823 12 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grumpybeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593356 ft
Switzerland

Hey fellas,
New P4P owner here. Just wondering if you guys calibrate compass every session? What about the other sensors/gimbal - calibrate every session too?

Thanks very much
2018-1-25
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

not necesary if you fly in the same zone ... anyway app will tell you if is needed
2018-1-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Take the gear and find a nice CLEAR OPEN area away from roads, buildings, metal work ... a nice farm field is good.

Gardens, driveways, roads, parking lots, marina pontoons, jetty's etc. are all bad places as you have metal work / pipes / cables etc.

Once you have a good calibration - leave well alone. You should not need to do it again unless you have travelled a long way from original point - ie hundreds of miles ... or you have had major repairs / setups made.

If you arrive a site to fly and it says Interference ... or Calibrate Compass ... switch off ... move a few metres and try again ... often a piece of metal or something is there and can cause errort. Move a bit and no problem. Its best to switch off and power up again after moving - this means that warning is cleared and gear will assess new position fully.

Nigel
2018-1-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I have never calibrated the compass on my P4 as long as I have had it.
2018-1-25
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

^^^ exactly. Since I've owned it, I've never had to calibrate and it came from China - go figure.  My suggestion, calibrate if it requests to be calibrated - otherwise - LEAVE IT ALONE.

You only need to calibrate those cheap drones wherever you go.
2018-1-25
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

By the way, I own the P4P - Obsidian  
2018-1-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only calibrate it when it is fresh out of the box, after all it just travelled half way around the world. The than that I will only do it if the compass calibration banner window appears in the GO App. No need to do the Gimbal either unless there is an issue or banner request.
2018-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I follow an unusual system with calibrating the compasses in my P4 pros.
I follow the directions from the manual:  https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf
P57 tells you how often you need to calibrate the compass.
It tells you about whether you need to calibrate a new Phantom out of the box and how far you can travel before needing to calibrate.

The next time I calibrate the compass in one of my Phantoms, it will be the first time.
2018-1-25
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't calibrate until it asks for it which is almost never. That includes flying 100's of miles between locations.
2018-1-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Despite the words above ... I think the DJI TEch guy here who spent time to make this video may have something to say about all this ?

Its actually worth to actually scroll through the DJI videos - especially that the manuals are suss in some parts ...

Nigel
2018-1-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To add to the video above there is also a gimbal yaw adjustment available now , with latest firmware/App'  (sits beside 'roll' adjustment as seen in video above).

I've calibrated my P4 compass twice in two years. The advice in video & P4P  manual are good, once initially, and then after, only if prompted by system.
2018-1-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

As you are quickly finding out there are dozens of ways to look at this issue and how many might go about it...
The reality is you can calibrate your compass every flight if you so choose.  However, what you should know and understand is that every time you go messing with this procedure you risk the chance of introducing some error in to your system that could result in a malfunction or crash or both.  Ask your self, is it worth the risk, I don't think so.
As mentioned already the manual clearly states to NOT perform a calibration unless the App or status indicator says to do so.  I believe it could not be planner and clear.  Now it is up to you to decide whether you'll follow the manual's direction or the advice of so many...choose wisely
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Welcome to join the Phantom group. A message will pop up if the compass need to be calibrate. If everything works well, no need to calibrate. Please refer the tutorial video in 10# for calibration progress.
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules