Problems with new firmware update - v1.2.1.0
1767 15 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matt.cameracrew
New

United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with this new firmware (v1.2.1.0)? The previous firmware had been great for me (20 + flights) with no problems. I upgraded the firmware yesterday and the inspire seemed to have a mind of its own, which was very worrying. It kept flying off erratically even when no controls were being pushed.

If anyone has an explanation as to why this may be, it would be great to hear.

Thanks

Matt
2015-4-24
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Take a look at Mauricio's post above "could you make a test for me" sounds like the two of you are experiencing the same issue?
2015-4-24
Use props
mauricio.copett
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49751 ft
Brazil

I had a crash after the firmware update and the bird was behaved  probable exactly as you are describing plus the terrible acceleration of the engines as if it had "a mind of its own", as you said. Was it very fast. noisy and going to any direction, regardless your commands?

Made many tests and until now I have no idea of what happen, neither DJI could give me an answer. How to prevent that? How to trust the bird again?

I calibrated everything, IMU, COMPASS, reinstall the firmware update, on and on repeatedly... then I went for a tethered test. Nothing abnormal and so I went (trembling) for a flight in beginner mode. It was ok, even though I don't feel yet confident if it going to happen again or in what situation that may occur,

Please contact DJI support and explain them your case. I assume that if many people do that they must to give a special attention for that. a part from the money loss,  It CAN KILL PEOPLE if not sorted out!

you are welcome to contact me at mauriciocopetti@gmail.com

good luck for us
2015-4-24
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

mauricio.copett Posted at 2015-4-25 00:20
I had a crash after the firmware update and the bird was behaved  probable exactly as you are descri ...

This is sad to read....

Even though this FW release was beta tested it still clearly has problems...
mine seems to fly ok at the moment however I am not able to calibrate the imu, button does not work.
All these problems and they just cant seem to get it right........
Not sure if I am the only one that notices but lately there is no response from even Tahoe Ed or Blade Strike to any of these problems, just complete silence...
Not sure how the DJI peeps sleep at night knowing full well that they offer lousy support if at all....
And this bird does not come close to doing what was advertised or claimed.
it is blessing that peeps write their experiences as there is no help from the manufacture.....
2015-4-24
Use props
mauricio.copett
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49751 ft
Brazil

Agree. DJI here seems to participate mostly when it's a simple case of reading the manual. Where are them when drones are putting peoples life in risk ? i wishe DJI was more  present  here, at least for serious cases.
2015-4-24
Use props
calidoug
New

United States

I had a similar issue this morning, which resulted in a catastrophic crash. My aircraft is destroyed. 100'+ fall directly onto concrete.

I was on an ad agency shoot in Los Angeles very early this morning. (6:30am) I had prepped last night, by discharging and recharging all three batteries, and both remotes fully. I conducted a full preflight, and flew the aircraft for a systems check. Everything was behaving nominally, and checked out. I packed up for the next morning. Once I arrived and got my master iPad hooked up to the master remote, and powered it on, I then inserted the battery into the aircraft and turned it on.

The normal pairing sequence did not finish, and I was forced to update to the new firmware. I followed the procedure for both the aircraft, and both remotes. All finished normally. (Proper lights, sounds and sequences.)

I turned the aircraft off. I turned both remotes off. I reconnected the iPads and turned the master remote on. I then turned the aircraft on and it paired properly with the master remote. Then I turned the slave remote on. It paired properly with the master, and so I continued preflight checks.

I calibrated the compass. I calibrated the IMU. I also made the necessary adjustments to the gimbal wheel speed, and video and still settings for my cameraman on the slave remote app.

Preflight completed, and our shoot planning finished, we readied for our first test run. I verified the 'Safe to Fly (GPS)" lock, verified that I was in P-GPS flight mode, and readied for take off. We made our first run no problem, so we started shooting. We made a few passes following and passing our subject, then moved location about 250 south. I landed the craft and reestablished home position.

We had about 45% battery left, so we were good for a few more shooting runs. Our subject repositioned, and we readied for takeoff. I verified the 'Safe to Fly (GPS)" lock, verified that I was in P-GPS flight mode, and readied for take off. Take off was just fine.  We made a couple passes, and received the "low battery warning" (set at 35%) during the middle of a run. As we finished the run, we received the "critical battery warning", and an audio warning that Return to Home would activate in 10 seconds. At this point we were about 25' high, and about 25' horizontally from the currently set home point. No obstructions in between, and flat level ground.

At this point, we were notified that Return to Home was activated, and then aircraft raced straight up another 75', hovered for about half a second, shut off completely, and dropped to the ground like a stone!!

It crashed apart into a hundred pieces. Everything that could have broken did. Both sides of both arms, both support struts, all four landing gear, 3 out of 4 rotors, the camera gimbal arm, camera gimbal ribbon, camera housing, and on and on. Even the battery looked like it was going to pop. About the only thing not very damaged was the airframe covers.

I am on the phone with DJI right now.  I've been asked to send it in for evaluation. We'll see how they handle it.

If you're asking, my advice is: DO NOT FLY WITH THIS FIRMWARE.
2015-4-24
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Do not fly with Batts below 50%. They drop off precipitously after 50% threshold. Sorry. You should have known that. It's a very very know problem with these freaking LIPOS. Hopefully no one got hurt
2015-4-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

At this point we were about 25' high, and about 25' horizontally from the currently set home point. No obstructions in between, and flat level ground.
Remember that the Inspire can't see, and has no radar.  It doesn't know whether there is level ground or a tree or building in the way.  It will slavishly climb to whatever RTH altitude has been set before it starts on its way home, even if it's only a few feet away.  And if that altitude is higher than the available power allows... here we are.

The first important question is: what was your Return to Home altitude set to in the app?  If it was set to 100', you were flying at 25', and the critical-low was set to a point that didn't allow enough power to reach the 100' RTH altitude, that's exactly what would happen (it should have tried to land immediately, wherever it was, before actually shutting off, but it might not have been able to make a 100' descent with the amount of power it had left).  If you were on clear ground and the RTH altitude was set to 25' it wouldn't have climbed (UNLESS there is a firmware problem that ignored the lower RTH altitude you set).  The follow-up question is: was the critical-low battery setting changed from the default to a lower number?

Those two questions are going to determine the outcome.
2015-4-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Sad to hear this , the latest firmware works better than the previous I'm having no problems with the bird , like the new features too.
Wish you all could say the same ....
2015-4-24
Use props
watson101
lvl.2

United States

Unpacked my new Inspire 1 on April 23rd and tried to install the Firmware Update.
Downloaded the latest Firmware from DJI web site.
Double clicked to create the Bin file.
Drug it onto the SD card that came with the Inspire 1.
Installed the card into the Camera card reader.
Turned on the Inspire 1.
After a few gyrations, the camera settles down pointed straight ahead.
A solid Red light comes on at the rear of the Inspire 1 and remains red.
A noise is emitted as if something is being written on a drive.
After 45 minutes I turn the Inspire 1 Off, remove the card, and the Text file says the "Update Cancelled Due To Time Out"

I have repeated this several times sometimes following YouTube videos that show how to watch the upgrade from iPad on my RC but nothing pops up on my screen.

Can anyone offer suggestions?
2015-4-24
Use props
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

calidoug Posted at 2015-4-25 03:45
I had a similar issue this morning, which resulted in a catastrophic crash. My aircraft is destroyed ...

Very sorry to hear about your crash.
I believe it probably a battery problem- possibly a bad cell.
I check my cells of the battery when I change batteries and also 2 - 3 times during a flight.
I have had one fail on me before and it went from 48% to 2% in less than 30 seconds.
I was lucky I was in a place were I could land it. Afterwards I checked the battery and there was 1 bad cell with about .4v less than the other 5.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d=93717&lang=en

Cheers
2015-4-24
Use props
nwellborn85
lvl.2

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-25 06:09
Do not fly with Batts below 50%. They drop off precipitously after 50% threshold. Sorry. You should  ...

You're missing out on some serious fly time if you stop flying at 50%.  I take it down close to 20% EVERYTIME unless I'm just bored and set it down before that.  Not one problem.  
2015-4-25
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I am not sure if this is firmware related or App bug, but today it happened for the first time.
In mid flight, Pilot app changed its status from ''safe to fly gps'' to ''disconnected'' and I lost the video signal from the camera.
Funny the way it is, Inspire was still controllable from the remote, like nothing happened, so I managed to get it close to me , for a safe langing, from above 25-30 meters.  While I was preparing to land, after around 10 seconds Inspire reconnected with the app, changed its status in ''safe to fly gps'' and I was able to continue my flight.

Did anyone else experienced this ?
Inspire, controller and battery were running on latest firmware 1.2.1.0, iOS app 1.0.3 running on iPad Air 2.
2015-4-25
Use props
Jubes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19859 ft
Ireland

watson101 Posted at 2015-4-25 08:42
Unpacked my new Inspire 1 on April 23rd and tried to install the Firmware Update.
Downloaded the lat ...

Hi,

Did you remember to 'extract all' from the update file? Only then will you have the correct file to place on your sd card. Windows 8 or 8.1 is best for the extraction.

Try again and report

2015-4-25
Use props
npienaar
New

South Africa

1 - A zoom facility would be great. The only possible way ,I think, would be a digital camera zoom - "pulling" it with fingers as per normal on the ipad.
Understand that the recording will still be "normal" view.
2 - Most videocams/handicams shoot at 25 fps whilst closest on inspire 1 is 24 fps - this making mixing footage from Inspire with other not all that compatable. UNLESS I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE VIDEOS "SMOOTH" (24/25 fps) I'm using POWERDIRECTOR 13 as editing programme.
2015-4-25
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I didn't mean stop flying at 50%. But if you are filming why chance it?  Old rule of thumb for boaters....1/3 out...1/3 back...1/3 fir emergency. Worked every time. I'm very conservative with these batts. I don't trustthem
2015-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules