Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Who upgraded the camera from X5R to X7
770 4 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineView Media
First Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Is it a HUGE difference in picture quality and DR? How about the low light performance?
2018-1-26
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

The difference is subtle, but significant in several ways.

1) The lens system seems to be a general improvement over the range of M4/3 lenses ( generally sharper in the corners, none of the centering issues that plagued certain Olympus lenses )
2) Noise is slightly less present in the x7
3) 6k raw offers true resolution increase over x5s
4) Better color range throughout, more natural color in deep shadows.
5) Less Aliasing (actually X7 only shows minor aliasing in 4k raw mode, other modes look perfect). X5s has minor, but significant aliasing at all resolutions.
6) DR between the cameras seems very similar, but the X7 rolls off the highlights a tad more smoothly, I think they are mimicking Arri here.

The above characteristics are all subtle improvements. If you are looking for some huge change in Resolution or DR, then you're likely to be disappointed as others have (and frankly, you'd be guilty of not paying attention to the specifications -- i.e. -- when comparing 4k files -- the are all going to have 4k of information unless one of them doesn't -- in this case both the x5s and x7 do). These improvements ARE significant to someone doing high end cinema work. Aliasing is a big deal on a 40-90 foot screen. If you're someone who likes your footage looking crispy on your 4k-5k monitor, you will probably prefer the x5s.
2018-1-30
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-1-30 07:43
The difference is subtle, but significant in several ways.

1) The lens system seems to be a general improvement over the range of M4/3 lenses ( generally sharper in the corners, none of the centering issues that plagued certain Olympus lenses )

Thanks for the headsup!

The price difference between X5S and X7 pro wise isnt that much, and in my opinion, since this isnt high end cameras, the little extra is better than little less, the more the better, so if can produce slightly better shots from the X7, then i think its worth it.
Sensor size, DR, noise and sharpness is important factors here, imo.
Im considering a I2 kit with X7 before summer, but im not rushing it, for all we know, there might be some other new models surfacing before that
2018-1-30
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-1-30 13:32
Thanks for the headsup!

The price difference between X5S and X7 pro wise isnt that much, and in my opinion, since this isnt high end cameras, the little extra is better than little less, the more the better, so if can produce slightly better shots from the X7, then i think its worth it.

The difference is cost is really in the lenses...as DJI has priced them as "cinema" glass (which they are not). Also, to take advantage of the increased resolution in RAW you have to consider media/storage, as those 6k raw files eat hard drives like I eat calimari.
2018-1-30
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-1-30 17:04
The difference is cost is really in the lenses...as DJI has priced them as "cinema" glass (which they are not). Also, to take advantage of the increased resolution in RAW you have to consider media/storage, as those 6k raw files eat hard drives like I eat calimari.

I have a feeling that theres not much difference in latitude from DNG to 4444XQ on this camera, and that DNG is just a waste of space, and only for real demanding environments...
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules