Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crystalsky Ultra - backlight failures
11091 92 2018-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dan_vector
First Officer
Flight distance : 613753 ft
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-7-5 19:32
Have been looking at your posts. I live in a far warmer environment than you and although I've not had any issues (yet?) with my UB 7.85, its clear that the unit generates more heat than the designers anticipated. I've avoided flying in direct sunlight for more than 10-15 minutes.  

I can tell you for sure that under direct sunlight with ambient temp 32 degrees, an iPad Pro also shuts down from overheating.

Not really. I live in Muscat, Oman in the Middle East and so experience significant temperatures as well (right now I am in the UK on leave - even here we have 30c temperatures at the moment).

There is a big different in design goals of an iPad and a Crystal Sky UB. Basically an iPad was never designed to work/function in direct sunlight and high temperatures for extended periods. I believe the Crystal Sky UB was supposed to be designed to operate in EXTREMES of both temperature and direct sunlight otherwise why would you bother to spend the extra of the UB unit if you are going to operate away from the sun?

Besides that I’ve never had my iPad shutdown due to an overheat issue. My iPhone has once when I left it on the dashboard of my car once!

So yes, in my opinion the hardware quality and tolerances are not in line with the units intended design use.
2018-7-6
Use props
Finder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1180013 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-5 23:29
Received with thanks! Pre the tracking number, the package is still on the way. The local team will take it as the priority once the unit arrived.

Thanks!  Looks like it arrived at the repair facility.  I am going out of town (shooting on location) shortly and would really like to take it with me, so if you have any way to expidite the return of the unit when fixed (or a replacement) it would be super helpful.  I was getting everything tested for the trip when the backlight failed and would rather not have to resort to using an iPad with my Cendence.  Thanks!
2018-7-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Finder Posted at 2018-7-10 20:47
Thanks!  Looks like it arrived at the repair facility.  I am going out of town (shooting on location) shortly and would really like to take it with me, so if you have any way to expidite the return of the unit when fixed (or a replacement) it would be super helpful.  I was getting everything tested for the trip when the backlight failed and would rather not have to resort to using an iPad with my Cendence.  Thanks!

Sorry for the late response. Pre the case log, the unit has been replaced and ready for shipping. The email will be sent to you soon, please keep an eye on the status later, thanks!
2018-7-16
Use props
Bill's Drone
Flight distance : 404 ft
United States

I think there are enough of us for some Class Action litigation. They refuse to refund and send out refurb units as replacement. When I spend $1000, i do not expect this level of problem and this sour of customer service. I think Class Action would not only get us our refunds, but also punitive and attorney fees.  Who's interested?
2018-7-23
Use props
JD Simpson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2201050 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having the same issue with my CS UB overheating and screen going to black (blank).  I have sent the unit in for repair now 3 times.  Just got it back last Thursday and the repaired CS UB went to black screen just like all the other times.  Not sure what to do now.  My Inspire 2 was in the air when the CS failed but I was able to land with no problem since the drone was only a 1000 ft from home location and I could see the drone.  I am now almost afraid to use the CS with my Inspire or my M210.   
2018-8-13
Use props
fans1efd03e4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73835 ft
United States

I am in the process of purchasing the CrystalSky Ultra but I am concerned about all of the issues regarding heat and  failure of the units.   Is this pervasive with all of the units or is this something that has only happened with earlier units.  Does anyone have any experience with the more current shipments?    I live in the North  East so I am not in extreme heat but do want to travel with the unit.   Should I abandon this purchase and go with the CrystalSky High or just not go down this road.

Given I only have 14 days to return the unit I thought I would just run it continuously in the house to see how it holds up.

Thoughts
2018-10-15
Use props
jcameron
lvl.1

Australia

I have had 2 failures now, first lasted 5 minutes, second one less than an hour. Still waiting for replacement. It seriously stuffed my holiday plans. Have completely lost confidence in the product. Can’t find info as to DJI’s resolution to the problem, the dealer claims not a common problem, posts here refute this. NOT HAPPY.
2018-10-22
Use props
Forestjim
Captain
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jcameron Posted at 2018-10-22 15:12
I have had 2 failures now, first lasted 5 minutes, second one less than an hour. Still waiting for replacement. It seriously stuffed my holiday plans. Have completely lost confidence in the product. Can’t find info as to DJI’s resolution to the problem, the dealer claims not a common problem, posts here refute this. NOT HAPPY.

Hi CJ,

Mate... I'm sort of in the same boat as you.

I've had 3 fails ( 1 5.5 & 2 7.85 Ultra Bright.)
The last time the ultra fried they repaired it ( previously Dji Aust replaced for new stock from the same batch). They repaired unit & has been going fine since Feb.
I've always been mindful of the unit overheating and I kept the unit in manual brightness no more than 50%.
After the last couple of updates, I can hear the fan coming on my often.
I don't baby the CS anymore.
Fingers crossed because Summer is coming.
Good luck

PS. Tell your dealer  He's Dreamin" lol
2018-10-22
Use props
Josh Cagle
New

United States

My backlight went out today, Second Ultra bright screen I've had now..
Garbage
2018-10-26
Use props
Aimbraguglio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73835 ft
United States

I did not have heat issues but lots of lost frames and freezing for seconds.   I ended up going with the iPhone X’s MAX which is awesome and is easy to see on a bright day.   Given the drone is so portable it only makes sense to keep it simple.   Setting up the crystal sky was time consuming
2018-10-26
Use props
fans77991c38
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1970633 ft
Australia

Aimbraguglio Posted at 10-26 13:44
I did not have heat issues but lots of lost frames and freezing for seconds.   I ended up going with the iPhone X’s MAX which is awesome and is easy to see on a bright day.   Given the drone is so portable it only makes sense to keep it simple.   Setting up the crystal sky was time consuming

Hi

Have these screens improved lately? My Ultrabright, which was last repaired in January,  failed again
yesterday having had very little use over the year. Not sure I really want it replaced if they haven't improved significantly.

2018-11-15
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK... so it happened to me... and DJI's reply is wholly inadequate.

Let me start off by saying I have over $10,000 in DJI equipment - to illustrate that I like your products (for the most part) and stand by you in arguments, as I have had cause to use your repair facilities a number of times and have always been 110% satisfied with the very reasonable and quick service.

This time however I am EXTREMELY irritated by your response...
Last week I was shooting a job and right in the middle of it... screen goes blank and unit is hot.
Luckily she was WLOS and I brought her back, finished the job using an iPad (hardly able to see the screen)
Sent it in for repair and today get an "invoice" for $513 for a "main board"
The unit is out of warranty for 6mths
Given the literally hundreds of complaints similar to mine about burn out - I think there is a definite class action case of fault lying with DJI for manufacturing a faulty device...
as others have said you pay 899 (now 999) for a monitor you expect it to last...
I have always felt that CS users are treated as second class customers... no support, no waypoint programs (with the exception of Litchi)
We show our support of DJI by purchasing your equipment... would be nice if you showed us the same respect...

If any DJI support staff actually read this, the case number is: CAS-3088162-R5F2Q3

Aloha
2019-6-5
Use props
dcobb23.me
lvl.1
Flight distance : 633386 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Crystal Sky UB that failed while on a Netflix movie. THANKFULLY, my camera op couldn't make it that day and I was flying solo, so my iPad was available. It was warm that day, but not severe. maybe 90º. The VERY frustrating part is, I sent it in and got an estimate for $550 to fix a KNOWN problem, barely a month out of the warranty period. How dare DJI treat their best customers like this! Anyone who owns a $1,000 specific use monitor is likely a professional, and has put tens of thousands into the DJI coffers. personally,  I've owned countless Phantoms (flying DJI since P1), Inspires and Mavic's. It really sucks when a company seemingly DELIBERATELY uses a flaw as a profit center. What if I spend another $550 and the thing fails again !?  Not to mention the monitor is very heavy. I'm buying a 1000 NIT Samsung tablet and FU DJI!! My date of failure was August 1st.
2019-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules