Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Message on RC 'JOYSTICK'
544 4 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ttait01
lvl.1
United States

I had my first indoor flight today, I wanted to take a sphere panorama of my shop for my Gear VR.

Since my shop has a garage door, I started outside and flew in.  I hovered at 6 ft. and started the panorama.  I walked around the drone so I wouldn't appear in the photos.
When it had finished, I was going to fly it outside agian, but the aircraft was totally unresponsive to any joystick movement.  The remote had the word 'JOYSTICK' on it but everything else seemed OK.  

Since I'm admittidly a newbie, I got a little worried.  I wondered what the return to home would do if the battery level became critical.  I thought I would just grab the Mavic from below and then press the power button to turn it off.  Of course, it detected my hand and moved up.

I have never seen or heard of this before.  Then I touched the controller icon on the app screen, and all was well again.  I landed the Mavic on my shop floor and tried to do a little research.
I printed the manual for the Mavic Pro and combed through it for any reference to the 'JOYSTICK' message with no luck.  I did several searches of the forum with no relevant results.

I am using DJI Go 4 (v.4.2.4), and I have the latest firmware installed on everything.  At the time, I was using my Galaxy Tablet S2, using the restart method to get it working.  My normal driver is a Samsung S7 Edge.  Since the issue was on the remote, I don't think it was related to the device I was using to run the app.  And this is a MPP. (very nice)

It was strange to see my Mavic in a nice hover but have absolutely no control over it.  I would have felt very bad had this been much further away over trees or water instead of right in front of me at 5 ft.

Is there a button that I pushed that caused this? Touching the remote icon for intelligent flight modes on the screen brought back control, but it was sheer luck that I tried that.  

2018-1-26
Use props
nnote
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

A newbies first mistake is usually flying indoors, right out of the box.
Dont.
Read the manual several times over, open up youtube and watch a ton of user videos. Then, go out to a wide open space, put your Mavic in beginner mode and ease into it.
2018-1-26
Use props
ttait01
lvl.1
United States

nnote Posted at 2018-1-26 17:02
Dont.
Read the manual several times over, open up youtube and watch a ton of user videos. Then, go out to a wide open space, put your Mavic in beginner mode and ease into it.

I said my first indoor flight, not my first flight.  The focus of my post is the RC message 'JOYSTICK' not 'READY TO GO'.  I had no problems flying in my rather large shop, but I did have a problem with unresponsive joysticks.  And a lack of reference to any message like this on the RC.  
What would be the purpose of inhibiting flight controls?
2018-1-26
Use props
ttait01
lvl.1
United States

nnote Posted at 2018-1-26 17:02
Dont.

New to Drones, not to RC.  My Align 450 is now retired.
2018-1-26
Use props
ttait01
lvl.1
United States

Just found this post:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-95718-1-1.html

My issue seems related, but I didn't use any app but DJI Go 4 as stated in my first post.  I can only surmise that the panorama mode did not return control to the remote after completing.  This would be a bug that needs to be addressed by DJI.
2018-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules