First flyaway - but no problem
1094 29 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

I just had my first flyaway. Thanks to the advice given on this forum I was able to recover it.

The only thing that had changed was my Nexus 7 decided it needed to update Android - which it did. I launched from my balcony using 4.1.15 (but no OTG) like I have done many times before. I set the Spark down on some grass in the open and clear of anything. Shut down, started up with new home point set and took off. After about 5 mins I got a message saying link to AC was lost. It went up some then started returning to the home point a steady pace. I was quite interested because it was the first time I had needed a RTH.

However it went past the home point and continued its steady way into the distance not responding to any stick controls. I switched to sport mode, as has been suggested on the forum, and was able to regain control. I have always been about nervous, having read other peoples problems, but this little episode has actualy given me increased confidence in using my Spark.
2018-1-28
Use props
warubikku
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
United States

Out of curiosity, why not an OTG? Seeing how 4.1.15 works perfect with it.
2018-1-28
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

this is a good feedback.
2018-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job, you could look into log to see if homepoint was saved.
2018-1-28
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

So your Nexus updatet to Android 8.x?

Oops, MM is the latest, so what was the update for?
2018-1-28
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

awesome, heads-up piloting. i've found that keeping up on the forum really does help with a number of issues.
2018-1-28
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for the post, good info.  Where there any issues in the flight log?  Atti mode, home point not set or updated, etc.
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

I was not using OTG because I was just doing some local testing. I would use it if I was doing some work at a distance.
I have no idea what the Android update was. I rarely connect the Nexus to the internet as I keep it solely for drone work (and echo sounding with a different app)
I will get around to checking the logs and report back if I find anything untoward.
And yes Solestacz , it is definitely worth keeping an eye on the threads here - just don't be too put off by some of the more excitable pilots.
2018-1-28
Use props
Spark Kam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 417 ft
United States

MikB Posted at 2018-1-28 07:20
I was not using OTG because I was just doing some local testing. I would use it if I was doing some work at a distance.
I have no idea what the Android update was. I rarely connect the Nexus to the internet as I keep it solely for drone work (and echo sounding with a different app)
I will get around to checking the logs and report back if I find anything untoward.

Thank you for this information MikB Did you have video feed  at anytime after it said the AC was lost?
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

No I was just demonstrating the Spark to a friend and was not recording.
2018-1-28
Use props
TellyWise
lvl.2
United States

Glad you knew what to do. I'm always afraid to fly my Spark too far for fear of fly-aways. Switching to Sport Mode is something that I'm going to remember. Thanks for sharing.
2018-1-28
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing this. It's good to know that Sport Mode can be used in this manner.
2018-1-28
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Never do it again from the balcony. It's not only the Ac should be at a clear area but also the RC. This is important for downlink restoring during lost connection.
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good recovery
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2018-1-28 08:37
Never do it again from the balcony. It's not only the Ac should be at a clear area but also the RC. This is important for downlink restoring during lost connection.

Thanks for that info. I grounded it clear to check satellites and avoid compass errors.
I guess some sort of interference did prevent a re-connection. I have flown from there many times before but, of course, that means nothing.

2018-1-28
Use props
Spark Kam
lvl.2
United States

MikB Posted at 2018-1-28 08:10
No I was just demonstrating the Spark to a friend and was not recording.

I was referring to the DJI Go video signal on your phone. Did that feed ever come back or were you LOS the entire time?
2018-1-28
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Heartfelt congratulations, good job!
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

Spark Kam Posted at 2018-1-28 08:59
I was referring to the DJI Go video signal on your phone. Did that feed ever come back or were you LOS the entire time?

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. No, it never came back. I just relied on line of sight
2018-1-28
Use props
Spark Kam
lvl.2
United States

MikB Posted at 2018-1-28 09:51
Ah sorry, I misunderstood. No, it never came back. I just relied on line of sight

Ok....Thank You! Great Information!!
2018-1-28
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Does RTH shut down remote stick inputs?  I  don't mind autopilot helping for mundane tasks but if I grab the control sticks, like in a real airplane, the aircraft better respond.

Odd that RTH was flying right by the home point.  If it didn't have compass or GPS so it couldn't find home point, then it shouldn't have been able to go into RTH mode.  If it did have a good compass and GPS, then it shouldn't have been able to fly past the established home point.  Odd.
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-28 10:28
Does RTH shut down remote stick inputs?  I  don't mind autopilot helping for mundane tasks but if I grab the control sticks, like in a real airplane, the aircraft better respond.

Odd that RTH was flying right by the home point.  If it didn't have compass or GPS so it couldn't find home point, then it shouldn't have been able to go into RTH mode.  If it did have a good compass and GPS, then it shouldn't have been able to fly past the established home point.  Odd.

I should have said I assumed RTH had started. It was only when it sailed past I started to panic (I was going to lose sight of it behind the house) and switched to Sport mode. I suppose I could check the log.

What I do find strange is that the RC was not communicating with the AC but as soon as I switched to Sport mode it had control.
2018-1-28
Use props
djiuser_yxfdr03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

2018-1-28
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

When in rth, mine can be overridden at any time with sticks.
Sounds like home point was mis- recorded by not waiting long enough. Spark will set it asap in flight, but you could be way off by then. If gps was not locked rear indicators would have been yell not green.
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

I understand that is the case but I think I was not in RTH mode - I just jumped to that conclusion. I am pretty confident that home point was set correctly because, as I said, I put it down on the ground away from the house away from any interference and waited till I was sure I had satellites and home point fixed before taking off again. I need to check logs to see what I did wrong.
2018-1-28
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice info about Sport mode. I've found many problems that occur can be fixed by keeping calm using your brain.
2018-1-28
Use props
MikB
lvl.4
France

Bing Err Posted at 2018-1-28 16:48
Nice info about Sport mode. I've found many problems that occur can be fixed by keeping calm using your brain.

"Calm" is not quite the word I would have used in my situation. I had to change my underwear three times before it landed!

One thought did occur to me. If you lose contact as described and have lost sight of the AC you can use the trace on the map to know which way the AC was pointing at the time. Then by using the right stick only you may at least bring it back to within sight.
2018-1-29
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Does RTH shut down remote stick inputs?

Answer= YES
2018-1-29
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

No. when mine lands on rth I can correct its descent as required.
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

MikB Posted at 2018-1-28 14:06
I should have said I assumed RTH had started. It was only when it sailed past I started to panic (I was going to lose sight of it behind the house) and switched to Sport mode. I suppose I could check the log.

What I do find strange is that the RC was not communicating with the AC but as soon as I switched to Sport mode it had control.

Sir, sorry for your lost. Please try to find your drone with the last location. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support. You can provide the flight records to locate the problem.
2018-2-2
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Glad to hear you managed to gain control of your Spark. I have used my Spark in my garden and living room in sports mode a lots of times and It’s great. It’s very responsive to the sticks. Attic mode without SPorts it acts very weird sometimes if there are too many obstructions.
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules