26529 74 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anita_Holder
lvl.2

Germany

INTRODUCING DJI Mavic Air

Prices: $ 799 (Single), $ 999 (Combo)

The brand new DJI Mavic Air features a new folding design and a fully stabilized 3-axis gimbal camera. The Mavic Air is available in three color options (white, red and black) with a base price of $ 799 including controller. The maximum flight speed of 42,5 mph (68,4 kph) makes the DJI Mavic Air very fast in every situation. Of course there is a forward, downward and backward Vision System. The DJI Mavic Air 720p real-time video transmission from up to 2.5 miles (4 km) away. The remote controller of the DJI Mavic Air is just like the one we’ve seen in the DJI Spark, but the Control Sticks are detachable. The battery will allow you to fly for a maximum amount of 21 minutes with no wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph). The camera itself is a 12MP shooter for still photos and a 4K UHD for video (3840 x 2160 30p). The max. video storage bitrate is 100 Mbps. Compatible with DJI Goggles of course!
THIS AIRCRAFT IS VERY IMPRESSIVE! For those you waiting for a smaller, more affordable drone from DJI with better camera quality, the wait is over: the DJI Mavic Air is an easy-to-fly mini drone that features all of DJI's signature technologies including foldable arms and a 4K camera. What do you think? Here’s a quick list of the enhancements and key features:

Key Features:
·       Weight: 430 g
·       Dimensions: 143.9×78.3×61.2 mm (folded)
·       Folding design / foldable arms & three colours
·       Forward, Downward and Backward Vision Systems
·       3-axis gimbal
·       Max. Speed: 42.5 mph (68.4 kph) in Sport Mode
·       Flight Time: 21 minutes
·       Transmission Range: 2.49 mi (4 km)
·       Detachable Control Sticks
·       CMOS, 12MP, 4K Ultra HD (30fps)
·       max. Video Bitrate: 100 Mbps!
·       JPEG, DNG!

Little Comparison Mavic Pro, Mavic Air & Spark
Feature & Aircraft
DJI Mavic Pro
DJI Mavic Air
DJI Spark
Weight
1.64 lbs (743 g)
0,95 lbs (430 g)
0,66 lbs (300 g)
Dimensions
198 x 83 x 83 mm (folded)
143.9 × 78.3 × 61.2 mm (folded)
143 × 143 × 55 mm
Transmission Range
4.3 mi (7 km)
2.49 mi (4 km)
1.2 mi (2 km)
Max. Speed
40 mph (65 kph) in Sport Mode
42.5 mph (68.4 kph) in Sport Mode
31 mph (50 kph) in Sport Mode
Max. Flight Time
27 minutes
21 minutes
16 minutes
Sensor
CMOS, 1/2.3
CMOS, 1/2.3
CMOS, 1/2.3
FOV
78.8°
28 mm
f/2.2
85°
24 mm
f/2.8
81.9°
25 mm
f/2.6
Video Recording
4K Ultra HD: 3840x2160 24 / 25 / 30p
4K Ultra HD: 3840×2160 24 / 25 / 30p
Full HD: 1920×1080 30p
Video Storage Bitrate
60 Mbps
100 Mbps
24 Mbps
Photo
JPEG & DNG
JPEG & DNG
JPEG
Gimbal
3-axis gimbal (pitch, roll, yaw)
3-axis gimbal (pitch, roll, yaw)
2-axis gimbal (pitch, roll)

medium_a7f3e87a-e907-4eef-8755-4a704155b682.jpg
medium_587fe28a-aee9-448a-9105-05c76fd6fd3d.jpg
2018-1-23
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Your link does not work ...
Try this ....

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air?vid=39071

I see they still use the Android/IOS systems by making you use your phone/tablet. This is a problem for me, I would much prefer them to integrate a touch screen into the controllers and move away whole Andriod/IOS debate and make life a lot easier for ALL users for setting up and further updates.

Otherwise, this little thing looks like the love child of the Mavic and Spark coming together ... I don't see this as the new improved/updated Mavic 2
2018-1-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that looks nice.
https://live.dji.com/?from=enforum
PS, the link does not work anymore.

It will begin shortly
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't see what's the advantage of the air over the pro. less flight time and less range.
2018-1-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Original is better
2018-1-23
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not having a better camera is somewhat of a let down. 12mp stills but 32mp pano's....Explain ?? Less flight time - bout the same as a Spark in normal mode when the Air is in Sport mode.
2018-1-23
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

999$ Really?
2018-1-23
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-23 07:27
Not having a better camera is somewhat of a let down. 12mp stills but 32mp pano's....Explain ?? Less flight time - bout the same as a Spark in normal mode when the Air is in Sport mode.

It takes multiple pictures and splices them together, effectively making it 32mp.
2018-1-23
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Trying to make that money.... lol

I'll stick to my Mavic Pro.
2018-1-23
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

OP, also your prices are incorrect. It's 799 w/out combo.
2018-1-23
Use props
theothernt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Flight time is 21mins (not 22mins)

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs
2018-1-23
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, that presentation was like a clone of every Apple Keynote!  I think someone was trained on how to do these roll outs!  Even down the the Johnny Ive sounding guy to explain all the features in a video at the end!  Now, if they would bring their customer service to Apple levels, that would be awesome.

As for the Mavic Air, it's more of a Spark "unfolded" to me.  I see no reason to add this to my 'fleet', but others may want it, that's cool.
I'm not sure who it's for;  beginners have the Spark and "Pros" would use, at least, the Phantom 4 Pro........ who's in the middle?

If this means a drop in price for the Mavic Pro, I'd probably go in that direction!
2018-1-23
Use props
Yunior
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a big disappointment. Why would you make a drone in between a Spark and Mavic Pro. The line is already made between Spark and Mavic when it comes to consumers. Now they go on and make another drone basically just to add another option for buyers. This is basically a Spark 2.0

This would have to be the worse buy a consumer can make when buying a drone. For this price, you can just get a Mavic Pro even if you have to pay an extra 100 or 200 and you will have a much better drone.

Was really expecting upgraded Mavic Pro with a camera close or better than Phantom 4 pro.
2018-1-23
Use props
fans6f3e3f9e
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

Well, here in Switzerland everything weighing less than 500g is a toy, not a drone, and you can fly almost everywhere. Thus having something mavic-like at under 500grams makes extremely sense, too bad I already have a spark. The added 3axis gimbal, vertical pano, HDR and DNG features are a big bonus if you are looking at landscape HDR panoramas. I lost quite a few shots due to yaw drifting of the spark after turning to pano angle. If they only used the extra 70 grams allowed (430 to 500) to put in a better/larger sensor, something like 1'' would be nice.
2018-1-23
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137425 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans6f3e3f9e Posted at 2018-1-23 08:21
Well, here in Switzerland everything weighing less than 500g is a toy, not a drone, and you can fly almost everywhere. Thus having something mavic-like at under 500grams makes extremely sense, too bad I already have a spark. The added 3axis gimbal, vertical pano, HDR and DNG features are a big bonus if you are looking at landscape HDR panoramas. I lost quite a few shots due to yaw drifting of the spark after turning to pano angle. If they only used the extra 70 grams allowed (430 to 500) to put in a better/larger sensor, something like 1'' would be nice.

Hmmm.... you make a good point.  As a Mavic Pro and Inspire 2 owner the Air specs were not attractive but if it is light enough to skirt registration and int'l laws around drone use that would give it a huge + for me as a travel drone.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-1-23 07:20
Don't see what's the advantage of the air over the pro. less flight time and less range.

It's 2.5MPH faster and lighter LOL Seriously - this is a Spark Pro
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 08:46
It's 2.5MPH faster and  lighter LOL Seriously - this is a Spark Pro

Totally agree. I’ll put away my credit card now. Just when it was burning a hole in my wallet.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-1-23 08:57
Totally agree. I’ll put away my credit card now. Just when it was burning a hole in my wallet.

I never had mine out but it is impressive for those starting out in the hobby or looking to upgrade the Spark.
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 09:00
I never had mine out but it is impressive for those starting out in the hobby or looking to upgrade the Spark.

Agreed. I considered getting my daughter one.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-1-23 09:06
Agreed. I considered getting my daughter one.

Perfect drone for her.
2018-1-23
Use props
Johnny Hauan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480 ft
Norway

As a Mavic Pro user i find the increased bitrate and 120fps mode very attractive. But yeah, it does look and sound like a toy... Im not quite sure if im gonna invest in it yet. Mavic Pro has been amazing to use and i feel its size is just perfect.
2018-1-23
Use props
Claudia Fischer
lvl.3
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 09:24
Perfect drone for her.

Yes, this was also my thoughts.
2018-1-23
Use props
Anita_Holder
lvl.2

Germany

No, sorry. This was an incorrect information. SORRY!
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny Hauan Posted at 2018-1-23 09:33
As a Mavic Pro user i find the increased bitrate and 120fps mode very attractive. But yeah, it does look and sound like a toy... Im not quite sure if im gonna invest in it yet. Mavic Pro has been amazing to use and i feel its size is just perfect.

I agree that the new Mavic Air is a downgrade from the Pro but I would not consider it a toy drone in any regard.
2018-1-23
Use props
Claudia Fischer
lvl.3
Germany

Have found another comparison:

26994217_10155233536786966_744349209790642940_n.jpg
26994217_10155233536786966_744349209790642940_n.jpg
2018-1-23
Use props
fans5aee5495
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Waiting for Mavic Pro 2.
2018-1-23
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s a tough one, I’m seriously tempted but finding hard at the same time to justify. I’ve got a Mavic Pro with new props and 4 batteries, all the other bits and pieces so really not sure... torn!
2018-1-23
Use props
LeftHandMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226713 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yunior Posted at 2018-1-23 08:13
This is a big disappointment. Why would you make a drone in between a Spark and Mavic Pro. The line is already made between Spark and Mavic when it comes to consumers. Now they go on and make another drone basically just to add another option for buyers. This is basically a Spark 2.0

This would have to be the worse buy a consumer can make when buying a drone. For this price, you can just get a Mavic Pro even if you have to pay an extra 100 or 200 and you will have a much better drone.

Big improvement over the Mavic Pro for me! Mavic Pro: 4K 60mbps Mavic Air 4K 100mbps.  This will really improve the muddy picture quality with the Magic Pro.  Even smaller, faster, great new features. Far from a "worst buy" for someone...
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 2018-1-23 10:48
It’s a tough one, I’m seriously tempted but finding hard at the same time to justify. I’ve got a Mavic Pro with new props and 4 batteries, all the other bits and pieces so really not sure... torn!

Look at it in real terms and ask yourself these questions: -

>Do you ever fill a 64gb Micro SD card everytime you head out and fly?
>Have you ever crashed a drone flying backwards?
>How often do you record in slow mo in HD and will FHD make that much of a difference to you?
>Will you even notice 2.5MPH (I've hit 41.6MPH with my MPP BTW - so 0.9MPH)
>Do you find the size and weight of your existing Mavic to be portable enough?

>Are you willing to halve your transmission range by throwing away OcuSync for enhanced WiFi only and knock ten minutes flight time off of each battery and have a louder drone (I fly the MPP) to have those minor improvements noted above
>Are you willing to lose hundreds of £££ to trade in simply for the latest model that looks more like a Spark Pro than a Mavic?
2018-1-23
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was planning to get my grandson something, he loves flying my Spark. I ordered a red Air for me and he will become the proud owner of the Spark.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-23 11:15
I was planning to get my grandson something, he loves flying my Spark. I ordered a red Air for me and he will become the proud owner of the Spark.

Now thats the perfect reason to get one - this is a great upgrade over the Spark but I will not be selling my Mavic Pro Platinum for this - it makes no sense.
2018-1-23
Use props
dszp16
New
United States

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a downgrade from the Mavic Pro. As someone who is about to buy a new drone, built for travel and ease of use it is a tough decision between the Pro and the Air. I have been waiting and waiting for the Pro 2 before I purchased my upgrade from the Phantom 3 so this is a disappointment for sure but I don't know if I'd consider it a downgrade from the Pro. The main con of the Air is less flight time. I didn't need the Pro to be smaller, I wanted it to have a better camera. The positive of the Mavic Air is the price and eventually resale value for when the Pro 2 FINALLY comes out. Im leaning more towards the Air now.  
2018-1-23
Use props
fansc88ec810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 203812 ft
United States

Well, I have the mavic pro and I think this one is going to be the perfect one for me.
Why?
For my international travels, I leave mavic pro almost all the time because of it's size. I only take a carry-on bag with my other camera gear and mavic pro is just that little chunky to push it beyond the carryon size/weight limits. I felt the time I will spend flying may not justify the space. So I was eyeing the spark wondering if I should compromise on the video resolution and get one for my travels. Then comes my wish come true, a smaller than spark size drone with video capabilities of mavic. This can be my 'point and shoot' camera equivalent of the drone that I can throw in my bag wherever I go. Kind of like I may or may not use it, but it doesn't hurt to take it.

There are probably people out there like me. Just like the cameras, the best drone is the one that you carry with you
2018-1-23
Use props
Walker106
New
United States

I also have ben waiting on upgrading my P3P. Mavic Pro didnt do enough for me in terms of features and image quality. This ticks every box except the wifi is a killer! I can deal with the smaller battery life but the the wifi is an issue. Why couldnt they have just given it ocusync and made it the MP2?? Now its another product stuck in no mans land. DARN IT!!!! Id wait for the MP2 but i need a travel drone for the beginning of may.  So either way I have to sacrifice. The MP im loosing camera quality and really really useable flying features and sensors, that yes I will use. MA I get stuck with a serious concern of range and interference related to wifi, dont know what to do here.
2018-1-23
Use props
Chester Benning
lvl.1

Germany

Love the new Mavic Air and will buy it shortly.
2018-1-23
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Germany

For downhill skiing, size is everything. Hence ordered.

Things I don't know yet - appreciate any input:
  • Active Track downhill: Per my understanding there is no mode where the drone follows you and is reducing altitude together with you. Correct?
  • Active Track stationary: I place the drone 20m forward and 5m below my current point, just enough so that the gimbal can pitch to see me. Then I turn on active track and want the drone to stay where it is but move the gimbal and turn by 180° when I pass under it. Possible?
  • How are the Goggles connected: I read it as "via USB".
  • Functions of the Goggles: Again, I assume same as Spark and more.
  • Practical use of the Goggles: Assume we are three people, a pilot, a camera operator with the goggles and a skier. How does all of that look and feel? Most important, when I fly forward but the drone has to turn 90° left to keep the skiier in camera view, how is that done? Is it that the pilot no longer controls the bird relative to its axis but rather moves the target position (10m further north) and the bird follows that, regardless of its yaw direction? In other words, the pilot is using polar coordinates for flying in this mode?

Thanks in advance, greatly appreciate any clarification.

PS: I am flying an Inspire 1, there I have a 360° gimbal and operate the camera completely independently. There I understand how it works.
2018-1-24
Use props
FiLunder7
lvl.2
Russia

Mavic pro has two compass, and spark has one - much more "fly away" on spark side as a result. What about Mavic pro?
2018-1-24
Use props
fans980d1304
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Big question : are the style and color settings adjustable like the Mavic Pro? Does it have d-log?
2018-1-24
Use props
Ben Marsden
lvl.1
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 11:04
Look at it in real terms and ask yourself these questions: -

>Do you ever fill a 64gb Micro SD card everytime you head out and fly?

So I'm in a tricky position: I have a brand new DJI Mavic Pro, wondering whether I should sell it (I got it nice and cheapish so wouldn't lose too much) and get the Air? In terms of my needs, it would be my first drone, would primarily be in my backpack for extensive backpacking travelling I'm doing over the next year, with a focus on top-quality photos desired.

From what I can tell, the DJI Mavic Air shoots just as nice (if not nicer) photos in a lighter, smaller form, which would seem to complement my needs nicely. The internal storage, flying backwards, FHD and tiny speed boost are redundant to me, to be honest.

So that just leaves the transmission range, battery and noise. What are everyone's thoughts on the difference here? Should I consider these big pluses of the Mavic Pro, or just small perks (as I'm a total beginner and so not sure how much weight they should have on my decision)? Do people feel it would be worth changing drones in my position?

Thanks!
Ben
2018-1-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ben Marsden Posted at 2018-1-24 10:09
So I'm in a tricky position: I have a brand new DJI Mavic Pro, wondering whether I should sell it (I got it nice and cheapish so wouldn't lose too much) and get the Air? In terms of my needs, it would be my first drone, would primarily be in my backpack for extensive backpacking travelling I'm doing over the next year, with a focus on top-quality photos desired.

From what I can tell, the DJI Mavic Air shoots just as nice (if not nicer) photos in a lighter, smaller form, which would seem to complement my needs nicely. The internal storage, flying backwards, FHD and tiny speed boost are redundant to me, to be honest.

Why didn't you buy the Spark?
2018-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules