Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
1 million $$ question for newbies
123Next >
3391 80 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
slimharry
Second Officer

Canada

Now that they announced the new drone and i own no drone. what should i get with the fly more combo?

Mavic Pro
Mavic Pro Platinum
Mavic Air

Thanks for guiding me on the right path.

Single SelectVote, Total 153 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-23
Use props
TruGreen
Captain
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic pro and Platinum are basically the same, although Platinum has new ESC and props to give 30min flight time over the Pro 27min (they claim)
Having owned the Mavic Pro I would suggest either Pro or Platinum and Pass on the Air which has less flight time and less range
2018-1-23
Use props
Bulldog
First Officer
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Agree with everything TruGreen said
I voted #2, but also think #1 is great. #3 is last choice.
2018-1-23
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stick with the pro or platinum I owned both (sold the pro for the platinum) and the best platrform for the mavic the air is a downgrade.
2018-1-23
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

If your starting off, MA
2018-1-23
Use props
slimharry
Second Officer

Canada

I can't afford more than one drone. It has to be one or the other. If i buy one now, I won't be able to spend more money before 2-3 years.

My first choice is the Mavic Pro as well. With the price of the MA being so close to the pro, I don't think its realistic to think that DJI will do a sale on the Mavic Pro retailing at 1299 for the fly more combo.
2018-1-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can’t lose with options 1&2.
2018-1-23
Use props
TruGreen
Captain
  • >>>
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-1-23 08:18
I can't afford more than one drone. It has to be one or the other. If i buy one now, I won't be able to spend more money before 2-3 years.

My first choice is the Mavic Pro as well. With the price of the MA being so close to the pro, I don't think its realistic to think that DJI will do a sale on the Mavic Pro retailing at 1299 for the fly more combo.

can always buy used, or look at local stores. I know Costco here has the Pro for like $899 on sale sometimes. I got mine like new with fly more combo for $750
2018-1-23
Use props
Bigga J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Best of all worlds from the three mentioned by the OP is the MP in fly more combo.
2018-1-23
Use props
slimharry
Second Officer

Canada

TruGreen Posted at 2018-1-23 08:24
can always buy used, or look at local stores. I know Costco here has the Pro for like $899 on sale sometimes. I got mine like new with fly more combo for $750

How so low?

In Quebec canada, the price point is 1649.00 + tx so 1895$ with taxes...thats 1520 USD$$ !!!
2018-1-23
Use props
TruGreen
Captain
  • >>>
United States

slimharry Posted at 2018-1-23 08:46
How so low?

In Quebec canada, the price point is 1649.00 + tx so 1895$ with taxes...thats 1520 USD$$ !!!

Found somebody selling used. No crashes, had like 15-20 flights on it. He just wanted it gone. so I got lucky.
Like I said Used is always an option and find deals. I search Craigslist a lot just looking. Can try the same with Kijiji and see for you
2018-1-23
Use props
Yunior
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the MP and sold it to get the MPP. Best decision I made. If you are on a tight budget, get the MP as it is still a good buy. But if you can spend a little extra, get the MPP. The MPP is much quit in the sense that the sound is not as annoying as the MP. I don't know how to describe it, the sound is truly a bit quit and the noise itself is different. Way less annoying. The motors do have less rpm's when hovering which if it means anything, should have less stress on the motors compared to MP. And I did notice about 2 min longer in flight time.

Either way, MP or MPP will not be a bad decision.

But whatever you do, don't got for the new Mavic Air. You will just waste your money. If you want something like the Mavic Air, get the Spark.
2018-1-23
Use props
slimharry
Second Officer

Canada

Yunior Posted at 2018-1-23 08:50
I had the MP and sold it to get the MPP. Best decision I made. If you are on a tight budget, get the MP as it is still a good buy. But if you can spend a little extra, get the MPP. The MPP is much quit in the sense that the sound is not as annoying as the MP. I don't know how to describe it, the sound is truly a bit quit and the noise itself is different. Way less annoying. The motors do have less rpm's when hovering which if it means anything, should have less stress on the motors compared to MP. And I did notice about 2 min longer in flight time.

Either way, MP or MPP will not be a bad decision.

Very useful info, thanks.

Let's just pray a sale on the Platinum.
2018-1-23
Use props
CycleParadise
Captain
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

It really comes down to what you want to use it for. If you're looking for something smaller, portable, the Mavic Air would probably be the way to go. However, if you're looking for more flight time, Mavic Pro Platinum would be the one.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've owned the Mavic Pro and Spark and now own the Mavic Platinum along with the Phantom 4 Pro. As much as I rate the Mavic Pro Platinum (which does add 3 minutes flight time and is a lot quieter) as a first time buyer the Mavic Air looks great to learn on and is the cheapest flymore option. I would buy the Air if I didn't own a drone before. You better be quick if you want it though LOL
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

DONT start out with a powerful quadcopter like the mavic. Really bad idea.
2018-1-23
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 09:58

Powerful?  Uh, beginner mode.
2018-1-23
Use props
slimharry
Second Officer

Canada

I would use it smartly for sure if it really is powerful!

I'm travelling to iceland this april, lots of open land to shoot and is very newbie friendly
2018-1-23
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

slimharry Posted at 2018-1-23 10:06
I would use it smartly for sure if it really is powerful!

I'm travelling to iceland this april, lots of open land to shoot and is very newbie friendly

Just watch out for the wind, It's not  always friendly.
2018-1-23
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

It mostly depends on what you plan to do with it. The Mavic Air looks like a good choice both money-wise and because of the rear obstacle sensors, lots of new folks crash flying backward.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-23 10:00
Powerful?  Uh, beginner mode.

Not just powerful. It's a semi-professional quadcopter that can cause some real damage if it drops from the sky or crashes into something.

I think we can all agree that noobs should start with cheaper quadcopters before hopping directly into DJI drones
2018-1-23
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.4
United States

The mavic pro got me into drones.If you have a clue and like the mp get it.
2018-1-23
Use props
Vincent.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

Why not ? Honestly it is very easy to fly, and as long as you use common sense and try to learn slowly, I don't think you should waste 200-300€ to 'test' if anyway you know you will end up buying one of the Mavic
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 10:46
Not just powerful. It's a semi-professional quadcopter that can cause some real damage if it drops from the sky or crashes into something.

I think we can all agree that noobs should start with cheaper quadcopters before hopping directly into DJI drones

Really? I don't agree with that in the slightest and I'll tell you why.
My first drone was a propel - it was like trying to fly a piece of paper but it did flips LOL I crashed it into the top of a 30' tree 5 days after paying £99 for it and it was never to be seen again.
I've since owned several DJI drones over the years from the Spark to the P4P and every Mavic in-between and have never even lost a prop flying any of them over thousands of miles.
As long as somebody reads the manual and takes their time researching and starts out in beginner mode with small steps in an open area (common sense) entry level DJI drones are, IMO, the best, safest and easiest to fly camera platforms to learn on.
This Mavic Air with 3 directions of OA, GPS, the latest flight autonomy, RTH etc etc is ideal. They coin the phrase 'powerful' because of it's core processors and technology BTW - not because of the size of it's motors... This drone weighs less than 500g...
2018-1-23
Use props
slimharry
Second Officer

Canada

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-23 11:50
Why not ? Honestly it is very easy to fly, and as long as you use common sense and try to learn slowly, I don't think you should waste 200-300€ to 'test' if anyway you know you will end up buying one of the Mavic

Good point. And honestly i spent the past month just watching countless hours of youtube tutorials and reading everything i can in the forum.

I think i'm mentally prepared to have a drone and only use it to its full capacity ones i master the controls.

I think the mavic pro is the best option, I wont buy 2 drones, and i feel like the mavic air is limited in terms of what the MP can do..
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-23 11:50
Why not ? Honestly it is very easy to fly, and as long as you use common sense and try to learn slowly, I don't think you should waste 200-300€ to 'test' if anyway you know you will end up buying one of the Mavic

Not talking about 200-300 dollars drone, just a tiny 20 dollars to learn the basics.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 11:59
Really? I don't agree with that in the slightest and I'll tell you why.
My first drone was a propel - it was like trying to fly a piece of paper but it did flips LOL I crashed it into the top of a 30' tree 5 days after paying £99 for it and it was never to be seen again.
I've since owned several DJI drones over the years from the Spark to the P4P and every Mavic in-between and have never even lost a prop flying any of them over thousands of miles.

I use the word powerful because the aircraft uses brushless motors and ascends at more than 16 meters per second. Just fyi, the mavic weight about 730 grams not 500 grams

Maybe you're right, I haven't seen statistics but I see a LOT of DJI drones crashes on the Internet. Most of them are pilots error that an advanced pilot wouldn't have done. Brushless motors can cause some real damage like the case where a noob slashed a toddler's eye with his Phantom.

We really shouldn't rely on OA and think it will save noobs from crashing.  Obstacle avoidance is far from reliable.  
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 13:37
I use the word powerful because the aircraft uses brushless motors and ascends at more than 16 meters per second. Just fyi, the mavic weight about 730 grams not 500 grams

Maybe you're right, I haven't seen statistics but I see a LOT of DJI drones crashes on the Internet. Most of them are pilots error that an advanced pilot wouldn't have done. Brushless motors can cause some real damage like the case where a noob slashed a toddler's eye with his Phantom.

Well, firstly the Mavic AIR ascends at TWO metres per second and weighs 430g looking at DJI's official specs. Not even the 4KG Inspire 2 ascends at 16m/s!

As I said, for a responsible person who takes the time out to properly learn, DJI drones are perfect for noobs.

And my P3P which I leant to fly on didn't even have OA - and I still never crashed that. OA has, however, saved my drones on several occasions where a toy would have crashed. Not to be relied on 100% but not to be discounted as an invaluable addition to flight safety either.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 13:46
Well, firstly the Mavic AIR ascends at TWO metres per second and weighs 430g looking at DJI's official specs. Not even the 4KG Inspire 2 ascends at 16m/s!

As I said, for a responsible person who takes the time out to properly learn, DJI drones are perfect for noobs.

I thought we were talking about the Mavic PRO because that's what the OP is getting. Official specs say that Mavic PRO ascends at 16.4 meters per second in SPORT mode. Obviously the specs are in the best conditions, but it still shows that the Mavic is powerful

For you, the Phantom was a perfect learning tool. You're not everyone though, and hundreds if not thousands of noobs crashed their DJI on the first month.

2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 13:55
I thought we were talking about the Mavic PRO because that's what the OP is getting. Official specs say that Mavic PRO ascends at 16.4 meters per second in SPORT mode. Obviously the specs are in the best conditions, but it still shows that the Mavic is powerful

For you, the Phantom was a perfect learning tool. You're not everyone though, and hundreds if not thousands of noobs crashed their DJI on the first month.

Not it doesn't state max ascent speed for the Mavic Pro is 16.4m/s - I've owned all 3 Mavics and none of them reach 400' AGL at >36MPH... This is taken from the DJI Specs of the original Mavic that shows the true speeds - FIVE m/s in Sport mode...

Max Ascent Speed        16.4 ft/s (5 m/s) in Sport mode
Max Descent Speed        9.8 ft/s (3 m/s)
Think you got feet and metres mixed up there!

No, I'm not everyone but I do obviously base my opinion on my personal experience as an everyday guy who simply bought a drone, did my research and learnt how to fly it - rather than generalising. I'm pleased only hundreds have crashed in your observations from the MILLIONS of units sold - thats a ratio of less than 1% of owners.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 14:13
Not it doesn't state max ascent speed for the Mavic Pro is 16.4m/s - I've owned all 3 Mavics and none of them reach 400' AGL at >36MPH... This is taken from the DJI Specs of the original Mavic that shows the true speeds - FIVE m/s in Sport mode...

Max Ascent Speed        16.4 ft/s (5 m/s) in Sport mode

Oops you're right about the ascent speed. I'm used to MPH, pardon me for my ignorance.

A toy can't kill people, a Phantom can. Hundreds/thousands of Phantoms are falling of the sky each year, and I can assure you that somebody will die at some point. If noobs could stick to toys we wouldn't have this problem.

2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 14:18
Oops you're right about the ascent speed. I'm used to MPH, pardon me for my ignorance.

A toy can't kill people, a Phantom can. Hundreds/thousands of Phantoms are falling of the sky each year, and I can assure you that somebody will die at some point. If noobs could stick to toys we wouldn't have this problem.

Hundreds and thousands of Phantoms falling everywhere eh? Seriously mate - from a man who thinks his Mavic ascends faster than it flies forward... I think I've said all I need to on this one. Take care!
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 14:22
Hundreds and thousands of Phantoms falling everywhere eh? Seriously mate - from a man who thinks his Mavic ascends faster than it flies forward... I think I've said all I need to on this one. Take care!

That's not what I said . I said that hundreds and POSSIBLY thousands of Phantoms fall from the sky each year. Phantoms have only been out for a few years and with millions of unit sold, I am SURE that there are at least hundreds of them crashing each year Anyone with minimum common sense would say the same.

I had no idea what m/s converts to in MPH, just that it's quick. I thought that's what I saw in the manual but turns out it was FEET/s. Simple mistake right there.

You are right, we shouldn't argue. I am not gonna waste my time with someone that cherry pick and insists that noobs should learn with thousand dollars drones! Take care with your flock of self-flown robots!
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 14:32
That's not what I said . I said that hundreds and POSSIBLY thousands of Phantoms fall from the sky each year. Phantoms have only been out for a few years and with millions of unit sold, I am SURE that there are at least hundreds of them crashing each year  Anyone with minimum common sense would say the same.

Read back on your post number 31 - you state 'hundreds/thousands - the word 'possibly' was not written. Stop moving your goal posts.

Words like sure, may be, possibly are all very subjective and totally unquantified to the extend that unless you provide official stats then it's more your perception than the reality. I learnt to fly on a P3P with no problems - I recommend anyone to learn on a Mavic Pro or Mavic Air based on my experience - super safe and easy to fly - unlike the toys you advise that frankly teach very little when you upgrade to a proper drone anyway.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 14:39
Read back on your post number 31 - you state 'hundreds/thousands - the word 'possibly' was not written. Stop moving your goal posts.

Words like sure, may be, possibly are all very subjective and totally unquantified to the extend that unless you provide official stats then it's more your perception than the reality. I learnt to fly on a P3P with no problems - I recommend anyone to learn on a Mavic Pro or Mavic Air based on my experience - super safe and easy to fly - unlike the toys you advise that frankly teach very little when you upgrade to a proper drone anyway.

Hundreds/thousands implies that I'm not sure, but let's not argue about that part because we both won't change our minds.

Is the Phantom easy to fly? Yes. Can a beginner use it? Yes. No matter how easy it is to fly, I  still don't want a noob flying a 3 pounds drone over people's head at 400 feets in the air.

2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 14:49
Hundreds/thousands implies that I'm not sure, but let's not argue about that part because we both won't change our minds.

If the 'noob' did his/her research like I did then they'd know that they shouldn't be flying within 50M of people in the first place. And when do you consider someone not a noob and to have your permission to buy the drone they want? What about a 430g drone - thats less than a pound in weight? You know, the Mavic Air that you also state nobody should learn on as it's too powerful ascending at 16m/s LOL
2018-1-23
Use props
HyLenz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I've had several friends go out and buy MP after seeing how easy it is to fly. On a couple occasions, in the right situation, i have launched, taken a short flight, landed, and handed the controller to friends who have never flown. With a couple quick instructions, switch to beginner mode, they are able to takeoff, fly a little, shoot a couple pics and a short video, and then land. They are instantly hooked. And i was comfortable letting a noob take my MP for a flight.

Wasn't something like "Mavic lets you concentrate on photos because it's so easy to fly" one of the tag lines when it was released? I think it's a perfect noob drone. In fact, these days all DJI consumer drones are pretty easy to fly.
2018-1-23
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-23 14:54
If the 'noob' did his/her research like I did then they'd know that they shouldn't be flying within 50M of people in the first place. And when do you consider someone not a noob and to have your permission to buy the drone they want? What about a 430g drone - thats less than a pound in weight? You know, the Mavic Air that you also state nobody should learn on as it's too powerful ascending at 16m/s LOL

You have my permission if you have a minimum of compassion, a minimum of common sense, a minimum of knowledge about rules and regulations,  and have flown a cheap quad or other RC before.
2018-1-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-23 15:04
You have my permission if you have a minimum of compassion, a minimum of common sense, a minimum of knowledge about rules and regulations,  and have flown a cheap quad or other RC before.

What if I bought a second hand phantom 1 that still flies and is offered to me for £30 - thats really cheap and I have common sense, read all the manuals, researched the FAA thoroughly - hell, I've even got a degree - What then?
2018-1-23
Use props
Brian88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

If compact travel is absolutely essential, get the Air. If not the Platinium provides the longest battery life for those epic shots. However, if the quality of the image is of utmost importance, skip the Mavic and go with the P4P.
2018-1-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules