12Next >
6197 48 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lee Moon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

I'm starting to mess around more with the Shallow Focus photo mode.  I like what the Spark can do in this mode.  It's a bit hit and miss for me as I learn how close/far away the Spark can be for good results.  The background also seems to matter for the software to differentiate between the subject(s) and the background.
Subject notwithstanding, this particular Shallow Focus photo came out well.  The lighting helped illuminate me from the side and back.
I've included the non-Shallow Focus image as well for comparison.
Loving my Spark!!

2018-1-18
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

2018-1-18
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Images not working?
2018-1-18
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

I was trying to include the images in the initial post, but I couldn't add them.  Had to put them in a new post.  I'm probably doing something wrong. LOL!
2018-1-18
Use props
peselito
lvl.2
United States

Great picture! I love the comparison between the two shots and how much more the shallow focus adds to the image!

Can't wait to get my Spark now!

Keep it up
2018-1-18
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

peselito Posted at 2018-1-18 18:45
Great picture! I love the comparison between the two shots and how much more the shallow focus adds to the image!

Can't wait to get my Spark now!

Thank you peselito!
When I was researching the Spark, Shallow Focus wasn't a primary feature that I was looking for.  Now that I've used it, I can see the value in taking shallow depth of field photos from the Spark.  It's also nice to be able to refocus and/or change the focus point after the fact.
2018-1-18
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

I'm bummed, I still can't see your picture, silly mobile app.
I bet it looks cool though.
2018-1-18
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-18 18:58
I'm bummed, I still can't see your picture, silly mobile app.
I bet it looks cool though.

They're just 2 jpegs, so I don't know why they're not showing up on your mobile device.  On the other hand, the photos are of me so there's no great loss there. LOL!
2018-1-18
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I was checking out this feature with my car as the subject. (You really don't want selfies of me). I plan on using this feature more often.
2018-1-18
Use props
Raimenzio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237057 ft
Lithuania

Never tired that feature, but looks really good - dslr like =)
2018-1-18
Use props
Raimenzio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237057 ft
Lithuania

jimm00re Posted at 2018-1-18 22:21
I was checking out this feature with my car as the subject. (You really don't want selfies of me). I plan on using this feature more often.
[view_image]

This one looks a bit too much, is that blur adjustable?
2018-1-18
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, I didn't even know that this feature existed. Thanks for posting the comparison photos -- looks awesome!
2018-1-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Thank you Lee, amazing effect. I had never tried it so far.
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is great to see how far technology has come.
Although it does not live up to the 'real deal'.
Mostly visible in these things.
- The edges of the subject
- True 'bokeh' is usually showing some specific pattern, depending on the lens.
- No graduate blur (normally blur does not kick in at once)
- Impossible blur (the background separation depends on a lot of things like focal length, but also the distance to the subject). So far the 'fake' one does take that into consideration.
But still nice to see how far tech has come already!
2018-1-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great work! Thanks for sharing
2018-1-19
Use props
Nikp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123947 ft
Seychelles

Nice. I just started playing around with this function as well. It’s great that you can change the position of the focus afterwards.

Not quite sure what you mean with how close or far the spark is for the result. I think it doesn’t really matter!?
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

I was checking out this feature with my car as the subject. (You really don't want selfies of me). I plan on using this feature more often.
[view_image]

Great shot! And I love your Ioniq. Lots of great reviews on it.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Raimenzio Posted at 2018-1-18 23:40
Never tired that feature, but looks really good - dslr like =)

Thanks Raimenzio! It does give a nice DSLR-like effect and is nice to have the option of using it.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Raimenzio Posted at 2018-1-18 23:41
This one looks a bit too much, is that blur adjustable?

Yes, you can adjust the blur level and the focus point after the fact.  If you keep the original shallow focus images, you can go in and change the blur as often as you want (and save each version.)
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Trip Astute Posted at 2018-1-19 00:43
Wow, I didn't even know that this feature existed. Thanks for posting the comparison photos -- looks awesome!

Thank you, Trip Astute!
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-19 02:49
Thank you Lee, amazing effect. I had never tried it so far.

Thank you, Wachtberger! It really is fun to use.  I'm still getting the hang of it and they don't always work.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-19 02:56
It is great to see how far technology has come.
Although it does not live up to the 'real deal'.
Mostly visible in these things.

I agree, Montfrooij.  The photos taken with my older Canon DSLR are superior to the Spark's Shallow Focus, but the SF photos are really cool and impressive on their own.  Technology is pushing forward and I'm glad the Spark has this particular feature.  Who knows how much it will improve in the future with better lens and cameras.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-19 03:24
Great work! Thanks for sharing

Thank you, A CW!
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lee Moon Posted at 2018-1-19 07:24
I agree, Montfrooij.  The photos taken with my older Canon DSLR are superior to the Spark's Shallow Focus, but the SF photos are really cool and impressive on their own.  Technology is pushing forward and I'm glad the Spark has this particular feature.  Who knows how much it will improve in the future with better lens and cameras.

Yes, that is for sure.
They made good progress on this.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Nikp Posted at 2018-1-19 03:45
Nice. I just started playing around with this function as well. It’s great that you can change the position of the focus afterwards.

Not quite sure what you mean with how close or far the spark is for the result. I think it doesn’t really matter!?

Thank you, Nikp!  I've gotten poor results when the Spark is too close. That might be due to the breezy conditions I've been dealing with since getting the Spark. It also seems that when the Spark is too far away the relative distance between subject(s) and background weakens the effect, but again, I'm just starting to play with Shallow Focus.
It really is a cool feature and I hope to become more proficient at it as time goes on.
2018-1-19
Use props
Nikp
lvl.4
Seychelles

Lee Moon Posted at 2018-1-19 07:28
Thank you, Nikp!  I've gotten poor results when the Spark is too close. That might be due to the breezy conditions I've been dealing with since getting the Spark. It also seems that when the Spark is too far away the relative distance between subject(s) and background weakens the effect, but again, I'm just starting to play with Shallow Focus.
It really is a cool feature and I hope to become more proficient at it as time goes on.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Like you I’m pretty new to the shallow focus. I’ve actually only gotten one pic by now. I tried it for the first time today!!
Will test more with different distances of the spark from the object..

2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Nikp Posted at 2018-1-19 07:33
Ok. Thanks for the info. Like you I’m pretty new to the shallow focus. I’ve actually only gotten one pic by now. I tried it for the first time today!!

That's a great shot, Nikp. Thanks for sharing it! I'd love to see what your testing shows. I learn so much from everyone here on the forum.
2018-1-19
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

The shallow focus really makes the main subject jump out.
2018-1-19
Use props
Sidd Finch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

The first shot looked really good. I recently saw a video that explained how a smartphone does the shallow DOF look and from what I gathered it is how well the sensor can see the outline of the shape in the foreground compared to the light coming from behind it. Any looks like you did a good job.

Sidd
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-19 07:54
The shallow focus really makes the main subject jump out.

It does, Grmachine! The effect isn't always perfect, but when it works, it does draw attention to the in-focus subject.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-1-19 08:19
The first shot looked really good. I recently saw a video that explained how a smartphone does the shallow DOF look and from what I gathered it is how well the sensor can see the outline of the shape in the foreground compared to the light coming from behind it. Any looks like you did a good job.

Sidd

Thank you, Sidd! The Spark needs the scene to be fairly static for a second while it hovers and then quickly pops up about a foot (taking additional photos during the "hop".)  It then uses the extra photos to detect the foreground from the background.  It's quite cool to use.  I'm having a lot of fun trying the effect out.  I just need to find better subject matter! LOL!
2018-1-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

never used this option, but I will definitely try it once it warms up here in Canada .. LOL
2018-1-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

[view_image]

That is pretty cool . makes the car look like a toy vs a real car.
2018-1-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Nikp Posted at 2018-1-19 07:33
Ok. Thanks for the info. Like you I’m pretty new to the shallow focus. I’ve actually only gotten one pic by now. I tried it for the first time today!!

nice picture.  the Shallow Focus almost makes the picture look fake but a nice fake .. LOL
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-1-19 08:26
never used this option, but I will definitely try it once it warms up here in Canada .. LOL

It's definitely fun to play around with.  Hope your weather warms up soon!
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-1-19 08:27
That is pretty cool . makes the car look like a toy vs a real car.

Yes, it gives it a tilt-shift miniature effect.  Those look really cool as well.  I did one of me standing in the yard and it gives the impression that I'm a garden figurine, sort of. LOL!  Some say I look like that in real life.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-1-19 08:27
nice picture.  the Shallow Focus almost makes the picture look fake but a nice fake .. LOL

Nikp did a good job on it.  I do find the "less is more" approach can be quite satisfying on these SF photos.  Just enough blur to enhance the subject.  On the other hand, I've used maximum blur to try to get a creative shot.  More experimentation on my part will help, plus seeing what others are doing with the effect.
2018-1-19
Use props
Nikp
lvl.4
Seychelles

Lee Moon Posted at 2018-1-19 08:36
Nikp did a good job on it.  I do find the "less is more" approach can be quite satisfying on these SF photos.  Just enough blur to enhance the subject.  On the other hand, I've used maximum blur to try to get a creative shot.  More experimentation on my part will help, plus seeing what others are doing with the effect.

Thank you. Looking at it for a while now, I agree it’s a bit overused. Also I guess the subject I used was not quite perfect yet. Gotta experiment as well
Could be a great feature when you find a nice subject though...

But have you also noticed that when you take a shallow pic, it takes around 3pictures from different heights and then it seems to calculate for a while (spinning wheel over the trigger button) this takes maybe 10seconds. Not sure if it’s still taking pictures there or what it’s doing.
2018-1-19
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

Nikp Posted at 2018-1-19 10:17
Thank you. Looking at it for a while now, I agree it’s a bit overused. Also I guess the subject I used was not quite perfect yet. Gotta experiment as well  
Could be a great feature when you find a nice subject though...

It's a great shot and the beauty is that you can refocus on another part of the photo and/or change the blur effect. And save each "edit" to a new static photo.
I forget how many photos Shallow Focus takes when it makes the height change.  I believe the first photo it takes is a full resolution one and the others are lower resolution to provide the perspective changes for calculating relative depth.  It would be nice if the final shallow focus photos were full resolution instead of 1080p images.  They're still cool though!
2018-1-19
Use props
Fractal_CZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720761 ft
Czechia

I have to try it as well - never did it. Thank you for sharing, nice shots.
2018-1-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules