How do I disable max altitude
138617 62 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flying Higher
lvl.1

United States

It is easy to disable.  Just takes patience.  See this video of the incredible results when you do so:  
2019-8-14
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

you should not fly above 500m
2019-8-15
Use props
Stefan Bouwer
New

New Zealand

Nolimitdrones takes the phantom to any height Google it
2019-8-27
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zubayer.Khan Posted at 8-15 06:30
you should not fly above 500m

We are not if you follow up mountain side. If you launch from mountain side and fly out away you could easily can be flying over 500m AGL. Topographical maps are not loaded into dji's software.  Why is it DJI plays good guy with flysafe and then bad guy w
ith 249g drone.
2019-12-29
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

akcarl Posted at 2018-9-29 11:04
[view_image]

Here is an example of flying in steep terrain.  This ridge is the view outside of my house.  The water on the right is sea level.  The ridge on the left is 482m meters.  I took this photo from 18m above the ridge line.  I flew up this ridge line and never got more than 20 meters above the ground but couldn't go any further up the ridge because I hit the 500m ATO limit.  EVERYTHING around where I live is steep.

Awesome place to live!
2020-1-9
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

fans8fe5d726 Posted at 2019-8-4 12:37
There are times when the max alt is more restrictive than the law; for example, I hiked half way up a 2000 foot cliff but didn't know it was 2000 ft.  I had left my drone at the bottom and was going to fly it up to where we were for a shot - it was all line of site in the desert with no one else around.  At no point would it be more than 500 feet off of the ground, yet the 500  restriction was from where it took off!  So I couldn't fly it to me and had a hard time landing it from so far away.   I had to roll back my firmware, pick up a copy of DJI Assistant 2 that allowed the developer module, and then change the max height value.  There's google videos on it.  Still, they should make this so that it is 500 from the ground rather than from take off.

So AGL stands for above ground level. A drone automatically sets this to 0 at its take-off point and can not be adjusted. So this is where it gets tricky. If you take off from the point at which you hiked too, you can go 500m above that point. Then you could fly over a valley that is 2000ft below and still be within the law. But if you take off at the bottom of the valley as you did, you can't go above the 500m threshold, even if the ground level does.
2020-3-15
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

geva Posted at 2019-8-10 07:37
500m above ground level is lots, however this is not how DJI altitude works - which is from take off position.  Also it seems that the measurement is wrong on my Spark as there doesn't seem to be a barometric pressure sensor and it unreliably gains and loses altitude when flying straight over steep terrain (where it should stay level in the air).

AGL is set when the drone takes off. So theoretically, you could fly over a valley and be higher than 500m. The opposite is also true, if you take off from a low point and you fly over a point where the ground rises, the drone won't let you go higher even though the ground is 2 ft from the drone.
2020-3-15
Use props
djiuser_6nFP6NqHj56o
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81621 ft
United States

If you stand at top of mountain 380m in height and fly DJI drone up to 120m, What is the height will be seen on DJI Aeroscope machine? 120m or 500m?
2020-6-4
Use props
dsam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8360 ft
United States

djiuser_6nFP6NqHj56o Posted at 2020-6-4 03:51
If you stand at top of mountain 380m in height and fly DJI drone up to 120m, What is the height will be seen on DJI Aeroscope machine? 120m or 500m?
120m.

Conversely if you takeoff at sea level and follow the terrain up a mountain (never exceeding 120m above the terrain directly below the drone), the drone will stop ascending at 500m relative to takeoff point -- this sucks. This sucks because you can be still within the law (under 120m above terrain), but overzealous DJI will prevent you from climbing.

It is also an arbitrary limit set by DJI. Could've been 400m relative to takeoff, or 600m...

I live at the foothills of a steep mountain, can't fly to the top by a mere 50 meters. All i can do is hit shrubbery at 500m above takeoff -- while still only 5 meters above terrain up there.

This is dumb because if I climbed the mountain (2hr hike), i could takeoff from the top, ascend (legally) to 120m above takeoff, fly forward a few meters and end up over 720m above ground (foothill of the mountain).

IMO altitude limits should take into account terrain elevation where the drone is flown to, or should not be a hard limit at all.
2021-4-11
Use props
dewens12
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2623130 ft
  • >>>
United States

Set in Beginner's mode
2021-4-12
Use props
NeslikagaN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1000144 ft
Turkey

I guess no one in the world can solve this issue for Mavic Air 2
2021-5-15
Use props
djiuser_82Jb2dhFiTsi
New

United States

How do I disable my altitude for mavic air 2
2021-6-1
Use props
djiuser_cBVsjes1IGA8
lvl.1

United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-25 19:41
Of course, the question remains, why do you need to?  If you get up into manned aircraft zones, you might be putting human lives at risk.  Probability of it happening:  small.  Consequences of it happening:  Huge.

To fly up mountains
2021-9-7
Use props
djiuser_PAdq2ySd56IK
New

Malaysia

DJI mini 2
High limit?
2021-12-27
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-25 19:41
Of course, the question remains, why do you need to?  If you get up into manned aircraft zones, you might be putting human lives at risk.  Probability of it happening:  small.  Consequences of it happening:  Huge.

I couldn't agree more.  It is a danger to aviation in general.  If birds can force Sully into ditching in the Hudson, a drone can certainly threaten aircraft as well, especially those general aviation aircraft flying at relatively low altitudes.
2022-1-9
Use props
DarkMyth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 840830 ft
United States

Once you showed this graph it made more sense.  I can only speak on my Mavic 3 there's an option in setting mentioned above to set it higher than that limit yes.
2022-2-4
Use props
djiuser_OKkgBdjMKozF
New
Flight distance : 1201752 ft
Australia

Waste of time reading this, no-one here knows
2022-2-5
Use props
ATKAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112303 ft
Australia

I'll roll a grenade into the conversation...500m in any direction and most people are starting to/or already have breeched VLOS.
In Australia at least (CASA definition)...

"An unmanned aircraft operation in which the remote pilot operating the
remotely piloted aircraft can continually see, orient and navigate the aircraft to
meet their separation and collision avoidance responsibilities, with or without
corrective lenses, but without the use of binoculars, a telescope or other
similar device."

So basically by not using your screen, know confidently the exact location and orientation of your airframe. Take the Mavic Pro for example, not utilising a connected screen, flown to a point say 200m (even 300m) away from you...introduce a few seconds of rudder while not looking, and then visually reengage the airframe and know exactly which direction it is facing. I know I couldn't many years ago and still can't now with eye glasses.
Yes we want to exploit this amazing tech we have paid for and continue to get the best from, but safety first - safety always; and unfortunately the settings to regulate those of the lowest common denominator and understanding will always affect those who think that rules should not apply to them because of our/their own self perception of importance and skill. 'Common' sense is no longer common, if it was we'd all still have it.

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. “ WW2 British RAF Ace, Sir Douglas Bader

Spin those props, fly safe...
2022-2-9
Use props
coco2001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31112 ft
United States

I wanted to be able to fly my Mavic Pro above 500m and did a lot of googling on this. Finally, I was able to do it by following directions in this video: https://youtu.be/rFrQ52m8bos

Here is the video I made and reason why I wanted to be able to fly over 500m. In this video, my Mavic Pro flies ove 1km high: https://youtu.be/i4t4RWKlzRY

How to do it:
I was able to downgrade the firmware on my Mavic Pro from V01.04.0500 to  V01.04.0300. In ordedr to do this, you need to run DJI_Super-PatcherV2.0.2 and select option 2. Follow the prompt and on DUMLdoreV3 select "Download Firmware" (you might need to run DUMLdoreV3 independent from DJI_Super-PatcherV2.0.2 if "Download Firmware" is grayed out ). It will open github (https://github.com/cs2000/DankDroneDownloader) - download DankDroneDownloader and run it. In DankDroneDownloader select Mavic Pro and select V01.04.0300 firmware. It will download the firmware. Close DankDroneDownloader. Go back to DUMLdoreV3 and select "Load Firmware". Select the firmware you just downloaded and click "Flash Firmware". Be patient, it will take about 10 minutes. Mine got stuck on around 64% and the drone restarted couple of times. It opened another DUMLdoreV3 instance where it showed the firmware was downgraded to V01.04.0300. Close that 2nd DUMLdoreV3 instance and the first should finish shortly after. When done, close DUMLdoreV3 and reboot your drone. Continue on DJI_Super-PatcherV2.0.2. It asked me if I want to Flash the firmware one more time and I selected YES. Repeated the whole process but much faster this time. I rebooted the drone one more time and continued with DJI_Super-PatcherV2.0.2. At this point,  go back to the main menu and select the option 1. Follow the prompt and flash MavicPro_SP_2.0_Stealth_03.02.44.21_dji_system.bin firmware. Verifiy the firmware in DJI GO 4 app.
2022-5-16
Use props
Leathalfart
New
Flight distance : 34967 ft
Australia

Can I chime in and ask , When you get up the mountain at the 500m mark, is it possible to re-set the Return to Home location at that point?
Will it then be able to go up another 500m? or just impossible thought
2022-6-10
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

i think there is no that option anymore, you can rise it up to 500m
2022-7-10
Use props
fans366193c4
lvl.2

Slovenia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-25 20:20
You can set the Max Flight Altitude on the Main Controller Settings, the range is 20 to 500 meters, the default setting is 120 meters. If you need to fly beyond 120m, you need to agree on the agreement to the change the settings. And the max altitude enabled is 500 meters AGL, you are not able to exceed this limit. Hope it helps.

Odkar sem kupil Dji fpv imam veliko željo, da bi letel 2000-4000m.Saj sem sam odgovoren za dron in letenje...Vsaj enkrat bi želel leteti tako visoko.Res škoda Dji za vaše nerazumljive omejitve.
2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fans366193c4 Posted at 11-4 11:05
Odkar sem kupil Dji fpv imam veliko željo, da bi letel 2000-4000m.Saj sem sam odgovoren za dron in letenje...Vsaj enkrat bi želel leteti tako visoko.Res škoda Dji za vaše nerazumljive omejitve.

Sorry for any inconvenience. If you may want to unlock the restriction and you have the official atuhority authorization document, you can send the request to flysafe@dji.com for further assistance.
2022-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules