Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low flying aircraft
619 6 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_OGDk8wq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12011 ft
United States

I live in an area that seems to have a Lot of low flying planes and helicopters.  I flew yesterday about 6 miles from an airport and a plane "appeared" to be around 600ish ft high. Also helicopters fly along the rivers and even neighborhoods at what "appears" to be 300 to 600 ft.   Should I be concerned about this even though I'm flying in approved areas? Today I saw a helicopter fly really low above my house.     Are they supposed to fly below 400? Would I be at fault if something were to happen?

Thank u   
2018-1-25
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

If something were to happen, you would be at fault for sure. Note that planes are way bigger than drones and can appear much lower than they really are. I wouldn't worry too much about planes especially if you're more than 6 miles away from the closest airport.
I'd be concerned about the helicopters though, because those often fly as low as 500 feets and maybe even lower. If you're seriously concerned about hitting an helicopter, then you could set your max altitude to 250-300 feets. How far away is the closest heliport?
2018-1-25
Use props
djiuser_OGDk8wq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12011 ft
United States

There's a couple hospital heliports in the area closest is about 4 miles but that's not what I usually see.  It's military helicopters cruising the area
2018-1-25
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Well per FAA requirements all manned aircraft are to operate no lower than 500 feet AGL (this is one of the reasons why drones are held to 400') in rural/country (low to unpopulated) areas and 1000 feet AGL over urban/built-up (populated) areas
This is exclusive of aircraft operating in and around an airport, for example aircraft on approach/departure can and will fly lower.  Since you stated that you have a heliport within 4 miles then helos could be considered "on approach" to that port therefore flying lower.
Lastly, as a drone operator you are required to give way to all aircraft and helos.  Meaning even if you are operating at or below 400 feet and there is an incident you could still be found at fault.
The question to find an answer too is if those helos are really flying as low as you say and why.  For the record military aircraft are still subject to many of the same FAA regs especially when transiting areas between airfields and training routes or areas.  One possible exception is operational missions, but that is rare unless you live near a disaster area etc.  I also doubt that you live near or below any training routes based on you description, although it is possible.
2018-1-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought the  military are exempt from the (insert abbreviation here)? they are here in the UK, the problem the OP has is that he knows they fly that low, so should anything happen (god forbid) it would be down to the pilot, you must take any and all precautions to make sure your flight is as safe as it can be, that includes mititgating risks also namely the low fliers in your case, you know about them so you shouldnt fly there. If you can find out how low they buz your area then you can set your limits accordingly.
2018-1-25
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-25 21:28
I thought the  military are exempt from the (insert abbreviation here)? they are here in the UK, the problem the OP has is that he knows they fly that low, so should anything happen (god forbid) it would be down to the pilot, you must take any and all precautions to make sure your flight is as safe as it can be, that includes mititgating risks also namely the low fliers in your case, you know about them so you shouldnt fly there. If you can find out how low they buz your area then you can set your limits accordingly.

Well I wont speak for UK military flights but I can say for sure that US Military aircraft must adhere to the host nation's airspace rules & regulations without question, and that goes for flights in the UK.  Even if granted a waiver, it almost always applies to an area that is already designated for military operations or in an area with a low population, mostly out at sea.  The only thing that removes any rule sets is operational missions i.e. wartime flights and I'm pretty sure that if that were the case then you are not likely to be out flying your drone for grins.
For all US Military flights in US airspace they are required to follow FAA regulations, granted those same rules are codified in US military flight regs and manuals and are either the same or more restrictive and in the few cases that they are different it is almost certainly based on a waiver of some kind.  Other than that, the same factors mentioned above apply in the US too.
Bottom Line NO military aircraft do not have a blank check to fly anywhere at anytime in any manner...indeed they are not exempt.
2018-1-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For the UK

TTAs are activated at specific times throughout each day and when a TTA is active, fixed wing aircraft can fly as low as 100 feet AGL. This is not the case with routine low flying training, which is conducted across the UK on a daily basis. Outside the published TTA times the airspace is classed as a normal low flying area where fixed wing aircraft routinely fly at a minimum height of 250 feet AGL and helicopters are authorised down to ground level.

Looks like the US is 500ft so different for sure
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules