OSMO PRO AUDIO IMPROVED WITH WIRELESS LAV MICS?
1909 9 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnny Sky8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51558 ft
Canada

Hi Guys,

Been reading up on the Osmo Pro the past week, looking to move away from my Black Magic Pocket Video Camera and Osmo X3 to get into some great looking 4K video on a great gimbal.  Main problem I'm seeing is the terrible noise from the X5 fan, even when using an underslung Rode Video Mic Pro.  I've never been a fan of adding a secondary audio recording  device to my portable cameras.  I did this a couple of times with a Tascam D60 and will never look back.  With the Rode VMP I've been able to capture great mono audio for evrything from outide concerts to close interviews.  With both my BMPCC and Osmo x3 there are no internal noise issues for mics to pick up.  And when filming interviews my Sennheiser wireless lav mic setup works great.

Unless DJI comes up with that "X5s" Osmo handle or likely an X5 version of their just announced amazing looking Ronin-S, I'm just looking for input from any other Osmo X5 setups who have been able to overcome the fan noise and achieve great audio results with mics?  Also interested if anyone has used dual headed lav systems or dual lav 3.5" jack splitters.  Tons of these both on Amazon, etc., could be a great fit for 2 person interviews each miced with a lav running 8-10 ft + away from the fan noise of the Osmo Pro.  Thanks.

Regards,

- Johnny
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Johnny, we are so sorry for the inconvenience the fan noise has been caused to your work, while the fans in X5 cannot be turned off in order to ensure the stability of the camera, currently, we recommend to use the external mic to lower down the noise.
X5S is not compatible with Osmo grip, we apologize again for the inconvenience caused.
2018-1-26
Use props
Johnny Sky8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51558 ft
Canada

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for your reply.  Can you tell me if DJI will soon be releasing a Ronin-S for the X5 camera?  Thanks.

Regards,

- Johnny
2018-1-26
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

wireless lev works perfectly, used it for about a year or so on a daily basis.
2018-2-5
Use props
danirvine 1
lvl.2
Australia

I have been running a sennheiser radio kit straight in to the osmo pro

Make sure setting is on 1 for audio level on the osmo thats the magic number
But remember to put back to defult when going back to the video micro or mic pro

I find any audio with this always risky as you cant really monitor it and the vu is a joke its not in till you have the card ingested on the computer till you really know if it worked

Pro tip always use 90 degree 3.5 jacks as the stright 3.5 slip out on the input hole on the osmo handle i have even put tape over the 3.5 to be safe and make sure it worked

Yes i have done a shoot to find out the jack slipped out a little bit to find no audio was there bar the very first thing we did and must have got knocked while moving to the next location .
2018-6-5
Use props
Phil - P3P
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sorry but are you saying that whilst the standard Osmo turns off the fan whilst recording video, the Pro at 3x the cost does not?
2018-8-30
Use props
Phil - P3P
lvl.1
United Kingdom

mixchief Posted at 2018-2-5 17:53
wireless lev works perfectly, used it for about a year or so on a daily basis.

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread but could you provide a link to such please?
2018-8-30
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Phil - P3P Posted at 2018-8-30 03:20
Sorry to hijack someone else's thread but could you provide a link to such please?

https://www.google.com/search?q= ... eid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have a wireless Audio Technica Lav I might be willing to sell reasonably
2018-8-30
Use props
Phil - P3P
lvl.1
United Kingdom

mixchief Posted at 2018-8-30 08:36
https://www.google.com/search?q= ... eid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have a wireless Audio Technica Lav I might be willing to sell reasonably

aaah, many thanks - a mic with a receiver pack.  I already have a few Sony sets but had thought (naively) that there was an Osmo specific one, or one specifically suited to an Osmo.
2018-8-30
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Phil - P3P Posted at 2018-8-30 11:16
aaah, many thanks - a mic with a receiver pack.  I already have a few Sony sets but had thought (naively) that there was an Osmo specific one, or one specifically suited to an Osmo.

A MIC IS A MIC IS A MIC as long as the connectors (pretty standard) match or you have adaptors. There is no such thing as a mic being particularly suited for any devise as long as you pay attention to impedances etc. Most likely if the devise has the same type connector as the mic, they are suited for one another, if they don't then you have to carefully match as adaptors don't necessarily match impedance for best performance. What I think is most important is to use a mic that is as far away from the Osmo as possible as it is pretty noisy and more so if it is equipped with an X5R. If you are in a "live" space (acoustically speaking) you might run into noise issues anyway as the fan noise can be much more than appropriate for such a space. Osmo works best out doors and in a very "dead" interior space, and again as far away from the mic as it's possible.
2018-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules