Osmo Mobile 2 and phones with OIS
426975 426975 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
Poland

As we all know, the first generation of Osmo Mobile has a serious issue with the phones, that have built-in optical image stabilization. Is there any information, if this has been improved in gen. 2? This was the only issue, that stopped me from buying the 1st gen.
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So far very silent on this one.
I truly hope they find a fix (and implement it on V1 also)
2018-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We have optimized our DJI Go APP since V3.1.18 about the OIS conflict, no worries.
2018-1-23
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-23 01:22
We have optimized our DJI Go APP since V3.1.18 about the OIS conflict, no worries.

That is strange because v 3.1.18 or any following updates don't have any mention of OIS in their release info description in Version History in Apple Store..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dji-go/id943780750?mt=8

Version History
  • 3.1.24Jan 15, 20181. Fixed issues causing app crashes due to the iOS 11.1 calendar bug.
    2. iPhone X support will be added in the next update.

• 3.1.23Nov 28, 2017M600 PRO:
    1. Added support for the Hasselblad A6D-100C camera.

General:
    1. Added the Knowledge Quiz for users in the US.

• 3.1.22Nov 3, 2017M600 PRO:
    1. Added support for the Hasselblad A6D-100C camera.

General:
    1. Added the Knowledge Quiz for users in the US.

• 3.1.19Oct 30, 2017Editor:
    1. Updated the music library and opening scenes.
    2. Added music favoriting.

General:
    1. Streamlined
    the login and registration process.
    2. Added access to the Unmanned Aerial System
    Training Center.

• 3.1.18Oct 16, 2017Editor:
    1. Updated the music library and opening scenes.
    2. Added music favoriting.

General:
    1. Streamlined
    the login and registration process.
    2. Added access to the Unmanned Aerial System
    Training Center.

2018-1-23
Use props
ByronHarty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210036 ft
United Kingdom

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/dji-osmo-mobile-2    This review includes demo videos with an Iphone X with OIS on.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

netcarlos Posted at 2018-1-23 05:56
That is strange because v 3.1.18 or any following updates don't have any mention of OIS in their release info description in Version History in Apple Store..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dji-go/id943780750?mt=8

It may not be described in the release note but we do have optimized the issue.
2018-1-24
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-24 03:29

That is pretty hard to believe that critical update that everybody was waiting for at least 1 year isn't mentioned in release info.

Could you be please more transparent about software updates?
In which particular version this problem was addressed?
2018-1-24
Use props
bss8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 273110 ft
United States

ByronHarty Posted at 2018-1-23 08:24
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/dji-osmo-mobile-2    This review includes demo videos with an Iphone X with OIS on.

In fact, this review specifically mentions that there are still issues with OIS and the Osmo 2:

"You may notice micro-shakes even in the best conditions, and that's dependent on your smartphone. Sometimes the gimbal and the phone's optical image stabilization (OIS) battle each other (the phone camera's on-board OIS detects movement and tries to compensate). Turning off OIS is one solution, but sadly that's not an option on some phones, like the iPhone."
2018-1-24
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

How exactly was the problem addressed? Is OIS in iPhone 7 now turned off?
Have you got some link to futher info on this update? Something more solid than just argument from admin/mod of DJI forum?
2018-1-24
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Poland

I don’t really believe, this could be addressed within the app, since IOS cannot be disabled programmatically. The only way would be to compensate by the firmware in the gimbal.
2018-1-24
Use props
83SanDimas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21358 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone seen a good video? Everyone I have seen looks like its bouncing and jerky
2018-1-24
Use props
OldFrogger
lvl.1

United States

Ok, posting here because A LOT of folks seem to have pre-ordered this new Osmo 2 gimbal (initially offered EXCLUSIVELY through Apple) with no guarantees that the previous OIS jitter problems have been addressed by either parties involved. This is a major red flag for consumer confidence.
2018-1-26
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

Major red flag is mod/admin of DJI forum making some very generic statement without any arguments or solid facts. That is not what I expect from leader of the market. I expect transparency.
2018-1-27
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

Mikolaj Posted at 2018-1-24 08:18
I don’t really believe, this could be addressed within the app, since IOS cannot be disabled programmatically. The only way would be to compensate by the firmware in the gimbal.

I don't think you are correct. Are you suggesting that OIS is embedded in the hardware? I don't think that is true.

There are 3rd party apps that can enable/disable stabilization.. for example http://cydia.saurik.com/package/org.thebigboss.cameratweak4/
2018-1-27
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

There is no evidence that OIS is hard wired and cannot be turned off..

If you read Apple Developer's API reference there is clear statement that you can ENABLE IT.. that means it is not enabled by default:

OIS
Optical image stabilization (OIS) optically centers the camera lens to minimize the effects of hand shake, which is particularly helpful in low light situations where longer exposures are needed, and in video recording. The rear-facing camera on last year’s iPhone 6s Plus supports OIS, whereas the smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone SE only support software-based image stabilization using multi-image fusion. iPhone 7 and 7 Plus’s wide angle cameras both support OIS. These cameras use a combination of optical stabilization and software multi-image fusion to deliver the best possible still images in low light. To capture photos and video with OIS, use the OIS specific APIs detailed at https://developer.apple.com/libr ... 40013599-CH107-SW4.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/63347
https://developer.apple.com/docu ... eostabilizationmode

Set this property to a value other than off to enable stabilization whenever the specified mode is available.

2018-1-27
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Poland

There are 2 types of stabilization inside iPhone camera modules. Electronic and Optical stabilization. Electronic can be disabled programmatically. Optical is embedded in the hardware and is not software controlled. No app and even the iOS cannot disable it.
2018-1-27
Use props
fansb1adb609
New

Canada

It really would be nice for DJI to specify on the product page that the Osmo Mobile line doesn't work perfectly with, at the very least, iPhone. I don't know how well it fairs on other phones but really that should be mentioned.
2018-1-28
Use props
OldFrogger
lvl.1

United States

Yeah you can see similar questions being asked on Apple's Website. No reply there either.
2018-1-30
Use props
woffer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 934239 ft
Croatia

Filmic Pro app for iPhone + DJI OSMO = WIN

In the Filmic pro app you can turn off OIS. Filmic pro also supports some of OSMO functions.
2018-1-31
Use props
netcarlos
lvl.1
Czechia

We are waiting for week now to hear your explanation!
2018-1-31
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Poland

The issue is with the wording. DJI Mindy said:

"It may not be described in the release note but we do have optimized the issue."

"Optimized" is the key. Not resolved but optimised, that means minimized the impact as good as they could. In fact, what was most probably done in one of the previous versions was disabling so called cinematic video stabilisation, which is different from optical image stabilisation. The 1st one can be disabled programatically, the 2nd one cannot.

Filmic Pro is not a solution, unfortunately, as it is able only to disable the same. This of course helps a bit, but the actual problem still persists since the very beginning. That's why, the corresponding topic for Osmo Mobile 1 is so long.

I'm sure, that once the new device will be widely available, we will see a lot of reviews. Then we will be able to see, if anything was done about this in the new Osmo Mobile revision.
2018-1-31
Use props
VR6OOM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61148 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dji should just include a branded magnet ;)
2018-1-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

netcarlos Posted at 2018-1-24 07:04
How exactly was the problem addressed? Is OIS in iPhone 7 now turned off?
Have you got some link to futher info on this update? Something more solid than just argument from admin/mod of DJI forum?

Netcarlos, I'm sorry for the late response, I have posted in 3# that the issue has got optimized, this doesn't mean the OIS can be turned off, but the APP has been optimized the issue, if you have any problem with iPhone 7, please post a video to us for further analysis, thank you.
2018-2-3
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just received my OM2 yesterday and have yet to do any serious recording testing yet but I can say that there is plenty of movement in both balancing directions to balance the iPhone 6s plus, iPhone 7 plus and the iPhone X.  I had good results with all three phone with no motors fighting or heating.  I was using the respective Apple Leather cases with each phone.
2018-2-7
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm really curious about this as well. I really want to purchase the Osmo Mobile 2, but I want to make sure that the OIS conflict issue won't be present when using my iPhone X. From the YouTube reviews that I've seen so far, it looks like the jitter might still be there ... but I'm hoping that I'm wrong so I can purchase one!
2018-2-8
Use props
djiuser_0WmvpoHj8BUb
New

United States

Trip Astute Posted at 2018-2-8 16:52
I'm really curious about this as well. I really want to purchase the Osmo Mobile 2, but I want to make sure that the OIS conflict issue won't be present when using my iPhone X. From the YouTube reviews that I've seen so far, it looks like the jitter might still be there ... but I'm hoping that I'm wrong so I can purchase one!

I'm curious, has anyone heard any updates if this has been a confirmed FIX or at least an improvement?
2018-2-12
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here’s the deal... regardless of what anyone says.  It CANNOT be fixed.  It’s a hardware... issue.. not a bug.  If you tap on the side of your phone.  The entire camera mechanism moves.  So what happens is OIS is trying to stabilize on top of the Osmo.. they are battling... it really shows in walking... the “bobbing”.   To prove this.. use the “selfie” camera on the front of your phone... it does NOT have hardware image stabilization.. flip your phone so your shooting with the selfie cam.... better huh?  No bobbing.. again.   DJI cannot fix something that is an issue with hardware stabilization in phones.  It is NOT DJI’s problem.  They may be able to do software tweets... but won’t be able to actually fix it.
2018-2-13
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Poland

So the real question is, what is the future of Osmo Mobile, assuming, that more and more phones will have OIS. Who is this product targeting for? Users of premium phones expect high quality of the movies, but due to this issue it is not possible to achieve. Users of budget phones will not spend that money for the gimbal. So, who?
2018-2-13
Use props
CreaTobi
lvl.1
Germany

Mikolaj Posted at 2018-2-13 23:03
So the real question is, what is the future of Osmo Mobile, assuming, that more and more phones will have OIS. Who is this product targeting for? Users of premium phones expect high quality of the movies, but due to this issue it is not possible to achieve. Users of budget phones will not spend that money for the gimbal. So, who?

Well, in android phones like s8 and pixel 2 it’s possible to turn off the OIS. So I t’s just an iPhone problem.
What I’m really disappointed about, because the Osmo Mobile 2 for the first weeks was exclusively sold from Apple. And both, Apple and DJI, are trying to ignore the fact, that the Osmo Mobile isn’t a good accessory for an iPhone with OIS!
I’ve got better footage when just using a telescope stick and the stabilisation from the iPhone itself, instead of using the mobile 2 as an overpriced handgrip!
I can’t understand why this isn’t a big thing for dji. Or does most people really don’t realize the obviously jittering?
2018-2-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

NerdyGuy Posted at 2018-2-13 22:54
Here’s the deal... regardless of what anyone says.  It CANNOT be fixed.  It’s a hardware... issue.. not a bug.  If you tap on the side of your phone.  The entire camera mechanism moves.  So what happens is OIS is trying to stabilize on top of the Osmo.. they are battling... it really shows in walking... the “bobbing”.   To prove this.. use the “selfie” camera on the front of your phone... it does NOT have hardware image stabilization.. flip your phone so your shooting with the selfie cam.... better huh?  No bobbing.. again.   DJI cannot fix something that is an issue with hardware stabilization in phones.  It is NOT DJI’s problem.  They may be able to do software tweets... but won’t be able to actually fix it.

Maybe off topic, but this is the exact reason that I started using my Gopro Hero 6 with the om2 and an adapter more than the iphone because I can turn off the stabilization on the gopro and the footage looks descent or even with the (EIS) stabilization on!  I would prefer using my iphone 8 plus but the OIS kills it.  
2018-2-14
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you REALLY want to get rid of the bob in your videos.... I am here to rescue you.... See below:

If your handy and have a 3D printer.  THIS DOES WORK!!!!!!:   https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672749
This guy "Scotty Makes Stuff" is an AMAZING designer.     Makes many 4th axis stabilizer models.  Check out his Thingiverse design page at: https://www.thingiverse.com/ScottyMakesStuff/designs/page:1

THIS IS A PROJECT...  You have to have the patience to build the thing.  I built his first version & he claims to have made his design MUCH better. .... I will likely build his newest model soon.
2018-2-14
Use props
VR6OOM
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I’m using a 7+ and om2 and I’m not seeing the jitter. I’m not sure what or how it was fixed but my footage is very smooth.
2018-2-14
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Poland

VR6OOM Posted at 2018-2-14 18:34
I’m using a 7+ and om2 and I’m not seeing the jitter. I’m not sure what or how it was fixed but my footage is very smooth.

Can you share some footage, please? With no post-processing, from the wide angle camera.
2018-2-15
Use props
fansd9e3707d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 750095 ft
Canada

Hi, I'm a professional cinematographer, I have Osmo mobile 2 and iPhoneX, and let me tell you DJI go app Jittering, camera app jittering, filmic pro jittering, digital stabilization in filmic help but not remove it totally. Only option for me is using a magnet to disable OIS. Im very disapointed.  And If you don't see this issue you are blind.
2018-2-15
Use props
ShadowZ
lvl.2
Canada

fansd9e3707d Posted at 2018-2-15 13:46
Hi, I'm a professional cinematographer, I have Osmo mobile 2 and iPhoneX, and let me tell you DJI go app Jittering, camera app jittering, filmic pro jittering, digital stabilization in filmic help but not remove it totally. Only option for me is using a magnet to disable OIS. Im very disapointed.  And If you don't see this issue you are blind.

I ordered it for my iphone x before knowing this OIS issue, just wondering is it bad to use the active track with this jittering issue?  
One of the reason I ordered it was because of the active tracking, but if the jittering issue is that bad then I may just cancel the order.
2018-2-15
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found a YouTube video that compares the footage on different apps using an iPhone X and the Osmo Mobile 2:

Looks like it's still an issue, but can be potentially mitigated by using other apps.
2018-2-16
Use props
VR6OOM
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

My footage looks super smooth compared to his. I guess it's my super smooth ninja walk?
2018-2-16
Use props
mr_pit
New

United Kingdom

VR6OOM Posted at 2018-2-16 10:03
My footage looks super smooth compared to his. I guess it's my super smooth ninja walk?

Can you prove it?
2018-2-16
Use props
c.grex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4751 ft
United Kingdom

Here is some footage today using a iPhone 7plus. It’s nothing like as bad as I thought. I deliberately didn’t try to compensate in anyway. (First time out and playing with it, so not the best footage)

2018-2-16
Use props
MikeDoesWhat
New
United States

Hey! Guy that made the above comparison video here.

VR6OOM and c.grex. Would you guys mind sharing what app and settings you have used?  Which phone model and are you shooting auto or manual?  I do see that same shake in c.grex's video. Especially when looking at the fence posts on the right side at the beginning of the video.

I am considering putting another video together with some different settings as I think the 30fps test played on a 24fps video might not be completely accurate when it comes to the shake. Although I believe it is still an issue on all frame rates.

Even with the worst footage I've been able to completely get rid of the shake by using Premiere and then adding some additional masking in After Effects to make sure Warp Stabilizer is not tracking moving objects.
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules