1064 10 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

The release of the Mavic Air revealed a physically identical camera senor and internal comonents as the Mavic Pro.  However, according to literature, software upgrades with the Air allow for 120fps in 1080p among other processing improvements.  Has anyone heard rumors or know if the next firmware update will allow the Mavic Pro camera to benefit from some of these improvements?
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nothing confirmed but it is possible. Not sure if the Air will have c.4K too in return. We'll see.
2018-1-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

It's unlikely to be a physically identical camera, since the original Mavic Pro components we're spec'd in 2015/2016. It's a newer camera stack that happens to employ the same sensor size and pixel density, but that really doesn't tell you anything; such are only part of the quality/feature equation.  
2018-1-28
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Why would they update the camera software?
If they do so, you probably would not buy a newer drone because you are happy with what you already got.
This is not in the best interest of DJI, they would like you to buy a newer  drone with better specifications.
2018-1-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2018-1-28 10:01
If they do so, you probably would not buy a newer drone because you are happy with what you already got.
This is not in the best interest of DJI, they would like you to buy a newer  drone with better specifications.

To be fair DJI has upgraded camera software several times, adding and modifying color profiles, tweaking jpg rendering and adjusting for color shift/vignetting, but they can only work within the limitations of the existing camera stack hardware.

Think of it this way, if you bought a cellphone in 2016 and expected the camera to perform the same way as cameras in 2018 cellphones, would that be reasonable expectation?

2018-1-28
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-28 09:52
It's unlikely to be a physically identical camera, since the original Mavic Pro components we're spec'd in 2015/2016. It's a newer camera stack that happens to employ the same sensor size and pixel density, but that really doesn't tell you anything; such are only part of the quality/feature equation.

Precisely, this is what I was referring to.  If they can program the camera with the same sensor to capture at a faster frame rate, in theory, it should be possible to do the same for the current Mavic.  Though I am not certain of the physical stack differences; my initial question derived from a colleague, a beta tester who reviewed the internal camera components.  Yes, there are difference, but there are enough similarities that could beg the question, is there something in the works?
2018-1-28
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2018-1-28 10:01

I'm thinking that the Mavic Pro 2  will have a physically redesigned camera system (ie. true optical zoom) .  Improvements that can not be adjusted via software.  But, I see you point.
2018-1-28
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

It is my understanding that the Air writes to the sd card more than twice as fast as the mavic, so it can handle/send more frames per second with less compression. Word is that it is hardware and not firmware.
2018-1-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your attention. We will inform users and update the info in release note if we have this plan.
2018-2-4
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It's possibly the same sensor, but different processor that allows a better bandwith (100 mb)  which in the end allows better quality. FPS are possible a matter of a different processor. I hardly doubt they'll update the MPro to have the same capabilties as the Air, but who knows... I don't understand the Mavic Air at all (seems to be a thing in the middle that makes you question what shall you buy, the air or the pro)
2018-2-4
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

I saw a video the other day where the DJI rep said it wasn't possible due to hardware limitations.

2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules