Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
startup/shutdown preferred sequence
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

On the Inspire 2, what should be the preferred STARTUP sequence of hardware as well as the SHUTDOWN?
Hardware = RC / Mobile device / Batteries / Aircraft / DJI GO 4
2018-1-21
Use props
Donnie - Apple
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would think the Inspire 2 is the same as most other RC applications. Here is what works best .

Fire up the RC transmitter first .  Go app  DEVICE ( I PAD ,ETC.) can be Powered ON  BUT the Go App should be closed at this time.

Next Fire up the Aircraft wait for the AC to go through the camera dance etc, give it time to initialize .

Now last open the Go app and wait for it to open complete .  

After the mission .

Turn off the AC first.

Next Turn off the RC  Transmitter .

The Go App should now be closed and then Power off the Go App  device ( I pad , etc )

This is the best way in my opinion.  The above will be sure to lock any changes made to the Go App  as most of the settings are actually locked on the AIRCRAFT and NOT on the go app itself .

Hope this helps.

donnie
2018-1-21
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

Donnie - Apple  Posted at 2018-1-21 13:22
I would think the Inspire 2 is the same as most other RC applications. Here is what works best .

Fire up the RC transmitter first .  Go app  DEVICE ( I PAD ,ETC.) can be Powered ON  BUT the Go App should be closed at this time.

thank you Donnie for responding, this confirms my thoughts as to correct sequence of events.
2018-1-22
Use props
Donnie - Apple
Captain
United States

inspirelwdd Posted at 2018-1-22 03:43
thank you Donnie for responding, this confirms my thoughts as to correct sequence of events.

I have NEVER had any issues with my system firing it up and off in the above post sequence.

I think if you do it this way too,  you won't have any issues .
"this confirms my thoughts as to correct sequence of events.."

Great minds think alike !!
donnie

2018-1-22
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

Also best to make sure the tablet is in airplane mode before you start the Go4 App.  
You don't want wifi or cellular interference and you don't want the app to attempt to do firmware updates while you are at the flying site.
2018-1-30
Use props
inspirelwdd
lvl.1

United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-1-30 08:55
Also best to make sure the tablet is in airplane mode before you start the Go4 App.  
You don't want wifi or cellular interference and you don't want the app to attempt to do firmware updates while you are at the flying site.

Interesting response because many do say that you don't want interference when flying. I've watched many fly with a cellphone in their back pocket. That doesn't make it right though.

However, isn't this a Catch22 situation? My iPad Pro has a cellular connection we find valuable when starting a flight near an airport and going through the DJI agree dance and getting a code to unlock so we can take off etc. Having that  cellular access on the iPad we've found very valuable. If I put the tablet in airplane mode, then my partner and I are relying on a cellular phone to get an unlock code to fly?? Our government district covers 265 sq miles and a Class C and (2) Class D airports
2018-1-30
Use props
TruGreen
Captain
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly both my Mavic and Inspire with Wifi only tablets, and turn on the hotspot on my phone for data, have had zero issues
2018-1-30
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

In the UK we are required in law to turn off all cellular devices anywhere near (within say 200 meters) of an R/C transmitter.  Carrying an active mobile phone in your back pocket, near to someone operating a drone, would be deemed irresponsible and culpable behaviour in UK law.  Many times, R/C models have crashed when a cellphone signal swamps the signal from the R/C transmitter.  It happened to me, I lost a beautiful scale r/c helicopter when another club member's cellphone rang.   He was standing next to me.  It's one of the reasons we have to "control" any spectators in the vicinity, ensure mobile phones turned off among other things.  This requirement must be part of the operations procedure for commercial drone use in the UK.

I'd be surprised if it is not law in the USA also, maybe other commercial operators in USA can comment?

Anyway it's a known problem, ignore this, and it's your loss and risk when you crash.
2018-2-6
Use props
Donnie - Apple 0
Captain
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-2-6 06:38
In the UK we are required in law to turn off all cellular devices anywhere near (within say 200 meters) of an R/C transmitter.  Carrying an active mobile phone in your back pocket, near to someone operating a drone, would be deemed irresponsible and culpable behaviour in UK law.  Many times, R/C models have crashed when a cellphone signal swamps the signal from the R/C transmitter.  It happened to me, I lost a beautiful scale r/c helicopter when another club member's cellphone rang.   He was standing next to me.  It's one of the reasons we have to "control" any spectators in the vicinity, ensure mobile phones turned off among other things.  This requirement must be part of the operations procedure for commercial drone use in the UK.

I'd be surprised if it is not law in the USA also, maybe other commercial operators in USA can comment?

Strange , I have spoken on my cellphone while flying and even received  incoming calls  ( my cell phone onemy person rang ) .  Are you sure the cell phone ringing was the cause and not just serendipity ?  I am sorry for the loss of the RC helicopter that sucks, just trying to understand why that happened.  Are signal for RC different in the UK as opposed to the USA ?  I also have a Trackimo device  ( GPS tracking device )  mounted on my AC and that uses my smart phone  for tracking and occasionally will check the data on my cell phone to make sure it is working properly .( The point is my cell phone is in close proximity to me when flying , not all the time just sometimes and definitely within 200 meters )
I am not a commercial operator by any menas, been flying for 30 years and have only  crashed as the result of battery failure or dumb thumbs , (usually just dumb donnie !)

Interesting

donnie
2018-2-6
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

The cellphone interference is not propagated via radio receiver or transmitter, but instead couples directly (like interference from lightning) to computer devices and programmable memories and may cause the memories in programmable transmitters and receiving equipment (e.g. the computer controlled Inspire 2) to be altered or erased.

There is a long thread here that may provide further relevant information:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... lphone-interference

Also the following press release from Multiplex following the crash of a turbine helicopter caused by Cellphone interference:

"MULTIPLEX Press Release
December 2004

Dear all,

MULTIPLEX is extremely sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident involving the gas-turbine helicopter in early October 2004. An immediate investigation was launched to ascertain the cause. We have also taken into consideration the BMFA Safety Bulletin No 6 relating to the use of mobile telephones in proximity to electronically programmed transmitters.

The UKRCC (earlier JRCUC) has reported there may be a problem associated with operating mobile telephones in close proximity of programmable transmitters causing memories to be partly or fully erased. This problem has yet to be scientifically substantiated, however, it is generally known that RF radiation can disable or permanently damage some modern electronic devices.

Although the risk may be small, we believe it should be minimised by bringing to the attention of RC pilots and clubs that pending resolution, we recommend that mobile telephones are not switched on within 10 feet of any programmable transmitter. This may appear to be ‘overkill’, but better safe than sorry. Care should be taken during pre-flight checks to ensure that all controls are operating effectively in their correct sense and to ensure that the memory has not been affected by any undetected or unknown transmission since the last flight.

The UKRCC (earlier JRCUC) pointed out that the International limit for radio control RF transmissions is restricted to 100 mW, this means that mobile telephone transmissions could be up to 30 times more powerful. Civil aircraft and hospitals etc. request all mobile telephones or similar electronic devices are turned off, and these are the reasons why MULTIPLEX points out in instruction manuals, particularly in the latest issue for the Royal evo, ‘Do not operate mobile phones within 2 meters (6 ft 8") of the transmitter’.

Care must also be exercised when modifying brands of radio equipment. The essential range test procedure, as clearly stated in every MULTIPLEX instruction manual, must be carried out. In extreme cases the manufacturer's warranty could be invalidated together with insurance.
Flair Products and MULTIPLEX dealers have been informed and are pleased to answer any questions.

The MULTIPLEX Team wishes you safe flying, but we need your assistance to make flying even safer!"

2018-2-6
Use props
fansd845e849
First Officer
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

For me it's aircraft on and off first. Radio comes last always. Then the app.
2018-2-7
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

There's no law saying you must turn off your cellphone when flying in the uk & never has been. In fact with the I2 there is an option for control via 4G networks, although it's not mentioned very often.

There is little chance of interference between the mobile phone gsm channels in use in the uk these days and the 2.4/5.8GHz bands used by the I2 and other DJI drones. Your model aircraft use a different band altogether, and that is probably more prone to interference from earlier generation phones and  gsm networks. In the early days of mobiles, you'd often be able to hear an incoming call 'handshaking' on your car radio or computer speakers before the phone started ringing, or occasionally it would put wavy lines on the crt tv . Proper shielding of components, screening and use of ferrite rings on cables takes care of interference nowadays.

These days you're  more likely to get interference or problems from microwaves, wireless doorbells, garage remotes, or Wifi routers than from a phone with drones using the 2.4/5.8GHz bands. Even then the interference is lessened by the rc and aircraft using channel hoping to constantly swap channels. Encoding and error checking of the C2 and telemetry signals is different to that of model aircraft, and again lessens the effects of interference.

As to startup sequences, always remote first.  After that it doesn't really matter if your fire up the aircraft or the app. seems to work a touch better if you do App, then aircraft, but both work happily. So long as your remote is on first, you've a slight chance of controlling or shutting down the aircraft if it goes nuts when it's powered up ;)
2018-2-7
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Electro-Nick Posted at 2018-2-7 07:50
There's no law saying you must turn off your cellphone when flying in the uk & never has been. In fact with the I2 there is an option for control via 4G networks, although it's not mentioned very often.

There is little chance of interference between the mobile phone gsm channels in use in the uk these days and the 2.4/5.8GHz bands used by the I2 and other DJI drones. Your model aircraft use a different band altogether, and that is probably more prone to interference from earlier generation phones and  gsm networks. In the early days of mobiles, you'd often be able to hear an incoming call 'handshaking' on your car radio or computer speakers before the phone started ringing, or occasionally it would put wavy lines on the crt tv  . Proper shielding of components, screening and use of ferrite rings on cables takes care of interference nowadays.

I run my iPad Air 2 with cell and wi fi on all the time and never gave me an issue related to interference except recent issues caused by the app putting that warning on the screen constantly, whis=ch is when I put it in airplane mode with no change. only time cell is off on the ipad is when I'm out of the country and then the wifi is anyway. As to the controlling the I2 with 46 network, I believe that is a whole lot of blah blah as the advertising for such feature also has a disclaimer that insinuates that you have to write your own code to make it work. Walkera also advertises the feature with the same disclamer on their Voyager 2 ads.
2018-2-7
Use props
Donnie - Apple 0
Captain
United States

Electro-Nick Posted at 2018-2-7 07:50

There is little chance of interference between the mobile phone gsm channels in use in the uk these days and the 2.4/5.8GHz bands used by the I2 and other DJI drones. Your model aircraft use a different band altogether, and that is probably more prone to interference from earlier generation phones and  gsm networks. In the early days of mobiles, you'd often be able to hear an incoming call 'handshaking' on your car radio or computer speakers before the phone started ringing, or occasionally it would put wavy lines on the crt tv  . Proper shielding of components, screening and use of ferrite rings on cables takes care of interference nowadays.

Are you sure the 4 g network is now available for the Inspire 2 ?  I have been waiting for that to be a reality . I had thought it was on hold but if you have some more information I would love to see it .

thanks

donnie
2018-2-7
Use props
Donnie - Apple 0
Captain
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-2-7 09:53
I run my iPad Air 2 with cell and wi fi on all the time and never gave me an issue related to interference except recent issues caused by the app putting that warning on the screen constantly, whis=ch is when I put it in airplane mode with no change. only time cell is off on the ipad is when I'm out of the country and then the wifi is anyway. As to the controlling the I2 with 46 network, I believe that is a whole lot of blah blah as the advertising for such feature also has a disclaimer that insinuates that you have to write your own code to make it work. Walkera also advertises the feature with the same disclamer on their Voyager 2 ads.

Do you have any reference regarding the 4g dongle for the DJI inspire 2.  I thought that was on hold. If you can get me any link on that I would appreciate it.

donnie
2018-2-7
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
United Kingdom

There was a chap on here & on another forum that managed to do it last year I believei & yes it was with  doing their own code. I don't know how or where he got the hardware for it. Think he was based between china & Europe. Haven't  come across anything from him for a while tho'.
2018-2-7
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Donnie, not too sure, but you might need to go through enterprise & developer stuff to get the info you want.
2018-2-7
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Electro-Nick Posted at 2018-2-7 11:44
Donnie, not too sure, but you might need to go through enterprise & developer stuff to get the info you want.

All I know is that it is NOT going to be a plug and play option not for a long time.
2018-2-7
Use props
fans23bbe543
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2064616 ft
United States

fansd845e849 Posted at 2018-2-7 02:03
For me it's aircraft on and off first. Radio comes last always. Then the app.

Yes, I concur. I am a Inspire 2 pilot. 90 percent of my flying is over water or over 90 foot pine trees. So yes, I agree with second officer. After in a space of 6 months smashing 2 Inspires, and having repaired copy machines for 33 years and being crowned as the head trouble shooter I learned a long time ago that you can’t always go by the tech rmanuals. Sometimes tech manuals have to be rewritten.
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules