*Introducing Mavic Air*Adventure Unfolds
43412 180 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

Great, another drone added to the already bloated DJI Go 4 app.
2018-1-23
Use props
Adis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59665 ft
Greece

Mavic Air is different product line than Mavic Pro. I am sure that will see Mavic Pro 2 in about three to four months. It's like Apple's product line with Mac Book Pro and Mac Book Air.
2018-1-24
Use props
Adis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59665 ft
Greece

Mavic Air is different product line than Mavic Pro. I am sure that will see Mavic Pro 2 in about three to four months. It's like Apple's product line with Mac Book Pro and Mac Book Air.
2018-1-24
Use props
Mr Sparkle
lvl.4
Australia

Can Mavic Air launch from the hand like Spark? The power button is at the bottom, so it's likely no?
As a Spark owner, I'd rather buy a Mavic Pro for my 2nd drone. The range and battery life of Pro is better than Air, not to mention Occusync over Wifi. The way I see it: people who buy Mavic Air are those who can't decide between Spark and Mavic Pro. If you owned either, it's better to wait for future releases. By the pace DJI released their drones, I am sure we will have even better drones coming this year.
2018-1-24
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

bobsma Posted at 2018-1-23 16:18
really?  so a better camera than the Mavic Pro Platinum?

The mbps on the Mavic Air are much better than the ones on the Mavic PRO, equal to the ones on the P4P. That makes a big difference!
2018-1-24
Use props
Mauro's Films
Captain
Flight distance : 2883140 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

I didn't find any answer so i will ask it again: Does the Mavic Air have D-log color profile?
2018-1-24
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Mr Sparkle Posted at 2018-1-24 00:30
Can Mavic Air launch from the hand like Spark? The power button is at the bottom, so it's likely no?
As a Spark owner, I'd rather buy a Mavic Pro for my 2nd drone. The range and battery life of Pro is better than Air, not to mention Occusync over Wifi. The way I see it: people who buy Mavic Air are those who can't decide between Spark and Mavic Pro. If you owned either, it's better to wait for future releases. By the pace DJI released their drones, I am sure we will have even better drones coming this year.

For me the size difference is the key, a long with all new options. The Mavic Pro was almost bought but the air is much smaller making it even easier to carry when traveling. The camera quality is good enough for me and the Pro does not offer much more. The comparisons show better light handling with the Air....
2018-1-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

BumblerBee Posted at 2018-1-23 15:07
Next step: upward sensors to avoid those pesky trees sneaking up on you from above.

Yes i was wondering the same, all those sensors but none to safe it when creeping around low to earth and the connection drops ...
2018-1-24
Use props
simon1957
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187 ft
United States

I have the 3 pro this will be a nice addition just ordered on can’t wait to go on vacation
2018-1-24
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Guess we should be happy the Mavic Air doesn't look like my avatar.
2018-1-24
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Interesting reading, which i hope also Dji could read, allot of valid points here.
Start asking your customers what they want, and you will be on the right path.
https://www.atomphotodesign.com/ ... roves-dji-is-a-mess
2018-1-24
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Max tilt in sport mode is 35°
Max gimbal roll is 30°
FPV MODE IN SPORT MODE?
2018-1-24
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-23 11:59
Calm down cowboy, just messing with you.

But it was creepy.
2018-1-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, kinda.
2018-1-24
Use props
kRx md
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158914 ft
Philippines

Hmm. I wasn't aware a drone like this was coming when I bought my Spark 2nd week of Dec 2017. I got pretty excited with the Spark at its price point and its size. This Mavic Air is surely far superior to my Spark but at the rate DJI is releasing drone models, I'll wait for the 3.0 or 4.0 version of this Mavic Air, then get it.

It's important to discern whether there is a fundamental leap in technology forward with a new product introduction vs just adding more bells and whistles.  I remember when I got my 70D, it was for the new dual pixel CMOS AF. That is a fundamental leap forward. Now I haven't been long around in the drone world (i.e. less than 2 months), so I will leave the analysis to the experts and just watch around and learn.

PS.  I still have my Ipad mini1 today which turns 5 years old next month. It does all the things I need it to do except the "one" thing which is fly the Spark.
2018-1-24
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Does it have "Portrait Mode" like the Mavic Pro, where the sensor turns around to Portrait Orientation?
2018-1-24
Use props
lifeofpiluckan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131309 ft
South Africa

krisp-spark Posted at 2018-1-23 14:10
Totally agree with you. I also bought Spark two months ago and now regret not waiting for Mavic Air. I don't care about x km range, how many times do you go 7 km away anyway? For me, the 120 fps, 100mbps and three axis gimbal is so tempting because 2 axis on spark makes it so difficult to make smooth videos.

Some of the other features as well - the tap fly ability that the Spark doesn't have will help take your camera work to the next level as well without having to worry about the flying so much...
2018-1-24
Use props
lifeofpiluckan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131309 ft
South Africa

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-23 16:11
For $49 dollars more on Amazon than the price of a Mavic Air, you can get the Mavic Pro with a more robust radio link, remote with data screen, and dual compasses (maybe it has a dual IMU).  Less chance of someone's car stereo or GoPro jumping on your channel and shooting you down.  Or getting compass errors.

The Mavic Air is fills one more niche in the range of user needs.  I like the Spark because its video is great for my needs and it is very small so it doesn't bother people.  If I wanted a bigger drone, it would have to be a Mavic Pro or Phantom for their navigation, radio link, and the Phantom's camera.

Next logical upgrade for the Mavic Pro I feel is an upgrade of the camera sensor up to a 1inch sensor like the phantom.  Maybe your needs will be met in one drone in the not to distant future.  Weighing up the Pro or the Air as we speak as I had some trouble with my spark and it is being replaced so I was given the option of getting a new one or getting the credits towards another drone like the Pro or the Air...
2018-1-24
Use props
Cavids
lvl.3
United States

kRx md Posted at 2018-1-24 09:30
Hmm. I wasn't aware a drone like this was coming when I bought my Spark 2nd week of Dec 2017. I got pretty excited with the Spark at its price point and its size. This Mavic Air is surely far superior to my Spark but at the rate DJI is releasing drone models, I'll wait for the 3.0 or 4.0 version of this Mavic Air, then get it.

It's important to discern whether there is a fundamental leap in technology forward with a new product introduction vs just adding more bells and whistles.  I remember when I got my 70D, it was for the new dual pixel CMOS AF. That is a fundamental leap forward. Now I haven't been long around in the drone world (i.e. less than 2 months), so I will leave the analysis to the experts and just watch around and learn.

I have used my mini to fly my spark, why does yours not work?
2018-1-24
Use props
Cavids
lvl.3
United States

Mine is ordered my spark is now for sale!!!
2018-1-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Hey thanks! Glad I am not the only one thinking this way.
2018-1-24
Use props
emonty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1922224 ft
Netherlands

ordered!!!
2018-1-24
Use props
Dillon Drake
lvl.2

United States

how high can the mavic air fly?
2018-1-24
Use props
Drosti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62110 ft
Singapore

Any updates, or color controls to fix the awful, vintage-like colour output of the Mavic Air?

We can see in iJustin's comparison that her face looks like it went thru an Instagram filter, this is very unfortunate and  i'm regretting selling my spark,

I undresand that there is a LOG, and i can Grade the footage, but is there anyway to get a decent out-of-the box footage?
what are the color controls available?
THanks.
2018-1-24
Use props
Bschaef2166
New

United States

Never had a drone really want one would this be the better choice over Mavic Pro
2018-1-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

When will a manual be available?

A little disappointed that the bracketing (and guess HDR) is still limited to +/- 0.7ev like on the P4P, a adjustable bracketing for several ev's is needed.
2018-1-25
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Aero-Drone Imag Posted at 2018-1-23 08:03
Is it just me, or does this look like a Spark on steroids?

They should have named it "Spark Plus". Only thing it has in common with the Mavic is the folding design.
RC looks like the Spark's, no OcuSync, limited control range and battery life.
Before the launch I was worried my Mavic is gonna feel obsolete. I still like it better than the Mavic Air.
2018-1-25
Use props
Ste_427
lvl.4
Flight distance : 530692 ft
Italy

Ordered a copule of days ago, it fits perfectly my needs.
I really can’t wait for having it and trying it!
2018-1-25
Use props
Mishanki
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1240358 ft
Russia

Follow gimbal in sport?
2018-1-25
Use props
Brockford Fox
lvl.2
Flight distance : 474016 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a Mavic Air from DJI before the event in New York had even finished and that’s because of the camera.

I have a Mavic Pro and been pleased with it, it's a great quad...but, I've always been a little disappointed with the camera. I film in 4k to upload videos to YouTube (just a hobby https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpIEUvKdoUwtgrZB3Krka0A) and I can see from sample footage online of the Mavic Air the difference 100 Mbps makes.

This is why I bought the Mavic Air though:

- I want a UAV that is portable and has the best possible camera, the 100 Mbps in my opinion at 4k will deliver that over the Mavic Pro/Platinum.
- I honestly never use the entire battery when filming for my videos, probably 15-18 minutes of flight time (as I generally plan the shots I want) so a reduced battery time is not an issue for me
- Portability is high on my list, since owning the Mavic Pro I've flown in far more places I never would with my P4P, taking it on foot and bike so a smaller, lighter more compact packaged sounds great
- I've never had much of an issue with the gimbal on my Mavic Pro but in high winds when yawing I've noticed some 'wobble', the Mavic Air gimbal is more compact and advanced which can only be a good thing.
- I do use the LCD screen on the remote of the Mavic Pro a bit for EV levels but that's about it, so losing it on the Mavic Air is not an issue for me.
- Range of a couple of miles...I've never flown my Mavic Pro over 1mile away...lets be honest, in the UK you should have sight of your UAV at all times so this is not an issue for me either.
- Occusync is excellent, although if you're using the screen to frame up shots then ultra high clarity and stability is great but not essential. I'm pretty sure the link between the Mavic Air and controller at no more than 1 mile away will be solid. If however you are using your quad for military style operations where stability is essential...!
- Cheaper batteries and accessories - the cost of batteries for DJI products, IMO, is high. The lower the price of batteries the better.

I try not to think about new products as a Mavic Mini or Spark Pro etc, etc…it’s just a quad with certain features that you either think work for you or they don’t.

Well done DJI for what I'm sure is going to be another great product!
2018-1-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-1-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Seem to be an error in the FAQ on store page at the Batteries section:

mavic_air_faq.png

or at least i don't get it
2018-1-25
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Would love to take this new baby for a test drive and see how it's better than my Spark.  Let's hope i get approved for the Test Drive offer.
2018-1-25
Use props
Brockford Fox
lvl.2
Flight distance : 474016 ft
United Kingdom

If you're looking for a comprehensive review of the camera and lot's of test footage and photos I've just watched Tom's video here:

Yes there is full manual control of the camera

Cheers.
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI User0590
New

Myanmar

Good device
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI User0590
New

Myanmar

Good device
2018-1-25
Use props
Mauro's Films
Captain
Flight distance : 2883140 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Do you have a screenshot to prove that? This is an very important info!
2018-1-25
Use props
fans0f663ef1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355689 ft
Canada

Kind of disappointing that this is priced lower than the mavic pro when the only substantial features of the mavic pro that beat out the mavic air are improved battery life and range, and really you should not be flying your drone anywhere near the range of the mavic air to begin with. Also the mavic air is superior to the mavic pro in an important area, the bitrate of the camera maxing out at 100mbps as opposed to 60mbps for the mavic pro
2018-1-25
Use props
Aero-Drone Imag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

EranR Posted at 2018-1-25 01:11
They should have named it "Spark Plus". Only thing it has in common with the Mavic is the folding design.
RC looks like the Spark's, no OcuSync, limited control range and battery life.
Before the launch I was worried my Mavic is gonna feel obsolete. I still like it better than the Mavic Air.

Agreed! I would much rather have my Mavic Pro over the Air. I really don't see the big deal...
2018-1-25
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
Flight distance : 299459 ft
United States

Adis Posted at 2018-1-24 00:04

This is true and funny considering that they're stuff is sold in the Apple store. I'm not sure why everybody is mad as if DJI personally attacked them by releasing this. Great drone that is trying to fit in between different ecosystems that already exist. I'm sure the other series will see sequels in due time that'll be amazing.
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules