Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in Austria
33592 64 2018-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

FXF Posted at 1-22 05:04
...indeed - because we do not have kangaroos here

Yoy refering to this?

But are you sure?

https://www.google.com/maps/plac ... .183268!4d16.302837
2018-11-10
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

FXF Posted at 1-22 05:04

But you do have edelweiss.
2018-11-10
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

S-e-ven Posted at 11-10 05:07
And wasn't that for the mavic about max 14 m height?

Just: That is for a drone with just up/down movement.

Hi Seven,

Yeah, since a Mavic has more weight, you need to fly lower.
The regulation is anyway ridiculous, there's so many factors not taken into account, not only horizontal speed :-)

I seriously hope for new EASA regulations. It simply can only improve IMHO.

Chers,
Wolferl
2018-11-11
Use props
djiuser_uYrL3AcQxYoO
New
Austria

hi guys,

more or less, austrian pilot here )

yes ... drone flying in austria can get very confusing ... but not regarding shooting/saving/sharing vids/pics ... when you want to do this legally, get in contact with austrocontrol.at ... there is NO way around that.
if you want to do this illegally ... same risks as with helmet-cams on the streets ... potential fines of up to ~20 THOUSAND € |

cheers,
Joe
2018-12-26
Use props
Karl Aaron King
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi I'm not sure how old this post is but this is very useful to know for most countries. In Austria you can fly the DJI mavic pro without a licence if you fly lower than 10m because it's less than the 79joules rule.
2019-1-23
Use props
XhakaLacca Boom

United Kingdom

Hi. Heading to Austria myself next month. Wasn't planning on using it on the ski resort, but more outside quiet scenery shots

Interesting posts in the thread. Has anyone been fined or caught for not having a license in Austria? 300 euro a year is a joke especially for people just going on holiday
2019-2-10
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

XhakaLacca Boom Posted at 2-10 12:48
Hi. Heading to Austria myself next month. Wasn't planning on using it on the ski resort, but more outside quiet scenery shots

Interesting posts in the thread. Has anyone been fined or caught for not having a license in Austria? 300 euro a year is a joke especially for people just going on holiday

Hi,

If you want to be totally legal, you'll have to obey a maximum altitide of 26m above ground (for the Spark), due to the 79 Joule rule.
Practically, as long as you don't bother any people, you won't have a problem. Stay below 150m AGL. Watch out for paragliders and rescue helicopters.
Only thing you really need to observe are National Parks. Absolutely no flying there. They have park rangers patrolling (my dad was one of them before he retired), so don't do that.
Can you tell more exactly where are you going to stay? Then I can tell if you are in a protected area or not.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-11
Use props
XhakaLacca Boom

United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 2-11 01:29
Hi,

If you want to be totally legal, you'll have to obey a maximum altitide of 26m above ground (for the Spark), due to the 79 Joule rule.

Thanks. I have the mavic air rather than the spark. Its heavier but do you think still ok to fly at low heights?
2019-2-11
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

XhakaLacca Boom Posted at 2-11 11:19
Thanks. I have the mavic air rather than the spark. Its heavier but do you think still ok to fly at low heights?

I think it's OK to fly a Mavic. Simply try to not bother other people and obey protected airspaces like National Parks.

Enjoy your stay in Austria!

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-12
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

Folks, I have an idea! Skip Austria and go to Switzerland instead. Beautiful mountains, great skiing, decent drone regulations and NO CHARGE! Have fun!
2019-2-12
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

fans812df717 Posted at 2-12 09:28
Folks, I have an idea! Skip Austria and go to Switzerland instead. Beautiful mountains, great skiing, decent drone regulations and NO CHARGE! Have fun!

Yeah, but, I think you have no idea about how expensive Switzerland is...

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

FXF Posted at 2018-1-22 05:04

Pretty much sure I've seen a couple at Tiergarten Schönbrunn.
2019-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

Wolferl Posted at 2018-11-10 04:26
Hi folks,

the often told 250 or 300 grams rule to be classified as a toy in Austria isn't really the whole truth.

Ooooohhhh..... pretty bad physics there.
I mean, these formulas are for vacuum and Spark and generally any other drone can NOT fly in vacuum.
They flight in fluid.... called air which is a mixture of couple of gases.
That being said there is drag coefficient, buoyancy etc... that defines so called terminal velocity of something falling in the air.
2019-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

fans812df717 Posted at 2-12 09:28

Except it's about twice as expensive as Austria so that 300 euro permit now looks acceptable, lol.
2019-2-12
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-12 11:44
Ooooohhhh..... pretty bad physics there.
I mean, these formulas are for vacuum and Spark and generally any other drone can NOT fly in vacuum.
They flight in fluid.... called air which is a mixture of couple of gases.

Hi,

Its not about real physics. That's AustroControls idea about physics...something totally different.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

Wolferl Posted at 2-13 01:18
Hi,

Its not about real physics. That's AustroControls idea about physics...something totally different.

Ah.... government and science.... been there, seen that...
2019-2-13
Use props
XhakaLacca Boom

United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 2-12 00:36
I think it's OK to fly a Mavic. Simply try to not bother other people and obey protected airspaces like National Parks.

Enjoy your stay in Austria!

Thanks for the reply
2019-2-13
Use props
kuchura_d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 398917 ft
Ukraine

Has anyone encountered problems related to inspection baggage with drone at the airport?
2019-2-15
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

TudorD Posted at 2018-1-22 02:44
Austria is not Australia

Stop, what?! Aren't there any kangaroos in Austria? And what we shoud shoot there in this case?
2019-2-15
Use props
mbektas7
lvl.1

Turkey

kuchura_d Posted at 2-15 07:37
Has anyone encountered problems related to inspection baggage with drone at the airport?

Hi, Did you get any feedback about this topic?  I want to travel Austria but I'm curious about the problem in airpot. If the officers control my luggages.. I dont have licence in austria and my drone is mavic pro. Actually I will go to switzerland from austria and  will fly on the mountains..
2019-5-25
Use props
mbektas7
lvl.1

Turkey

Has anyone encountered problems related to inspection baggage with drone at the airport in Austria? thanks.
2019-5-25
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

mbektas7 Posted at 5-25 23:06
Hi, Did you get any feedback about this topic?  I want to travel Austria but I'm curious about the problem in airpot. If the officers control my luggages.. I dont have licence in austria and my drone is mavic pro. Actually I will go to switzerland from austria and  will fly on the mountains..

Hi,

You won't have any problems bringing a drone to Austria. Security and Police officers aren't corrupt here.
From a customs view of perspective, as with any type of goods with a certain value, it would be wise to carry the thing's bill with you.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-5-26
Use props
mbektas7
lvl.1

Turkey

Wolferl Posted at 5-26 00:46
Hi,

You won't have any problems bringing a drone to Austria. Security and Police officers aren't corrupt here.

Thank you so much
2019-5-26
Use props
djiuser_AJuWRWrLvKGY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46 ft
Austria

Hi,
I'm visiting Austria next month and plan on flying my DJI mini 3 Pro through the forest,, while hiking through it .
Would I get in troubles if I do..
I won't fly over a protected forest or national park,just through a normal foreslott..
Thanks a lot for any advice..
Alex
2023-7-23
Use props
djiuser_AJuWRWrLvKGY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46 ft
Austria

Nikp Posted at 2018-1-21 12:21
Hi.
I’m from Austria and can confirm the drone laws are quite strict.
You have to get a license if the drone is over 300grams (which the spark is:/) this license costs around 300€ as far as I know.

Hi,is it allowed to flight through the forest?, thanks
2023-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules