Pro Bundle (Zenmuse X5) and have been getting a list of issues for this unit. I had it returned and got a whole new unit (thinking the other one was defective) and still the same issues come up with everything NEW lol I've been reading through many forums to try to find solutions to my unit's issues and haven't found a forum that is consist to the problems of a X5 + OSMO and NOT about an Inspire 1 or OSMO Plus / Zenmuse X3. I'm going to list stuff out and maybe there are solutions out there I'm not aware about that someone else can share.

1. Fan Noise. I covered this in another forum, but essentially the fan noise is ridiculous that it's not usable on it's own. Read this forum with my reply (#20)
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=54195

2. Drifting. So when the camera is idle in it's base stand, I noticed that it will begin drifting, even after calibrating it. Occasionally when I'm moving around it will drift slightly. However, the main concern about it drifting is when it’s in the stand. There have been times when I want to place it in it's stand and just film from a fixed position but I can't due to the camera slowly drifting off, resulting in me having to stand by it and adjust it. The stand has a little bit of play in it so the unit doesn't stay straight up (w/ or without all it’s attachments), but there should be a feature to lock the camera in place and reduce it to little movement or none at all.

3. Wired Video. I use a CrystalSky as my control pad for the camera and I connect to it via wifi. However, I've wanted to use the wired video adapter to achieve faster and smoother connection to the camera, but it doesn't work. I've tried connecting to it with the mounting bracket to USB and a USB to micro USB straight to the CrystalSky, which neither work. I tried using an iPhone (6&7) w/ lightning cable and that doesn't work due to iOS compatibility issues. So I bought a cable that can't be used with my devices.  

4. Sleep Mode. One feature I found out about the OSMO is sleep mode. It's great when you want to pause for a break or to reset the scene without having to shut the unit down and reconnect. However, the camera will randomly come out of sleep mode on it's own, which can be frustrating when you're busy and can't get to it while it drains the battery. This will happen on both the iPhone (6&7) the CrystalSky.

5. Firmware. When I go to check the firmware it's either listed as "Unknown" on the iPhone (6&7) and "N/A" on the CrystalSky. I was able to update the firmware, but it still lists "Unknown" or "N/A".

IMG_2176_1.jpg IMG_2177_1.jpg

iPhone 1

iPhone 1

iPhone 2

iPhone 2

For a $2000+ product that has been on the market for a few years now, it's disappointing to see these issues still present and the latest firmware update dating back to August 25th, 2016. When I first started looking through other forums and the issues pertaining to them (as well as Youtube videos), I found it confusing distinguishing the "OSMO Pro" from OSMO Plus / Zenmuse X3 to the Zenmuse X5 + Inspire 1. Finally figuring it out (I hope lol), I figured it would be beneficial to everyone who owns this unit that I create a new forum that is hopefully clear and to list all the issues together.

So my question(s) to everyone and DJI members, are there any solutions to these issues? Are they currently being worked on? Is anyone else experiencing these same issues? How come there hasn't been a firmware update in over a year? Is there a webpage that can give us live updates on what is being worked on for the OSMO Pro Bundle / X5 system? Is this bundle done being worked on and is there a new version in the works to replace this one?

Any help / solutions to these issues would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter
2018-1-16
Use props
terrytan
lvl.1
Singapore

Very much agreed with what Peter had said. It’s WAYYY too long for DJI to release a firmware update for OSMO Pro. It kinda gives us an impression that DJI is discontinuing this product.
2018-1-17
Use props
terrytan
lvl.1
Singapore

Why does it look blurry on our crystalsky/phone when Osmo Pro is recording in 4K? How do they expect us to focus correctly? Sometimes focus peaking is not reliable.
2018-1-17
Use props
terrytan
lvl.1
Singapore

& DJI, please stop telling us your engineers are working on these issues, etc. Your excuses are running out.
2018-1-17
Use props
Lepi
lvl.4
Russia

terrytan Posted at 2018-1-17 08:50
& DJI, please stop telling us your engineers are working on these issues, etc. Your excuses are running out.

I fully agree with the comrade. I already ate their promises. I do not believe that the manufacturer is dealing with the users of their products. Marketing and profit are their main task. In this business they succeed.
2018-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Peter, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with our product. Please provide me more info about the issues you are experiencing.
1. Fan Noise
Sorry that the fans cannot be turned off for Osmo Pro, since the device needs to cool itself to make the camera working in good condition, we recommend to use the external mic for better audio quality.
2. Drifting
Any chance to post a video here for analysis?
3. Wired Video
DJI GO for Android version v3.1.5, Android system v4.4.0 or later and Osmo Pro/RAW firmware v1.4.0.70 are required. Osmo Pro/RAW Wired Video Adapter cannot be used with iOS devices due to iOS system limitations.
4. Sleep Mode
Usually it will not wake unless you press the APP--Awake or press the power button. If the issue persists, a short video would be appreciated, I will transfer it to our engineers for analysis.
5. Firmware version
Please reinstall the APP or reset CrystalSky into factory default, the issue should be solved.
We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused, please keep me updated when you are available.
2018-1-21
Use props
noflyzone69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240361 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same issues and have bitched till im blue in the face   Guys lets face it  DJI just want our money and when we start bitching they just make another product an basically say FUk the ones who have investments in dji cameras and drones   its sad !
2018-1-25
Use props
PeterKaskons
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-21 23:30
Hello Peter, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with our product. Please provide me more info about the issues you are experiencing.
1. Fan Noise
Sorry that the fans cannot be turned off for Osmo Pro, since the device needs to cool itself to make the camera working in good condition, we recommend to use the external mic for better audio quality.

1. Fan Noise
That's disappointing there is no resolution to that as it defeats the purpose of being able to use the OSMO on its own for a video shoot requiring video and sound.

2. Drifting:Currently unable to get a video of it drifting.

3. Wired Video
So the wired video adapter cannot be used with the CrystalSky?

4. Sleep Mode
I realize that, but this happens constantly and with no consistency on timing of when it will come out of sleep mode. In the video I'm sharing, it lasted for 3 mins. It's gone longer than 3 mins some other times.

5. Firmware version:
I've done all of that already and no results with the first one or the current one.

2018-1-29
Use props
PeterKaskons
lvl.2
United States

PeterKaskons Posted at 2018-1-29 06:22
1. Fan Noise
That's disappointing there is no resolution to that as it defeats the purpose of being able to use the OSMO on its own for a video shoot requiring video and sound.

Still have not received a reply from their support on these issues yet and it's been 2 months since my previous reply :-/
2018-3-21
Use props
danirvine 1
lvl.2
Australia

i have been asked by producers to stop filming due to the noise getting  picked up on mics ....
its embarrassing setting up the osmopro then finding out it no longer sees the phone ......
im a iPhone user but got a android out for this to work it did for about 2 weeks now it won't work at all and YES the app and the OSMOPRO have the latest software firmware .
i wish i never got this camera
WARNING to those who are thinking about getting an OSMOPRO consider getting a ZHIYUN CRANE 2 and a dslr with AF focus
as the focus on the OSMOPRO is very hit and miss
2018-3-21
Use props
Rambo77
New

danirvine 1 Posted at 2018-3-21 19:52
i have been asked by producers to stop filming due to the noise getting  picked up on mics ....
its embarrassing setting up the osmopro then finding out it no longer sees the phone ......
im a iPhone user but got a android out for this to work it did for about 2 weeks now it won't work at all and YES the app and the OSMOPRO have the latest software firmware .

I am sort of glad and at the same time sad to hear this news. I am so close to getting the DJI Raw X5R gimbal, but that is just not going to happen now. I don't know if I am crazy though because the raw is some cases are almost worth the fan issue. I really wish there was some workaround like DJI did with the battery and z-axis attachment. I really do not think they want to abandon this, but the expense of the raw combo would be tremendous.

So I am not entirely sure if I won't go with the X5R, but what would you recommend for a 4k camera and a gimbal combination? I want to stay clear of sony. I have a GH5 and would like a second camera to match with it.
2018-3-23
Use props
fans5b385322
lvl.2
Italy

Rambo77 Posted at 2018-3-23 08:34
I am sort of glad and at the same time sad to hear this news. I am so close to getting the DJI Raw X5R gimbal, but that is just not going to happen now. I don't know if I am crazy though because the raw is some cases are almost worth the fan issue. I really wish there was some workaround like DJI did with the battery and z-axis attachment. I really do not think they want to abandon this, but the expense of the raw combo would be tremendous.

So I am not entirely sure if I won't go with the X5R, but what would you recommend for a 4k camera and a gimbal combination? I want to stay clear of sony. I have a GH5 and would like a second camera to match with it.

I wouldn't do that. See issues with Osmo + X5R here. The custom service won't bother addressing these issues. I have asked them to simply look at the manufacturing and quality control records, but they wouldn't bother doing that. The question on whether all or some of the Osmo + X5R are badly designed, still remains.

2018-3-31
Use props
PeterKaskons
lvl.2
United States

fans5b385322 Posted at 2018-3-31 07:12
I wouldn't do that. See issues with Osmo + X5R here. The custom service won't bother addressing these issues. I have asked them to simply look at the manufacturing and quality control records, but they wouldn't bother doing that. The question on whether all or some of the Osmo + X5R are badly designed, still remains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8gNaYjUAys&t=0s

Yeah, it seems they don't care about it anymore and continue to ignore the problems as they work on their new stuff. I've reached out to staff multiple times and still no responses.
2019-1-8
Use props
djiuser_AtI9Fi4XNQwI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 588550 ft
Poland

2.Drifting

https://youtu.be/TsmkHaKErqw
I have exactly the same problem
2019-3-6
Use props
Advanced