Have any flyaway owners received satisfaction?
8577 22 2014-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jlmatalon
lvl.1

United States

At the outset let me say that I am an FAA licensed, instrument rated airplane pilot. I know how to follow instructions and checklists because my life depends on it.  I bought two phantom 2 vision plus units in the past month.  Both were updated to latest firmware, the compass was calibrated correctly before each flight, at least 8 satellites were reported, and all other protocols followed. I even made sure that the GPSs indicated the correct location using the "find my phantom" feature. The first phantom flew away while I was using the ground station software.  I had four waypoints set up for a test flight. The unit flew to the first two waypoints, then started flying off course. I activated the fail-safe mode, and the app initially reported "coming home," but then the app said "connection broken" and the quad flew off toward the horizon, never to be seen again. Thinking this was a fluke, and otherwise being impressed with the features, I ordered  another one the same day.  When it arrived, i updated the firmware, the tx was calibrated, etc. etc.  The first couple of short flights were fine, but on the third flight of the day the unit flew away as if possessed by a demon.  Again I activated fail-safe, but the app reported "connection broken" and the unit flew away and disappeared.

The retailers, B&H Photo and Amazon, have essentially told me to take a hike (while being very sorry for the inconvenience).    Under the law of every state, products come with express and implied warranties. A warranty is not merely a promise to fix something if it breaks, but is an assurance that a product will perform in the manner for which it is intended. Obviously a drone that flies away uncommamded and does not return home -- despite being sold with the representation that it has such a feature -- is not "merchantable" within the meaning of warranty law.  I would like to get a sense from the forum how DJI has been responding to consumers who have had experiences like mine.  Is the company standing behind the product and providing satisfaction to owners?  Or, like the retailers, are they just sorry for the inconvenience?  I have heard a a small discount on a re-purchase is available, but to me that is a joke.

If anyone has been successful getting a refund, please let me know. If no one is being treated in conformity with law, some collective action might be warranted.
2014-10-26
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Connection broken only refers to the video link, switching to Atti should still have given you control back.
Were you flying well out in the open, well away from any interference ?
Having said that, RTH will work regardless of control, but only if you have 7 or more satellites locked.  
2014-10-26
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

sounds to me like theres some interference local to where youre flying.. the common denominator is your flying site.
can you give us more detail on how you calibrated the compass, and also your workflow for updating the firmware?
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Eirlink Posted at 2014-10-27 09:19
sounds to me like theres some interference local to where youre flying.. the common denominator is y ...

Welcome to hell sir...  That's just so unlucky...  2 flyways ??

Im not one of the DJI hats, but this forum and others are here to help in any way they can.

Eirlink will try to help you resolve your issues and I would recommend you participate in this dialog to help resolve your issues.

I think Johnwarr was thinking about the Gps conditions:
The Phantom will automatically descend during the Failsafe process if there are less than 6 GPS satellites detected for more than 20 seconds.  

Maybe they are just over the hill ?
Either way Id be getting some reward posters out and about..... cant be more than 10 miles away.....
Did you know you may be covered on your house insurance, worth checking....   
2014-10-26
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

I know it maybe to late, but for anyone else, I would do the following, and maybe, just maybe you will get it back.
1. create some type of label on your drone with the words "REWARD IF FOUND" with your phone number.
2. Change the name of your memory card to "REWARD".
3. Create a word document with the following information:
REWARD IF FOUND
Please Return to:
{Your Name, Phone number and Email address }
"Thank you for your honesty!"
4. Now make this document into a jpg file  and name it 'REWARD IF FOUND.JPG'
5. Put the file in the root directory.

It's not to say, you will get it back, but I think it would help, and just maybe the person the finds it will give you a call. Without it, I know you would not get a call.

As to why you had two fly-away, I am not sure. If you take a look at the following two videos, maybe you can find something you may have missed.
I do understand what you said, but I have found these two to be the most help.

Setup:

Ground Control:

Good Luck,

2014-10-26
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

jlmatalon, can you let us know where you flew the copter? Would be interesting to see if there are any potential sources of interference near your location.

The other thing you can do is check the winds for that fateful day and then search downwind of where you were. When GPS degrades to ATTI mode, the copter will appear to be moving by itself, but, in fact, it's the wind pushing it that way. Once you know the prevailing wind for that day, you may well find your copter sitting on the gound, somewhere in that downwind cone.
2014-10-26
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

Dang, that's some bad luck. Sorry to hear it.

I do like the idea of putting the "reward" info on the card and printed on the Phantom as well. I am going to do that!
2014-10-27
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

Yes, I too hope I never have to use it, the reward, but it will be worth it. Also @ insitb that's a good point, it would be nice to see the area. I know that I have to be very careful near a place I fly at the upper park in Chico, CA. They have two set of very hight voltages electric towers that runs from east to west of the town.

So I say away from that area. Anyway it would be nice to know, if only something to look for.
2014-10-27
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

Did you do the 2 flyaway flights in the same location?
2014-10-27
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Sorry to hear that... Do you have any video of the accicdent for better analysis?
2014-10-28
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1887894 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

i had my drone fly away as well and DJI say they are not responsible for it..
2016-6-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-20 22:46
i had my drone fly away as well and DJI say they are not responsible for it..

Anyone can say their Phantom flew away but unless you back that up with flight data it doesn't mean anything.
If you really think it did, it's a simple matter to go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides
2016-6-20
Use props
Spyder11
lvl.1

United States

Check out my flight log. Granted I started the flight with 34% battery but I didn't go far and the battery didn't fall below 33% before it was lost connection. I tried to press the RTH function but to no avail. There were some warnings about battery temp but if that's the case it shouldn't have allowed for take-off. Also it wasn't that cold outside for the battery temp to fall too low.

What do you guys think of my attached log. Do you think I have any luck with this case with DJI. My credit card insurance and purchase protection rejected the claim because they said they are not compensating for defective products and electronic glitches like the one that occurred in this case.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Below is a LINK to the flight log analysis:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XJGYUCOKSUAOT19AERX2/#

DJIFlightRecord_2016-11-27_[04-52-38].zip

20.72 KB, Down times: 1

Flight log zip

DJIFlightRecord_2016-11-27_[04-52-38].pdf

191.37 KB, Down times: 4

Flight log PDF

2016-12-13
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

I found in areas where trains are parked, the drones don't work too well, I think its the wireless cameras the train yards use, I was able to find my drone after a few hours. It had landed safety and the props were still spinning. No damage. I was relieved. Same thing happened to my RC cars in the same area, they took off at high speed. One is still missing.
2016-12-19
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to have logs.  Otherwise, it's just another drone that floated off in ATTI mode.  A discount on a new drone sounds like a pretty good deal in those case.
2016-12-19
Use props
Bsharppm
New
Flight distance : 43491 ft
United States

I would like some comments on this please look My mavic gone forever   https://www.facebook.com/ed.gintling/posts/1832608563433397
2017-9-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bsharppm Posted at 2017-9-16 21:12
I would like some comments on this please look My mavic gone forever   https://www.facebook.com/ed.gintling/posts/1832608563433397

You have posted this to a zombie thread, it has been dead for 9 months. If you want to find out what happened, start a thread of your own (you have to have a certain number of forum points to do this) and upload the log to Phantomhelp.com. Then come back and post a link to the log here.
2017-9-16
Use props
Bsharppm
New
Flight distance : 43491 ft
United States

I was only given 30% off a new mavic pro after some facebook postings and complaints they up it to 35%   to peas me. This is a common problem dji has a department called "Flyaway  department" My RTH never worked and I had Great GPS single dji said there was not enough evidence to support a better discount.  Look at my facebook link https://www.facebook.com/ed.gintling/posts/1832608563433397
2017-9-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bsharppm Posted at 2017-9-20 12:34
I was only given 30% off a new mavic pro after some facebook postings and complaints they up it to 35%   to peas me. This is a common problem dji has a department called "Flyaway  department" My RTH never worked and I had Great GPS single dji said there was not enough evidence to support a better discount.  Look at my facebook link https://www.facebook.com/ed.gintling/posts/1832608563433397

There are several possible explanations for your Mavic not returning.
Unfortunately you haven't given any more details except that it did not return.
Without better information people can only guess what might have happened.
The recorded flight data may help solve the mystery.
To find out, go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Gamecatcher Posted at 2014-10-27 19:19
Dang, that's some bad luck. Sorry to hear it.

I do like the idea of putting the "reward" info on the card and printed on the Phantom as well. I am going to do that!

In Canada, we have new drone regulations and bylaws.

Having your name and contact info, visibly on the drone is the only/new way to fly.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
realdeal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37680 ft
France

Bsharppm Posted at 2017-9-20 12:34
I was only given 30% off a new mavic pro after some facebook postings and complaints they up it to 35%   to peas me. This is a common problem dji has a department called "Flyaway  department" My RTH never worked and I had Great GPS single dji said there was not enough evidence to support a better discount.  Look at my facebook link https://www.facebook.com/ed.gintling/posts/1832608563433397

they call this a zombie thread, well, according to them!
2018-2-3
Use props
fans16b8aaa1
New

United States

If I may, first very sorry for your ordeal.  Sadly, whether or not your assesment of laws regarding warrant are correct or not, it does not matter.  anyone wishing to avoid paying you will simply say "user error" and therre you are out of luck.  Very sad situation, but "been there, been screwed like that, and even got shorted on the T shirt"  Hop you get some satisfaction.
2018-2-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans16b8aaa1 Posted at 2018-2-4 14:13
If I may, first very sorry for your ordeal.  Sadly, whether or not your assesment of laws regarding warrant are correct or not, it does not matter.  anyone wishing to avoid paying you will simply say "user error" and therre you are out of luck.  Very sad situation, but "been there, been screwed like that, and even got shorted on the T shirt"  Hop you get some satisfaction.

First you are responding to a thread started over 3 years ago.
2nd.  It's not as simple as that.
DJI drones since April 2015 record flight data like a black box recorder so what actually happens in a flight incident can be investigated and the true cause determined.
2018-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules