1867 10 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Anyone got any experience with Loc8tor Tags ?

Am thinking of getting myself something in case the worst happens, but the GPS systems seem a touch expnsive whilst the Bluetooth systems have such a short range.
2018-1-18
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting .... never used them myself but see the review on their website is from a drone flyer.
2018-1-18
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-18 09:31
A Bluetooth system for drone recovery is virtually worthless.  100' range is fine for finding the keyring you misplaced in the house but of no use when the drone could be miles away.  A GPS solution is the only feasible option that offers hope for recovery.  It is more expensive but far less than the cost of replacing your drone.  Trackimo is a popular unit.  Hoping PingGPS pans out but it is only in the  early production & certification stage.  Alas nothing with real-time tracking like the now defunct Flytrex seems to exist.

+1...I've got the round Loc8tor tags an they suck.  Beside the fact that the range is deplorable due to Blue tooth.  They come apart/separate too easily and the battery falls out.  I now use Trackimo.  If you would like I can post some pics of how they snap together like a cheap toy.
2018-1-18
Use props
Isoflur
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1014974 ft
Canada

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-18 09:34
+1...I've got the round Loc8tor tags an they suck.  Beside the fact that the range is deplorable due to Blue tooth.  They come apart/separate too easily and the battery falls out.  I now use Trackimo.  If you would like I can post some pics of how they snap together like a cheap toy.

What do you use to attach this to your Mavic?
2018-1-18
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

These types off device all work in the ISM Band @ 2.4GHz, WiFi/Bluetooth, I have a similar device, works @ 25/30M
It's a very loud Beep and flashes blue.

I have another small GPS device, for another purpose, probably would fit at back of Mavic.
It relies on Cellular to pass location data, so only works where there's coverage, accuracy @ 2M .
Power lasts @ 7~8 days... Just send a text to it, replies with a text with a link to Google Map.
2018-1-18
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Isoflur Posted at 2018-1-18 12:05
What do you use to attach this to your Mavic?

Velcro....
2018-1-18
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Mine is fitted with the double-sided stuff it arrived with. After 24 hours it sits very well.

2018-1-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

you guys really taking a chance with sim based gps trackers on your mavic. the mavic has 2 compass, 1 at the top front and 1 at the rear behind battery. i placed a gps tracker on mine both back and front while studing the compass and noticed a considerble increase in interference from the front and back compass while doing this. if a tracker is a must the best placed location is either on a arm or the side so far as i found that this does not interfere with the compass. try it by placing it above or rear and watch the compass move from green to red in the settings of the GO4 App. i would not take that chance
2018-1-19
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Suren Posted at 2018-1-19 08:45
you guys really taking a chance with sim based gps trackers on your mavic. the mavic has 2 compass, 1 at the top front and 1 at the rear behind battery. i placed a gps tracker on mine both back and front while studing the compass and noticed a considerble increase in interference from the front and back compass while doing this. if a tracker is a must the best placed location is either on a arm or the side so far as i found that this does not interfere with the compass. try it by placing it above or rear and watch the compass move from green to red in the settings of the GO4 App. i would not take that chance

The location of the tracker on the image has been chosen carefully. Like you, I also tested the options, and I found that the location on the picture works perfectly without any interference. If the tracker is moved up so it covers the DJI logo, it will affect my Mavic. But like now - no problems at all.
2018-1-19
Use props
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-1-19 08:45
you guys really taking a chance with sim based gps trackers on your mavic. the mavic has 2 compass, 1 at the top front and 1 at the rear behind battery. i placed a gps tracker on mine both back and front while studing the compass and noticed a considerble increase in interference from the front and back compass while doing this. if a tracker is a must the best placed location is either on a arm or the side so far as i found that this does not interfere with the compass. try it by placing it above or rear and watch the compass move from green to red in the settings of the GO4 App. i would not take that chance

Interesting, when I started looking into this I did read about the compass at the rear and the chances of interference being high. I was thinking of putting (whatever I get) onto the top of my battery towards the rear using velcro sticky pads. Any idea if this would cause issues ?

Also, would sticking on a tracker using velcro pads void my DJI Care Refresh ? I suppose the only thing you would see is a small round velcro pad on the battery. So cant see this as being a problem.
2018-1-19
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Hi any updates on you Loc8tor lite ? did you buy it? Can you post your experience and feedback on this device. I am planning to buy one for my MA.
2018-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules