battery LiCoO₂ instead of LiPo - why?
1775 6 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Hello everybody,

just recognized that the Mavic Air battery is made by LiCoO₂ cells instead of LiPo, which were used for the Mavic Pro and Spark.
battery_comparison.png

I know the LiPos are more relyable and are more compact than the normal Li-Ion (LiCoO₂) cells. LiCoO₂ tend to have a thermal runaway when overloaded. Bad examples are the burning batteries of the Boing 787 which were all over the news.

Now I'm a little concerned after buying the Mavic Air, that there will be battery issues like shutting down through overheating. Can anyone calm me down and tell my why they changed it, please.

2018-1-24
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Could be a due to the 8 % increased energy/weight ratio in the LiCoCO2's
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-24 05:52
Could be a due to the 8 % increased energy/weight ratio in the LiCOCO2's

Maybe they needed that 8% real bad considering that Mavic Air already has awful flight time compared to Mavic
2018-1-24
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 06:19
Maybe they needed that 8% real bad considering that Mavic Air already has awful flight time compared to Mavic

maybe...
by the way, I don't see the Mavic Air as a successor of the Mavic Pro. I'm seeing it more like a drone closing the gap bewtween the spark and Mavic Pro, or you can call it the Spark Pro IMHO.
I think there will be Mavic Pro 2 this year. Anyway, back to topic
2018-1-24
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

iceman#1 Posted at 2018-1-24 06:37
maybe...
by the way, I don't see the Mavic Air as a successor of the Mavic Pro. I'm seeing it more like a drone closing the gap bewtween the spark and Mavic Pro, or you can call it the Spark Pro IMHO.
I think there will be Mavic Pro 2 this year. Anyway, back to topic

Or Mavic Lite - except for the better Flight Control System in the Air.  I suspect the reason they branded it as a Mavic is because of the lack-luster reputation of the Spark.
2018-1-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-24 06:47
Or Mavic Lite - except for the better Flight Control System in the Air.  I suspect the reason they branded it as a Mavic is because of the lack-luster reputation of the Spark.

Logically DJI are marketing the Air as part of the Mavic line due to it's folding design.
2018-1-24
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-24 15:57
Logically DJI are marketing the Air as part of the Mavic line due to it's folding design.

That makes sense  too.
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules