What happens if.......?(Solved)
1278 9 2015-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

I have thought about this for some time but don't have the answer and not game to try it.

Forget about the likelyhood of it happening but say if this happened what do you expect would happen or better still what does happen?

You have established Home Point (adequate satellites)..... You fly off and for whatever reason you lose both GPS coverage and connection with Tx.

Lose GPS only and it hovers where it is, yes? but if you lose Tx or switch to Failsafe as well?

Have I missed something here (very possible) but I don't see the Phantom knowing what to do.

I hope I have missed something because life is much easier when wrong and another shows you the light. I have been reluctant to pose this question because it seems so simple to over look but HELP!!

Yug

2015-4-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I think if you lost GPS and TX connection, you would just hover in place until the critical battery level, then it would lose altitude slowly until it ran out of power or landed.
2015-4-23
Use props
rod.And.The.Che
Second Officer

New Zealand

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-24 14:26
I think if you lost GPS and TX connection, you would just hover in place until the critical battery  ...

Hi Gerry, Guy,
great question. what about an answer from DJI??--Ed ??

Rod and the cheshire cat.
2015-4-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod.And.The.Che Posted at 2015-4-24 14:31
Hi Gerry, Guy,
great question. what about an answer from DJI??--Ed ??

Hi Rod,  how's the forestry videoing going?
2015-4-23
Use props
rod.And.The.Che
Second Officer

New Zealand

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-24 14:32
Hi Rod,  how's the forestry videoing going?

Hi Gerry,

Hopefully flying high next week.  The shots are altitude shots with graphic overlays to show safety zones around machinery, aerial shots of forest harvesting, and an aerial tracking shot of a logging truck traversing forestry tracks.  Challenging stuff but I am looking forward to it.

I have also been using the bird for a roof tiling safety video as well as the usual aerial real estate stills.  It is just another tool for me ,I don't fly for fun much, only when updating something. (don't get too much fun here either lately!!)

Cheers!
Rod and the cheshire cat. {:3_46:}
2015-4-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-24 14:34
Hopefully the landing option as a priority and not hover at some un-Godly height (or is it Godly H ...

The battery would trigger RTH at say 30% and head home if you had GPS, but it also has the 15% critical warning, which it is already heading home and at the 15% warning, it would go into power saver mode and slowly start to lose altitude.  You can compensate for altitude loss by raising the altitude with the stick if you could regain control..  If you had no GPS and NO TX connection, it would not know where to go because of no GPS home point, so I think it would just set there until that 15% super critical warning then slowly come down.  That's my theory anyway.
2015-4-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod.And.The.Che Posted at 2015-4-24 14:39
Hi Gerry,

Hopefully flying high next week.  The shots are altitude shots with graphic overlays to ...

We have had bad weather here to much,  Been raining or 30 mph + winds, so Gertrude and Heathcliff have both been sitting on their perches looking sad and bored.
2015-4-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

This topic has been covered many times and is explained in the manual.
With no GPS lock and no control signal the Phantom will auto-land where it is.
With GPS lock and no control signal it will return to the home point.
2015-4-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-24 15:30
Have found and understood the and but he or has eluded me in the manual. Will have to look again.

The root weevil commented on the other thread.
2015-4-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah, I would have quoted the manual, but you have corrected me before that my Vision + manual is not exactly the same as your Phantom 2 manual.
Basically without a GPS lock the failsafe is Auto-land where it is, although while it descends for landing it will be at the mercy of the wind direction, so it could drift some distance.
Personally I have never lost GPS while in flight so I have not tested this.
2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules