Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How much 4k video will fit on 32gb?
170761 16 2015-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jerdel
lvl.3

United States

Just curious I have a couple cards laying around. I have a samsung 64gb microsd xc 1 class 10 and  a 32gb samsung evo  Are either of these cards going to be good enough for 4k recording and how much 4k video could I expect to put on them?   Thanks
2015-4-26
Use props
sbarryjackson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

At least 32GB of video. If you are lucky, maybe more.
2015-4-26
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

When recording in 4k, you'll want a memory card that has a fast write speed. Here are two good options:

SanDisk with 90MB/s write speed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=OOGRROFPDPGMSJHB
Samsung with 50MB/s write speed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=QFJN2CWBWF4L46C6
2015-4-26
Use props
joeztan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5660620 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If both those cards are Class 10 then you should be fine as the cards are designed for continuous write speed of 10MB/sec.

Here are my calculation as to how much video you can store on them.

The P3 camera has a maximum 4K bitrate of 60Mbit/sec (60 million bits per second).

This equates to 60M/8 = 7.5MB/sec (7.5 megabytes per second).

A 32GB card stores 32 x 2^10 MB = 32,768 megabytes.

Therefore the maximum video that you can fit is:

32,768/7.5 = 4369 seconds = 72 minutes = 1.21 hours

Therefore, for a 64GB card, you can store double the above, roughly 2.4 hours.
2015-4-26
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

I believe you'll run out of battery power long before running out of memory with even a 32GB card, unless you buy a LOT of batteries...
2015-4-26
Use props
marceloeng
lvl.1
Flight distance : 428904 ft
United States

joeztan Posted at 2015-4-26 23:31
If both those cards are Class 10 then you should be fine as the cards are designed for continuous wr ...

in the forth line of your equation "60M/8" where does the 8 come from? Just curious where the figure comes from and how its related.

Thanks in advance!
2015-6-15
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.1

Lithuania

marceloeng Posted at 2015-6-16 00:42
in the forth line of your equation "60M/8" where does the 8 come from? Just curious where the figu ...

1 Byte (B) = 8 bits (b)
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-4-26 22:20
At least 32GB of video. If you are lucky, maybe more.

It isn't very likely you'll get the full "count" on any card!
I think what he was asking for was how much time can you record (at 4K) on
the 32 GB card.

The card in your Phantom *must* be formatted - that will take up a dinky amount of space. Plus, DJI recommends having the latest version of the firmware also present on the card - in the root directory, of course.

I have the minimum files on my 64 GB card - the Pilot app informs me that I have 60.673 G still available for writing. I see someone else already showed calculations that translate memory to time - for 4K video.

If 2 hours is a good guesstimate that's  about 6 batteries worth of recording (assuming you can get 20 minute flights consistently and recording the entire time.

Based on those kinds of assumptions, I would be that a 64 GB card would serve darn near anyone's needs. Since I personally have only two batteries (with two more on order) I'll run out of battery a long time before I run out of card space.
2015-6-15
Use props
chris.pugrud
lvl.3

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-4-26 22:24
When recording in 4k, you'll want a memory card that has a fast write speed. Here are two good optio ...

Mike - Any Class 10 or U1 card has to be able to write at 10MB/s sustained sequential, which is plenty fast enough to record to 7.5MB/s data stream for 4K and UHD (60Mbps = 7.5MB/s).

Until DJI fixes the bug that locks the SD bus at "Normal Speed" (12.5MB/s) buying a faster card will only help you get the data from the card to a computer more quickly. When the bug gets fixed, faster cards will really help photographers get more pictures more quickly and spend less time staring at the blue circle as the camera locks up writing photos to the card.
2015-6-15
Use props
me.kevinnicolso
First Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

i have a problem  in that when i do video for lets say  20 mins the video although was one single video that was 20 mins long the files are split ? they always split at 4.1gb
why is this and is their a way to make it just one big file, a few times it has split right at the best part of the video !!  it is 64gb and is in ntfs formatted in pilot app
2015-6-15
Use props
chris.pugrud
lvl.3

United States

me.kevinnicolso Posted at 2015-6-16 03:17
i have a problem  in that when i do video for lets say  20 mins the video although was one single vi ...

A good rule of thumb is you can get about 2mins per GB on the card of 4K or UHD video.

The P3 can't read NTFS, so I doubt your card is NTFS, but should be exFAT if you you formatted using the Pilot application.

If you really, really want/need a 20 minute continuous video you can splice the files back together with some basic editing software.  When you start to put the videos together into something more fun to watch you will end up pulling out clips that are 10-40 seconds long of your best stuff and editing that together.

Take some time before you fly and think about the shots you want to get.  Record from takeoff if you want, transition up to your start point, stop recording and take some pictures while you mentally rehearse the shot.  Start recording and make the shot, transistion, stop, take some photos and repeat.

When you get home and start reviewing your footage, having everything already broken down into discreet segments will save you a lot of time and clean up your organization.
2015-6-15
Use props
Noyag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 857946 ft
Netherlands

me.kevinnicolso Posted at 2015-6-15 20:17
i have a problem  in that when i do video for lets say  20 mins the video although was one single vi ...

That is a nasty 'bug' ( because you will lose a couple of frames between the files) that DJI is unwilling/unable to resolve.
2016-11-2
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

chris.pugrud@gm Posted at 2015-6-15 13:55
A good rule of thumb is you can get about 2mins per GB on the card of 4K or UHD video.

The P3 can ...

Fat32 is the default SD card format for cards from 4 to 32 GB and that limits it to a maximum file size of 4G. That is why the video files break at 4G. If you format the card in the aircraft it will format as FAT32 and you will never get around the 4G files size limit.

For a 64G card you could in theory format in exFAT on a computer allowing you to get larger contiguous video files but I have not tried this.
2016-11-2
Use props
FAU4U
lvl.1

2018-4-15
Use props
FAU4U
lvl.1

This table will give readers the Video-Time for three Card sizes and two common Video Bitrates.
2018-4-15
Use props
flamingo337
lvl.1

Russia

It depends on what kind of video, if 4K movies like here like https://4k-hd.club/ then one file would fit, you need to look for site, for example, documentary, they weigh less.
2018-8-16
Use props
jyotisam1
New

India

It depends on what kind of video you have which you want to watch, if 4k movies like here like https://hdmoviesplanet4u.com/ then one file would fit, you need to look for site, for example, documentary, they weigh less.
2019-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules