Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
15 Tips For Beginner Drone Pilots
12Next >
14270 55 2018-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

15 Tips For Beginner Drone Pilots

b1.jpg

Congratulations on being a new drone pilot! We all understand the excitement of getting a new drone. But don’t rush into flying just yet! It’s relatively straightforward to take off, but do you know every button’s function or have a good understanding of how your drone reacts to the remote controller? Before you head out and get it in the air, you should know your drone well.  As it’s the best way to prevent crashes and flyaways. Furthermore, it’s being responsible for the safety of yourself, others, and your drone.
Operating a drone can sometimes be tricky. So to avoid any silly missteps, it’s essential to read the product’s manual and get familiar with DJI’s GO apps and pay close attention to preflight preparations . After you understand your drone’s capabilities and limitations choose a safe test flight zone and practice some basic maneuvers before you take the leash off. Additionally, remember to take advantage of free online resources.
Here, we’ve summarized 15 tips to help first-time drone pilots prepare for their air adventures.
b2.jpg

Practice makes perfect. Enjoy the learning process and have fun flying! And one more thing, don’t forget to inspect your drone regularly and store it properly.

The content origins from :BUYINGGUIDES

2018-1-18
Use props
Lee Moon
First Officer
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

Thank you for posting these tips! I'm truly enjoying my Spark.
2018-1-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This should be part of the introduction to new pilots after activation.
2018-1-18
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-18 21:25
This should be part of the introduction to new pilots after activation.

What he said! Sumpin’ like this should be in the box / manual for sure, even if just a link!
2018-1-18
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

well done...

this with the guide of the manual djigo app ... ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-118397-1-1.html )

they are always very useful

thank you
2018-1-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent info for all new pilots.
2018-1-19
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

AlexVideoShark  Posted at 2018-1-18 23:57
well done...

this with the guide of the manual djigo app ... ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-118397-1-1.html )

Really hope that you guys would enjoy it !
2018-1-19
Use props
Samoth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Good thing I read it: my first objective was to run into an obstacle...
Thanks for reminding me that it might be a bad idea

More seriously, I hope it will help some people
2018-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Again a great tutorial!
2018-1-19
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

There is a disconnect with one part of this guidance, at least for the Phantom 4 series when it comes to your guidance about performing a compass calibration, stating to do one as it is essential before a flight.
According to the manuals for the P4S pg 56 and P4P pg 57 it clearly states to only calibrate the compass when the GO 4 app says to do so.
You either need to qualify your guidance or change the manuals.  It is best that you do not perform unnecessary compass calibrations as it only increases the likelihood of introducing error in to the system.
2018-1-19
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Great tips for beginners!
2018-1-19
Use props
Donnie - Apple
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

One tip I will addd is on the RTH setting , make sure it is higher than any  obstacle in the flight area but Not much more than that , many times if the RTH is activated you may have a low battery as well and you don't want to have any unnecessary altitude  as this just drains the battery power  and increases flight time where you may not have the luxury of extra time. ( that was one long sentence !)

So bottom line set the RTH height at about 5% -10% above the Highest obstacle in your flight area and no more .  Trust me on this as this advice comes from experience.

Also after any update to your system  be sure to check all the TAB settings as sometimes setting values  can change back to the defaults.  

donnie
2018-1-19
Use props
e-kitiran
First Officer
Flight distance : 32680 ft
Indonesia

Thanks, print on large paper and stick on my wall.
2018-1-19
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Nice. Glad to see this at the top. That should really help many new pilots.
2018-1-19
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Addition the the "Check weather conditions"point, do not fly against the sun or in strong light.
2018-1-19
Use props
Langner91
Captain
Flight distance : 3474 ft
United States

Good stuff!  I appreciate the reminders.
2018-1-19
Use props
Papa Ski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 90272 ft
United States

Great advice for new and old pilots.  I would add to the list:  "When in doubt, return home and regroup."  (This can be manual or the RTH button depending on your comfort).  Reading through these forums it appears a lot of accidents happen because people see/hear warnings and then push the envelope a little further.  Easy for me to say, but hard to do in the moment.
2018-1-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-19 04:19
There is a disconnect with one part of this guidance, at least for the Phantom 4 series when it comes to your guidance about performing a compass calibration, stating to do one as it is essential before a flight.
According to the manuals for the P4S pg 56 and P4P pg 57 it clearly states to only calibrate the compass when the GO 4 app says to do so.
You either need to qualify your guidance or change the manuals.  It is best that you do not perform unnecessary compass calibrations as it only increases the likelihood of introducing error in to the system.

Correct and it is the same in all up to date manuals.
2018-1-19
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-19 10:03
Correct and it is the same in all up to date manuals.

I thought as much but I have not gone through them to know for sure...
It makes sense, as why would you change it for one and not the others since the procedure and systems are nearly identical.
Copy all
2018-1-19
Use props
Brambleman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

This guide says that to calibrate the compass before every flight, but in the Spark forum it has been repeatedly stated by moderators that you should not calibrate unless you are prompted to by the application. Which is the best advise for my Spark? Calibrate every time? Or only when it tells me to?
2018-1-19
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Brambleman Posted at 2018-1-19 12:52
This guide says that to calibrate the compass before every flight, but in the Spark forum it has been repeatedly stated by moderators that you should not calibrate unless you are prompted to by the application. Which is the best advise for my Spark? Calibrate every time? Or only when it tells me to?

What does your manual say...
2018-1-19
Use props
fans7bfe1625
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61309 ft
United States

Thank you great tips
2018-1-20
Use props
FlyinMajic2day
lvl.4
Flight distance : 361552 ft
United States

Great Tutorial! I actually read and watched videos for hours before my first flight! Loving my Spark I received from brother as a Christmas gift. This forum has been very helpful..Thank you as I continue learming.
As far as Compass Calibration, this is what I understand..

Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so. Observe the following rules when calibrating your compass:
DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as near magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground.
DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as cellular phones.
The DJI GO 4 app will notify you if the compass is a ected by strong interference after calibration is complete. Follow the prompts to resolve the compass issue.

hope this helps
2018-1-20
Use props
Yasser & Amir L
First Officer
Flight distance : 2728986 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Tips that will be useful to many beginners for sure!
2018-1-21
Use props
Donnie - Apple
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Brambleman Posted at 2018-1-19 12:52
This guide says that to calibrate the compass before every flight, but in the Spark forum it has been repeatedly stated by moderators that you should not calibrate unless you are prompted to by the application. Which is the best advise for my Spark? Calibrate every time? Or only when it tells me to?

I only calibrate  after firmware updates or if the machine starts flying out of character ( you learn this over time what is and is NOT normal). Also if you travel more than 150 miles from the last point of compass calibration.  It is not so much the distance as it is North -South ( or vice versa )  Travel but the  150 miles is a guideline.

So bottom line do it once and with success and then only on occasion , doing it before each flight is asking for trouble .

donnie
2018-1-21
Use props
TIm b
New
United Kingdom

Great advice.  had my phantom 4 pro i day and crashed it.  £800 later............  My mistake was two fold.   i read the instructions played on the simulator took my time with the first flight and all went well.    Then i got over confident as i learnt the controls fairly easily, or so i thought!  decided to do a sprint home and didn't look behind me.  The rest is a very expensive lesson.

so don't assume you can't fly this thing effectively because you have worked out which is forward and reverse on your controls.  

very good footage of a drone crash though
2018-1-21
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The manual should be included in the box and not just the quick-start guide. Always found that strange. It would encourage people to read it instead of downloading it online 1st. Bit like getting a new car with no operating guide really.
2018-1-22
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Great post. But I am curious about one thing: Under Set Return to Home (RTH) Altitude it mentions you can set a distance and altitude limit to prevent flyaways. How does doing that prevent flyaways? Does the drone just stop and hover when the limit has been reached?
2018-1-22
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice, any chance of making this a downloadable PDF?
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-22 14:15
Very nice, any chance of making this a downloadable PDF?

Maybe you can use screenshot to record it!
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

test test test
2018-1-22
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Most helpful !
2018-1-24
Use props
Easy Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 41414 ft
United States

nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-11-2
Use props
darkfull1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

I just started with my Spark and these tips are really good.
2018-12-28
Use props
pianoplayer7
First Officer
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

Thanks for the tips!
2019-1-3
Use props
Master.
Captain
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

I guess most people try to fly their drone indoor when they first got it. LOL
2019-1-13
Use props
RockytheSquirrel
lvl.1
United States

Great tips.  Thanks for posting!
2019-1-31
Use props
Eick willson
New

Sri Lanka

This is Truly great, I learned lot of tips from here.

Tutuapp
2019-2-1
Use props
smartuser
New

Philippines

I cant believe that flying a drone is that easy. I hope you can also customized drones easily according to codes
Website
2019-5-31
Use props
Miro Perez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 25374 ft
United States

Great tips
2019-8-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced