Concerns About The Air
12Next >
6576 50 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

Ok so I have been holding off for some time now on purchasing a drone.  Have flown the Mavic Pro and used it a lot for video and photography.  Jumped and pre-ordered the Air yesterday during the live event.  Now I'm having second thoughts after seeing all the topics and comments on Facebook.  One of the biggest concerns I am seeing is the transmission.  Everyone is saying that the Air is WiFi only unlike the Mavic Pro which is ocusync.  Everyone is saying that the transmission is going to be terrible with interferrence and connection loss.  I don't want to spend this much money to have my drone disconnect and fly off somewhere and I loose it or it crashes.  Can someone speak on this?  Give me a good reason not to cancel my pre-order?  Other reasons why I should invest this much money in this drone.  I thank you for all of your inputs.

2018-1-24
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505889 ft
  • >>>
United States

the wifi has the 1.2 mile signal with a remote on the Spark. From what I am gathering it looks like this one is similar or the same. It only allows for 720p live transmission which in all honestly isn't horrible on a little screen. The ocusync allows you to use the goggles without a cable to the remote and transmits in 1080p which is nice with the goggles. I think it also makes a nicer difference with a bigger screen such as an ipad mini4. The other advantage is that ocusync allow for 4.3 or 4.2 miles (can't remember off the top of my head).
2018-1-24
Use props
Trip Astute
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm also wondering the same thing. The wifi connection is the primary issue keeping me from ordering the Mavic Air. The wifi on my Spark seems pretty spotty, especially in more urban areas. When flying my friend's Mavic Pro, I noticed practically zero transmission issues in the same places where I fly.

Even though the Mavic Air has "enhanced wifi", I can't imagine that it's not prone to the same interference issues. Though I'm curious to hear user experiences when the Mavic Air is released.
2018-1-24
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

the wifi has the 1.2 mile signal with a remote on the Spark. From what I am gathering it looks like this one is similar or the same. It only allows for 720p live transmission which in all honestly isn't horrible on a little screen. The ocusync allows you to use the goggles without a cable to the remote and transmits in 1080p which is nice with the goggles. I think it also makes a nicer difference with a bigger screen such as an ipad mini4. The other advantage is that ocusync allow for 4.3 or 4.2 miles (can't remember off the top of my head).  In short.. I don't mind the Spark WiFi because 1.2 miles is about line of sight which you should always be keeping does most of the things I want it to do. I might pick up an Air because of size, 4k, and slightly longer flight time. I still love my Spark and use it even having my Platinum.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

If you already have a Mavic Pro, the Mavic Air is NOT worth it. They're very similar.

And if you still want a second Mavic, I recommend cancelling your command and getting another Mavic Pro.  The range will probably be a problem on the AIR, and it has a much lower flight time.  Like we have seen with the SPARK, WIFI is inconvenient
2018-1-24
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

My primary use for the Spark is palm launch and land. I can have it out and ready in seconds with little prep. If the Air offers similar in 4k..it will have it's uses... just my 2 cents.
2018-1-24
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I think Ocusync is the method for transmitting the UAV view to your phone or iPad, not the method for communicating flight commands. That said, if WIFI is used to transmit imagery, then, yes, it would be very limited with respect to being able to view what the UAV is seeing. It sounds like the Air is designed for close-in work. Others, please correct me if I'm wrong.

UPDATE: DJI claims that "Wi-Fi video transmission system supports... a 720p live view from up to 4 km away". So my assumption of a very-limited range is wrong.
2018-1-24
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

I am not worried about flying it like 2 or more miles away.  I just want to be able to fly it at a decent distance and not loose transmission whether it be the UAV view or communication.  I don't see flying it out of my sight.  
2018-1-24
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

Iversonmatthew Posted at 2018-1-24 10:34
My primary use for the Spark is palm launch and land. I can have it out and ready in seconds with little prep. If the Air offers similar in 4k..it will have it's uses... just my 2 cents.

The Air is closer to the Mavic line I think, you still need to unfold it, remove the clamp and all. Not much faster than the Pro. And with a bit of practice, palm launch with the Pro are pretty easy.
2018-1-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had ordered the air yesterday but cancelled after finding out about the wi- fi.. I would NOT recommend any device that is using 2010 technology, I don’t care how great everyone says it is if it doesn’t use ocusync or light bridge I would buy it, nothing but trouble...
2018-1-24
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

@R&L Aerial See I'm torn right now.  I want a drone but is this the drone I'm looking for?  Ha see what I did there.  But seriously.  Is it the one I want?  
2018-1-24
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Owning the spark, I can tell you that Wifi connection is the most annoying thing I have to fight with. The Range is below 250m for me(Europe CE standard). Using OTG is a must. And here are my hopes being high on the Air nonetheless. The Mavic Air uses OTG connection to the phone as standard, so no wifi between phone and remote which can interfere with the aircraft WiFi.
So far only my hopes are high, as transmission power is the same on Spark and Air, but range is said to be double, I'm wondering how this should work. I started another thread to clarify that.
I'd be much more relaxed when having ocusync to be honest. But I hope that the Air isn't just an expensive Spark with foldable arms and 4K Cam.
On paper it's the drone I was hoping for to fill the gap between the too large and too heavy Mavic Pro and the toy Spark
2018-1-24
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

After all my research and conversation on here and Facebook Groups I am really leaning back towards the Mavic Pro or Pro Platinum.  I think.  But the Mavic Air has some great features too.  Like the 4k at 100 Mbps and the 1080P at 120 FPS.  And the sensors and APAS.  And the boomerang and asteroid but I'm sure these are going to be coming to the software for the other drones soon.  So yeah still don't know.  LOL.
2018-1-24
Use props
Mark Blaide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246014 ft
United States

...a bunch of people on facebook speculating about a product none of them have tested...take it for what its worth... It's probably not as good as ocusync but probably better than Spark.
2018-1-24
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

Let's hope.  The last thing you want is connectivity issues.  
2018-1-24
Use props
Rich146
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Personally I don’t jump on the band wagon with a new release for at least a few months or more until any issues are ironed out.
2018-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

iceman#1 Posted at 2018-1-24 12:20
Owning the spark, I can tell you that Wifi connection is the most annoying thing I have to fight with. The Range is below 250m for me(Europe CE standard). Using OTG is a must. And here are my hopes being high on the Air nonetheless. The Mavic Air uses OTG connection to the phone as standard, so no wifi between phone and remote which can interfere with the aircraft WiFi.
So far only my hopes are high, as transmission power is the same on Spark and Air, but range is said to be double, I'm wondering how this should work. I started another thread to clarify that.
I'd be much more relaxed when having ocusync to be honest. But I hope that the Air isn't just an expensive Spark with foldable arms and 4K Cam.

Just what is OTG and how is it used?
2018-1-24
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

Also something i didn't think of.  Do we know if the Google Pixel 2XL will fit int eh controller?  I know it has the USB-C cables but will the phone fit in the controller?  Heck will the 2XL fit in the Mavic Pro controller?
2018-1-24
Use props
djiuser_ZbznK5M
lvl.2
United States

RoyalPeeps Posted at 2018-1-24 15:51
Also something i didn't think of.  Do we know if the Google Pixel 2XL will fit int eh controller?  I know it has the USB-C cables but will the phone fit in the controller?  Heck will the 2XL fit in the Mavic Pro controller?

I do not believe pixel 2 is compatible with these units nor is it compatible or listed as compatible with the Mavic Pro.. I am an android user. I purchased an ipad 4 on Monday so I can use it with my Mavic Pro.. I have not opened the Pro yet as I was waiting for this announcement and am leaving for a week on Saturday. That gives me more time to research, but just throwing that out there, I dont believe Android and DJI go together as well as Apple. I think it comes down to DJI's team on the apple app vs the team responsible for the android app and its various phones within that platform. I could be wrong, but throwing that out there.
2018-1-24
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

The phantom 2 vision + was WiFi and it worked great.  
2018-1-24
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-24 15:22
Just what is OTG and how is it used?

OTG is USB On The Go. This is a direct cable connection between two parties. For example a phone and an USB drive. Or a phone and a remote controller. Therefor the phone has to support the OTG standard and must be enabled through the settings. Not all android phones support it, for Apple I don't know if it's also called OTG.
So in short it's a cable connection between controller and remote. Way better than wifi.
DJI is telling you not to use OTG with the Spark, but all videos on youtube telling you to use it, because it's working better.
The Mavic Air uses the cable connection between phone/tablet and remote as default.
2018-1-25
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

RoyalPeeps Posted at 2018-1-24 15:51

these are the supported devices for the Mavic Pro, so I assume they will supprt Mavic Air too:

If you ask me, go for an iOS device, as DJI is optimizing their products with the latest Apple devices. Obvious when you see that they are selling DJI products in Apple stores. Also the DJI support suggested me to use an iOS device, as I reported having issues with any Android device on my Spark. The Android app has still big problems.
2018-1-25
Use props
Trevor Hyman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The price is the biggest issue...£949 in the uk for the fly more is £150 overpriced in my opinion.
2018-1-25
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Sweden

If distance is a problem you will get the answer after people starts to receive the
drone after the 28. I guess the next moonth we should get a answer if this is a problem
or not. For me i am going for the air instead of the pro. The smaller drone
i can take with me on hiking, the better
2018-1-25
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

I had the Spark for a month and it disconnected everytime I flew it outside, even in open fields. The last straw was when it flew off on it's own. I bought a Mavic Pro Alpine White two weeks ago. I was a bit  annoyed when I saw there was a  new drone  being released (wasn't expecting one til May'ish), but after seeing that it had WIFI only and most of the new features that I like are software (hopefully will make their way to the Pro) I was less bothered.

I haven't flown the Mavic as much as the Spark though as it is much bigger and you can't really fly it in the house.

If it was me, I would cancel the order and wait til people have had the Mavic Air in their hands for a month or so to find out what the problems are if any. Looking at Casie Neistat's review, the footage from the Mavic Air isn't as good as the Pro but that could be a prototype he had.
2018-1-25
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

I cancelled my order last night and ordered a Mavic Pro.  I ordered everything on her except the big hard case.
FB_IMG_1516904079508.jpg
2018-1-25
Use props
yuumee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1039029 ft
Taiwan

Honestly, as an owner of Mavic Pro, I have no idea why you even think of having Air.

I would consider it if I wanted to upgrade from Spark, but from Mavic Pro? Err, I call it a downgrade.
2018-1-25
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

I initially thought it was really cool. I still do love some of the features.  Like the new obstacle avoidance intel.  The rear sensor is Def a benefit.
2018-1-25
Use props
Motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just another tool for your bag!
Had a P3A (sold it), still have my P4A and my Mavic Pro.  Just ordered the Air (in Red).
I use to take my P3, and then the P4 with me on some of my trips [am a commercial pilot].  Big and bulky but when you're the pilot, pretty easy to store in the cockpit! lol
Got the Mavic for travel purposes and love it.  Also use it as a backup for my real estate jobs if something happens to my P4.
Now, with the Air, I'll just have another tool to use as a backup, and something a little smaller to travel with.

They all have their purposes and usefulness.  

Look forward to taking the Air with me on some trips and seeing what kind of cool pics/videos I can produce.  But, there is also a new reality.  Drones are getting more restricted everywhere you go.  So in one way, maybe smaller is better as it might not be seen as a nuisance/danger like the bigger drones are.  Again, there's a fine line.
Travelers and adventures- the Air is probably a better way to go.
Not a fan of drones that can fly 2+ miles away from you~  or stuff that will go above 1000'.  But, that's the pilot in me!

Fly Safe, have fun!
Always
Motch
2018-1-25
Use props
captirwin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5568 ft
United States

As an owner of a P3 Standard and a Mavic Pro, I definitely go for the ocusync connectivity system. I have not had a disconnect while flying my Mavic, yet...
2018-1-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

if you are unsure and cannot afford to make a mistake then hold out for a bit - give time for the initial burst of newbie complaints to pass and see what those how have had it for a while have to say about it. i am sure that within a few weeks there will be information and you tube videos that will cover every question you have.
2018-1-25
Use props
RoyalPeeps
lvl.1

United States

I ordered the true and tried Mavic Pro for now so I know I'm good.  And I'll wait to see what the next one is when it comes out.
2018-1-26
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

I have ordered one via Best Buy. That gives me plenty of flying time to see if it fits my bill, plus the option for return. I like the small size for traveling plus the 100 mps bit rate. I love the P4P, but it is not traveler friendly.
2018-1-26
Use props
realdeal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37680 ft
France

you figured out DJIs secret, whenever they study flight records sent to them because of fly aways its usually the remote, their remote and firmware cause issues, my DJI spark was in perfect condition, no more then 145m from me the remote suddenly disrupted the flight putting it in autopilot mode over a lake, i had no idea what the alert was because DJI deliberately refused to discuss this, God forbid they do the public safety authorities will pull their drones off the shelf which is coming because fly away drones with un stable RTH functions are a concern..

They only told me they do not know why the RTH function did not work...well,..if they dont they are responsible., they MADE it!

2018-1-26
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

yuumee Posted at 2018-1-25 10:20
Honestly, as an owner of Mavic Pro, I have no idea why you even think of having Air.

I would consider it if I wanted to upgrade from Spark, but from Mavic Pro? Err, I call it a downgrade.

How is it a downgrade if someone who owns both will probably use the Air more because of it's portability? Remember the best camera is the one you have with you at the moment. I own the Mavic but even traveling with that and a DLSR, my backpack was bulky and heavy. I would take the Air with me and use that more on my travels because it is inconspicuous. The less noticeable I can be flying a drone the better. Also the camera is an upgrade from the Mavic pro.
2018-1-27
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

RoyalPeeps Posted at 2018-1-24 13:59
After all my research and conversation on here and Facebook Groups I am really leaning back towards the Mavic Pro or Pro Platinum.  I think.  But the Mavic Air has some great features too.  Like the 4k at 100 Mbps and the 1080P at 120 FPS.  And the sensors and APAS.  And the boomerang and asteroid but I'm sure these are going to be coming to the software for the other drones soon.  So yeah still don't know.  LOL.

The 120fps shots I've seen look unusable. Mostly due to aliasing, but maybe other factors too. I was looking forward to that...
2018-1-27
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

The Air is nothing more than a step up from the Spark. Would I buy the Air over the MP hell no. If you R looking for a nice toy too play with on vacations then it would be the way to go. Is it a step up from the MP hell no.
2018-1-27
Use props
BEEGNAZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I agree. I have a P3 Standard and having endless issues with weak controller signal and distance. I think djinn should have used ocusynch. Not gonna waste more money to experience similar issues especially if you flying in CE country
2018-1-29
Use props
Henry-M
lvl.2

Australia

I am getting more confused and can not make a decision
2018-1-29
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Henry-M Posted at 2018-1-29 03:10
I am getting more confused and can not make a decision

I would wait awhile, there is rumor of a new Mavic II coming out this spring with an upgraded 1" CMOS camera, APAS, 100mbs write speed. It only makes sense as the MAir sits between the Spark & MP/MPP, people want the camera quality of the P4/P4P with the portability of the Mavic.

And I also agree if Lightbridge or OccuSync is not used I don't want it as well. Also rumored is a new Go5 app.
2018-1-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules