Boeing's Experimental Cargo Drone Is a Heavy Lifter
918 14 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Boeing is building a drone, a very large drone... ;-)

image.jpeg

MOST LIKELY, YOUR expectations for the age of drone delivery involve cute li'l quadcopters that descend onto your porch with a gentle bzzzz, deposit a box of diapers or a pizza or whatever else you just ordered online, before zooming back to base, ready to deliver the next whim. That’s the vision pitched by the likes of Amazon, UPS, and DHL, and it’s an appealing one.
Boeing has a different idea for delivery drones, one that's bigger by an order of magnitude. Last week, the aerospace giant revealed a prototype for an electric, unmanned cargo air vehicle that it says could haul as much as 500 pounds—that's 400 large Domino’s pizzas or 11,291 newborn-sized diapers—as far as 20 miles. But this big buzzer isn’t going to your house.
In fact, Boeing isn’t quite sure where it’s going. “It’s a concurrent exploration of a nascent market and nascent technology,” says Pete Kunz, the chief technologist for HorizonX, the Boeing skunk works-venture capital arm hybrid division that built this thing (the marketing team hasn’t given it a catchy moniker yet).
A team of 50 engineers spent three months building what looks like a car-sized Erector Set, fitted with eight spinning blades (each six feet from tip to tip), and weighing in at an auspicious 747 pounds. It navigates and looks for obstacles using components and software provided by Near Earth Autonomy, a Pittsburgh-based company in which HorizonX invests.
Now that the drone has completed its initial round of testing, done indoors at Boeing’s autonomous systems lab in Missouri, the team can start building up its skills. This first prototype can fly for about 15 minutes and carry 150 pounds, but Kunz and his team are confident they’ll reach that 250-500 pound capability before long. They predict it will fly between 60 and 70 mph and as high as a few hundred feet, plenty fast and high to do short hop deliveries.

Exactly what it will carry and where it will take it remains an open question. Boeing doesn’t have any concrete plans or timelines for commercialization yet, but Logan Jones, HorizonX’s senior director, says it could tote supplies to offshore oil rigs, or any other “dull, dirty, and dangerous” work now done by helicopters, which require expensive human pilots. It could take pallets from a port to a distribution center, or from a distribution center to a store. “This won’t show up at your door,” Jones says. (This is a commercial project, but it’s easy to see potential military applications, like moving supplies around combat areas.)

This kind of vehicle may not fit into your drone delivery fantasy, but it has practicality on its side. “This starts to sound like the kind of thing that can do things in real life,” says Drew McElroy, CEO of Transfix, a trucking brokerage firm. As home deliveries have grown in popularity over the past 15 years or so, he says, shipments have gotten smaller, and more targeted. The old model—trucks haul supplies to Walmart, people drive to Walmart and bring home their shopping—is evaporating. Any vehicle that can fill in the gaps between the huge bulk shipments that move by sea and the shoebox-sized packages that come to our doors can play a role.

Plus, a drone made to reach places like oil rigs or islands connected to the mainland only by ferries, might be easier to get into service, says Anne Goodchild, who runs the University of Washington’s Supply Chain Transportation and Logistics Center. “This scale of delivery is probably closer in terms of practicality than smaller drones.” Myriad regulatory and political issues stand between swarms of little drones and urban America, whether they launch from distribution hubs or rolling trucks. Flying around more rural and controlled environments (where you can have things like designated landing pads) should be easier. And few companies know as much about building and certifying aircraft as Boeing.
So maybe you’ll still have to listen for the brrrrrng of the doorbell instead of the buzzz of the drone to get your diapers and Domino’s at home. But if you live on an oil rig, maybe that will change

My how far we have come...

RedHotPoker

2018-1-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

At 747lbs and only carrying 150lbs I'd say they have some work still to do...
Also they really need to work on their flight duration capability, batteries may not be the answer for long haul heavy weight capability, as batts weight a bunch in and of themselves.
I too am sure they'll get there but I would be touting this as some great success just yet.
2018-1-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, large capacity battery weight is always a factor...

Future technology should take care of that.

I doubt they are touting any successes yet, just demonstrating the start of some bigger things to come... ;-)

Only carrying 150lbs? Gads, How much do You weigh? Ha

It did state 250-500lbs before long? That will be awesome. Bring a chubby friend. Snickers

RedHotPoker
2018-1-18
Use props
Nebicaneser
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

we use technologies that are believed to be in the fullness of this, the true technologies that we do not see are used by the elites and armies, all patents stolen from Nikola Tesla .. used to do evil and control the population. For more information make your own search, your life is 100% your responsibility, nobody will come to save your ass

High active aurora research project (H.A.A.R.P)
Scalar interferometry
The vonnegout Connection
2018-1-19
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha RedHot,

Interesting article.  I wish there were more photos of it though.  Very true about the market goals though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2018-1-19 01:55
Aloha RedHot,

Interesting article.  I wish there were more photos of it though.  Very true about the market goals though.

Yes, it interested me, to read about their pursuits.

Future is hopefully brighter because if it.

There are not a lot of pics, but there are a couple of YouTube videos to watch though.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, I read about it indeed.
Nice to see these new birds.
2018-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-19 03:45
Yes, I read about it indeed.
Nice to see these new birds.

We can only imagine. They can dream, design, build and sell the finished product.  ;-)

It's going to be a very busy sky soon... Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-1-19
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

How long before they implement air lanes for drones http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/bus ... l-system-for-drones
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-19 03:54
We can only imagine. They can dream, design, build and sell the finished product.  ;-)

It's to be a busy sky soon... Haha

That last part does worry me a little.
2018-1-19
Use props
Phantom Rebel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

Boeing claiming to be at the cutting edge of technology?
Absolute rubbish.
The brits are far more advanced than they could ever wish to be.
Typical BS being spouted from U.S companies blowing their own trumpets again.
2018-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantom Rebel Posted at 2018-1-19 08:10
Boeing claiming to be at the cutting edge of technology?
Absolute rubbish.
The brits are far more advanced than they could ever wish to be.

We only see what they wish to reveal. Haha
The continued education of the public.

Meanwhile in that Fifth Element high security lab...

RedHotPoker
2018-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-19 05:19
That last part does worry me a little.

We may all live to see many eye opening events, soon.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-19
Use props
Phantom Rebel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-19 11:03
We only see what they wish to reveal. Haha
The continued education of the public.

They're revealing what they are for a reason, the reason being...
They want to fool us into thinking that they're the pioneers behind this so called breakthrough.
I live in Derby, the home of Rolls Royce. Their aerospace facility is 2 miles from me, I have friends and family that have worked at RR for past generations. They like to keep things quiet, especially new designs etc etc.
Industrial espionage is rife, one person stealing another persons blueprints and ideas. The Americans are excellent at that.
Lets go back to the 60's and the space race. America versus Russia. They (America) had the entire world fooled!
2018-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, they do. I don't think they are trying to say they are the leaders or immovators. But only trying to demonstrate their keen and vested interest in this ongoing, growing technology.

Although hobby class and bigger drones have been around for over a decade, the uses of industrial strength, heavy lift drones is still quite new. This is the story.

I don't know much about Rolls & Royce fine automobiles. But most big companies, hold their winning hand cards, close to the "poker" vest.

So here we are, it's Tuesday. In North America.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules