Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Case Review: Pelican Storm iM2875 by Aerial Media Pros
3753 9 2015-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

My review of the Pelican iM2875 case for the Inspire 1, sold by Aerial Media Pros.

Desription:
This case uses the Pelican Storm iM2875 with custom foam cutouts for the Inspire.  It has a recessing handle and in-line rollers for towing behind you.  It has 3 cushioned handles and 6 clasps.  Both the handles and clasps snap/lock into place and will not come undone under normal circumstances.  It is crush proof, waterproof, dust proof, and has a relief valve to prevent pressurization problems.

I went with this one as it's a bit smaller than the current GoPro cases, although they are making one that will be this size.

The case is shipped with all of the foam intact, but has been custom cut for the Inspire aircraft and components.  This is excellent, as you can decide how deep you want to store your components.  Example: I chose to remove all but the bottom layer for the controllers, which gave me room for the harnesses in the bottom and the controllers are now recessed below the top of the case for better protection.  However, you could leave them sticking up a bit and this would allow for the foam in lid to make contact and hold the controllers in place with no movement.  Your choice.

I had previously use the DJI supplied case as a carry on, but it won't last and could easily be damaged by rough bagage handlers.

For those that are still carrying on the supplied case, you are taking a huge risk IMO, that you might be stopped at the gate and will need to check.  Besides the pain of having to removes all of the batteries on the spot, you now have little protection for your expensive gear.  It's only a matter of time before we are reading of damage with these cases being checked.  (just my opinion)

Bottom Line:
Rugged, looks good, excellent fit for Inspire and components, will never worry about rough handling.  I highly recommend and would buy again.

Design Flaws:
One noted problem was in the upper/left slot for one of the tablets, there isn't room to slide theSamsung 8.5 all the way in unless you remove all of the foam.  When you do that, the tablet hits the recessed wheel well and could cause damage.  I simply used a piece of a foam cutout to place in the bottom of the slot.  The result is a protected tablet, but it sticks out above the other.  Not a major concern, but should be changed in design.

Other Nitpick:
The Aerial media Pros website has a very basic description and limited (non zoomable) photos of this product.  There are no reviews, no specs, and it's very difficult to make a reasonable comparison or decision with their info.  If I had only used their website to make a decision, I would have opted out, as there isn't enough to go on, especially for this kind of money.  C'mon guys, you can do better.

Cons:
Expensive!  Heavy, bulky, too big for carry on, design flaw listed above, the controller cutouts are too tight IMO, and drag on the control levers when inserting and removing from the case. However, they won't bump around when in transit.

Pros:
Excellent case.  Tough and will hold up for years.  Will not worry about rough handling or the elements.  Almost perfect cutouts. Room for most casual/semi-pro needs.  Hinges, clasps, hande, wheels are all high quality and will definitely last.

Details / Specs:
Seller: AerialMedia Pros  (link)
Manufacturer:PelicanStorm iM2875 (link)
Price: $487
Shipping: $28  (2 day FedEx to Houston, Texas
Outer Dimensions: 23.5" w x 25" h x 13" d, (58.7w x 63.5h x 33d cm)
Interior Dimensions: 22.50" x 21.10" x 11.40" (57.1 x 53.6 x28.9 cm)
Loaded Weight: 43lbs, 19.5 kilos
Carries:Inspire Aircraft, 2 controllers, 5+ batteries, 2 small tablets (Samsung Galaxy 8.5), 6+ prop sets, camera/gimbal in case, controller straps/harness, 2 chargers and cords, space for extras like cards & filters
Can Use as Carry On:No
Safe as Checked Baggage: Yes
Can carry in Flight Mode:No

Photos:
Sorry, I can't upload photos for some reason.  I'm getting the error message:  "The server limit can't upload large attach.".  The images are JPEG, less than 200kb in size.  I'll try later.

2015-4-25
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Nice, im looking forward to buy a case, but im looking for something smaller, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/HPRC-HPRC2 ... ords=hprc+inspire+1

2015-4-25
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-4-25 22:56
Nice, im looking forward to buy a case, but im looking for something smaller, like this:

http://www ...

That's a good case, but it's not much smaller than this one, so don't go by that alone.  I had actually ordered that one first, thinking it would carry the Inspire in Flight mode.  It doesn't.  It's for travel mode only.

After I got the case, I felt it wasn't what I wanted.  I didn't like the quality of the foam and think it will tear easier than others, kind of like the DJI case foam.  And to get to the things stored under the top layer, you have to pick up the aircraft and top layer of foam and remove it.  There are no handles to do this, so it's kind of a pain to do.  I immediately sent it back.  Fortunately with Amazon, that's a breeze.  

At any rate, the one you're looking at is good, but not quite as tough or long lasting as the Pelican case -- just my opinion.  However, there's a considerable difference in price, so that can be a huge factor!

I say order it and return it if it's not for you.

2015-4-25
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Does the GoPro compact case works for you? Does it hold the inspire in Flight mode?
2015-4-25
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-4-26 00:12
Does the GoPro compact case works for you? Does it hold the inspire in Flight mode?

This isn't the GoPro case.  This is for travel mode only.

GoPro is making one for travel mode:    http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-inspire-1-c.html
2015-4-25
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

MJDMike Posted at 2015-4-26 00:38
This isn't the GoPro case.  This is for travel mode only.

GoPro is making one for travel mode:    ...

Check this one out mike, got it in oz and it is great. Not sure what the shipping would be to the US though

http://www.dronearmour.com/
2015-4-25
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Very nice review, looking forward to see the photos, you should try again, it seems the server is working again.
2015-4-28
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Does the pelican case hold the Inspire in Landing mode?
2015-4-28
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-4-29 09:10
Does the pelican case hold the Inspire in Landing mode?

yes, it does, seen it in person. . Can even keep camera on although i wouldn't if case would be bumped around!
2015-4-28
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

i wonder is traveling with the inspire 1 in landing mode will affect the inspire 1 in the long run. i am sure that DJI Design the  inspire 1 to be in taveling mode for a reason, but i dont know 100% so thats why i ask!
2015-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules