Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Refirb RC disconnect / Crash / Horrid DJI care
1714 12 2018-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robstunner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41483 ft
United States

Hello,

So recently I purchased a DJI Mavic Pro Refurb from NewEgg. I figured since it was sold from DJI official, it would be OK. Boy was I wrong.

Long story short, I was flying the Mavic on Christmas day outside my in law's cabin (wide open area for taking off and landing). As I was flying around landing it manually, the RC disconnected from the Mavic at no more than 3 meters away from me. RTH was pinpointed at 13m away from the drone according to the flight log they sent me. The RC disconnect was out of the blue, without any signal intereference warnings or issues (also confirmed by flight log). The Mavic then held position, stopped about 12ft above me, stopped again, then FLEW AWAY from RTH by about 20ft. It then hovered there for a little bit and flew right into the trees. Destroyed the gimbal and all rotors. I send it in to Newegg and DJI for refund and they refused to refund my purchased. They are saying that It is MY fault the controller disconnected from the drone, triggering RTH under trees. While I wont lie, I was NEAR the trees, the drone flew underneath the trees on it's own when it disconnected. Not only is it DJI's fault for the disconnection from RC issue, but also for flying the wrong way from RTH, to get to RTH. For DJI to blame me for the fault is an abosolute ridiculous claim.

RTH crash FLY075 1.      Unit took off with normal GPS signal, unit was responsive. 2.      At t=513s, unit lost RC connection and triggered RTH when unit was 13m away from home location

That it literally what they sent me about the drone log. #3 was crash reported after RTH.

After mulitple phone calls and even Newegg trying to push a refund in siding with me, DJI still refuses. They stand by their claim that my drone crash was caused "by user error." Looking further into it, I noticed that ALL the 1 star reviews on the Newegg Mavic Refurb website have to deal with problems with them being refurbs. I do not have the only crash complaint on there. It is absolutely insane to completely discredit your customer when there are plenty of more people, unhappily, who are dealing with similar issues. I do plan on filiing a formal compaint with the Illinois Attorney General's Office as well as the BBB although BBB isnt what they once were with customer help. Does / Can anyone have any similar complaints or suggestions on what I could do?

2018-1-23
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

So you are out of the 30 day window w/ Newegg?
If NewEgg is authorized seller, did you purchase the care/refresh from DJI?, might help the sting a bit????
2018-1-23
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-1-23 11:11
So you are out of the 30 day window w/ Newegg?
If NewEgg is authorized seller, did you purchase the care/refresh from DJI?, might help the sting a bit????

Actually no, I created a claim on Newegg and dji sent me an RMA the next day (12/26) however, on 1/13 Newegg sent me another RMA saying my claim was approved and to sent it to their own RMA. After trying to figure out what's going on, I found out that both RMA numbers still went to the same address, however dji was never supposed to issue their own RMA. After about a week of trying to get someone competent, I still have no real answer as to if the issue was corrected. Newegg did email me today to tell me that dji is refusing a refund. I'm still waiting on another manager "Jason" at dji to call me back because on his computer, there are "zero notes" accompanied with their RMA. It's a total cluster. I've got emails from other DJI reps and newegg stating that I won't get refunded though. I didn't get care refresh I was going to get State farm insurance on it after the holidays since they'd be closed.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Robstunner, we are so sorry for the crash accident, may I have the RMA case number which starts with CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxxx? I will help to check more details and make it clear for you, thank you.
2018-1-23
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

CAS-1288668-N1P0K2

While I could very much so understand the reasoning for refusing refund I'm getting if I truely was underneath the trees, I was not. When RTH triggered, it was not under trees. The only time it went under trees is when RC disconnected after RTH was triggered. Instead of just going to elevation like the instructions state, the drone flew the other way probably about 20ft, in the exact opposite direction. Then it went to elevation where it met trees. I refuse to admit I'm a full fault here. RC disconnect is no fault of my own (especially at less than 5ft away), and secondly neither is RTH triggering and the drone going the opposite direction. Niether of my complaints have been addressed or explained. All I keep getting from dji is promises of phone calls back that don't happen, and reasons for refusal without answering my concerns. Ijust thought DJI would have a little more heart, especially since I went out a few days after Xmas (which the crash happened) and bought an alpine edition mavic pro.
2018-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Robstunner Posted at 2018-1-23 19:52
CAS-1288668-N1P0K2

While I could very much so understand the reasoning for refusing refund I'm getting if I truely was underneath the trees, I was not. When RTH triggered, it was not under trees. The only time it went under trees is when RC disconnected after RTH was triggered. Instead of just going to elevation like the instructions state, the drone flew the other way probably about 20ft, in the exact opposite direction. Then it went to elevation where it met trees. I refuse to admit I'm a full fault here. RC disconnect is no fault of my own (especially at less than 5ft away), and secondly neither is RTH triggering and the drone going the opposite direction. Niether of my complaints have been addressed or explained. All I keep getting from dji is promises of phone calls back that don't happen, and reasons for refusal without answering my concerns. Ijust thought DJI would have a little more heart, especially since I went out a few days after Xmas (which the crash happened) and bought an alpine edition mavic pro.

Robstunner, thanks for your input, we apologize again for the unpleasant experience with our support, I have escalated the case to appropriate department to double check the data, we will have someone to contact you after analysis and make it clear for you, your patience would be appreciated.
2018-1-23
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-23 23:13
Robstunner, thanks for your input, we apologize again for the unpleasant experience with our support, I have escalated the case to appropriate department to double check the data, we will have someone to contact you after analysis and make it clear for you, your patience would be appreciated.

Thanks for doing that, however it already sounds like they did that and they still wont budge. Maybe a 3rd time will help though.
2018-1-24
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Mindy:

I just got off the phone with one of your Management team members. It seems that without having anything more than my word, it will be unlikely for me to be refunded. I just wanted to give you what I just emailed him, here it is:

Hello,

I had trouble finding how to upload my flight data for the specific date, but I was able to upload all of them. The flight in question is Fanin County 12/25/2017. The username should be the same as the email I am contacting you with, xxxxxxx@gmail.com.

I just wanted to reiterate a few points:

#1. The drone disconnected on its own from within 5ft away from the controller. I took it off without any warnings or indications that would suggest I should worry about an RC disconnect. I am sure you could understand, and confirm, that RC disconnects at a short distance should not be expected, especially when there was not signal interference issues.

#2. I fully understand how RTH works. Your official response to my claim denial states "user error" due to "user not understanding how RTH works." I full understand that at the time of an RC disconnect that RTH would trigger. While I again will not deny it, I was CLOSE to the trees (I wasn't under them), the drone did fly nearly 20ft AWAY from RTH, before ascending to what I would assume would have been the RTH altitude I set of 65m. I set it to that height as the trees in that area are very tall. The drone moving that far back put it not just under the trees, but over the patio of the house. As you can see in the flight data, the Drone always had more than 11 GPS satellites it has access to so there is no reason for that drone to be going backwards (or away from RTH). There is no way that "user error" would cause the drone to fly away from RTH before ascending, nothing in the manual states that this would happen. Furthermore, "user" is void when the RC disconnect renders anything the user could do pointless as the controller stops working.

#3. I did not have local video cache enabled as It was encouraged to turn that feature off to get the DJI Go 4 app to be more responsive and avoid crashes.

I hope this information can help my case. Again, I spent $1,150 on a Mavic Pro Alpine Combo a few days later as I like the product. It just seems that refurbished units may have a history of reliability issues that I myself have faced. If you look at all the 1 star reviews on Newegg, they are all based on problematic issues specifically with refurb units. I have flow my (brand new) Alpine a few times now and I have not had a problem with it.

Thanks
Robert
2018-1-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-1-24 16:42
Mindy:

I just got off the phone with one of your Management team members. It seems that without having anything more than my word, it will be unlikely for me to be refunded. I just wanted to give you what I just emailed him, here it is:

I sympathize with your situation. The designated team will keep follow up the case and update for you. We’ll keep an eye on it as well.
2018-1-24
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

I was made aware today that dji will not be changing their stance on the claim. While I entirely disagree, I have nothing else to do. Dji will not answer my questions specifically as to why the drone flew away from RTH before acending and why it disconnected from the controller from such a short distance. It is absolutely a shame. Dji has lost support from not only myself, but many in my community who own and fly drones. I will have to accept the damaged drone back as there's no other option, however please be aware that I will make it my mission to share my story with every person, social media post and tweet that dji will have. The community has a right to know of the terrible support dji provides to their "customers."
2018-1-30
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Please remove this thread from "service" and back into the open community. Either that, or I'll make a new one.

Thanks.
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Robstunner Posted at 2018-1-30 09:27
Please remove this thread from "service" and back into the open community. Either that, or I'll make a new one.

Thanks.

We noted you have started a new case, since your complaint is related to service and it will be more inconvenient for us to keep following up your complaint in Service Forum, and other users can also check the post.
Thor has replied your new thread, please keep us updated there, thank you.
2018-1-31
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

No, you guys just don't want the negative PR in the open. What a damn joke. First you deny me a proper warranty claim, then you Stonewall me and now you're hiding the story. I am dedicating part of every single day to share my story with every dji social media post. This is absurd.
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules