DJI GS Pro and Aerial Mapping
1853 7 2018-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SyamaPilot
New

Mali

Hi,

I have been using a few products to do mapping of stockpiles etc - namely Pix4d and Drone Deploy. I have varying bits of successs with both products but then came across DJI GS Pro which I thought would make sense - its a DJI Product made for a DJI drone and it could get rid of some of the quirks I have with other flights.

However when I fire it up and choose a new mission it puts me smack in the middle of an ocean ! Any idea why ?

Also interested to hear other experiences with mapping.

Thanks
Sean

2018-1-19
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Works ok with me - I take you have the drone turned on as well?
2018-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Would that piece of ocean be south of Nigeria?
Around 0°N  0°E ?
That's because your tablet isn't providing any location information.
2018-1-19
Use props
SyamaPilot
New

Mali

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-19 15:44
Would that piece of ocean be south of Nigeria?
Around 0°N  0°E ?
That's because your tablet isn't providing any location information.

Appreciate the replies. Yes you are right - it does put me at 0N 0E ! That is interesting. I was under the impression the Ipad I had, had internal GPS. It certainly seems to work with other products.

How come it doesnt use the drone GPS if I connect that before I start ?

I'll look into the ipad GPS some more.

Cheers
2018-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SyamaPilot Posted at 2018-1-19 21:15
Appreciate the replies. Yes you are right - it does put me at 0N 0E ! That is interesting. I was under the impression the Ipad I had, had internal GPS. It certainly seems to work with other products.

How come it doesnt use the drone GPS if I connect that before I start ?

The iPad will only have GPS if it is a cellular model.
But even if it has GPS, it could be disabled in the Location Services section of the iPad settings.
2018-1-19
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France

I think if you go and do a flight, it will move to there.
I last used it in the north of France but am now in the south. The map is still starting in the north. DJI GO4 is the same. It seems it reverts to the last known position and if there is none it reverts to 0º,0º ?

2018-1-19
Use props
SyamaPilot
New

Mali

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-19 21:52
The iPad will only have GPS if it is a cellular model.
But even if it has GPS, it could be disabled in the Location Services section of the iPad settings.

Hi Labroides - and thanks ! It was indeed disabled in location services. I hadnt even thought of that !

Champ !!

Cheers
Sean
2018-1-19
Use props
Nuno Santos
lvl.1

Portugal

Hello,

I'm new here, but I use to follow all the latest developments, mainly for survey applications. After losing some days searching on the web for solutions similar to UgCS for planning survey missions, I realized that doesn't exist, and the only available that has a proper and complete setup is the maps made easy, with a full possibilities to change the settings. The drone deploy is ok, but not for a professional use, as for example, you can't change the lens??? But the main point here is, and I hope this can be read by DJI and the rest of the developers of survey app's, how can they say that is for professional users, when the applications only runs in a crap device like iPad??? If is hot, doesn't work, if it's cold, doesn't work.. what is this, really? and this is for professional users. When we will see these planning/survey applications running on a windows device or at least in a android, because this way we can use a professional tablet, like Panasonic, or similar. For me, this lack of sense of what is a professional use, is just impossible to believe from companies like DJI, Drone Deploy, Apple.. and if this kind of application is to be running only in ios devices, for when Apple will produce a real pro device, not a crap as iPad Pro or any other from the same family, that is for the Pro's in a warm and cozy office. Please, DJI, take it serious, and instead calling Industrial users and applications only to the drones, don't forget that these flying machines need to be controlled by an industrial device. Yes, I must say, that with the new Cendence and the Cristalsky they are going in the right direction, but for now not even the GS Pro can run in the Cristalsky.

Cheers
Nuno Santos
aerisurvey.com
2018-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules