Drones in South Africa
2138 4 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ewanm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18786 ft
United Kingdom

Visitng Western Cape in February for a few days and would like to bring my drone. What is the latest regulations. Having lived in SA for a few year long ago I do understand that it sometimes depend on who the official is that you talk to whet the rules are, but according to this page I found on another forum the official regulations are not too bad
https://phantompilots.com/threads/taking-drone-to-south-africa.106355/

Has anyone had problems on the airport bring a drone in i.e. hand or check-in, what is the best option?
Thanks
See you Feb.
2018-1-26
Use props
ewanm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So I just had the batteries in my hand luggage  and the drone was in my check-in luggage. I always keep my camera, Gopro batteries with me. No issues except that in Oman on my transfers I was stopped at security both times to get my camera equipment swabbed for drugs or explosives. They were very quick and efficient so no complaints.
2018-3-20
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

I was in SA in Sep 18 with a Spark and Mavic Pro all in carry on.  No problems bringing them on board carry on.  In fact they sell the Spark and Mavic Pro in the airport at Joburg and Cape Town.  Cannot fly in the national parks, there are NO Drone signs at the entrances otherwise I had no issues.
2018-3-20
Use props
ewanm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-3-20 18:56
I was in SA in Sep 18 with a Spark and Mavic Pro all in carry on.  No problems bringing them on board carry on.  In fact they sell the Spark and Mavic Pro in the airport at Joburg and Cape Town.  Cannot fly in the national parks, there are NO Drone signs at the entrances otherwise I had no issues.

I just like to keep all my batteries with me, seen too many youtube videos of batteries exploding. It seems they are more worried about camera equipment in hand luggage than the batteries, been stopped and tested in Doha and Italy last three trips. Wonder if it is drugs or explosives they are checking for.
2018-3-23
Use props
Aryeh B
New

South Africa

Does anybody know of a reasonably priced repair place around Gauteng? I'm having gimbal issues with my Spark .
2018-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules