Phantom 4 Series Battery Charging Hub-Buy or Don't Buy?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I have wanted to get the DJI Phantom 4 Series Battery Charging Hub for some time now.  However, in doing my research and reading reviews I have found too many reporting that the device has bricked their batteries when in storage mode.  This would be catastrophic losing 3 batteries in one swoop if that were to occur.
I am looking to hear from whomever out there who has this item and what their experience with it has been and recommendations for whether I should spend the money in getting it.  $90 US is not a small amount of change, although I noticed that Amazon sells the same "DJI" item for a noticeably less amount, but I was wondering if they were selling refurbished units.
Any suggestions, opinions, and thoughts are welcome, please.

https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-battery-charging-hub?vid=6381
Phantom 4 Series Battery Charging Hub
USD $90
Charge 3 batteries together

2018-1-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

To my best understanding the problems with storage mode has been said to be a problem with the firmware in the charger.
The firmware is supposed to be found in the P4 download section but i see none so i guess there has been no updates, perhaps yet a bad supported device from DJI?

I think that if you do not leave the batteries in the hub for longer times it would be safe to use, remove the batteries when discharge to storage level is done.

If you bite the bait, please let's hear how it turns out.

Edit: the firmware download link in the manual for the charger, http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info#download change to this link https://www.dji.com/phantom-4/info#downloads so the manual also is not up to date ...
2018-1-20
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Also take a note on the specifications in the manual, seem to not support the high capacity batteries.

charginghub.png
2018-1-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-20 01:44
To my best understanding the problems with storage mode has been said to be a problem with the firmware in the charger.
The firmware is supposed to be found in the P4 download section but i see none so i guess there has been no updates, perhaps yet a bad supported device from DJI?

If I do I will let you know...I'm not surprised that the manual is out of date, par for the course in that department.
2018-1-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-20 01:55
Also take a note on the specifications in the manual, seem to not support the high capacity batteries.

[view_image]

That is an interesting note, it does say P4 Series though...mismark, out of date, makes you wonder now doesn't it...it would be nice to have a charging hub.  In this case I'm not so sure, as I'm finding more questions than answers...
2018-1-20
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-20 02:44
That is an interesting note, it does say P4 Series though...mismark, out of date, makes you wonder now doesn't it...it would be nice to have a charging hub.  In this case I'm not so sure, as I'm finding more questions than answers...

I guess it is a part of a outdated manual but if i was in your shoes i'll get a written reply from DJI that it is good for your needs and batteries.
Should something turn out to go wrong, as is DJI can tell you you used batteries out of specs and you hang on the costs ...
2018-1-20
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

for some obscure reason the charging hub was included in my purchase price of the P4P. Don't know why but good to have a win now and again Has been a handy thing to have but I haven't used it in storage mode.
2018-1-20
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have one. I’ve used it on ten charging cycles with no problems. After each battery has been used, I switch it to storage and place all three batteries in it at the same time. It sets each battery to storage and an led turns blue. I take them out of the charger and store them until next charge. Working fine so far.

Jeff
Edit” I forgot to say that I purchased this item from an authorized reseller on eBay”
2018-1-20
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here it is just after completing the days charge...

Jeff
2018-1-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Genghis9, I have one and it's never bricked my batteries or given me any issues at all. Bought mine from the DJI site.
2018-1-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

BigBlueTsunami Posted at 2018-1-20 07:37
I have one. I’ve used it on ten charging cycles with no problems. After each battery has been used, I switch it to storage and place all three batteries in it at the same time. It sets each battery to storage and an led turns blue. I take them out of the charger and store them until next charge. Working fine so far.

Jeff

So you let them work till they are down or up to storage levels and then remove them for physical storage after that, correct?
2018-1-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-20 10:29
Hey Genghis9, I have one and it's never bricked my batteries or given me any issues at all. Bought mine from the DJI site.

OK good to know, and I assume you have used both modes, yes?
2018-1-20
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-20 16:06
So you let them work till they are down or up to storage levels and then remove them for physical storage after that, correct?

Yes that is correct. I fly until I'm close to the preset 30% alarm point. Then I change batteries. When I return home I switch to storage and insert all three batteries. It sets each, one at a time, to the storage value and the LED next to the battery turns blue. I remove all three when it has completed. I recall that it usually only takes about 30 minutes to cycle a storage charge.

Jeff
2018-1-20
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Buy It!! I have my smart hub, and it works to its capabilities
2018-1-20
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-20 16:07
OK good to know, and I assume you have used both modes, yes?

yep and also use the 160w cord with it and not the 100w one. Charges a bit quicker too.  
2018-1-20
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

I can give mine the green light, so far at least. Bought from Amazon if I remember correctly.
2018-1-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I use one and have never had any problems. I find it very handy to use for putting batteries into storage. It is much easier to use the hub then to have to run the batteries down to storage level in the Phantom.
I would advise to buy one either direct from DJI or an authorised DJI reseller.
2018-1-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

BigBlueTsunami Posted at 2018-1-20 16:56
Yes that is correct. I fly until I'm close to the preset 30% alarm point. Then I change batteries. When I return home I switch to storage and insert all three batteries. It sets each, one at a time, to the storage value and the LED next to the battery turns blue. I remove all three when it has completed. I recall that it usually only takes about 30 minutes to cycle a storage charge.

Jeff

OK sounds like good advice thanks
2018-1-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-20 17:04
Buy It!! I have my smart hub, and it works to its capabilities

Are you using the newer high capacity batts or the orginial P4 batts?
2018-1-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2018-1-20 18:48
I can give mine the green light, so far at least. Bought from Amazon if I remember correctly.

Can you tell me or PM who the seller was and the price and when you bought it?
please
2018-1-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-1-20 22:01
I use one and have never had any problems. I find it very handy to use for putting batteries into storage. It is much easier to use the hub then to have to run the batteries down to storage level in the Phantom.
I would advise to buy one either direct from DJI or an authorised DJI reseller.

Thanks, I assume you are using the newer High Capacity batts?
2018-1-21
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-21 02:37

Hi Genghis9, my batteries are:

DJI PHANTOM 4 5870 HIGH CAPACITY

Currently the suppliers of the charging station in Germany are:

Of course DJI online store Germany is Euro 99
Saturn (large electronic chain store) Euro 62 (this may be a one time special offer)
Amazon prime Euro 79.99 (supplier my Hobby24)
televerkauf Euro 59 + 7.90 delivery
Then there is Tec & Hobby for Euro 85 and others increasing in price to Euro 120

Sorry I can't find the supplier or price of my original purchace easily, it was not Amazon though, I have checked.

Hope that helps - Doc

2018-1-21
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-21 02:37

Original, I don't really trust those off market batteries.
2018-1-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2018-1-21 04:15
Hi Genghis9, my batteries are:

DJI PHANTOM 4 5870 HIGH CAPACITY

Yes thanks!
2018-1-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-21 09:29
Original, I don't really trust those off market batteries.

OK Thank you for your help and information
2018-1-21
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-21 02:40
Thanks, I assume you are using the newer High Capacity batts?

I wasn't aware there was more than one battery for the P4Pro. Mine are 4S, 5870mah.
2018-1-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-1-21 20:08
I wasn't aware there was more than one battery for the P4Pro. Mine are 4S, 5870mah.

Well not exactly, but you can use the older original batts from the P4S while they aren't as powerful they can still be used...which is why I thought I'd ask
2018-1-21
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So Genghis9 have you taken the leap yet and purchased the charging hub?
Must confess I had forgotten about the Storage Mode so guess I should read the manual. It's only five pages (incl contents page) but if you read it slowly it could take ca. a minute. It's also good value for money as you get about 42 other languages in the same booklet.
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules