Portable landing pads?
1603 34 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience or recommendations regarding portable landing pads for the Mavic Pro? Something that can be used to flatten long grass and provide an instant take-off / landing zone .... and anything self-illuminated would be even cooler .... thoughts?
2018-1-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

2018-1-16
Use props
salmonshark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 206352 ft
United States

For a few bucks more, you can get the same pad, but 43 inches in size instead of 30...  I just got one and it gives a nice landing surface and a big enough area, it's easy to land on.

Just my 2 cents worth.

2018-1-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Our online store has the landing pad, if you are interested in it, you can visit here.
2018-1-16
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

yea i got the big one from the DJI store. works perfect for my Inspire, and even better for the Mavic
2018-1-16
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I have the pad and use it every so often.  Usually, I can find solid ground with no loose dirt or gravel.  One of the videographers that I follow says he simply uses a clip board for a take off pad and hand catches when done.  Inexpensive, and I'm sure it works just as well as a special pad as long as you hand catch (which I do often without any problem).
2018-1-16
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a welcome mat from Walmart. It's heavy enough it won't blow away without needing to stake it down plus 'Welcome' gives precision landing something distinct to target.
2018-1-16
Use props
gezzer300
Second Officer
Flight distance : 697851 ft
United States

I also have the bigger one.. I like it. The Mavic is useally lands  2-3" from takeoff.
2018-1-16
Use props
Papa Ski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90272 ft
United States

I found a thick hard green rubber mat in my wife’s crafting area.  She uses it for cutting and laying out lettering.  So far she hasn’t noticed it is missing, but it works great and can roll up like a tube for carrying.  
2018-1-16
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Papa Ski Posted at 2018-1-16 20:28
I found a thick hard green rubber mat in my wife’s crafting area.  She uses it for cutting and laying out lettering.  So far she hasn’t noticed it is missing, but it works great and can roll up like a tube for carrying.

I like your style!
2018-1-16
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-16 18:06
Our online store has the landing pad, if you are interested in it, you can visit here.

At last - something to spend my DJI credit points on! Do the reflective stickers remain stuck after folding / unfolding? Anyone pimped one of these with perimeter LEDs?
2018-1-16
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks Woe, looks interesting.
2018-1-16
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-16 18:53
I have the pad and use it every so often.  Usually, I can find solid ground with no loose dirt or gravel.  One of the videographers that I follow says he simply uses a clip board for a take off pad and hand catches when done.  Inexpensive, and I'm sure it works just as well as a special pad as long as you hand catch (which I do often without any problem).

The problem for me is a lot of my favourite take off spots are grassy, and there's not much ground clearance with the Mavic .... could try the hand catching thing I suppose, however I keep recalling the Enrique Iglesias concert incident ... Ouch!
2018-1-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought the 55CM landing pad by PGYTech via the DJI on line store - £11 and folds up very small so no issue with portability and does the job. They also do two larger versions but the 55CM is big enough and doesn’t take up massive space in the bag or needs to be carried separately. Also has 3 spikes to keep in place on windy days and is ideal when taking off from beaches and snow. It works perfectly with the precision landing feature in the drone too. Pads are much better than landing gear extensions which can affect flight performance and even scratch the drone.
2018-1-16
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

yes i have one, and rth land on Spot ( 55CM landing pad by PGYTech)

2018-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Works perfectly for me to - nice video!
2018-1-17
Use props
Gregbella
Second Officer
Australia

If I get stuck and need a landing pad I just use one of the floor mats from the car
2018-1-17
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Jos A Posted at 2018-1-17 01:04
yes i have one, and rth land on Spot ( 55CM landing pad by PGYTech)

https://youtu.be/OjkixMuuS8g

Nice video - what is the structure? Also, did you try using the Follow Me / Track mode to chase the Spark? Landing pad looks great, although it should really have a large "D" (drone) as opposed to an "H" (helicopter) .... or maybe DJI should seize this opportunity to do their own with a large "M" for Mavic.... (or just "DJI") ...
2018-1-17
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Gregbella Posted at 2018-1-17 01:28
If I get stuck and need a landing pad I just use one of the floor mats from the car

Another great idea!
2018-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I get stuck and need a landing pad I just use one of the floor mats from the car

That is another option but a bit much to carry when going on a hike to your flight location.
2018-1-17
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same here, i have a rear purple trimmed floor mat from the back of the car. Works perfectly Best part is that it was free... came with the car! lol
2018-1-17
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-16 23:51
I bought the 55CM landing pad by PGYTech via the DJI on line store - £11 and folds up very small so no issue with portability and does the job. They also do two larger versions but the 55CM is big enough and doesn’t take up massive space in the bag or needs to be carried separately. Also has 3 spikes to keep in place on windy days and is ideal when taking off from beaches and snow. It works perfectly with the precision landing feature in the drone too. Pads are much better than landing gear extensions which can affect flight performance and even scratch the drone.

Just wondering how the extended legs scratch the drone and affect flight performance?

For me once the legs are on they don't need to be taken off as they pack away into the Flymore combo bag still attached to the Mavic and they drone folds up as it does without the legs. Are you thinking the legs scratch the drone if you take them off? .... If so, perhaps but I've never taken mine off.

Would agree the landing pad seems like a good idea though.
2018-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The PGYTech ones don’t scratch as I have used them before but have seen other makes on YT cause scratches to the drone - most will take them off if they use a case. Flying in stronger winds has a detrimental impact upon flight stability which is kind of obvious when you add an inch of plastic hanging off the landing gear beneath the drone. Other makes are also known to interfere with the VPS. A simple mat prevents all of that + stops debris, chippings and sand deposits flying up into the underneath of the drone and gimbal on take off and landing. The mat also enhances landing protection.  
2018-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And that’s probably why DJI have taken them off their product list from their online store but kept the mats and other PGYTech products up for sale.
2018-1-17
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Beeworld Posted at 2018-1-17 02:27
Nice video - what is the structure? Also, did you try using the Follow Me / Track mode to chase the Spark? Landing pad looks great, although it should really have a large "D" (drone) as opposed to an "H" (helicopter) .... or maybe DJI should seize this opportunity to do their own with a large "M" for Mavic.... (or just "DJI") ...

The large structure is called snow world, it's a large indoor ski slope
No I didn't try to track the spark, maybe in the future, in the video it was manually
2018-1-17
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-16 18:06
Our online store has the landing pad, if you are interested in it, you can visit here.

Thanks DJI Thor - I followed your link, added the landing pad to my shopping cart only to discover that it doesn't ship to Australia. DJI customer service confirmed this was indeed the case, much to my disappointment and surprise in this day and age of global e-commerce. Amazon came to my rescue, so all good!

Great pad too.
2018-2-4
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes, use a portable landing pad all the time, enables a platform for launch and recovery and allows people to understand it's an area to keep away from. I generally have mine coned off with 18" portable traffic cones. And if they get too close the wife's growl and snarling teeth tends to make them back off to a safe spot.
2018-2-4
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes, we use a portable landing pad all the time, enables a platform for launch and recovery and allows people to understand it's an area to keep away from. I generally have mine coned off with 18" portable traffic cones. And if they get too close the wife's growl and snarling teeth tends to make them back off to a safe spot. We also wear reflective vests and have a sign indicating "danger stand back" Generally people in close proximity keep away from the aircraft, most are just curious and want to ask questions.
2018-2-4
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

M2Wair Posted at 2018-2-4 02:53
Yes, we use a portable landing pad all the time, enables a platform for launch and recovery and allows people to understand it's an area to keep away from. I generally have mine coned off with 18" portable traffic cones. And if they get too close the wife's growl and snarling teeth tends to make them back off to a safe spot. We also wear reflective vests and have a sign indicating "danger stand back" Generally people in close proximity keep away from the aircraft, most are just curious and want to ask questions.

Wow M2Wair - hardcore! Are you just flying Mavics, or larger rigs for commercial work? it sounds as though you are taking the safety (and humour!) aspects very seriously, which is great.
2018-2-7
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

This is what I use when out walking and it doubles as a sit or kneeling pad. I take off using it then hand catch. Not really what you're looking for but might help someone else out.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.co ... it-mat-p12405.aspx/
022748_kha_folding_sit_mat_hard_aw17_4.jpg
2018-2-7
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Beeworld Posted at 2018-2-7 03:17
Wow M2Wair - hardcore! Are you just flying Mavics, or larger rigs for commercial work? it sounds as though you are taking the safety (and humour!) aspects very seriously, which is great.

We're flying Inspire 1 & 2, Phantom 3se, Phantom 4pro (arrived today) and the little Mavic Air (for our travels and fun) My wife and I are wedding and portrait photographers by trade, the drones came about after watching a youtube video using drones for that extra little something. What can I say, we both got hooked on drones and haven't looked back in regret. It is our drug of choice, addicted and enjoying each day as it comes lol.

We have to take it seriously or at least take every conceivable step to ensure safety for ALL those around us. Sadly we live in a compensation mad culture and if you give them an inch they will surely try and take a mile.  So Our set up just for taking flight and recovery is like something out of a space launch, everything from barriers set up,area coned off and taped with signs warning of danger, fire extinguishers, florescent high visibility vests  etc.  

I am sure we are all aware when it comes to safety and the general public you can't take account for blatant stupidity, and you do meet them more often than not, you know the fella "Uncle Alfred" the village idiot.  Plan for him and the remainder are taken care of, if that make sense. The very nature of flying drones brings with it a curiosity, people are inquisitive, so we plan for the worst case scenario and so far our measures have proven effective.   
2018-2-7
Use props
Topshelf Crow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

One recommendation I have from experience, if you use the stakes to hold down the pad (and recommend using them cause the pad will blow around), be sure prior to take off you check the blades in relation to the stakes.  If you don't have the stakes in the ground far enough, on landing, the Mavic blades could hit a stake.  Not an issue with the P3S because it's taller, but now on my preflight checklist to verify.  Ruined one set of blades on RTH before I could prevent it.
2018-2-7
Use props
cyborg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

Topshelf Crow Posted at 2018-2-7 06:03
One recommendation I have from experience, if you use the stakes to hold down the pad (and recommend using them cause the pad will blow around), be sure prior to take off you check the blades in relation to the stakes.  If you don't have the stakes in the ground far enough, on landing, the Mavic blades could hit a stake.  Not an issue with the P3S because it's taller, but now on my preflight checklist to verify.  Ruined one set of blades on RTH before I could prevent it.

good point.. thanks for that.. !
2018-2-7
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Australia

Topshelf Crow Posted at 2018-2-7 06:03
One recommendation I have from experience, if you use the stakes to hold down the pad (and recommend using them cause the pad will blow around), be sure prior to take off you check the blades in relation to the stakes.  If you don't have the stakes in the ground far enough, on landing, the Mavic blades could hit a stake.  Not an issue with the P3S because it's taller, but now on my preflight checklist to verify.  Ruined one set of blades on RTH before I could prevent it.

Ouch! Good tip.
2018-2-7
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

I have the landing pad posted above, @ $13 on Amazon...i love it, works great but i do look like a maniac when i take it out.
2018-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules