Horizontal panorama vertical angle
1647 8 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>

I am still pretty new to this so I haven't had the time to test extensively the panorama modes of the Mavic.
My question is as follows: If I create a panorama by using the "Horizontal" option (the 9 photos in a rectangle formation), is the intial angle of the camera taken into account? In other words: If I point my camera at around 45 degrees down from horizontal before pressing the button, will I get a different parnorama than if I point it straight forward (horizontally). It did not occur to me to test this the last time I used the Mavic, but in one of the few "horizontal" panoramas I created it looked like the camera started out horizontaly even if I had the camera angled slightly down when pressing the shutter button, but I might possibly be mistaken.
The written guide from DJI does not give any conclusive answer as it says "During the shooting process, the aircraft will use the current location as the initial position and auto pan", but it does not mention the vertical camera angle.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That’s right - it will take a still from the original angle then work around from that point.
2018-1-23
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 01:43
That’s right - it will take a still from the original angle then work around from that point.

OK, thanks, that sounds good. I will have to experiemnt some more with this to get familiar with the settings and operation of the camera.
Do you know what happens if you point the camera straight down before shooting the horizontal panorama?
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JensIR Posted at 2018-1-23 02:16
OK, thanks, that sounds good. I will have to experiemnt some more with this to get familiar with the settings and operation of the camera.
Do you know what happens if you point the camera straight down before shooting the horizontal panorama?

Never tried that one LOL - I would imagine the drone will yaw around though - may try that myself this weekend, weather permitting!
2018-1-23
Use props
KitMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25180 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

i was wondering about this as well as each time i was angled down between horizontal and vertical it reverted to horizontal pano.  Except when i pointed the camera vertically downwards.   I will test again as the reader below said the pano starts from the original angle.  What have you also found?
2018-8-29
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
  • >>>

Actually, I tested this some more some months ago, and there is no indication that it is taking the current camera angle as the starting angle for the panorama. Unfortunately it seems it reverts to horizontal before starting the parnorama process. If I make two panoramas, one with the camera starting horizontal and one with the camera starting angled slightly dwon, I end up with identical results.
I can understand this behavior for a 180 degree panorama covering the entire horizon, but for a 9-picture panorama, which basically is a wide angle photo, this seems like a silly limitation to only be able to shoot horizontally. It certainly limits my ability to create wide angle photos, for example of buildings, structures or landscape features as it forces me to be more or less on the same elevation as the target, I can not shoot an angled panorama from above. There is definitely room for some enhancements to the panorama capabilities. And while fixing this, dear DJI, please add also the capabilty to shoot panoramas with bracketing........
2018-8-29
Use props
KitMavic
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 01:43

I did some tests, it doesn't appear to take into account the original starting point unless horizontal. please do correct me if I am wrong.
2018-9-7
Use props
KitMavic
lvl.2
  • >>>
Hong Kong

JensIR Posted at 2018-8-29 23:35
Actually, I tested this some more some months ago, and there is no indication that it is taking the current camera angle as the starting angle for the panorama. Unfortunately it seems it reverts to horizontal before starting the parnorama process. If I make two panoramas, one with the camera starting horizontal and one with the camera starting angled slightly dwon, I end up with identical results.
I can understand this behavior for a 180 degree panorama covering the entire horizon, but for a 9-picture panorama, which basically is a wide angle photo, this seems like a silly limitation to only be able to shoot horizontally. It certainly limits my ability to create wide angle photos, for example of buildings, structures or landscape features as it forces me to be more or less on the same elevation as the target, I can not shoot an angled panorama from above. There is definitely room for some enhancements to the panorama capabilities. And while fixing this, dear DJI, please add also the capabilty to shoot panoramas with bracketing........

yeah I think "horizontal" pano literally means the centre point is horizontal.    I think only when the camera points vertically downwards it does a pano around that vertical point.  I think anything in between, reverts to the horizontal position  -  but not actually sure whether 0-45 goes to horizontal and 45-90 goes to 90 degs.   So far I have had to do manual pano's, which does take time and needs to be checked on location the stitching is okay before leaving the venue.   Can someone confirm my understanding or correct me.  Thanks
2018-9-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KitMavic Posted at 2018-9-7 19:17
I did some tests, it doesn't appear to take into account the original starting point unless horizontal. please do correct me if I am wrong.

Good to know   
2018-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules