Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Obsidian less bugs than the regular P4P?
12Next >
1869 40 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I know this may sound like a conspiracy theory, but who here owned a P4P prior to getting a Obsidion?
Did you notice any better stability in terms of bugs and flaws, or did you not notice any difference at all?
I got a P4P, the second one, and its virtually impossible to use for any pro work, camera that gets stuck in the ribbon cable during up and down panning, loss of video feed at only short distances, loss of GPS signals that causes unexpexted drifting, even if the reception are at max, sudden SD card errors, which is impossible to fix in the field, unless you got a spare card, or a laptop with you, worst case you lose half of the work youve already recorded.
The list goes on...
I cannot keep replacing these drones, especially not being without it for a week or two while the one i got is in repair, and im certainly not going to buy a second one for backup.

So, this is why im asking, is the Obsidion an improved version of the original P4P, or not? (I know its not officially, but there are often improvments done secretely, like fw updates) Is it worth selling the one i have and replace it with the Obs?
Im only interested in thoughts from whom of you that have owned both.

Cheers
2018-1-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

im asking, is the Obsidion an improved version of the original P4P, or not?
It's exactly the same drone but it has a coloured shell.
If you think a black shell will make a big difference, go for it.

Sounds like you found a lemon but your experience isn't typical.
Neither of my P4 pros has ever exhibited any bugs and many other users have had a similar experience.

I cannot keep replacing these drones, especially not being without  it for a week or two while the one i got is in repair, and im certainly  not going to buy a second one for backup.

It's hard to see the sense in that.
If you use the drone professionally and can't afford to be without it, you really need a backup machine.
If you have problems with your drone and have no backup, that doesn't sound like a good strategy.

2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-26 03:36

Have you owned both the P4P and the Obsidian version?
2018-1-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 03:42
Have you owned both the P4P and the Obsidian version?

I have two white ones so I have no need to buy another that is the same except it's black.
If you want to hope that DJI have secretly fitted all kinds of improvements,  - they haven't.
If they had, don't you think their marketing people would have done plenty to tell the world?
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-26 03:52
I have two white ones so I have no need to buy another that is the same except it's black.
If you want to hope that DJI have secretly fitted all kinds of improvements,  - they haven't.
If they had, don't you think their marketing people would have done plenty to tell the world?

Respectfully, im not interested in your personal opinions, or your Logic 101 that says "mine works flawlessly, so then everyone elses does"
If you read my OP, you will see that i was only interested in hearing from people who actually owned both.
Have a nice day!
2018-1-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 03:55
Respectfully, im not interested in your personal opinions, or your Logic 101 that says "mine works flawlessly, so then everyone elses does"
If you read my OP, you will see that i was only interested in hearing from people who actually owned both.
Have a nice day!

If that's what you think I was telling you, you need to learn to read.
2018-1-26
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I dont own the white edition but got the Obsidian in + version. Im running  FW version V01.04.0602
because I don't dare to upgrade to the most resent FW.
My AC got no isses at all as is right now.
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

FarmerMac Posted at 2018-1-26 04:11
I dont own the white edition but got the Obsidian in + version. Im running  FW version V01.04.0602
because I don't dare to upgrade to the most resent FW.
My AC got no isses at all as is right now.

Thanks! How long have you had yours?
2018-1-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If you read my OP, you will see that i was only interested in hearing from people who actually owned both.
Have a nice day!

Respectfully, I think you misunderstand.  Labroides is quite simply the most knowledgeable person on this forum.  What you are talking about is like going to a Mercedes dealer and asking which car is better, white or black.
2018-1-26
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 04:12
Thanks! How long have you had yours?

I bought it 28. dec 2017, so it's relativly new.
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-1-26 04:16
Respectfully, I think you misunderstand.  Labroides is quite simply the most knowledgeable person on this forum.  What you are talking about is like going to a Mercedes dealer and asking which car is better, white or black.

Respectfully, again, im not interested in your personal opinions about other things than what im actually asking for.
Please try and respect that.
Thanks
2018-1-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Respectably again, Maybe you should ask DJI this question.  I would be very interested in their answer.
2018-1-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 04:20
Respectfully, again, im not interested in your personal opinions about other things than what im actually asking for.
Please try and respect that.
Thanks

It's really hard to have any respect when what you are asking and your attitude to people giving you sensible advice is so stupid.
Alabamba's analogy is perfect.
Is the white car better than the black car?

But go ahead and search for the mystic truth of how the black shell causes a flux change that supercharges the electronics and makes everything much better.
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-26 04:34
It's really hard to have any respect when what you are asking and your attitude to people giving you sensible advice is so stupid.
Alabamba's analogy is perfect.
Is the white car better than the black car?

Is that title of yours getting to your head, or do you have a freepass of always trolling around this forum glueing on peoples threads without any consequences, despite they respectfully ask you to stick to the topic?
2018-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Have a nice day!

It seems all your threads end up the same way, you come looking for information but your OP usually sounds obnoxious, and tries to exclude as many as possible , including those with much to offer and to save you time, particularly when you are being a little delusional, so a very pragmatic answer to all your questions is given, but it’s not the answer you want to hear, so the child in you seems to come out, and this shows in your childish answers.

If you are only interested in getting answers which back up your theory or opinion , then you should set up your own forum .” Me myself Irene and Cineview”

The forum is here to help others who wish to be helped, all answers to a thread should be respected and treated with respect and the knowledge that those who reply are doing so to help the OP and others who are interested in the thread subject.
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-26 04:56
It seems all your threads end up the same way, you come looking for information but your OP usually sounds obnoxious, and tries to exclude as many as possible , including those with much to offer and to save you time, particularly when you are being a little delusional, so a very pragmatic answer to all your questions is given, but it’s not the answer you want to hear, so the child in you seems to come out, and this shows in your childish answers.

If you are only interested in getting answers which back up your theory or opinion , then you should set up your own forum .” Me myself Irene and Cineview”

What part of respectfully not hijacking my thread dont you understand? Tell me!
2018-1-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

I see this as going nowhere but downward.  Why not go ahead and purchase the Obsidian, and formulate your own answer.  Come back and post your findings.
2018-1-26
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France

Some muvers do avem!

2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to tell you the P4P White and Obsidian share all the same specs, including the firmware. The only difference is the color: one is white and another is black. I know this might be not the answer you are looking for, but that's the truth. Regarding the issues of your drone, could you be more specific of these? We'd like to help and see whether they can be figured out remotely. Your understanding and cooperation will be highly appreciated.  
2018-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 05:00
What part of respectfully not hijacking my thread dont you understand? Tell me!

As I said you require setting your own forum for you, you already know the answers you are going to accept and you should take note that this forum is open to all members to comment on any thread.
2018-1-26
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-26 05:02
I'm sorry to tell you the P4P White and Obsidian share all the same specs, including the firmware. The only difference is the color: one is white and another is black. I know this might be not the answer you are looking for, but that's the truth. Regarding the issues of your drone, could you be more specific of these? We'd like to help and see whether they can be figured out remotely. Your understanding and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

That actually is not 100% correct as the Obsidian had a FW v 1.04.0703 that has never been available for the white P4P's.
Any other differences?
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-26 05:22
That actually is not 100% correct as the Obsidian had a FW v 1.04.0703 that has never been available for the white P4P's.
Any other differences?

Thats interesting, whats the explanation for this?
2018-1-26
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 05:30
Thats interesting, whats the explanation for this?

Hard to tell, but possibly due to the Air encoder error that was reported by several Obsidian owners.
Still, if this should require a FW not intended for the white's, that itself indicate a difference ...
2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

So, maybe im not so way off after all then, since there are at least one different component in the Obsidian, could it be two, or maybe even three? ;)
2018-1-26
Use props
noflyzone69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240361 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 05:56
So, maybe im not so way off after all then, since there are at least one different component in the Obsidian, could it be two, or maybe even three? ;)

I can see that some "people" on here don't like the questions you ask they all have a way of trying to turn a simple question into a war of words and logic.  Maybe they are the ones that should go form  a Captain EGO forum and get each other off by telling  each other how big their ego is until one blows a ego gasket ! ... Just saying !

ALso  If your have a white  p4p  the white will refect light and be less warmer that a black version as black absorbs light  that should create more heat  may be small but if I recall the motors are black too. I could be way wrong on this  but looks to me that  the black verson would get hotter than the white if you were flying on a sunny day....

2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

noflyzone69 Posted at 2018-1-26 20:11
I can see that some "people" on here don't like the questions you ask they all have a way of trying to turn a simple question into a war of words and logic.  Maybe they are the ones that should go form  a Captain EGO forum and get each other off by telling  each other how big their ego is until one blows a ego gasket ! ... Just saying !

The funny thing, is what im claiming or saying is almost always right.
I got at least one proof of that in this thread, still...

Its not a matter of opinion, neither a conspiracy theory, but a fact, that companies doesnt ALWAYS tell you everything they know, and that is very common for firmware updates, they list a bunch of bug fixes, but underneath theres usually also allot of other fixes they dont want to inform you about, its like a "if we admit certain flaws, it could damage our reputation" the never admit more than they have to, its simply a tactical business decision.
If they admitted that the Obsidion was an improved model, yet still the exact same features, what do you think would happen to all the regular P4P around the shops? The sales would stall, and the market would collapse. Basic business 101.
There are obviously small improvements inside the Obsidian, as theres a different fw for it, and confirms that im not only being paranoid.
Of course they wouldnt inform the admins or moderators on their forum about this.
Most likely, they replaced a few of the components that caused repeating problems, like disconnecting gps, camera ribbon cables that were to wide and got stuck in the camera during tilt, unless it was properly and carefully mounted, SD card reader problems. At least those 3 issues were called for to be dealt with.
Shipping units back and forth for repair also cost a fortune causing a big hit to the profit per unit.

Ive already had two of these units, last one i simply didnt have the energy to run back and forth to the shop keep replacing them, instead i just learn how to deal with the issues when they occur, but now last week, i was out shooting a commercial in a tight space (yea, whos crazy enough to use a Phantom 4 Pro for pro work, i must be an amateur, right?)
What happened, is that during a take when descending, i did a pan up sequence, half way trough it, the misplaced ribbon cable got caught in the camera, and ruined the shot, so i cannot deal with this anymore, if i return this one, it will be for good, that is also the reason i want to hear from the guys who actually owned both, or at least the black one, and not from the nitpickers that think the know everything in this world, just cause they reddit, and in the end are wrong anyway...

Im looking to get an Inspire, but im hesitating due to how Dji handle things, in terms of dealing with  professional users.
Do i really want to spend that much money on their products, considering the level of customer support, that is the question im asking myself, and im still not convinced yet.
Just got a Ronin 2, which im very happy with so far, so i guess im slowly getting there...

The Phantom as well certainly has it place in pro productions, due to the small footprint, especially as a B camera, but it needs to work the way its suppose to do, otherwise its useless.
If i were Dji, i would perfect all the current models before releasing new ones all the time, i feel they are stumbling in their own feet for noe reason at all, they virtually have no competition at all.
2018-1-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-26 05:56
So, maybe im not so way off after all then, since there are at least one different component in the Obsidian, could it be two, or maybe even three? ;)

Or maybe nothing at all.
The Obsidian (or at least early production Obsidian) shipped with a firmware version that was never released in the wild.
Subsequent firmware updates have been the same as the vanilla P4 pro.

That's interesting but hardly confirming that the black and white drones have different components.
An alternative hypothesis is that DJI were working on firmware improvements and producing black drones so the initial batch got that new firmware version which was superseded the following week by an even newer version.

If you were making them and ran out of component X or found a slightly better component Y, why would you maintain separate models with slightly different components?
Wouldn't you use the newer/better/cheaper components in all black & white drones from then on?

2018-1-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

"If you were making them and ran out of component X or found a slightly better component Y, why would you maintain separate models with slightly different components?
Wouldn't you use the newer/better/cheaper components in all black & white drones from then on?"

Yes, that would make sense for most people, but then again, if that information got out, that the latest batch of white P4P got better components than the earlier production models, then all the customers would demand to get the newest ones, and not the ones all the thousands of units sitting in shops around the world.
If the fw would all be the same, they could quitely continue manufacturing the "upgraded" white ones as well, but since its obviously different, they are forced to keep this one within the black series, or they would have to say "New fw update for P4P, but check which white version you have" Get it?
Its a very complicated matter, but IF they use the exact same components in the black as the white, then they wouldnt use another fw, it makes no sense...

I still believe theres small improvements inside the black most users will never notice, but make them more stable in terms returning bugs.

I know you and many other people have flawless machines, but theres also many that havent, you just have to accept and respect that. Not everyone are stupid cause they got a bad unit you know

Remember also, that most of the users are probably not in any forums, or not even on internet sharing their experience, but instead dealing with their local dealers, so Dji are the only ones who got the actuall statistics for this...

Anyway, considering that this model have been in production for almost two years now, i find it likely that there have still been improvements in both the assembling line and the production, since last year, also the white one...
2018-1-27
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both. I find the Obsidian much easier to find on the horizon, in fact, I can sight it very easily compared to the white shell which is very difficult to see. in the distance on a clear day.
2018-1-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-1-27 05:06
I have both. I find the Obsidian much easier to find on the horizon, in fact, I can sight it very easily compared to the white shell which is very difficult to see. in the distance on a clear day.

Had any issues with disconnecting gps and ATTI modes?
2018-1-27
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-27 05:11
Had any issues with disconnecting gps and ATTI modes?

Funny you should mention that. The GPS disconnects quite a bit and it doesn't like the cold. Been trying to figure that one out.
2018-1-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-1-27 05:50
Funny you should mention that. The GPS disconnects quite a bit and it doesn't like the cold. Been trying to figure that one out.

So no improvements on that part then...
2018-1-27
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-27 07:40
So no improvements on that part then...

I should probably explain. There is no GPS in Attitude mode. My issue was GPS was disconnecting in Program Mode. I am thinking that it may be the cold weather. I flew today after doing the latest update to my iPad and switched over from the GO program to the GO 4 Program and it didn't happen today. Although the temp was 50F. It was very windy and quite a battle but the GPS worked fine. 20 MPH wind with 30 MPH Gusts. Needless to say the batteries didn't last long. Another issue that I have had up until today and hopefully the IOS update took care of it , was, that the GO program would just quit mid flight.. The same thing would happen with my Mavic Platinum using an iPhone. That pretty much sends the issue to the GO program. That didn't happen today so maybe it was addressed in the latest update.
2018-1-27
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-26 03:36

Easily Agreed.
2018-1-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

So you guys actually belive i was referring to the color of the shell?
2018-1-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-1-27 12:21
I should probably explain. There is no GPS in Attitude mode. My issue was GPS was disconnecting in Program Mode. I am thinking that it may be the cold weather. I flew today after doing the latest update to my iPad and switched over from the GO program to the GO 4 Program and it didn't happen today. Although the temp was 50F. It was very windy and quite a battle but the GPS worked fine. 20 MPH wind with 30 MPH Gusts. Needless to say the batteries didn't last long. Another issue that I have had up until today and hopefully the IOS update took care of it , was, that the GO program would just quit mid flight.. The same thing would happen with my Mavic Platinum using an iPhone. That pretty much sends the issue to the GO program. That didn't happen today so maybe it was addressed in the latest update.

Yes, thats what i meant, when gps disconnect it enters ATTI and you need to control it manually.
I dont believe its a temp issue, this happens randomly all year round, regardless of locations....
2018-1-27
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-27 15:20
Yes, thats what i meant, when gps disconnect it enters ATTI and you need to control it manually.
I dont believe its a temp issue, this happens randomly all year round, regardless of locations....

That is what happens. GPS is disconnected when it enters ATTI Mode and you do have to fly the aircraft on its own. I have experienced the random GPS disconnect. I think it is an issue with the program because the aircraft is definitely under GPS control. I think that it is a false notice and things are actually normal. As far as the extreme wind goes, the batteries still have a normal run time, The distance is cut drastically due to the extreme work that is going on.
2018-1-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-1-27 17:38
That is what happens. GPS is disconnected when it enters ATTI Mode and you do have to fly the aircraft on its own. I have experienced the random GPS disconnect. I think it is an issue with the program because the aircraft is definitely under GPS control. I think that it is a false notice and things are actually normal. As far as the extreme wind goes, the batteries still have a normal run time, The distance is cut drastically due to the extreme work that is going on.

Yes, def a problem somewhere, and like you say, probably a software issue. Same here, max gps reception, still it goes in and out of service.
Its okay to deal with when the craft is in close proximity, if its further away and the feed disconnects on top of it, then youre busted, and you can only pray its coming back anytime soon, or if youre very confident of its heading, apply sticks and just wait until it comes back, had that happen to me several times, not a very good feeling...
2018-1-28
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-28 00:58
Yes, def a problem somewhere, and like you say, probably a software issue. Same here, max gps reception, still it goes in and out of service.
Its okay to deal with when the craft is in close proximity, if its further away and the feed disconnects on top of it, then youre busted, and you can only pray its coming back anytime soon, or if youre very confident of its heading, apply sticks and just wait until it comes back, had that happen to me several times, not a very good feeling...

I use my aircraft indicator in the lower left corner in the display to determine the aircrafts orientation and heading when I am not sure of its direction of travel. Be sure to calibrate your compass in your tablet and the compass in the Phantom to make sure they are in sync and you can bring it back to you spot on every time. I practice this quite often and use it quite a bit. When your aircraft is on the horizon at quite a distance you can see it but you cannot distinguish its direction of travel. It is a great tool to bring it back every time.
2018-1-28
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-1-28 04:19
I use my aircraft indicator in the lower left corner in the display to determine the aircrafts orientation and heading when I am not sure of its direction of travel. Be sure to calibrate your compass in your tablet and the compass in the Phantom to make sure they are in sync and you can bring it back to you spot on every time. I practice this quite often and use it quite a bit. When your aircraft is on the horizon at quite a distance you can see it but you cannot distinguish its direction of travel. It is a great tool to bring it back every time.

Yes, as long as it is connected to the app, its not a problem, if not, then youre in a wild guess.
I learned from helicopters, that the safest way out, is always up, so i always start by ascending before heading anywhere without knowing the exact heading, that gives you at least some headroom if you start to run in the wrong direction, depending of the environment of course...
2018-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules