drone crashes, not my fault
1714 10 2018-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa10ff705
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9026 ft
United States

I was flying my Spark yesterday when all of a sudden it started flying off in a random direction. I let go of the joysticks on my RC, but the drone continued flying. Soon, it hit a tree and fell 30 feet to the ground. The gimbal and camera have come off, now only attached to the drone by a rope of wires. Unfortunately, I was not recording when this happened. It was one of my first flights so I was very disappointed. I was wondering if DJI refunds these kinds of things, as I did not pilot it into the tree. I did fly without GPS, but I don't think this should have affected anything. I did not get any errors besides that, and the drone was very close by. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and if somebody could shed some light on what I should do now?
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are very sorry to read about the crash accident, please contact our support team to start a ticket and send in the drone for data analysis, we have the professional data analysis team who would do their best to find out the crash reason and then the corresponding resolution would be provided, thank you.
2018-1-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

By any chance did you take off from concrete or some location where metal might have been nearby? If so that could have affected the compass.

I did fly without GPS, but I don't think this should have affected anything

Having GPS (or not) makes a big difference. If -- as seems likely -- you were flying in ATTI mode then the drone will just drift with the wind.

shed some light on what I should do now?

DJI will replace it for free if they determine it was a product defect, or for a fee if you have Care Refresh and choose to use it (which I'd probably recommend). If you want someone outside of DJI to try to figure out what happened then upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions and post a link to the uploaded log in this thread.
2018-1-26
Use props
Swaginator
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-26 13:42
By any chance did you take off from concrete or some location where metal might have been nearby? If so that could have affected the compass.

I did fly without GPS, but I don't think this should have affected anything

I did not take off from anywhere near metal, and there were no compass errors. There was a slight wind which may have affected it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't blow the drone 50 feet in one direction. I do not have Care Refresh, so if DJI comes to the conclusion that it was my fault, what are my options?
2018-1-26
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Swaginator Posted at 2018-1-26 15:41
I did not take off from anywhere near metal, and there were no compass errors. There was a slight wind which may have affected it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't blow the drone 50 feet in one direction. I do not have Care Refresh, so if DJI comes to the conclusion that it was my fault, what are my options?

If you disagree with their initial assessment you can request -- and usually get -- a second look, but there's no guarantee it'll be different. Each case is handled separately and there seems to be an element of luck involved in whether their analysis results in a favorable outcome.

Again, if you're really convinced that you weren't to blame for the crash then the best thing to do would be to upload the log to PhantomHelp and post a link to it here. If the uploaded log supports the idea of the crash being caused by a defect then that'll give you a bit of leverage when it comes to dealing with DJI.
2018-1-26
Use props
Swaginator
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-26 18:45
If you disagree with their initial assessment you can request -- and usually get -- a second look, but there's no guarantee it'll be different. Each case is handled separately and there seems to be an element of luck involved in whether their analysis results in a favorable outcome.

Again, if you're really convinced that you weren't to blame for the crash then the best thing to do would be to upload the log to PhantomHelp and post a link to it here. If the uploaded log supports the idea of the crash being caused by a defect then that'll give you a bit of leverage when it comes to dealing with DJI.

Well, here's the link:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/3FY51YJ9BKO7NU6NJOF9/
I don't think it shows very much. It says that I was always going at 0 mph, which contradicts even the flight log on my phone. But, maybe I'm seeing something wrong. Thanks
2018-1-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Swaginator Posted at 2018-1-26 15:41
I did not take off from anywhere near metal, and there were no compass errors. There was a slight wind which may have affected it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't blow the drone 50 feet in one direction. I do not have Care Refresh, so if DJI comes to the conclusion that it was my fault, what are my options?

Sir, please wait patiently for the analysis and you can inform us if you have doubt in the case. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-27
Use props
rogerOz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1040587 ft
Australia

I had the fimware of my spark updated last saturday then in the first
fly while it was taking off it drifted to the left and hit a wall , now I have to pay to replace
the frame , how about that ?
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

rogerOz Posted at 2018-1-29 17:33
I had the fimware of my spark updated last saturday then in the first
fly while it was taking off it drifted to the left and hit a wall , now I have to pay to replace
the frame , how about that ?

Hello Sir, sorry for the crash accident, may I have the case number? I will help to check the exact status, thank you.
2018-1-29
Use props
Umair Khan
New

United Arab Emirates

Something bad happened to me as well.
I fly my drone and only after 10 seconds my drone was diconnected with the RC. i tried to move my joysticks but on my mobile screen it was written disconnected.
and my drone was heading towards wall. i was confident that the drone will stop there when it will see object in front of it but drone didnot stop and crashed into the wall and from wall it went down to ground and splash into pieces.
i was supposed to make unboxing video of my drone and unfortunalty after the incident i posted carsh story of my drone i already contacted DJI SUPPORT to check into my matter. because it was not my fault at all. its a defect in drone which got automatic disconnected and crashed into the wall.
i hope i will get my crashed drone replaced ::((
2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Umair Khan Posted at 2-12 06:30
Something bad happened to me as well.
I fly my drone and only after 10 seconds my drone was diconnected with the RC. i tried to move my joysticks but on my mobile screen it was written disconnected.
and my drone was heading towards wall. i was confident that the drone will stop there when it will see object in front of it but drone didnot stop and crashed into the wall and from wall it went down to ground and splash into pieces.

Hi Umair Khan, we sincerely apologize for the crash accident, if it turns out to be a product issue after the data analysis, we will provide the warranty service. I failed to get the case number via your Forum account, if you need any assistance, please keep us updated with the case number, thank you.
2019-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules