RTH caused another crash.
12Next >
2150 44 2018-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Foots
lvl.2
United States

My P3S took a pretty good fall after dangling in a tree but still able to fly with limited range. The issues I'm having is the remote controller power light stays red, no video feed from camera and DJI Go camera screen shows disconnected on the top with N/A in all telemetry. I have tried re-linking the RC and AC with no luck, it just times out. I have tried FW updates, no luck. I have tried RC WiFi reset, no luck there either. If I start it up normally the camera light is green, the link light on the AC is green, the rear lights are flashing green slowly. The remote controller power light stays red.
2018-1-27
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Strange, Hopefully DJI can help. Maybe try linking with USB cable and try to relink the RC and AC again. Sorry for your misfortune!
2018-1-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

It seems pretty obvious your P3S is in serious need of service.

I'm just a little confused why you 'blame' RTH for what appears to be your error for planting it into a tree and then it falling down ?

If RTH put it into a tree - then its still pilot error for not having RTH altitude set high enough.

Sorry to be blunt. No disrespect intended.

Nigel
2018-1-27
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-27 12:18
It seems pretty obvious your P3S is in serious need of service.

I'm just a little confused why you 'blame' RTH for what appears to be your error for planting it into a tree and then it falling down ?

No doubt it was my error! But everyone i know that crashed a Phantom was in RTH mode! Thats what I call a little DJI job security program. If this bird ever gets off the ground again RTH will be disabled!
2018-1-27
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry for your crash but RTH is a very useful feature, it is up to th3 pilot on each flight to determine the safe RTH altitude and set it accordingly. Or If you were flying below something and the RTH kicked in raising the drone into an object then this cannot be blamed on DJI. I can’t see how you can lay the blame anywhere apart from yourself.
2018-1-27
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-27 13:11
Sorry for your crash but RTH is a very useful feature, it is up to th3 pilot on each flight to determine the safe RTH altitude and set it accordingly. Or If you were flying below something and the RTH kicked in raising the drone into an object then this cannot be blamed on DJI. I can’t see how you can lay the blame anywhere apart from yourself.

Oh my, someone has their panties in a wad! If it makes you feel better and lets you sleep without a nightlight tonight I will say that it was totally my fault and DJI is the Greatest! Now do you have any suggestions on how to fix this bird or are you just wasting my time?
PS: I didn't post this looking for sympathy, just suggestions!
2018-1-27
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Foots Posted at 2018-1-27 13:58
Oh my, someone has their panties in a wad! If it makes you feel better and lets you sleep without a nightlight tonight I will say that it was totally my fault and DJI is the Greatest! Now do you have any suggestions on how to fix this bird or are you just wasting my time?

If his panties are in a wad, you must be wearing a thong. He's right.  Send it in.
2018-1-27
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2018-1-27 14:09
If his panties are in a wad, you must be wearing a thong. He's right.  Send it in.

Biiiiiiite me!
2018-1-27
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Foots Posted at 2018-1-27 13:58
Oh my, someone has their panties in a wad! If it makes you feel better and lets you sleep without a nightlight tonight I will say that it was totally my fault and DJI is the Greatest! Now do you have any suggestions on how to fix this bird or are you just wasting my time?

No, but your thread title and post makes it clear you blame the RTH for the crash
2018-1-27
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-27 12:16
Strange, Hopefully DJI can help. Maybe try linking with USB cable and try to relink the RC and AC again. Sorry for your misfortune!

Thanks for your intelligent reply!
2018-1-27
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-27 14:20
No, but your thread title and post makes it clear you blame the RTH for the crash

Do a little survey Einstein, see how many have crashed in RTH versus non RTH!
2018-1-27
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Foots Posted at 2018-1-27 14:41

I've never had my drone crash from using RTH and I use it every flight.

RTH did not cause your drone to crash. Something else did.

PILOT ERROR.png
2018-1-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

This is getting interesting. Fun little thread. Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-1-27
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Foots Posted at 2018-1-27 14:38
Thanks for your intelligent reply!

I can't tell if that is sarcastic or not. Sorry its not the answer you were hoping for
2018-1-27
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If you disable RTH, every flight of any longer distance will be a one way voyage.
2018-1-27
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

i always have my rth altitude set for 65 meter just in case
2018-1-27
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
Flight distance : 643061 ft
United States

Hey dude, sorry to hear about the crash. I see that everyone is bickering you about the RTH crash and so I will try not to as well .
2018-1-27
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
United States

Hey dude, sorry to hear about the crash. I see that everyone is bickering you about the RTH crash and so I will try not to as well . I would check the antenna cables going into the gimbal assembly first. I know from experimenting with the gimbal (as you can see from my profile pic) that if these aren't properly connected you will not get a 2.4 GHz signal from the drone. This will cause the red light on the controller and the drone will follow a 90 meter distance limit as a safety precaution. Of course, only disassemble the drone if you are up to the task and have experience taking apart fragile electronics.
2018-1-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Foots Posted at 2018-1-27 14:41

I'm not sure where to find those numbers.
Perhaps you can help and show us.

But any crash that may happen in RTH is 100% due to the operator and nothing that can be blamed on RTH.
Blaming RTh for a crash indicates a failure ti understand RTH properly.
Understanding what RTH is and how it works is a critical lesson for flying Phantoms successfully.
2018-1-27
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161437 ft
Italy

Josh the apple Posted at 2018-1-27 21:54
Hey dude, sorry to hear about the crash. I see that everyone is bickering you about the RTH crash and so I will try not to as well . I would check the antenna cables going into the gimbal assembly first. I know from experimenting with the gimbal (as you can see from my profile pic) that if these aren't properly connected you will not get a 2.4 GHz signal from the drone. This will cause the red light on the controller and the drone will follow a 90 meter distance limit as a safety precaution. Of course, only disassemble the drone if you are up to the task and have experience taking apart fragile electronics.

it seems to me the best solution!

MaxBDS
2018-1-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

WOW !!

Lets try to stay calm and not upset ...

Dear "Foots"
When the AC / RC does not connect via APP on your Phone / Tablet - the P3 will only fly to a max radius of 50m .... other guy says 90m - that;s wrong ... its 50m .... it also restricts altitude . I proved it and video'd for the masses ...

You need to get that P3 checked out properly. Yes it will be back to 'mother' for a month or so, it will eat into your beer money ... but at end of day - your P3 will work again.

I would further suggest that based on your misconception of RTH - that reading of the full manual while your P3 is in service would serve well for when you get it back.

Manual is available for download on DJI site ... latest version is V1.8 I believe ...

Nigel
2018-1-28
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I will bet if you ever get it working properly and disable RTH we will be seeing another lost drone post.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-27 17:14
I can't tell if that is sarcastic or not. Sorry its not the answer you were hoping for

Its sincere.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

Josh the apple Posted at 2018-1-27 21:54
Hey dude, sorry to hear about the crash. I see that everyone is bickering you about the RTH crash and so I will try not to as well . I would check the antenna cables going into the gimbal assembly first. I know from experimenting with the gimbal (as you can see from my profile pic) that if these aren't properly connected you will not get a 2.4 GHz signal from the drone. This will cause the red light on the controller and the drone will follow a 90 meter distance limit as a safety precaution. Of course, only disassemble the drone if you are up to the task and have experience taking apart fragile electronics.

Thanks for the input! I have disassembled the Drone and camera gimbal and looked for loose wires and connections already and found nothing. Thanks again for not jumping on the RTH bandwagon.
2018-1-28
Use props
Rhino9872
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5912037 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry I don’t have a suggestion how to fix it, but do you mind explaining a little about how it wound up in the tree?   I’d just like to know so the same thing doesn’t happen to me.  Thanks and good luck with it!
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

Rhino9872 Posted at 2018-1-28 07:07
Sorry I don’t have a suggestion how to fix it, but do you mind explaining a little about how it wound up in the tree?   I’d just like to know so the same thing doesn’t happen to me.  Thanks and good luck with it!

Well its embarrassing but here goes: I went straight up to max ceiling and flew around within sight and decided to try RTH again and experiment with it a little. I shut off RTH several hundred feet up and flew around some more then decided I wanted to try RTH again but take over control with the joysticks when in RTH mode, that worked great until i got close to some trees (around 30 ft up) and let go of the joysticks to rethink my strategy! Well RTH was still active and it decided to go up and return to home again. Ended up hanging by the prop guard about 40 feet up a tree. The removable prop guards eventually let go and the rest is history. I,m sure someone will call me stupid but I can live with that! But IMHO I think that RTH should work more like cruise control in a vehicle, when its off due to hitting the brakes or whatever, it shouldn't come back on by itself (joysticks should disable it until you hit RTH again).
2018-1-28
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

More pilot error I am afraid.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

PeteHB Posted at 2018-1-28 07:50
More pilot error I am afraid.

I am starting to see that I'm not going to make y'all understand that I agree, I screwed up! I would recommend that anybody else that wants to experiment with RTH please do it on a prairie somewhere with no trees for 250 miles in all directions, because RTH dont care. It wants what it wants and there is no room for error!
2018-1-28
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nobody here wants to argue with you, but your drone behaved exactly has it was programmed to do. Most people have done something daft at some point, I nearly put my phantom 3 into a tower Friday misjudging how much momentum it would carry through a turn, it was brown trouser time when I saw how close it came. The only problem I had was with your title. That could put newbies off using RTH. RTH is a very valuable function which has saved myself and I’m sure many others from losing there drones.
Anyway like I said this isn’t an attack on you.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-27 13:11
Sorry for your crash but RTH is a very useful feature, it is up to th3 pilot on each flight to determine the safe RTH altitude and set it accordingly. Or If you were flying below something and the RTH kicked in raising the drone into an object then this cannot be blamed on DJI. I can’t see how you can lay the blame anywhere apart from yourself.

I would just like to say that I am SORRY for the way I handled that yesterday. I guess I was expecting suggestions on a fix and/or other people that have experienced RTH crashes more that being told pilot error, pilot error.  I am fully aware I screwed up, I have a wife to tell me this and have no need to join a forum that tells me thee same thing! I agree RTH has many great features but it is still lacking. Now that's my opinion and I'm sure you have yours.
2018-1-28
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I know you said you have tried relink the controller but did you follow the manual or a video. If it was the manual i would watch a video and follow along.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-28 08:35
I know you said you have tried relink the controller but did you follow the manual or a video. If it was the manual i would watch a video and follow along.

Thanks but I have tried re-linking both ways.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2018-1-28 08:25
Nobody here wants to argue with you, but your drone behaved exactly has it was programmed to do. Most people have done something daft at some point, I nearly put my phantom 3 into a tower Friday misjudging how much momentum it would carry through a turn, it was brown trouser time when I saw how close it came. The only problem I had was with your title. That could put newbies off using RTH. RTH is a very valuable function which has saved myself and I’m sure many others from losing there drones.
Anyway like I said this isn’t an attack on you.

I agree and if there is a way to take that back please show me!
2018-1-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Sorry Foots - but again lack of understanding on your part again ...

As we find out more of the events - we get to know more about you as the pilot.

To have RTH act like Cruise on a car would be disaster ... I think I can safely say that majority are happy that RTH works as it does.

I shut off RTH several hundred feet up and flew around some more then decided I wanted to try RTH again but take over control with the joysticks when in RTH mode, that worked great until i got close to some trees (around 30 ft up) and let go of the joysticks to rethink my strategy! Well RTH was still active and it decided to go up and return to home again. Ended up hanging by the prop guard about 40 feet up a tree.

You obviously as most do - set RTH altitude at sensible height to clear obstacles. Judging by the quoted here - you used the controls while RTH was active (this is DJI allowing you to manoeuvre around obstacles that may be in the path), you decided to bring it down lower than RTH setting, which does not stop RTH wanting to rise to its set height when you let go. As you found out.

So sorry to bang on - but yes - your fault as you ungraciously admit.

Right - how to fix your problem ?

My P3P fell out of a tree after a silly action of mine. I split shell, broke the gimbal arm and base plate. Cost over 230 Euros to fix. So I think you were lucky to get away without breaking similar ... mine fell from a height about 15m ... similar to yours.

What damage you actually have - really needs DJI or someone with intimate knowledge of the AC to check. There is no way anyone here could get it right except by luck. Personally I think damage goes far beyond just simple plugs and sockets.

I'm sorry if you don't like my post - but we all actually in our own ways have tried to understand and help. I think you expected a magic answer ... well sorry but there is no magic answer - these models do not like being hung up in trees to then fall about 40ft to the ground. I would be very surprised if it was only a simple fault.

Nigel  
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-28 08:55
Sorry Foots - but again lack of understanding on your part again ...

As we find out more of the events - we get to know more about you as the pilot.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before sending it in!
2018-1-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Foots Posted at 2018-1-28 09:05
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before sending it in!

No problem ...

If the solution can be found by people here - great ... but many of the solutions are beyond forum posts ...

I hope your repairs are less than mine.

Nigel
2018-1-28
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
United States

I thought that I should elaborate more on what I said about the gimbal wires. There are many reasons the drone won't connect but this is an easy thing to check first. I've included some pictures to help understand what I'm talking about. There are two small gold connectors under two plastic caps. To check if these are connected properly you need to follow these steps. Follow at your own risk of course If you don't feel comfortable doing this then please don't!

There are four screws that are securing the two plastic caps on the top of the gimbal assembly. They are on the bottom-front and the bottom-left (with the camera facing you) of the gimbal.

After you remove the four screws the plastic caps should easily come off.

Check the gold antenna connectors and make sure they are secure. Be careful, the connectors are fragile.

2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

Josh the apple Posted at 2018-1-28 13:38
I thought that I should elaborate more on what I said about the gimbal wires. There are many reasons the drone won't connect but this is an easy thing to check first. I've included some pictures to help understand what I'm talking about. There are two small gold connectors under two plastic caps. To check if these are connected properly you need to follow these steps. Follow at your own risk of course  If you don't feel comfortable doing this then please don't!

There are four screws that are securing the two plastic caps on the top of the gimbal assembly. They are on the bottom-front and the bottom-left (with the camera facing you) of the gimbal.

Thanks for the elaboration,  but have checked those already.
2018-1-28
Use props
Foots
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-28 09:10
No problem ...

If the solution can be found by people here - great ... but many of the solutions are beyond forum posts ...

Thanks for the help Nigel but it appears to be beyond my abilities to repair, shipped her of yesterday after DJI support agreed.
2018-2-1
Use props
Noah Pitzer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 271135 ft
United States

So did you not set the RTH altitude highe enough and it parked itself in a tree or did the RTH just take the drone off course, and descend into a tree? The first one is all you, but the second could be at the fault of the drone.

I recently had a little mishap with my Mavic Pro where the drone went off course on RTH and descended into a tree. Thankfully the drone wasn’t harmed. I ran the logs and they revealed nothing that could propose me at fault. If you aren’t thinking it was your fault, don’t accept it. Even if everything looked ok, if it was the aircraft’s problem then you may be risking your drone by putting it back up in the air.
2018-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules