Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Killer Waves - RIP Spark 1
928 23 2018-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimm00re
First Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

First and foremost this loss was entirely my fault.  In no way do I blame or is this a reflection DJI or my Spark.

This morning I was along our Coastline for larger than normal waves and was flying around getting photos like the one below.

After a few waves went by, I got too close and one skimmed the bottom of my Spark.  I lifted up and almost immediately had a No Image Transmission Signal warning. I started to fly back and about 50 feet from home it suddenly spun out of control and into the rocks below. Before I could get to it it was swept away by the ocean.  I did see it submerged but could not safely get to it. Later I went back after the tide went out and was unable to locate.  

I suspect that enough water entered to cause the No Image error and later the sudden acceleration incident that sent it into the rocks.

and Yes I have uploaded the log, but theres not much too it... http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/7QR54K0R22LV29KIOZ89/

Spark #2 got activated today so the great pics and fun continues....

IMG_0532.JPG
2018-1-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oops. Would love to see that video though.
2018-1-19
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss.

Like they say, it's not IF we crash, it is a matter of WHEN.
Water and electronics don't match, as you know.
Glad you are "owning it" and not trying to blame DJI, sunspots, etc.

2018-1-19
Use props
Chirpz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20256 ft
United States

Sorry about your loss.... it is a really cool picture though.
2018-1-19
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Very nice picture though.. too bad you couldn't get the spark back and retrive the SD card :-(
2018-1-19
Use props
Samuel Bona
Second Officer
Flight distance : 236102 ft
United States

Cameras are tools, and tools get broken- Thats life. I just destroyed my DSLR camera, wasn't upset about the camera breaking, I was more so upset about how I lost all of those photos (sd card got corrupted)! I hope that I don't crash my spark, I do love the darn thing. But I won't be torn up if I do. Good to see though that you got another one and are back taking photos. Send us more photos of that brilliant landscape you reside by!
Regards--
Samuel Bona
2018-1-19
Use props
Anuvis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

Samuel Bona Posted at 2018-1-19 20:17
Cameras are tools, and tools get broken- Thats life. I just destroyed my DSLR camera, wasn't upset about the camera breaking, I was more so upset about how I lost all of those photos (sd card got corrupted)! I hope that I don't crash my spark, I do love the darn thing. But I won't be torn up if I do. Good to see though that you got another one and are back taking photos. Send us more photos of that brilliant landscape you reside by!
Regards--
Samuel Bona

I totally agree with you....When my friends asking me how i will feel if i loose my drone , i answer them every time that the most important in the drone is the sd card....
2018-1-20
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sucks that its gone and it is encouraging to hear/read when someone admits it was their fault for the loss.
2018-1-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read about your loss - I got into a discussion on this forum about keeping a higher altitude when flying over water but they were having none of it - I'm sure they will experience the same fate. Refreshing that you don't blame anyone else. Hopefully DJI will give you a good discount on your next one for being a loyal customer. Great shot too BTW.
2018-1-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for the loss, but nice ownership of the fault.  Is your new Spark the same color, or something different?
2018-1-20
Use props
eman_vg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-1-19 18:32
Oops. Would love to see that video though.

Agreed, I would want to see the video
2018-1-20
Use props
eman_vg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Ya ... wasn't a good idea to fly a baby Spark that close to the water, unless it was in Sport Mode, it is too slow to react and move in regular mode, hopefully your new Spark is just as good as the old!!
2018-1-20
Use props
jimm00re
First Officer
United States

LouisP Posted at 2018-1-19 19:28
Very nice picture though.. too bad you couldn't get the spark back and retrive the SD card :-(

No doubt, I was hoping to find it for both the card and the DJI Refresh...   
2018-1-20
Use props
jimm00re
First Officer
United States

Samuel Bona Posted at 2018-1-19 20:17
Cameras are tools, and tools get broken- Thats life. I just destroyed my DSLR camera, wasn't upset about the camera breaking, I was more so upset about how I lost all of those photos (sd card got corrupted)! I hope that I don't crash my spark, I do love the darn thing. But I won't be torn up if I do. Good to see though that you got another one and are back taking photos. Send us more photos of that brilliant landscape you reside by!
Regards--
Samuel Bona

So very true, thats why #2 was in my closet already... I just wasn't planning on using it so soon.
2018-1-20
Use props
jimm00re
First Officer
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-20 06:16
Sorry for the loss, but nice ownership of the fault.  Is your new Spark the same color, or something different?

Thanks, My source only has white...
2018-1-20
Use props
jimm00re
First Officer
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-20 06:57
Ya ... wasn't a good idea to fly a baby Spark that close to the water, unless it was in Sport Mode, it is too slow to react and move in regular mode, hopefully your new Spark is just as good as the old!!

I'm sure will be just as good as the first. I tried to lift it a few times yesterday afternoon but landed it the first time due to attention from birds and the second time for wind as it had picked up in the late afternoon. I really didn't want this to evolve into lost two in one day...
2018-1-20
Use props
jimm00re
First Officer
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-20 06:57

I'm sure will be just as good as the first. I tried to lift it a few times yesterday afternoon but landed it the first time due to attention from birds and the second time for wind as it had picked up in the late afternoon. I really didn't want this to evolve into lost two in one day...
2018-1-20
Use props
Samuel Bona
Second Officer
Flight distance : 236102 ft
United States

jimm00re Posted at 2018-1-20 07:21
Thanks, My source only has white...

Oi! I find the white to be the most interesting! Keeps the drone looking clean and professional  (Green had a close second though) ;)
2018-1-20
Use props
rimza
Captain
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

A very brave endeavor.  Taking chances possibly will result in a one in a million photo/video portfolio.

2018-1-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am very sorry for your loss but appreciate your approach to it. And the picture is great! I wish you always happy landings with the new Spark.
2018-1-20
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had almost the same run-in with water mine was a river though on how I lost my P4 and I could not safely retrieve it.  Live and learn and move on
2018-1-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Darn, that is bad luck.
2018-1-20
Use props
CharlieZ
Captain
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, thanks for sharing!
2019-1-7
Use props
darkfull1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Too bad for you drone and especially the sd card with your photos on it. Good that you could get a new spark keep flying and taking awesome images.
2019-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules