Airport notification
1081 8 2018-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hunter89
lvl.1
Flight distance : 407 ft
United States

Hi guys. Very new to drone flying and still trying to learn all the rules. Forgive me if this is in another topic but I could not find an answer. I am in the u.s. I recently purchased a spark and wanted some clarification on airport notification. I know I have to contact airports and heli pads if I am within 5 miles. I have registered and marked my drone. I have seen that you can notify them on airmap so you don't have to call everytime. Is this true and easier or should I just call. I live within 5 miles and have not taken it outside yet because of very cold weather here. Just wondering for when it warms up outside. Very excited to get in the sky soon. Thanks for advice in advance.
2018-1-19
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Double check with B4UFly app as well, some airport have a larger exclusion zone - I live in Vegas and here the class b zone for surface to 10k is 10miles not 5, some busier airports in cities are greater than 5 miles.

But it sounds like your on the right track

Per the FAA:
The person flying the model aircraft is responsible for contacting the airport directly. Many phone numbers for airports are available here:
https://nfdc.faa.gov/xwiki/bin/view/NFDC/Airport+Data
2018-1-19
Use props
Hunter89
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the response. But just clarify. I know toy have to call at the least. My question is can you notify them via air map instead of calling? Or do you have to actually call.
2018-1-19
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

Hunter89 Posted at 2018-1-19 21:56
Thanks for the response. But just clarify. I know toy have to call at the least. My question is can you notify them via air map instead of calling? Or do you have to actually call.

Per the FAA - The person flying the model aircraft is responsible for contacting the airport directly.....

Air map is 3rd party app - that sends a text message to the airport- some airports don’t accept texts etc .... how do you truly know they got the message if you don’t contact them yourself directly and get an answer? But the choice is yours
2018-1-19
Use props
Hunter89
lvl.1
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-19 22:09
Per the FAA - The person flying the aircraft is responsible for contacting the airport directly.....

Air map is 3rd party app - that sends a text message to the airport- some airports don’t accept texts etc .... how do you truly know they got the message if you don’t contact them yourself directly and get an answer? But the choice is yours

I figured. Was just wondering if anyone has tried it. I will definitely call to be safe. Thanks for response.
2018-1-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it varies by airport. For instance: when I flew at Lambeau field in Green Bay all I had to do was leave a recorded message with air traffic control. They even had a number set up just to leave messages for hobby flights. It was pretty easy.

2018-1-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hunter89 Posted at 2018-1-19 22:13
I figured. Was just wondering if anyone has tried it. I will definitely call to be safe. Thanks for response.

Hunter, please enter our website and see if your place is in the NFZ: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map. If you want to unlock NFZ, please contact our email: flysafe@dji.com. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-20
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-20 22:57
Hunter, please enter our website and see if your place is in the NFZ: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map. If you want to unlock NFZ, please contact our email: . Thanks for your support.

Also check the B4UFly app -available both on iOS and Android -this is the FAA official app

Some areas say ok to fly on dji app but aren’t - be careful always best to check the official FAA status of your location. You are responsible if you fly in a no fly zone.  
2018-1-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-21 00:28
Also check the B4UFly app -available both on iOS and Android -this is the FAA official app

Some areas say ok to fly on dji app but aren’t - be careful always best to check the official FAA status of your location. You are responsible if you fly in a no fly zone.

Thanks for your reminding. I think you have a good point. It is good to fly your drone with caution.
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules