Vigevano, Italy - Piazza Ducale, The Bramante Tower - One of the ...
1454 21 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elektrica
First Officer
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Vigevano is crowned by the Castello Sforzesco, a stronghold rebuilt 1492–94 for Ludovico Maria Sforza (Ludovico il Moro), the great patron born in the town, who transformed the fortification/hunting lodge of Luchino Visconti (who in turn had re-used a Lombard fortress) into a rich noble residence, at the cusp of Gothic and Renaissance. Leonardo da Vinci was his guest at Vigevano, as was Bramante, who is ascribed with the tall tower that watches over the piazza from the Castello Sforzesco. The old castle has a unique raised covered road, high enough for horsemen to ride through, that communicates between the new palace and the old fortifications; there is a Falconry, an elegant loggiato supported by 48 columns, and, in the rear area of the mastio, the Ladies' Loggia made for Duchess Beatrice d'Este.
2018-1-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful city but the colors were little bit faded?
All red bricks should pop out!
2018-1-18
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

dronist Posted at 2018-1-18 16:48
Beautiful city but the colors were little bit faded?
All red bricks should pop out!

Tried, but there's a strong flickering effect, which I tried to remove with NEAT, deflicker, etc. to no avail.
2018-1-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2018-1-18 16:59
Tried, but there's a strong flickering effect, which I tried to remove with NEAT, deflicker, etc. to no avail.

Mannnn! It could have been great. I love the red brick and what it brings to a scene!
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

always impresses me!
2018-1-18
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I really like the video, and the music... but the moire everywhere really killed it for me. I assume it was shot in 4K? The compression artifacts (from the Mavic's low bit-rate at capture) make 4K not always the best choice for this kind of scene, unfortunately. Can you go back and shoot the exact same thing in 2.7K at 24fps? :-)
2018-1-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I liked it. Pretty
2018-1-18
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

Nice video of a beautiful place.
2018-1-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I used to use transitions between all my cuts, but then read a couple of books that recommended either eliminating or greatly reducing their use.  The authors pointed out that you rarely see transitions in movies or other professional videos.  The recommendation was to limit their use to places where there has been a major shift in distance or time.  So I tried taking an old video and removing all the transitions.  I found I liked it better than the original.  
2018-1-18
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

dronist Posted at 2018-1-18 18:17
Mannnn! It could have been great. I love the red brick and what it brings to a scene!

Next time I will use different settings
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Thanks Grace!
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-18 20:42
I really like the video, and the music... but the moire everywhere really killed it for me. I assume it was shot in 4K? The compression artifacts (from the Mavic's low bit-rate at capture) make 4K not always the best choice for this kind of scene, unfortunately. Can you go back and shoot the exact same thing in 2.7K at 24fps? :-)

I am doing some tests to find the ideal setting to shoot with the Mavic. I assume the ND filter is a must to avoid further issues.
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-18 21:19
I used to use transitions between all my cuts, but then read a couple of books that recommended either eliminating or greatly reducing their use.  The authors pointed out that you rarely see transitions in movies or other professional videos.  The recommendation was to limit their use to places where there has been a major shift in distance or time.  So I tried taking an old video and removing all the transitions.  I found I liked it better than the original.

I eliminated them a while ago from my videos, this was an exception to the rule
2018-1-19
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2018-1-19 00:07
I eliminated them a while ago from my videos, this was an exception to the rule

An ND filter will allow you to reduce your shutter speed. Most Hollywood movies are shot at 24fps, a standard which came into being because at the time, it was mechanically  difficult to make movie cameras which could transport film through the camera reliably. 24fps is about as slow as you can go and still mimic what the human eye sees. The human eye is only capable of actually "seeing" for fractions of a second at a time. The rest of the time, the eye is resting and not transmitting data to our brains. Whle the eye is resting, we see a lingering after-image from the previous time the eye captured an image. This is called persistence of vision.

When shooting film at 24fps, we want to expose the frame for about half of the time that the film is stationary in front of the lens. If the subject or camera is moving, there will be some motion blur recorded on the film. Again, this is also what happens when we look at moving objects with the human eye, the image is blurred. With video, the same holds true... We expose the sensor to light for half of the time the sensor is recording a frame. The motion blur looks pleasing to the eye, because it looks natural to us. So, when shooting film or video at 24fps, we use a shutter speed of 1/48th second. Most video cameras don't have a 1/48th second setting, so we use the next closest setting, 1/50th second.

The idea of the ND filter is to reduce the amount of light reaching the film/sensor, so that we can expose the scene correctly when our camera is set to record at 24fps with a shutter speed of 1/50th second.

Some will say that as long as your shutter speed is twice the frame rate, you'll achieve the "cinematic look" because you're following the "180-degree shutter rule". But that's not true. A fast frame rate freezes motion, even when the shutter speed is increased to give a 180-degree shutter. This results in what is often called hyper-real images.... Or images "that look like they were shot on a video camera", which is not "cinematic" at all. If it's the effect you're going for, that's fine, of course.

Images shot at 30fps and 1/60 second look pretty similar to those shot at 24fps and 1/50 second.4K on the Mavic just suffers because the bit rate is not high enough and so data has to be compressed. You're seeing compression artifacts in the video. I'm not sure an ND filter will necessarily help.
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-19 01:04
An ND filter will allow you to reduce your shutter speed. Most Hollywood movies are shot at 24fps, a standard which came into being because at the time, it was mechanically  difficult to make movie cameras which could transport film through the camera reliably. 24fps is about as slow as you can go and still mimic what the human eye sees. The human eye is only capable of actually "seeing" for fractions of a second at a time. The rest of the time, the eye is resting and not transmitting data to our brains. Whle the eye is resting, we see a lingering after-image from the previous time the eye captured an image. This is called persistence of vision.

When shooting film at 24fps, we want to expose the frame for about half of the time that the film is stationary in front of the lens. If the subject or camera is moving, there will be some motion blur recorded on the film. Again, this is also what happens when we look at moving objects with the human eye, the image is blurred. With video, the same holds true... We expose the sensor to light for half of the time the sensor is recording a frame. The motion blur looks pleasing to the eye, because it looks natural to us. So, when shooting film or video at 24fps, we use a shutter speed of 1/48th second. Most video cameras don't have a 1/48th second setting, so we use the next closest setting, 1/50th second.

Got it, it pretty much matches what I gathered in the last couple of days.
If anyone is interested in playing around with a bit of the footage, here a link.
I would love to see different treatments:

Test footage
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice footage!
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-19 01:04
An ND filter will allow you to reduce your shutter speed. Most Hollywood movies are shot at 24fps, a standard which came into being because at the time, it was mechanically  difficult to make movie cameras which could transport film through the camera reliably. 24fps is about as slow as you can go and still mimic what the human eye sees. The human eye is only capable of actually "seeing" for fractions of a second at a time. The rest of the time, the eye is resting and not transmitting data to our brains. Whle the eye is resting, we see a lingering after-image from the previous time the eye captured an image. This is called persistence of vision.

When shooting film at 24fps, we want to expose the frame for about half of the time that the film is stationary in front of the lens. If the subject or camera is moving, there will be some motion blur recorded on the film. Again, this is also what happens when we look at moving objects with the human eye, the image is blurred. With video, the same holds true... We expose the sensor to light for half of the time the sensor is recording a frame. The motion blur looks pleasing to the eye, because it looks natural to us. So, when shooting film or video at 24fps, we use a shutter speed of 1/48th second. Most video cameras don't have a 1/48th second setting, so we use the next closest setting, 1/50th second.

Interesting read
2018-1-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice and I guess you chose the profiles to suit what you wanted from the image - not my place to dictate anyones artistic preference...
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

A CW Posted at 2018-1-19 03:43
Very nice and I guess you chose the profiles to suit what you wanted from the image - not my place to dictate anyones artistic preference...

Not really, I was just testing things out.
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Indeed it is!
2018-1-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Elektrica Posted at 2018-1-19 10:19
Not really, I was just testing things out.

No harm in experimenting - lots to learn!
2018-1-19
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

A CW Posted at 2018-1-19 10:20
No harm in experimenting - lots to learn!

Alway in dire need of learning!
2018-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules