Spark Remote connector type ?
16117 18 2018-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kamillean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28123 ft
United States

I bought a Spark Flymore package, and have a question......When connecting the included cable to charge the Spark remote, I can't help but notice the hole in the remote
does NOT look like a Micro USB slot, which usually has two angled corners preventing it from being mis-inserted. The remote has a more square opening. The cable only goes in one way and is totally non-apparent..........You have to look closely at the remote and cable to figure out which way to insert it..........Very strange.......I assume the remote will take the micro USB charging cable, but I want to obtain a OTG cable for connecting to my Galaxy S7 android and am really wondering if a Double ended micro USB cable would work.
My phone has the typical micro USB slot (2 angled corners)........Any reason why the remote is non typical ? It is surely confusing
2018-1-20
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, DJI did a strange thing and put a Micro A B port in there, it does not have the shaved off corners like a normal micro usb plug

The tongue is at the bottom half of the Micro AB port so you just need to be careful and align this with the micro usb plug which means it needs to be orientated with the widest section of the plug  at the bottom and the angle corners at the top.

A few people have forced it in upside down and broken the tab off in the AB port.
It's also a very loose fit

I have used a micro usb to micro usb cable with the controller and a tablet and it has worked, the other thing you can do is get an adaptor

micro usb adapter - Copy.jpg
2018-1-20
Use props
fans85ddee6e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28973 ft
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-1-20 19:56
Yes, DJI did a strange thing and put a Micro A B port in there, it does not have the shaved off corners like a normal micro usb plug

The tongue is at the bottom half of the Micro AB port so you just need to be careful and align this with the micro usb plug which means it needs to be orientated with the widest section of the plug  at the bottom and the angle corners at the top.

Yes micro usb is what comes with it to charge i up so yes micro to micro usb would work
2018-1-20
Use props
fans85ddee6e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28973 ft
United States

Yes micro to micro will work,
2018-1-20
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

I have read the previous responses about the OTG cable...but...
I just purchased a Spark from SAMS Club. It is NOT the Fly more package.  It came with the RC, 2 batteries, charger and cable as well as,  2 cables.
These other cables are short with 90 degree connectors on one end.
I assume one will work as the link between the RC and my Galaxy S4, Android phone.
However I cannot seem to get it to work.
Am I doing this wrong?
I can link everything through the WiFi, fine.
I then try turning off the WiFi, on the phone, so I can just link through the cable...when I do this, the green light stays on (the RC) which lets me know it is linked with the Spark, however I lose the picture from the Spark. If I leave the WiFi on, the image is delayed by several seconds. This is with the units just sitting on the table 10" from each other. Not in flight.
What am I doing wrong?
The Cable I'm using is (came with the package) Micro USB at both ends. Or at least it seems to be Micro USB at the straight end as it fits the RC, but looks a little more rectangular. the other end (90 degree) is definately Micro USB. As stated before, I'm being carefull to insert it with the blade at the bottom.
2018-11-13
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

I have read the previous responses about the OTG cable...but...
I just purchased a Spark from SAMS Club. It is NOT the Fly more package.  It came with the RC, 2 batteries, charger and cable as well as,  2 cables.
These other cables are short with 90 degree connectors on one end.
I assume one will work as the link between the RC and my Galaxy S4, Android phone.
However I cannot seem to get it to work.
Am I doing this wrong?
I can link everything through the WiFi, fine.
I then try turning off the WiFi, on the phone, so I can just link through the cable...when I do this, the green light stays on (the RC) which lets me know it is linked with the Spark, however I lose the picture from the Spark. If I leave the WiFi on, the image is delayed by several seconds. This is with the units just sitting on the table 10" from each other. Not in flight.
What am I doing wrong?
The Cable I'm using is (came with the package) Micro USB at both ends. Or at least it seems to be Micro USB at the straight end as it fits the RC, but looks a little more rectangular. the other end (90 degree) is definitely Micro USB. As stated before, I'm being careful to insert it with the blade at the bottom.
2018-11-13
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hi,

OTG cables with micro USB at both ends don't have similar end internal connections, despite that the connector looks the same. Try to reverse the connection.
Cheers
2018-11-16
Use props
Marce jury
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6962 ft
Argentina

I need to replace connector in my spark controller... cannot send to dji ... can solder smd myself... since here cannot find micro AB female but can grab one b type... will it work with otg the same way that original AB type?
2018-12-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Marce jury Posted at 12-5 04:39
I need to replace connector in my spark controller... cannot send to dji ... can solder smd myself... since here cannot find micro AB female but can grab one b type... will it work with otg the same way that original AB type?

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. You mean the port on your remote controller is broken or you wanted to replace the connector on your RC? We're not recommending our customer to fix the unit on their end due to that the warranty may be voided. Please keep us posted on for further help.
2018-12-5
Use props
Robert Power
New

Hong Kong

Why is this controller so difficult? So I have the micro usb connected to the controller, now how do I connect it to the power? The plug provided is for charging the drone and is normal USB size? Any help? Thanks
2019-4-10
Use props
Robert Power
New

Hong Kong

Robert Power Posted at 4-10 06:04
Why is this controller so difficult? So I have the micro usb connected to the controller, now how do I connect it to the power? The plug provided is for charging the drone and is normal USB size? Any help? Thanks

2019-4-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Not sure I did understand your question.
The plug in the remote is there for 2 reasons:  Charge it with any USB power source via a USB-A/ micro/ USB-C/...  to micro USB-B connected cable from source to remote
And to connect it to the (Droid) Phone via micro USB A or B (remote side) to whatever the phone needs (Micro-B/USB-C/ even lightning for iOS)
Since OTG is directional, it is helpful, to have a USB cable for the phone that has a micro USB A on the controller side.

2019-4-10
Use props
Robert Power
New

Hong Kong

Hi Seven, thanks for your reply. Sorry for the confusion. How do I charge the remote? I can plug the wires into the remote without any problem. But attaching the other end to the electrical power is where I have the problem. I don’t have a connection small enough to plug into, only a normal size usb plug which can charge the actual drone.
2019-4-10
Use props
Flying_Jim
New
United States

From My findings the details of the Spark Controller USB plug is "USB 2.0 Micro-B 5 pin"
2019-6-13
Use props
Flying_Jim
New
United States

2019-6-13
Use props
Flying_Jim
New
United States

From my findings the details of the Spark Controller USB plug is "USB 2.0 Micro-B 5 pin"
2019-6-13
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

It fits a regular "USB Micro" cable. I don't know what they intended to go in there. My new phone has the "Type C" and I rather like that.
2019-6-13
Use props
sparkdrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9593 ft
United States

Yes it's confusing but it's probably normal
2019-6-14
Use props
fans2fc9681e
lvl.1

United States

sparkdrone Posted at 2019-6-14 11:11
Yes it's confusing but it's probably normal

Okay, let's try this question. I need to get an OTG cable that has a 90° plug going into the Spark Controller AND a STRAIGHT plug that inserts into the iPhone 12. My iPhone has a protective case on it that makes a 90° plug NOT cooperate with the iPhone jack. Any ideas? This entire plug issue is a ball buster. Happy New Year and thanks!
1-4 08:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules