Mavic Air - Dual IMU and Compass?
3159 27 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
United States

Does the Spark Pro, ooops, Mavic Air has dual IMU and Compass like the Mavic PRO?

In my understanding, it´s a major feature that would me think in to upgrade.

Also, what modes will it have? Follow me (GPS Following)? TerrainFollow? Spotlight active track?..... I mean, will it have the same DJI GO 4 app features as Mavic Pro?

2018-1-25
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

My understanding is it has the same features as the spark with the technology of the Mavic PRO. in addition to forward and backward facing Object Avoidance.
2018-1-25
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
United States

I did not find anywhere mentions about IMU redundence.
2018-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2018-1-25 09:55

It has IMU redundancy in what form I don’t know have been trying to find out.
2018-1-25
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

It is part of the mavic family so it is likely.  People just say Spark Pro because it is smaller than a Mavic Pro.  If you like folding arms, you have two different flavors of Mavic (occusync or a better tougher camera) for the same price.

If you want cheap,...there is only the Spark with its one IMU and compass.
2018-1-25
Use props
CashWilliams
New
Flight distance : 66581 ft
United States

I believe it does. From the specs page, you see mention of "IMU redundancies", and a youtube support video on calibrating the IMU shows 2 accelerometers and 2 gyroscopes, just like in the mavic pro.

(I had links for these things but lost them while waiting on this forum account to be approved to post and now too lazy to go find them again )
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

CashWilliams Posted at 2018-1-25 12:21
I believe it does. From the specs page, you see mention of "IMU redundancies", and a youtube support video on calibrating the IMU shows 2 accelerometers and 2 gyroscopes, just like in the mavic pro.

(I had links for these things but lost them while waiting on this forum account to be approved to post and now too lazy to go find them again )

It is not stated on the specs site (as far as my search goes)
https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs

But here you see the IMU calibrate menu.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-130974-1-1.html

Indeed, it does show 2x accelerometer and 2x gyroscope

Also it looks like the gain settings are there!
If that is still there (I could not find other proof of that) that would be a huge bonus.
2018-1-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It looks like it (see my post above)
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2018-1-25 09:55

Adriano, please note that Mavic air has dual IMU and a compass. It supports quick shot, active track, tap fly  and you can check more mode in our website: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-25
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are the details about the Mavic Air's redundancy from the marketing material.
2018-1-25
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Why are 2 compasses a plus.?'Interference' is not a fault so how would it know which is correct as both will suffer. DJI won't say because they would condemn the spark if they say they're better or essential.
Mine has no problem.
2018-1-25
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So far only 2 credible cautionary difficulties have been recorded.
Firstly recalibrating in an unsuitable spot without the correct procedure, and tight turns in sport mode , which if persisted will cause the spark to go into atti mode.This is the same as the AC being ripped off it's position by excessive wind.
Both situations are easily avoided.
2018-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-1-25 21:40
Here are the details about the Mavic Air's redundancy from the marketing material.
[view_image]

Thanks Kloo, sounds good on paper.
2018-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-1-25 21:40
[view_image]

Love it - so one compass supported by a bunch of sensors. Sounds impressive - proof is in the pudding for me though.
2018-1-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So, can it be said I should buy the MA? Not without dismissing my spark, which is still great for me.I love the look of MA, but spark and smaller appeals.Tello maybe.

2018-1-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BTW , one compass seems to me to be one compass.
As soon as anyone  has problems , and  they will, I for one will not be trawling through the endless "flyaways" to  guess what's happened again.
There is dearth of them now, and no one I know of has returned after replacement to up date us.
Ridiculed as I am when I suggest readind the ac indictators - which tell you nearly everything,if you're in gps mode, sport mode, atti mode , low batt mode and much more - I can only assume trolls or worse are active.
As for rounding up horses for 4 months in the snow without knowing what RTH is I withdraw.
2018-1-26
Use props
kRx md
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158914 ft
Philippines

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-25 11:56
It is part of the mavic family so it is likely.  People just say Spark Pro because it is smaller than a Mavic Pro.  If you like folding arms, you have two different flavors of Mavic (occusync or a better tougher camera) for the same price.

If you want cheap,...there is only the Spark with its one IMU and compass.

hmm...It's part of the Mavic family then since it is Mavic air. Does that mean, we may still get a true Spark 2.0 down the road? Or is our Spark, the discontinued Ipodmini?
2018-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

kRx md Posted at 2018-1-26 07:24
hmm...It's part of the Mavic family then since it is Mavic air. Does that mean, we may still get a true Spark 2.0 down the road? Or is our Spark, the discontinued Ipodmini?

spark has been a great success so yes we will see Spark 2 and it will almost certainly include some of the technology we see now in MavAir.
2018-1-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

I don't think any of modern equipment has e-compass any longer (measuring one axis) but these are mostly magnetometers (measuring magnetic field in all 3 axes).
Which makes me wonder why DJI uses incorrect term....
2018-1-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So it makes little sense to speak of the number of compasses. Each comprises many parts, which are reasonably lumped together under the term compass?
2018-1-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PS mine in my spark is still giving exemplary service.
2018-1-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

I totally don't get what you are saying.
2018-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bright Spark Posted at 2018-1-26 03:06
So, can it be said I should buy the MA? Not without dismissing my spark, which is still great for me.I love the look of MA, but spark and smaller appeals.Tello maybe.

The Tello is a toy drone, massively below the Spark and not an official DJI product. The Spark is still the smallest DJI drone that they currently sell - when in flight. The specs of the Air look like a serious upgrade to the Spark and if you are in a position to upgrade then the Air would be the next level. If you are still happy with the Spark then no need to upgrade as still a great drone for what it is designed to do.
2018-1-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

kRx md Posted at 2018-1-26 07:24

I am sure there will be a new Spark.  Built with whatever they can stuff in it while keeping the price down.  It will likely be the one DJI drone that can be bought without a remote controller.  Neat trick to lower the price by allowing users to just use their phone as the remote.  Letting them add an accessory remote if they get addicted to the hobby.

2018-1-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Depends on your expectations. The best camera is the one you have with you, and under 250 grams might be more useable.
To most people all drones are toys.
2018-1-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

My Spark weighs 250 grams and is just a Air Hogs toy.  I did some special lighting mods by replacing parts with carbon fiber, as far as government officials need to know.
2018-1-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Like it!  I am keen to get max photo potential from my drone, and 250 grams max weight may be pivotal soon.
Such a spark could appear at market if so.
2018-1-26
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

The Mavic Air is more related to Mavic pro than the spark: it shares lots of features with mavic pro
2018-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules