Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are the photos using the M600 Pro and Zenmuse X5R Geolocated/Geor...
1114 6 2018-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PascoCounty SAM
lvl.1

United States

Hello all:
I am using the M600 Pro with the Zenmuse X5R camera and we haven't installed the D-RTK unit yet (that's another issue, see future posts).  I teaching myself how use Pix4D.  I am a Surveyor so GCP's are part of our everyday procedures, and we are looking for the highest accuracy/precision we can get.  I just need to know using the M600 and the X5R, are the images taken and ultimately used in a Pix4D project Georeferenced/Geolocated as mentioned in Pix4D?

Anyone? Bueller?  

Thank you,
Alex W. Parnes, PSM
County Surveyor
Pasco County, Florida.
2018-1-22
Use props
HyperSpectral
Second Officer
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

Yes, as far as our testing has shown integrated cameras such as the X5R will be geotagged when taken/saved. It works with our X5 although we don't use it and it's in testing. We've also successfuly extracted coordinates from the CANBUS and fed them into our thermal camera for automated geotagging.

D-RTK will help reduce the need of GCP's, but it's unfortunately not at a point to give people like you (surveyors and otherwise) the accuracy you need with no GCP's at all. There are systems in place that will fix that, RTK/PPK but you're talking $$$. It is something to mention to the higher ups if you want to save time in the future by not having to place GCP's.

Want to try it? Enter simulator mode in DJI Assistant 2, and place whatever coordinates you want. You should be able to take pictures and have the coordinates you entered be the coordinates in the EXIF data.

2018-1-22
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Be aware however that DJI's RTK does not tag the images with RTK derived co-ordinates. That data comes from the aircraft's standard GPS unit.
Despite the marketing, the RTK is only used for supporting navigation functions.
2018-1-22
Use props
HyperSpectral
Second Officer
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-1-22 15:53
Be aware however that DJI's RTK does not tag the images with RTK derived co-ordinates. That data comes from the aircraft's standard GPS unit.
Despite the marketing, the RTK is only used for supporting navigation functions.

I believe this is true for integrated cameras such as the X5, you only get the base GPS data. However, if you pull the data off the CANBUS it seems to be RTK data but I haven't had time to verify it. This of course requires a 3rd party set up and camera that can accept a CANBUS

The RTK Data is available in the SDK, so with some enginerding you can get it. You will also get it if you post process geotag data, which is a pain.
2018-1-23
Use props
PascoCounty SAM
lvl.1

United States

HyperSpectral Posted at 2018-1-22 14:03
Yes, as far as our testing has shown integrated cameras such as the X5R will be geotagged when taken/saved. It works with our X5 although we don't use it and it's in testing. We've also successfuly extracted coordinates from the CANBUS and fed them into our thermal camera for automated geotagging.

D-RTK will help reduce the need of GCP's, but it's unfortunately not at a point to give people like you (surveyors and otherwise) the accuracy you need with no GCP's at all. There are systems in place that will fix that, RTK/PPK but you're talking $$$. It is something to mention to the higher ups if you want to save time in the future by not having to place GCP's.

Thanks, will try this today.
2018-1-24
Use props
PascoCounty SAM
lvl.1

United States

HyperSpectral and Farnk666:
Thank you very much for your replies and discussion.  Helps quite a bit.  I'm disappointed if the D-RTK unit doesn't improve overall Surveying accuracy.  I haven't installed it yet but plan to begin today.  Not to go off on a tangent but there are installation issues with DJI's RTK unit and M600 Pro, namely power port on top of the airframe, it shows it on the video but we can't find it.  But that's subject matter for a later post.

OK so these pics I will take will be geolocated by the craft's on board A3 GPS system.  hmm ok.   So I'm thinking my process with be to set and Survey in the GCP's and use them to determine the coordinates for the entire model, ala classic Surveying Photogrammetry, and adjusting the entire point cloud to the Surveying Control. Then we can create a >LAS file and a .DXF file and slide the data into AutoCAD to produce our Survey.  I understand we can get approx. +/- 5 cm x,y,z accuracy (Horizontal al vertical) and this will have many applications for us here, I just have to figure out how to do this.

Thank you,
Alex W. Parnes, PSM
County Surveyor
Pasco County, Florida.

Thank you both again.

We are moving slowy with our foray into the world of UAV/Drone Survying and Mapping but stedily progessing and tit's thanks to you guys for the replies and your experience.

2018-1-24
Use props
HyperSpectral
Second Officer
United States

PascoCounty SAM Posted at 2018-1-24 04:58
HyperSpectral and Farnk666:
Thank you very much for your replies and discussion.  Helps quite a bit.  I'm disappointed if the D-RTK unit doesn't improve overall Surveying accuracy.  I haven't installed it yet but plan to begin today.  Not to go off on a tangent but there are installation issues with DJI's RTK unit and M600 Pro, namely power port on top of the airframe, it shows it on the video but we can't find it.  But that's subject matter for a later post.

The power port is hidden on the bottom "sandwich" of the two carbon fiber plates. It essentially comes from the power distribution board into the bottom plate and has a XT30 connector you plug the harness into. You may need to move some wires around, take the batteries out, use a flashlight, etc to locate it. The D-RTK fits better on the M600 than the Pro version, so when I mounted it to the Pro version I cut one slot for the cooling fan open on each side and ran the wires through the slot and it just fits. Be sure to mitigate the rubbing of the wire against the plastic corner, though.

Your process for creating the model sounds good to me, you're missing the flight plan aspect of it though. You'll need to do some testing to determine what altitude/velocity/overlap and other settings work best for you.

+-5cm accuracy can be a bit ambiguous, but you'll see those issues once you produce the first model.

2018-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules