Crystalsky Ultra - backlight failures
146721 146721 2018-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Papaxiclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5455981 ft
Portugal

After the initial unit got a banding problem in January, the new unit burned the backlight yesterday. So the issue still persistes.
Seems that the non ultra bright version is working better, is it correct?
2018-5-17
Use props
martinfueloep
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1551401 ft
  • >>>
Austria

My 7.85 UB burnt the backlight today. Was outside filming with the Osmo using DJI Go (NOT Go 4), and after about 20 minutes it went dark without any warning. Temperature was around 22°C and most of the time I was filming in the shade.
2018-5-20
Use props
Bill's Drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 404 ft

Mine failed just yesterday. I'm trying to get a refund as I feel it is a design flaw. Too many are going out. They are not wanting to give me a refund. Very poor customer service
2018-5-28
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Singapore

Bill's Drone Posted at 2018-5-28 12:53
Mine failed just yesterday. I'm trying to get a refund as I feel it is a design flaw. Too many are going out. They are not wanting to give me a refund. Very poor customer service

I feel the same way that it is a serious design/quality flaw in the hardware. Typical DJI will never admit such flaws (just like the Inspire 2).

They now claim to have 'fixed' the problem with the latest firmware issue which supposedly fixes temperature management in high ambient temperature conditions. Personally I call BS because many failings of the UB unit happened in cold to very cold ambient conditions.

Let's say that the new firmware does fix the problem (I highly doubt it) but how about all the earlier adopters of the CS UB that have been lucky enough not to suffer a backlight failure yet? The old firmwares have obviously stressed the backlight and therefore shortened it's operational life! My bet is my unit will get just the wrong side of warranty and then fail. If it does then I'll be really upset. Coupled with the disaster that is the Inspire 2 I'm feeling pretty grieved over the whole DJI experience.
2018-5-29
Use props
Bill's Drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 404 ft

dan_vector Posted at 2018-5-29 02:12
I feel the same way that it is a serious design/quality flaw in the hardware. Typical DJI will never admit such flaws (just like the Inspire 2).

They now claim to have 'fixed' the problem with the latest firmware issue which supposedly fixes temperature management in high ambient temperature conditions. Personally I call BS because many failings of the UB unit happened in cold to very cold ambient conditions.

My thoughts exactly. It's not like we only gave $200 for these. For a $1000, i want to know it will last for years.
2018-6-1
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Thailand

Bill's Drone Posted at 2018-6-1 04:57
My thoughts exactly. It's not like we only gave $200 for these. For a $1000, i want to know it will last for years.

Can you hear it? More DJI silence.....
2018-6-1
Use props
fans0503ad79
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40896 ft
  • >>>
United States

dan_vector Posted at 2018-6-1 09:00
Can you hear it? More DJI silence.....

I bought two Ultras. One burned out almost immediately, and was replaced. It took weeks for the replacement. Then the other burned out, and within an hour, the replaced screen went too. I also have two regular Crystalsky screens, and they are trouble free.

Love the Ultras for their visibility, that's the whole point, but clearly there are serious issues. A 100% failure rate is not good.
2018-6-6
Use props
fans66488b86
lvl.4
Flight distance : 728235 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did the new software fix this issue with screens going out?? This is crazy to hear about this in this day and age of mobile devices
2018-6-14
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>

fans66488b86 Posted at 2018-6-14 03:45
Did the new software fix this issue with screens going out?? This is crazy to hear about this in this day and age of mobile devices

Hi Mate.
I too have burnt out 1 x 5.5 and 2 ultras.
The last time the Ultra went the just replaced the guts.
Since the last 2 updates it’s been running well.
I’ve been babying my Cs
For the last 2 months I have not.
I know fly with almost full bright screen & HD Cashe running.
Today 25c deg in full sun the fan came on!
The unit didn’t even feel hot in the normal spots.. top left of screen & hdmi slot.
They maybe on to something
Fingers crossed
Marty
2018-6-14
Use props
fans7109b995
lvl.1
Flight distance : 932822 ft
Belgium

Mine overheating since the DJI Go App 4.1.18 , since today right at start I have right corner blacklight issue, sometimes freeze,  
2018-6-15
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

fans7109b995 Posted at 2018-6-15 12:34
Mine overheating since the DJI Go App 4.1.18 , since today right at start I have right corner blacklight issue, sometimes freeze,

I am absolutely convinced that this is down to very poor quality hardware and that DJI are trying in vain to cover it up with firmware changes to try to keep the CS cooler but I clearly isn't working.

Ultimately the ultra bright is supposed to be used in very bright direct sunlight. Having to shade the unit in fear of the screen failing is completely defeating the object.

I'm sick and tired of DJIs incompetence and complete lack of customer empathy. I wish they would just admit their failings across their products (Inspire 2 instability and shocking quality and Crystal Sky UB are my main concerns) and ultimately FIX THE HARDWARE ISSUES!!!

They can't even put out a tested and stable firmware release on ANY of their devices.
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry for the late response. It is recommended to send the unit back for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support The designated team will check and diagnosis once they received the unit.
If you encounter any issues during the repair progress, do not hesitate to contact us. Again, we sincerely apologize for all inconvenience.

Our engineers are aware of this issue and will keep optimizing in the firmware update. Please kindly upgrade the latest version when you received the notification, thanks so much!
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Forestjim Posted at 2018-1-21 20:32
Oh no.... but oh yes.!!!!
Black light gone again for the 2nd time on my CS Ultra today.
Last August I had the BL go in the 5.5.

Jim, may I know what's the current status? Have you received the returned unit? Does it still work well? If there is anything else we can help, please kindly advise.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

sitka_rn Posted at 2018-2-10 19:58
I ordered an UB in Aug and unit shipped mid-Nov from Adorama.  Had no problems with a few flights P4P and 1 flight with Mavic Pro after using UB for set-up and firmware updates. Put freshly charged battery in this AM ... after 15 mins incredibly hot and screen began to flash/flicker.   Tried to power off with button but no go so pulled battery.  Let sit for 8 hours... re-charged battery 100%. Screen completely black get small vibration with 1st push power button.. no beep  For almost $900... VERY unhappy.. and no one to call during weekend.

We're sorry to read your experience. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
There is an official service center in US, they will take care and help you out once the unit arrived.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans2ee5f604 Posted at 2018-2-11 16:53
Backlight failure happened to me at my maiden flight with the ultra! I bought it a week ago.  Very disappointing on the QC of Crystalsky, it doesn't look like a product from DJI!!!!!!

We understand how you feel, very sorry about it. Please kindly write an email to support@dji.com and send the unit in at your earliest convenience, the designated team will do damage assessment and offer you a proper solution.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansee00f5cc Posted at 2018-3-6 12:39
Bought my ultra Nov last year, worked on full brightness until yesterday. Went black, backlight failed, fortunately it was at the end of a long flight and overhead. Quick response from DJI, hope they can fix it for good.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Have you got the returned unit and tested the performance? We keep optimizing the temperature control logic in the firmware upgrade: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/C ... e_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
Please kindly update the firmware when you received the notification at your convenience, thanks!
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

castormalin Posted at 2018-3-7 23:13
On my first CS, the compass was not working, the device was crashing in flight after few seconds, the FPS rate was very low with DJIGo
I got as replacement a refurbished one: the compass is not working, it doesn't crash in flight, the FPS rate is the same as the first one

Just to verify, have you tried to calibrate the compass of the CS? May I have some sample videos of the low FPS? Thanks so much!
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

PilotSmith Posted at 2018-4-4 18:42
i just got one today and BANG  within 5 mins it stopped working

Smith, we're sorry for the troubles. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Samahita Posted at 2018-4-15 23:31
My CS UB worked 4 minutes... Got hot and Black.
Fan did 1st turn on after screen died.
How do one get these replaced or refunded?

I'm sorry to read this. Please kindly ask the dealer to report in dealer system or write an email to support@dji.com directly, the designated team will help you out.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

*rbh-andy* Posted at 2018-5-2 14:32
Three Days ago my Ultra Backlight blacked out also. We where flying in sunny weather around 18c, there were now sun rays shining on the display.
My CamOp got a hot temperature warning, shortly before the black out. There was no opportunity to land. In total the Crystalsky wasn‘t hot!
Now I have to handle with DJI Service Center in China, because I brought the display there, dam!

Andy, this situation has filled us with regret, we are sincerely sorry for the troubles.  May I know where is the CrystalSky now? If there is anything else we can help, please kindly offer your case number, thank you!
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

barry1 Posted at 2018-5-2 17:17
I just used my month old Crystal Sky Ultra and the backlight failed on me today. Right in the middle of my flight.

Barry, I understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in: https://www.dji.com/support The designated team will check and help you out.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Papaxiclas Posted at 2018-5-17 04:30
After the initial unit got a banding problem in January, the new unit burned the backlight yesterday. So the issue still persistes.
Seems that the non ultra bright version is working better, is it correct?

Sorry to read your comment. Please kindly start a case to send it in: https://www.dji.com/support Also, could you offer the SN of CrystalSky and case number once you sent it? We'll collect and forward to the right team for further review, thanks so much!
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

martinfueloep Posted at 2018-5-20 08:29
My 7.85 UB burnt the backlight today. Was outside filming with the Osmo using DJI Go (NOT Go 4), and after about 20 minutes it went dark without any warning. Temperature was around 22°C and most of the time I was filming in the shade.

That's unfortunate to hear. It is recommended to start a case and send in from here: https://www.dji.com/support Please kindly offer the SN of CrystalSky and case number at your earliest convenience, we'll keep follow up.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bill's Drone Posted at 2018-5-28 12:53

Bill, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and unpleasant experience. May I know how do you contact our support? Would you mind leaving your case number or contact info here? We'd like to check the exact status and keep improving our service. Appreciate your feedback.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

dan_vector Posted at 2018-5-29 02:12

Dan, may I know what's the current status of your unit? The latest firmware keeps optimizing the temperature control logic, we sincerely recommend updating to the latest and see whether it helps.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/C ... e_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans0503ad79 Posted at 2018-6-6 05:20
I bought two Ultras. One burned out almost immediately, and was replaced. It took weeks for the replacement. Then the other burned out, and within an hour, the replaced screen went too. I also have two regular Crystalsky screens, and they are trouble free.

Love the Ultras for their visibility, that's the whole point, but clearly there are serious issues. A 100% failure rate is not good.

Apologies for the inconvenience first. Could you send us the SN and case number here? We'd like to forward to the right team for further review and improvement. Thanks so much for your time.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans66488b86 Posted at 2018-6-14 03:45

The latest firmware optimized the temperature control logic, I'd recommend updating the firmware when the update message pops up.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/C ... e_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans7109b995 Posted at 2018-6-15 12:34

Sorry for this. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
Also, would you mind leaving the SN and case number here? We'll collect regularly and forward to the right team for further analysis. Thanks in advance!
2018-6-20
Use props
martinfueloep
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1551401 ft
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-20 01:34
That's unfortunate to hear. It is recommended to start a case and send in from here: https://www.dji.com/support Please kindly offer the SN of CrystalSky and case number at your earliest convenience, we'll keep follow up.

Hi Susan, I've already got it back! Thank you for you support!
2018-6-20
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-20 01:40
Dan, may I know what's the current status of your unit? The latest firmware keeps optimizing the temperature control logic, we sincerely recommend updating to the latest and see whether it helps.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/CrystalSky/20180525/CrystalSky_Release_Notes_EN_0525.pdf

My unit is at latest firmware v02.06.06.00 but I still get over heat warnings when operating in direct sunlight. If I operate in the shade I don't get the warnings but the unit remains hot to the touch. The fan does operate but it doesn't seem sufficient to keep the unit within operating tolerances. Seems like a design flaw to me at least.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

martinfueloep Posted at 2018-6-20 12:54
Hi Susan, I've already got it back! Thank you for you support!

Okay, thank you for your update, hope everything is fine. If there is anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know.
2018-6-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

dan_vector Posted at 2018-6-20 23:47
My unit is at latest firmware v02.06.06.00 but I still get over heat warnings when operating in direct sunlight. If I operate in the shade I don't get the warnings but the unit remains hot to the touch. The fan does operate but it doesn't seem sufficient to keep the unit within operating tolerances. Seems like a design flaw to me at least.

Dan, sorry to read on this, I still recommend you to refresh the firmware for the Crystalsky again, if the issue still persists, then please start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. At the same time, please provide us the case number and the SN of your Crstalsky, we'll follow up it. Thank you in advance!
2018-6-21
Use props
Scott21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1180013 ft
  • >>>

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-20 01:48
Sorry for this. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
Also, would you mind leaving the SN and case number here? We'll collect regularly and forward to the right team for further analysis. Thanks in advance!

Hi - having the same issue here.  Was using the latest firmware.  Had a sudden full backlight failure like the others here.  I have a launch unit from December 2017 - only had used it for a few hours before the backlight failed.  Susan - I have sent you the repair case and serial number of the unit per your requests above - hoping for a quick resolution.  My last warranty repair (of an Inspire 2 RC unit) took about 3 months so I am really hoping the repair process has improved dramatically since last summer.
2018-7-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

dan_vector Posted at 2018-6-20 23:47

At least you get over heat warnings.  My Cs-Ub simply stops working when it gets to hot.

Like you, I believe internal Fan(s) are inadequate.  Also believe Intake and exhaust vents are positioned incorrectly for use with DJI's R.C. quick connect/disconnect USB latch mount.  The top vent (which when used with mount) can get blocked by your body or loose clothing.
2018-7-2
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-2 22:55
At least you get over heat warnings.  My Cs-Ub simply stops working when it gets to hot.

Like you, I believe internal Fan(s) are inadequate.  Also believe Intake and exhaust vents are positioned incorrectly for use with DJI's R.C. quick connect/disconnect USB latch mount.  The top vent (which when used with mount) can get blocked by your body or loose clothing.

It’s crazy that DJI quality control continues to be this bad as well as their lack of admission to the problem and an offer of a proper fix. I strongly believe that this issue cannot be resolved with just a simple firmware update. It needs not only a better cooling solution but also a much higher quality backlight system with a higher operating temperature tolerance.
2018-7-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

dan_vector Posted at 2018-7-4 06:51
It’s crazy that DJI quality control continues to be this bad as well as their lack of admission to the problem and an offer of a proper fix. I strongly believe that this issue cannot be resolved with just a simple firmware update. It needs not only a better cooling solution but also a much higher quality backlight system with a higher operating temperature tolerance.

I strongly believe that this issue cannot be resolved with just a simple firmware update. It needs not only a better cooling solution but also a much higher quality backlight system with a higher operating temperature tolerance.

Ditto!

2018-7-4
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

It’s crazy that DJI quality control continues to be this bad as well as their lack of admission to the problem and an offer of a proper fix. I strongly believe that this issue cannot be resolved with just a simple firmware update. It needs not only a better cooling solution but also a much higher quality backlight system with a higher operating temperature tolerance.

Have been looking at your posts. I live in a far warmer environment than you and although I've not had any issues (yet?) with my UB 7.85, its clear that the unit generates more heat than the designers anticipated. I've avoided flying in direct sunlight for more than 10-15 minutes.  

I can tell you for sure that under direct sunlight with ambient temp 32 degrees, an iPad Pro also shuts down from overheating.

I do agree DJI could have done a better job with engineering for a high end product but I disagree that the problem cannot be helped by modifying firmware. There will be a compromise in video quality but anyway, that would be preferable to have a backlight failure.
2018-7-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-7-5 19:32
Have been looking at your posts. I live in a far warmer environment than you and although I've not had any issues (yet?) with my UB 7.85, its clear that the unit generates more heat than the designers anticipated. I've avoided flying in direct sunlight for more than 10-15 minutes.  

I can tell you for sure that under direct sunlight with ambient temp 32 degrees, an iPad Pro also shuts down from overheating.

The Firmware would need to double the CFM of internal cooling fan(s) - not likely unless fan(s) have been running on low-medium speed since CrystalSky was introduced.
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Scott21 Posted at 2018-7-2 17:48
Hi - having the same issue here.  Was using the latest firmware.  Had a sudden full backlight failure like the others here.  I have a launch unit from December 2017 - only had used it for a few hours before the backlight failed.  Susan - I have sent you the repair case and serial number of the unit per your requests above - hoping for a quick resolution.  My last warranty repair (of an Inspire 2 RC unit) took about 3 months so I am really hoping the repair process has improved dramatically since last summer.

Received with thanks! Pre the tracking number, the package is still on the way. The local team will take it as the priority once the unit arrived.
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It’s crazy that DJI quality control continues to be this bad as well as their lack of admission to the problem and an offer of a proper fix. I strongly believe that this issue cannot be resolved with just a simple firmware update. It needs not only a better cooling solution but also a much higher quality backlight system with a higher operating temperature tolerance.

Dan, I understand your point, this will be forwarded to our engineers for further review. Currently, it is still recommended to use the sunshade to protect the CS from direct sunshine for a long time, thanks!
2018-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules