phantom 3 time-lapse
16053 17 2015-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andilama
lvl.2

Italy

hi for the phantom 3, the shot in time-lapse . how many seconds the picture is taken ? what choices selectable ?               

2015-4-24
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

5s,7s, 10s, 20s, 30s.
2015-4-24
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Meh.

1s would be good: means 10 mins of flying is condensed into 25 secs.
2015-4-26
Use props
andilama
lvl.2

Italy

2 seconds is not possible ?
2015-4-27
Use props
jimrutt
lvl.1

United States

5secs as the fastest time lapsed photo speed is disappointing.  It was 3secs on the Phanton 2 Vision as I recall, and is like .5sec on the GoPro3.  Seems an odd product management choice.   For lots of real world applications short shot interval  is important.

2015-6-7
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Press and hold the shutter-button on the Pilot app. A small semi-circular gizmo will appear. Starting from the top, the options are:

Single Shot
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Burst Mode (3, 5 or 7 shots in a row)
AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) choice of 3 or 5 photos
Timer - choice of 5s, 7s, 10s, 20s, or 30s

Touching the space where the shutter-button was will remove this little menu and the shutter-button will become visible again.

WARNING: Whatever mode you choose - that will remain in effect as long as the Pilot app is running, or until you re-open this little menu and execute another option. Don't ask me how I know this! LOL

Can't tell you the number of times I monkeyed with the timer while testing. Every 7 seconds the shutter would go off and I would scratch my head - "...why the devil is it taking pictures..." until it finally dawned on me that it was only doing what I told it to do!

To add insult to injury, if I remember correctly, you could actually choose the burst mode, select 5 pictures, then set 7s on the timer - and, yep, every 7 seconds you're going to get a burst mode of 5 pictures. Since your Phantom is in the air while this is going on, it's probably not what you really wanted. If you're truly doing something like a time lapse, you probably want to be hovering as quietly and carefully as possible.
2015-6-8
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

jimrutt@gmail.c Posted at 2015-6-8 08:38
5secs as the fastest time lapsed photo speed is disappointing.  It was 3secs on the Phanton 2 Vision ...

If you own the P3pro you can shoot  4k and have an 8 MP photo taken every 1/30st second. (Not raw ofcourse)
2015-6-8
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

giant Posted at 2015-6-8 23:25
If you own the P3pro you can shoot  4k and have an 8 MP photo taken every 1/30st second. (Not raw  ...

Hi giant,

Can you prove your statement: "(...) and have an 8 MP photo taken every 1/30st second. (Not raw ofcourse)"
2015-6-8
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

isaache Posted at 2015-6-9 03:56
Hi giant,

Can you prove your statement: "(...) and have an 8 MP photo taken every 1/30st second.  ...

Nothing to prove there.  Just take a 4k video at 30 fps. fropm your subject. Choose any frame you like for an 8 MP picture.  (UHD is 3840 x 2160 = 8,3 megapixel.)
I printed several 4k videoframes on DIN A4 with a very good result!  This can only be done with a Phantom 3 pro.
2015-6-8
Use props
jimrutt
lvl.1

United States

giant Posted at 2015-6-9 04:16
Nothing to prove there.  Just take a 4k video at 30 fps. fropm your subject. Choose any frame you ...

Thanks, Giant, a  good work around.  
2015-6-8
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

msjh Posted at 2015-4-27 01:07
Meh.

1s would be good: means 10 mins of flying is condensed into 25 secs.

Wouldn't 1s per minute come out to 60 seconds of video? Not 25 seconds?
2015-6-16
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

modestbrandon Posted at 2015-6-17 07:40
Wouldn't 1s per minute come out to 60 seconds of video? Not 25 seconds?

1s per shot means 10 minutes = 600 secs = 600 shots.

At 24 frames per second that's 25 seconds of film.
2015-6-19
Use props
dwain.christens
lvl.1
United States

So I'm guessing the best way to get true quality time-lapse with the Ph3Pro is to edit full video is some sort of video editting software. i.e. Adobe Premere...
2015-7-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

msjh Posted at 2015-6-19 20:24
1s per shot means 10 minutes = 600 secs = 600 shots.

At 24 frames per second that's 25 seconds of ...

Okay, you guys are throwing out numbers like a game of gossip - things are changing faster than a speeding bullet.

Several posters started using 1 second and the calculations seemed to go berserk from there. There is NOT a 1 second option for the time lapse - 5 seconds is the quickest available time-lapse photo. So....

1 picture every 5 seconds equates to:
12 pictures every minute
120 pictures in 10 mins
180 pictures in 15 minutes.
240 pictures in 20 minutes.

If you're taking a time-lapse series of photos, you're going to have to be hovering, so you may be able to get 20 minutes out of your battery without crashing. So, now that you have your pictures captured and your battery is too low to continue, what do you have?

240 pictures played at 24 fps gets you 10 seconds of "movie."
240 pictures played at 30 fps gets you a whopping 8 seconds of play time.

Makes me highly doubt the "value" of a time-lapse with the Phantom. Unless you're just looking specifically for some potentially changing "single" shots, there won't be much to look at. If you expand the time from 5 seconds to 10 seconds, you're only left with 120 pictures in the 20 minutes flight.

As a non-time-lapse type of guy, someone would have to explain to me the value of this function. By contrast, if you have something like a conventional camera (or a GoPro) with external power, you can leave the camera there for several hours and get some really interesting video. But, again, a platform that can only "hang around" for about 20 minutes.....

2015-7-17
Use props
EnviroIntel
New

United States

How do you get 5 second delay? i only see 10, 20, and 30 options with the DJI Phantom 3 Proffesional
2016-1-21
Use props
FlyByNorway
lvl.1

Norway

Yeah, where did the 5 and 7s options go?
2016-1-28
Use props
dbehr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18990 ft
Israel

Hi, For generating Orthophoto or mapping a Time-lapse of 3S is a requirement. In the P2V+ there was a minimum of 3S - I am suprised DJI didn't maintain this required low time-lapse (as in the P2V+). Of course in the Gopro , you can go down until 0.5 S. I think it is only a software issue for DJI to correct ! Otherwise you have to use external applications such as DroneDeploy or Pix4D Capture.
2016-5-9
Use props
westley.skillma
New

Guam

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-17 23:13
Okay, you guys are throwing out numbers like a game of gossip - things are changing faster than a  ...

aburkefl: The value of the short duration time lapse shots are those cool photos you see where the lights look like streaks down a street from watching a car drive by. There are also some other very cool effects you can get in low level light by using the time lapse functions. Its called light painting. My daughter loves to wave a flashlight around in a pattern or word and the effect is really neat. Look it up and give it a try sometime it is great fun!
2016-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules